Instagram Fanpages are being taken down

Alf

14 minutes ago, foxborohottub said:

We need a complete list of pages that were removed so we can try and get Instagram to restore the accounts. Can you please post any removed accounts so we can include them in our request? 

thx

Bill

I cannot access my fan page since this morning like others. It's @greendayjournal 

6 minutes ago, Flashback said:

Maybe they are still with Warner but it‘s the same situation like Taylor Swift and GD now own their master rights. Her new albums also show „(c) Taylor Swift“.

That’s interesting. Might want to post that in the other thread that was started for this topic we can discuss there 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxborohottub said:

Hey all, just an fyi. The band and management are just as confused and surprised by this. It certainly is not coming from the band or anyone attached to the band! We are scrambling to figure it out as well!

Bill Schneider

Thank you, Bill! This is very reassuring. I was not thinking the band themselves had any say in it, that would be totally unlike them, as they have always strived to have a connection with fans and even interacted with those pages.

I hope management is able to figure out what's going on and help with this. Those are very special communities and whoever is behind this is destroying a very beautiful thing. No moral conscience.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

GDA photos are down because we got a letter from a law firm representing a photographer who took some photos of the band demanding payment for us posting the photo they took. I took it down while we talked to them, but it hasn't gone well. So I'm in the process of trying to get them to accept less than what they were demanding ($1800 for a single photo is what they want). This law firm is from California and there are tons of articles on the web about them going after sites, threating law suits unless you settle, and in a lot of cases actually suing people for thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars. Obviously they're asking for more money than GDA even makes from all advertising in a year, so I can't just give them the money. So for now I just removed all photos. It's really shitty.  

That sucks. Of all the photos that were archived, what percentage belonged to this one photographer? It couldn’t have been the majority so just removing his photos is the only possible action. No way should you allow them to bleed you financially when Green Day photos abound all over the internet. It’s not worth it. 

• Like 3

That sucks! What an awful thing to do! I wish you all the best of luck working through this and I hope GDA is able to come out of it okay. I just don't get why people are so horrible just because they can be.

• Like 2

It could really be something to do with copyright infringement. That's most likely. