Oakland Coffee House starting tomorrow 4/14

pacejunkie punk

I mean, I know that whatever Green Day does seems to be met with disappointment around here, but we have actually gotten a lot out of them in the past year. We had an album (even if it wasn't people's fave), then we had the NFM covers, then we had a Network album, then we got a new song (again, even if it wasn't people's fave), etc. Add to that a number of performances (late night shows, covid benefits, etc.). It's actually amazing how productive they have been, arguably a lot more than most of us in this pandemic LOL. Really the only thing that was disrupted was the tour (which I am still confident is coming at some point). 

Green Day are amazing and complainer fans that only seem to complain are spoiled and not very supportive. I think Green Day is amazing. And I’d like to see any other band release 3 or 4 albums a year plus side projects plus singles plus whatever else and a cover band or two and club shows and stadium shows and a heck of a lot more. And they’re far from boring or churning out the same stuff all the time. They evolve they know their roots they are a total perfect band and I love them. We are so lucky. People who don’t get that probably don’t know how hard it is to do all that and how epically great Green Day is as a band and as artists. I’m guessing the complainers don’t have much else going on in their lives. If you don’t like Green Day maybe you should just leave or find a higher purpose since you know so much. Your band probably rocks the hardest. Start a band or nurture new talent maybe. Tell them how to be great.

Disclaimer: I do complain about Green Day but I also respect and worship them and love how they try new things even they try end up being fails. I love them for it. They are not boring and they work extremely hard. But yes I definitely think some songs are weak etc but holy hell there’s 775578 this year alone. Look at the bigger beautiful picture. This band is not resting on their past or churning out “new” versions of old songs. They try new things and it’s exciting.

That being said: classic Green Day on the Oakland Coffee House is cool but I’d love some newer stuff. Even the stuff that didn’t make the Trilogy (haha “new”) but I know there’s a lot of unreleased Green Day from that era that is probably really great.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

Green Day are amazing and complainer fans that only seem to complain are spoiled and not very supportive. I think Green Day is amazing. And I’d like to see any other band release 3 or 4 albums a year plus side projects plus singles plus whatever else and a cover band or two and club shows and stadium shows and a heck of a lot more. And they’re far from boring or churning out the same stuff all the time. They evolve they know their roots they are a total perfect band and I love them. We are so lucky. People who don’t get that probably don’t know how hard it is to do all that and how epically great Green Day is as a band and as artists. I’m guessing the complainers don’t have much else going on in their lives. If you don’t like Green Day maybe you should just leave or find a higher purpose since you know so much. Your band probably rocks the hardest. Start a band or nurture new talent maybe. Tell them how to be great.

Disclaimer: I do complain about Green Day but I also respect and worship them and love how they try new things even they try end up being fails. I love them for it. They are not boring and they work extremely hard. But yes I definitely think some songs are weak etc but holy hell there’s 775578 this year alone. Look at the bigger beautiful picture. This band is not resting on their past or churning out “new” versions of old songs. They try new things and it’s exciting.

That being said: classic Green Day on the Oakland Coffee House is cool but I’d love some newer stuff. Even the stuff that didn’t make the Trilogy (haha “new”) but I know there’s a lot of unreleased Green Day from that era that is probably really great.

All of this 150%.

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bigut6g1qxr9i4gzanuj

8 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

Seemed like people were disappointed because they wanted new material.

Well @Virginia Lot Lizard made that exact same complaint after complaining about other fans’ complaints so I don’t see the problem with admitting it would be nice to have something new.  Because I actually like new stuff. I’m not one of those fans that says Green Day sucks now and only their old stuff is any good. I love all of it, but aside from covers and side projects we’ve had a total of thirty minutes of new Green Day since 2016.  That’s almost five years.

1 minute ago, BillieMyLove said:

Seemed like people were disappointed because they wanted new material.

Didn't we learn from HCTS? :lol:

I'm neutral about this. Archive videos are pretty cool, but not enough to get me to sign up for this and I hope that anything I might want to see is going to get pirated and posted elsewhere anyway. I could say something sarcastic about Idiot Club being replaced with a coffee loyalty program, but I guess, it's not a bad deal for people who already wanted coffee and hopefully the rest of us are smart enough to make good choices with our purchases. :P

Plus I wonder if this is another perk the musical division of Oakland Coffee, formerly known as Green Day, got from their new deal with Warner - notice that this is Green Day content/merch/presale getting released through their coffee business, seemingly unaffiliated with the label, so I guess maybe now they're making more money for themselves/using their brand more freely... so good for them, I guess?

5 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Didn't we learn from HCTS? :lol:

I'm neutral about this. Archive videos are pretty cool, but not enough to get me to sign up for this and I hope that anything I might want to see is going to get pirated and posted elsewhere anyway. I could say something sarcastic about Idiot Club being replaced with a coffee loyalty program, but I guess, it's not a bad deal for people who already wanted coffee and hopefully the rest of us are smart enough to make good choices with our purchases. :P

Plus I wonder if this is another perk the musical division of Oakland Coffee, formerly known as Green Day, got from their new deal with Warner - notice that this is Green Day content/merch/presale getting released through their coffee business, seemingly unaffiliated with the label, so I guess maybe now they're making more money for themselves/using their brand more freely... so good for them, I guess?

Oh, I didn’t even think of that, that this might be some of what they took back from Warner. I didn’t notice any presale teases, and I thought merch referred to Oakland Coffee merch, not Green Day merch like what they sell on their store website still through Warner.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Oh, I didn’t even think of that, that this might be some of what they took back from Warner. I didn’t notice any presale teases, and I thought merch referred to Oakland Coffee merch, not Green Day merch like what they sell on their store website still through Warner.

I don't know, I'm no expert and I think they still could do this together with Warner as some kind of a partnership deal with a brand, but I do wonder if they get to do this thanks to gaining more freedom from Warner business-wise.

They promise special access to concert tickets:

e5ea91eca3b038b27611459e3d9a58c038871048

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I don't know, I'm no expert and I think they still could do this together with Warner as some kind of a partnership deal with a brand, but I do wonder if they get to do this thanks to gaining more freedom from Warner business-wise.

They promise special access to concert tickets:

e5ea91eca3b038b27611459e3d9a58c038871048

Wow sucks for us non coffee drinkers. Wish they sold tea 🫖 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Lindsey_gd89 said:

I wish they sold tea too! Here I thought I was the only green day fan who doesn't drink coffee, lol 

They had a booth at the 40th Street block party a couple years ago giving away free samples and merch.  I asked them about selling tea, the woman there said they get asked that a lot and they’re considering it. Guess it hasn’t happened yet. I did get a free box of their medium roast pods though and it actually is really good coffee.  I maybe had one cup once a month for a change of pace from tea it lasted me a long time.   But if I did drink it regularly I would definitely buy theirs.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

They had a booth at the 40th Street block party a couple years ago giving away free samples and merch.  I asked them about selling tea, the woman there said they get asked that a lot and they’re considering it. Guess it hasn’t happened yet. I did get a free box of their medium roast pods though and it actually is really good coffee.  I maybe had one cup once a month for a change of pace from tea it lasted me a long time.   But if I did drink it regularly I would definitely buy theirs.

Oh yeah I remember seeing their booth at that block party. Good to know tea is a possibility in the future. Thanks for the info! 

GREEN DAY FANS.....

YOU BETTER REPENT AND DRINK COFFEE

BECAUSE THE COFEE AND REPENT CONCEPT ALBUM would be an amazing surprise release.        

Even if it were Panicland or Viva Death or Network or whatever.  

11 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Well @Virginia Lot Lizard made that exact same complaint after complaining about other fans’ complaints so I don’t see the problem with admitting it would be nice to have something new.  Because I actually like new stuff. I’m not one of those fans that says Green Day sucks now and only their old stuff is any good. I love all of it, but aside from covers and side projects we’ve had a total of thirty minutes of new Green Day since 2016.  That’s almost five years.

I mean, we would all love to see new material, myself included, but I think your statement is a little misleading. If you look at their history, especially from Warning forward, they usually go four/five years between albums (Trilogy notwithstanding LOL). They take the time to do it right. It was a little disappointing how short FOAM was, especially when MM2020 proved they had other material that could have gone on there and likely would have been better, but I still see nothing unusual about the timeline. We are actually lucky we got all this additional stuff since because if not for the pandemic they would not have been able to do that because they would be too busy touring. No one can say that have not been extremely productive. 

12 hours ago, BillieMyLove said:

I mean, I know that whatever Green Day does seems to be met with disappointment around here, but we have actually gotten a lot out of them in the past year. We had an album (even if it wasn't people's fave), then we had the NFM covers, then we had a Network album, then we got a new song (again, even if it wasn't people's fave), etc. Add to that a number of performances (late night shows, covid benefits, etc.). It's actually amazing how productive they have been, arguably a lot more than most of us in this pandemic LOL. Really the only thing that was disrupted was the tour (which I am still confident is coming at some point). 

So many people were moaning about them not doing enough a few months ago, whilst the quality has been very hit and miss you can't deny Billie Joe has kept busy for the last year.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Joe. said:

So many people were moaning about them not doing enough a few months ago, whilst the quality has been very hit and miss you can't deny Billie Joe has kept busy for the last year.

Totally agreed. I think they have done way more than expected. I agree on quality and that is all the more reason not to rush things: let them take the time to do it right instead of cranking out stuff just because the fans want something new.

20 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Wow sucks for us non coffee drinkers. Wish they sold tea 🫖 

Hi fellow non-coffee drinker!

(I did make myself a cold brew drink this am, but that's rare). GIVE ME ALL THE TEA! :D

• Love 1

So I am trying to decide if I should sign up for the Free Stuff Rewards. Has anyone done it? What are your thoughts so far? I am not big on coffee either (or tea, or hot beverages in general) and usually don't sign up for things like this in general, but I am kinda intrigued by this. 

4 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

So I am trying to decide if I should sign up for the Free Stuff Rewards. Has anyone done it? What are your thoughts so far? I am not big on coffee either (or tea, or hot beverages in general) and usually don't sign up for things like this in general, but I am kinda intrigued by this. 

I did just to watch the videos. No harm if it’s free, unless you’re reluctant to sign up to get more emails in your box.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I did just to watch the videos. No harm if it’s free, unless you’re reluctant to sign up to get more emails in your box.

Thanks! I probably will do this whenever I actually get free time to watch this stuff (swamped with work right now).

The first Sorta Live episode is up. If you have a free account it’s $1.99 to watch. It was really good. I like that they also had interview bits to get to know the artists a little. Jason White, Brontez Purnell and Whateverglades. All very good. Looking forward to more of these. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...