Go Behind the Scenes on tour at OaklandCoffee.com

pacejunkie punk

1 hour ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

How do you delete a post? I didn’t mean to make two in a row.

You can't but if you edit it to just say "delete this" or "wrong thread" or "." or whatever a mod will do it when they see it (or they would anyway if they noticed it was a double post) :) 

• Love 1

I mean, I definitely understand people's frustration. I have no use for the coffee either, though I am thinking of gifting a subscription to a friend who would likely enjoy it. Yes, it is awfully expensive, I am far from rich, and I feel the subscription may price out a lot of people. Having said all that, Green Day is not obligated to provide people with free content. Social media has gotten everyone accustomed to the idea that everything should be free, while not realizing how dearly they are actually paying in terms of their data (and one may now argue, their mental health and broader social cohesion). All that "free" stuff made Mark Zuckerberg a billionaire LOL. Green Day certainly doesn't need the money LOL, but if it is going to good, like paying coffee farmers fairly and funding food banks, then I really don't have a problem with it. 

I know most people here miss Billie on social media, but I think he has good reasons for staying off. I think most of us can agree it's a pretty toxic place right now. Yes, you have to have a certain amount of thick skin as a celebrity, but no one is obligated to take abuse. I applaud Billie for doing what is right for him. Maybe social media was too stressful, maybe he's boycotting platforms that have done a lot of harm recently, who knows. That's for him to know. I would honestly not be surprised if more and more celebs start doing likewise.

It's not like you're forced to take the subs.
BTS vids will be available anyway. People will find a way to watch those vids without being subscribed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

It's not like you're forced to take the subs.
BTS vids will be available anyway. People will find a way to watch those vids without being subscribed.

Hope so 🤞

• Like 1

Just now, Slave To The Network said:

Right? It would make way more sense to have this be through a Green Day oriented thing. Idiot Nation would offer exclusive pictures and videos sometimes. If they did something like that again then I would understand. The decision to tether it to coffee is just bizarre and obviously excludes a lot of fans. I would pay for Green Day only content (at a more reasonable price), but I don't want coffee stuff.

Hopefully it's really just a tie-in and the paid subscription isn't actually what gets you the content, or it's only a small amount of it behind the paywall. If that's all it is I have no problem with it (other than finding it weird lol), so I'll reserve judgement.

Is Idiot Nation gone? I forget. I disliked it but I would buy a year's subscription when there was a tour just to get the ticket presales. I better not ever have to sign up for coffee for that lmao

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Slave To The Network said:

I get what you're saying, but this is exactly the kind of thing that should be free for fans. I understand paying for music, concert tickets, merch, etc. That makes sense. Something that's essentially the same as what they were doing during RevRad with their livestreams to foster that deep connection they have with fans should not be stuck behind a coffee paywall. The kind of content it is conveys the intention of wanting to connect with fans and that should be free. That's just my opinion, though.

I mean, that does make sense. I agree that that kind of thing should ideally be free, but how does one really make that happen? Yes, there is social media, but I have a feeling it hasn't been a super healthy place for Billie lately, just like it hasn't been for most of us, and maybe he doesn't want to do this in a way that just benefits some billionaire somewhere. I suppose they could put all this content on the Green Day website, though that place isn't really interactive. A subscription like Idiot Club could work, but where would that money go? They make all the money they could ever need from their music, and charging for more content could just look like poor form. At least with Oakland Coffee, they are doing something with some positive impact on the world outside themselves. Yes it is a niche product, but that's probably why they are doing things this way. They likely are using the Green Day content to drive dollars to this endeavor because otherwise probably no one would pay attention to it. 

I just get the feeling Billie is not a big fan of his fans right now.  Not everyone but just the fan culture, social media, cancel culture, etc.  I think they are consciously making decisions that limit fan discourse and negative commentary.  

• Sad 2

You can be a fan of a band but can you be a fan of a corporation? 

(I wouldn’t pay for exclusive content either way because fuck you though haha)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Biddymc said:

I just get the feeling Billie is not a big fan of his fans right now.  Not everyone but just the fan culture, social media, cancel culture, etc.  I think they are consciously making decisions that limit fan discourse and negative commentary.  

Billie has always made clear that he loves his fans, and I don't think that has changed. If anything, he probably appreciates them all the more after what we have all been through. I think it is more an issue of platform and, as you note, culture. Yes it is unfortunate that a probably relatively small group of people had to ruin everything for everyone else, but isn't that basically the story of this world in the past few years LOL? I applaud Billie for doing what is right for him and staying out of the swamp. 

20 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

You can be a fan of a band but can you be a fan of a corporation? 

(I wouldn’t pay for exclusive content either way because fuck you though haha)

I don't think this is going to be an issue because @Little Boy Named Booze is going to save us all by sharing all of it anyway. Give this man a round of applause. 🤣

I think I already said this LOL, but I think they are just trying to use the fan connection to drive business to the coffee because otherwise the coffee would likely get no attention. Paying may suck but paying a business that is at least attempting to do some social good and provides a tangible and usable product feels more fair than just straight up paying to be a fan and giving money to people who already make enough LOL. 

P.S. Good to see you back here. We missed you. 

23 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

Billie has always made clear that he loves his fans, and I don't think that has changed. If anything, he probably appreciates them all the more after what we have all been through. I think it is more an issue of platform and, as you note, culture. Yes it is unfortunate that a probably relatively small group of people had to ruin everything for everyone else, but isn't that basically the story of this world in the past few years LOL? I applaud Billie for doing what is right for him and staying out of the swamp. 

