Happy 17 years to American Idiot

Little Boy Named Booze

Happy 17 years to American Idiot... Damn I feel old.
What was your favourite song when you first listen to the album and what is your favourite song now, in 2021?

For me at my first listen in 2004 my favourite song was Holiday.
Today it's St. Jimmy.

https://loudwire.com/green-day-american-idiot-album-anniversary/

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Happy 17 years to American Idiot... Damn I feel old.
What was your favourite song when you first listen to the album and what is your favourite song now, in 2021?

For me at my first listen in 2004 my favourite song was Holiday.
Today it's St. Jimmy.

https://loudwire.com/green-day-american-idiot-album-anniversary/

How has it been this long??????? My favorite song then was Boulevard of Broken Dreams, and it still is now. This is the album that introduced me to Green Day.

Can’t believe it was so long ago. This was the album that got me into Green Day. I still remember how my friend came over and brought me the CD couple of days after it was released. Back in 2004 my favorite was Holiday, today it’s probably JOS

• Like 3

I always had a hard time just choosing one song from the entire album and cause it’s that great but I’ll say, probably extraordinary girl, holiday or st jimmy

• Like 1

I got to see them perform AI in its entirety @ the Vic in Chicago days before its release. Holy smokes, you could tell something big was going down.

Then: Give me Novacaine

Now: Letterbomb or Whatsername

Edited by Radiation Field
  • Like 4
  • Surprised 1

I credit this album with reviving my interest in music and love every song and everything about them.  I remember running out of work at lunchtime to buy the CD and playing it in the car in the way home and being completely blown away by 21 Guns as it was so different.  Can’t pic a favourite, love AI , Letterbomb so much and think Whatsername is amazing, still gives me goosebumps 17 years on! Masterpiece ❤️❤️❤️

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jengd said:

I credit this album with reviving my interest in music and love every song and everything about them.  I remember running out of work at lunchtime to buy the CD and playing it in the car in the way home and being completely blown away by 21 Guns as it was so different.  Can’t pic a favourite, love AI , Letterbomb so much and think Whatsername is amazing, still gives me goosebumps 17 years on! Masterpiece ❤️❤️❤️

21 guns?

• Haha 3

It's hard to pick a favorite because almost every song has helped define a moment over the last 17 years.

When I first listened, my favorite song was probably Give Me Novacaine. 

Now, Jesus of Suburbia. It's a great song that over the years has helped me see the world differently. Also, it's my favorite song to hear live.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

21 guns?

Omg, that is not what I meant to write, it came on while I was writing that reply, how’s that for putting ideas in your mind!  I meant to say BOBD. 🤣🤣🤦🏼🤦🏼

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jengd said:

Omg, that is not what I meant to write, it came on while I was writing that reply, how’s that for putting ideas in your mind!  I meant to say BOBD. 🤣🤣🤦🏼🤦🏼

Me too! (I know I already said that above LOL.) This album came out when I was 13. BOBD was the first Green Day song I ever heard, and it felt like someone had written a song about my life. It was just so different from anything else I had ever heard before. Then I just wanted to hear everything Green Day ever made, which I eventually did, and pretty much all of it seemed to perfectly explain how I felt about the things I saw in the world around me. The obsession goes in cycles and has been back big time for the past few years after reaching a low point for a few years before that as I went through some tough times and drifted away from a lot of things I had cared about. I like to see reembracing Green Day as part of a larger whole of reembracing the person I was meant to be.

Wow that means it's been over 17 years since I moved out of home!

I had downloaded a copy before the official release date (music always leaked early back then you never waited for release day)

I remember blasting the CD in the car on my way to pick up the keys to our unit. It was such an exciting day on so many levels..

Favourite songs back then were Jesus Of Subirbia and Holiday. Still are..

Oh and before anyone tries to sue me I did buy the CD as soon as it came out 

• Like 1

Whatsername is still going strong as my favorite Green Day song, and American Idiot is my favorite album of all time. It's just an absolutely perfect, timeless masterpiece.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, Squashie said:

Give Me Novacaine. Then and now. 
this was also my first GD concert 

Same.. Give Me Novacaine it's my favorite song

This is the album that got me into them so, I remember the first time I saw the American Idiot video on MTV, it was right in that moment I thought "who the fuck are these fuckers, I might fall in love with them" and I was just 11 years old, and that's amazing, never left them since that moment. 
I remember that when I saw the AI video I was so hypnotized I forgot to reed the band's name so I spent the next weeks to find out, by staying on mtv all day long to try to catch them, and then Boulevard came into the channel with its music video, and there I was like "yes, I totally fell in love with them!" That video hits you in a special way. 
Today when I see the AI video I can feel the same emotions, so it's for the Waiting video too, the first time I saw it on International Super Videos I cried because I thought it was too beautiful ahah
Then I have this thing that I never downloaded nothing illegally (from them ops) before having the cd thought my hands, I mean it was like I discovered them slowly, like: "ok I'm gonna buy Warning now" and listened it forever, when I got to knew every song, I bought another and so on, in one year literally from Christmas to Christmas I had the entire discography form 1039 to Bullet in a bible, that was my first CD ❤️ and I love it with all my heart and all started with American Idiot.  
OH GOSH I WROTE SO MUCH and maybe got OT sorry ahah 

So these 2 songs have a special place into my heart so I can say: 

Then: American Idiot and Boulevard 
Now: Jesus of Suburbia (and the 2 above ❤️)  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

17 years? Wow. This is the album that got me into Green Day. I still remember my friend in HS trying to convince me to ditch Blink-182 and come over to the Green Day side. It kind of worked! (Still like Blink-182 lol) 

This album blew me away when I first heard it. I listened to it every day, trying to remember all the lyrics and seeing how much of the album I could play on guitar. I'm still proud of being able to play JOS. And it was the start of a lifelong obsession with the band and eventually being introduced to this community of like minded fans.

As others have said, it's hard to pick favorites. I think in 2004 my fave was Give Me Novocaine. Now...maybe Are We the Waiting/St Jimmy.

• Like 2

Happy Birthday to my favourite album. 
Jesus Of Suburbia has been my favourite song since ages. Many years has passed but everytime I have the same feelings. 

Funny story 
I remember I found out about Boulevard because it was in a commercial of an italian soccer game 
I remember I was in a supermarket once, I heard the refrain "ah ah, ah ah" and I was like "Oh the song of that program! I like it!"