My Life On MTV new series, artists include Green Day

jengd

Interesting.

curious how the “to present day” is going to be since MTV hasn’t played music on their channel since, what… 2009? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Squashie said:

Interesting.

curious how the “to present day” is going to be since MTV hasn’t played music on their channel since, what… 2009? 

They still do the VMA’s, and don’t they have MTV2 and MTV Classic and VH1 that still have music related programming?

1 hour ago, Todd said:

They still do the VMA’s, and don’t they have MTV2 and MTV Classic and VH1 that still have music related programming?

They do have an MTV station that also solely plays music videos 24/7, I don't remember what it is called. When I was little it was called MTV Hits and I watched it all the time to wait for Green Day videos lol.

1 hour ago, Todd said:

I don’t consider MTV to be a factor in music like it was in the 90s and early 2000s when it was a huge influence in pop culture and helped drive industry. 

Every time I check MTV/VH1 (even Fuse) all they are playing is 90s sitcoms. I never see music being played. I know they tried to revive TRL a few years ago.

edit: I can only really watch these stations when I’m at my parents because I do not have cable.

2 hours ago, Todd said:

In other countries, I think so? But MTV Classic and MTV Live are the only dedicated music channels in the U.S.

5 hours ago, Squashie said:

Interesting.

I thought it was even longer than that. Granted, we only had this channel sporadically when I was growing up, but I feel like MTV has basically been stupid reality shows for nearly 20 years. I certainly don't remember any music videos on it when I was a teenager.

4 hours ago, BillieMyLove said:

I thought it was even longer than that. Granted, we only had this channel sporadically when I was growing up, but I feel like MTV has basically been stupid reality shows for nearly 20 years. I certainly don't remember any music videos on it when I was a teenager.

TRL was our main show after school. I think it started fading out around 06-07. Fuse used to be great as well. Daily download, stevens untitled rock show, and more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squashie said:

TRL was our main show after school. I think it started fading out around 06-07. Fuse used to be great as well. Daily download, stevens untitled rock show, and more. 

I think I vaguely remember TRL. But yeah, I know in high school (06-07 was my sophomore year) and definitely by the time I was about to start college, the whole damn thing had been taken over by Jersey Shore and similar nonsense. 

Also, this might be a little off topic, but is anyone else really interested to see how they handle Britney Spears? I have never been a Britney Spears fan, but I recall how the tabloid media treated here\ when she had her struggles in the mid/late 2000s, how she was the butt of every late night joke, etc. No human deserves to be treated that way. I didn't watch the documentary and admit I don't know much about her situation, but I do know that no one who is struggling should be stigmatized the way she has been.

Can someone capture this when it airs?

Caught the ending of Snoop Dogg’s episode just now on MTV Classic, so it seems like all the episodes will repeat at some point.

• Like 2

Watched the SnoopDog one and it was pretty routine stuff, heavy on how great MTV was but of course will watch GD but don’t expect anything deep or new I’m afraid. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jengd said:

Watched the SnoopDog one and it was pretty routine stuff, heavy on how great MTV was but of course will watch GD but don’t expect anything deep or new I’m afraid. 

Any performances, or all clips?

6 hours ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

Any performances, or all clips?

Mainly people walking about talking.  It was P Diddy or Puff Daddy 😂😂 and Snoop and there wasn’t one performance in the whole thing, it wasn’t even very long so you can imagine the depth, and it was almost entirely about their MTV or TRL connections/performances.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, jetsrule128 said:

Watched it but it cut it off at the end so I have to see it again when it airs again Monday 🤣

The Green Day episode?

Just now, pacejunkie punk said:

The Green Day episode?

Yes 

It’s not on the app yet but they are airing it again on Monday 

6 hours ago, jetsrule128 said:

Thanks. Shame it was only a twenty minute show split between two bands. Ten minutes for Green Day. They have so much archive content they could easily have done an episode per band. I thought each episode was gonna be 45 minutes (hour with commercials)

• Like 1