I don't think this is going to be an issue because @Little Boy Named Booze is going to save us all by sharing all of it anyway. Give this man a round of applause. 🤣

I think I already said this LOL, but I think they are just trying to use the fan connection to drive business to the coffee because otherwise the coffee would likely get no attention. Paying may suck but paying a business that is at least attempting to do some social good and provides a tangible and usable product feels more fair than just straight up paying to be a fan and giving money to people who already make enough LOL. 

P.S. Good to see you back here. We missed you. 

I (almost) have a degree in marketing. I know what they’re doing very well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I (almost) have a degree in marketing. I know what they’re doing very well.

I am sure you do. BTW, I thought you were doing a translating degree? Or a literature degree? And you were writing a thesis? How many degrees do you have LOL?

Green Day and Weezer are both managed by Crush. The Weezer fan club looks amazing.  No coffee required. Why can’t they do this? I’d LOVE to join something like this for Green Day

This is all it comes with:

We hope you will join us and sign up for a membership in the Weezer Fan Club! Here's what you get for your $55 annual membership fee: 

Exclusive Fan Club T-Shirt

2 Fan Club Only Enamel Pins

Rock Music Candle and companion matches in custom match box

Presale Ticket Access with unique individualized presale codes to deter scalping and bots (where available)

In-app access to Exclusive Fan Club Only Merchandise Store

In-app Fan Club only Karl’s Corner exclusive feed posts, Karl’s Camera Livestreaming from tour, and Club only Message Boards

Regular Push Notifications so you don’t miss out on Weezer news and presales.

Your own unique membership number, with membership numbering continuing from the original club numbering back in the 1990's (see in-app sidebar for details on how to get a physical membership card)

Access to Fan Club Only Facebook group, where you can hang out and share with your fellow Club members, including us, and maybe even band members from time to time!

And, when available:

Surprises from Karl and Lisa, including random drawings for special prizes, Club only "Vault Dive" video chats with Karl (and possible special guests), opportunities to get photos with the band (only when possible, cannot guarantee), and more!

• Like 4

This is perfect and I would definitely subscribe to something like this for Green Day!  Jealous 😒

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vintage Disciple said:

This is perfect and I would definitely subscribe to something like this for Green Day!  Jealous 😒

Soooo jealous 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Soooo jealous 

Right?  You take the social media interaction away from the fans (which I understand why he left) but then to go from that intimacy to a coffee subscription to get a peek of behind the scenes content from their business?  Yeah, I know they don't owe us anything but this is a bit disenfranchising to say the least.  Disappointed.  🥺

• Like 2

I miss the social media interaction. Like Twitter was abandoned and then Instagram was so fun. And now this. How good or interactive could it be?

I liked the livestreams and the stories on Instagram. 

I am already disappointed by something that hasn’t happened but I am just thinking about how disappointing the little interviews were on the coffeehouse section of the site. Yeah they’re interviews on a site that sells coffee of course they’re contrived.

No more live Instagram stories where Billie says… I think one time he was talking about something in the back of a taxi or Uber and he said something inappropriate. But I don’t remember it was an IG story that has been lost to the ages. I miss that stuff. 

Everything is going to be so… edited and thought about and not too silly. Like fake silly if it’s silly. Staged. 

Wait and see. I’m making assumptions. And I’m just whining because I miss the social media posts a lot.

Wait and see. Maybe everything is going to be alright.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Biddymc said:

I really wonder if that's the case. It feels like that, anyway. Maybe that's because it's been literally almost 2 years since Billie's been able to have a face to face connection with fans in a concert setting and has just become disenchanted with online interaction in all forms. It's so wildly different having sterile, remote interactions over media than it is to be physically there in the same space with people. We don't know how he's feeling about fans because we can't ask him, so can only make assumptions that may or may not be true and that's probably not a great thing to do - for us or for Billie. I think he'll start appearing a lot more engaged and joyful once he gets back in the swing of playing shows again, though.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Vintage Disciple said:

This is the kind of stuff I will miss the most...🥺 🥰

This was the absolute best ❤️ Such a beautiful surprise and felt so off the cuff… He was trying something ❤️ and it was perfect ❤️ this was my fav random livestream ❤️ 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Green Day and Weezer are both managed by Crush. The Weezer fan club looks amazing.  No coffee required. Why can’t they do this? I’d LOVE to join something like this for Green Day

This is all it comes with:

We hope you will join us and sign up for a membership in the Weezer Fan Club! Here's what you get for your $55 annual membership fee: 

Exclusive Fan Club T-Shirt

2 Fan Club Only Enamel Pins

Rock Music Candle and companion matches in custom match box

Presale Ticket Access with unique individualized presale codes to deter scalping and bots (where available)

In-app access to Exclusive Fan Club Only Merchandise Store

In-app Fan Club only Karl’s Corner exclusive feed posts, Karl’s Camera Livestreaming from tour, and Club only Message Boards

Regular Push Notifications so you don’t miss out on Weezer news and presales.

Your own unique membership number, with membership numbering continuing from the original club numbering back in the 1990's (see in-app sidebar for details on how to get a physical membership card)

Access to Fan Club Only Facebook group, where you can hang out and share with your fellow Club members, including us, and maybe even band members from time to time!

And, when available:

Surprises from Karl and Lisa, including random drawings for special prizes, Club only "Vault Dive" video chats with Karl (and possible special guests), opportunities to get photos with the band (only when possible, cannot guarantee), and more!

This seems so amazing. I wish they would do something like this. I knew the Idiot Club was going extinct (and from when I just tried to enter the site... looks like it no longer exists finally) but I wish they could revamp it. I typically get my coffee from another place but I might cave and get it for the mug/add that vinyl. 

• Like 3