wake up billy

Liam

2 hours ago, Liam said:

get it!? because he said wake up when september ends!?

It would have been more convincing if you had spelled "Billie" correctly. 🤣

billy joel was asleep all september time to wake up this armstrung

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Liam said:

get it!? because he said wake up when september ends!?

omg lawl you're such a kidderrrrrrrrrr

So a good friend made this joke on Facebook and I commented "I am literally going to kill you 🤣" as a joke. And then Facebook immediately deleted it and warned me for "making threats," but a few days ago I made the mistake of reading some comments on a news article, found someone telling someone else to kill themselves (and it was not a joke), reported it to Facebook, and Facebook told me it did not violate their standards. Oh, and there is also STILL anti-vax and Trumpian conspiracy shit showing up on my timeline that I keep reporting and nothing ever gets done. So yeah, weird flex, Mark Zuckerberg.

Never had anything like this happen before in 9 years on Facebook because I generally just interact with my friends, so things stay drama-free. I actually disagreed with the decision and they reviewed it and stuck to it just a few minutes later, which tells me no human actually looked at it. 

Why is this still going around like it's fact? Wasn't this debunked a while ago? (From Twitter's trending pages today.)

Screen-Shot-2021-10-01-at-12-55-44-PM.pn

4 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Why is this still going around like it's fact? Wasn't this debunked a while ago? (From Twitter's trending pages today.)

Screen-Shot-2021-10-01-at-12-55-44-PM.pn

I mean, Billie didn't deny it in the interview they're quoting so I wouldn't hold it against them. A lot of Green Day history would be a lot less muddy if he cared enough to actually explain things when he's interviewed :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRCm6D1YJno

It's kind of amusing how totally unphased Billie seems while Howard tells the whole cringe-ass story :lol:

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Lady Mix-A-Lot said:

It would have been more convincing if you had spelled "Billie" correctly. 🤣

Can someone post the gif of the joke flying of someone’s head please?

27 minutes ago, Liam said:

Can someone post the gif of the joke flying of someone’s head please?

I mean I get your joke, but I don't get the part of why you deliberately spelled his name wrong. If there is something I am missing can you please explain it?

5 hours ago, Hermione said:

I think Billie didn't even get that it was that story. I think he thought Stern was just vaguely imagining the situation when he was younger and that when Stern said "and you go 'wake me up when september ends'" he thought he was just talking about when he wrote the song. Billie thinks the "story" is that his dad died and it was tragic and years later he still remembered how he felt and wrote a song about it. 

It's so cringe that as well as just fans making these solemn "don't joke about WMUWSE" posts there's now media/news posts about it too. When I see them on social media with non gd fans commenting as well I can't take how embarassing it is lol.

The joke is it's a low effort joke and low effort spelling of his name adds to that, along with low effort typing in all lower case. Can also be seen as a nod to people who aren't even Green Day fans (and therefore don't know how to spell Billie's name) making bad attempts at the joke each year. 

Yeah it’s possible that he didn’t connect with with the story, even though I doubt he didn’t hear it before considering it’s everywhere.

It’s super embarrassing, especially since people usually make the joke without any bad intent, they probably remember to make a cheesy joke about the song because they like it and it gives the band attention and higher streaming numbers every year. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 2:16 AM, Slave To The Network said:

Either Billie's doesn't care enough to correct these kinds of people because they are not personally important in his life and he doesn't care what impression of him they have or he's just too nice. Or both. Or something else.

Yeah, what @Hermione said. Liam spelled it "Billy" because that's how a non-Green Day fan would most likely spell it along with making such a stupid, tired joke in the first place. Adds to the whole "oMG YoU GUyZ WAKe uP ThE grEEn DaY GUy!" vibe.

OK, now that I fully get the joke I actually really support @Liam doing this to troll this stupid joke LOL. 

Even if I wanted to participate in this bs, the time difference is too great.

It's 3 hours earlier in Cali than where I am.  Also, what is his sleep schedule?  He's a rock star, but also has a wife and kids.  

So it's unclear when exactly he sleeps.  Also, is he supposedly singing the song in his sleep?

Let's talk semantics here.

Better yet, heartbreak.

I will never forget that at my grandfather's funeral in September 2006, my mom turned to me and said "this is like the song".  

Dang.

• Sad 2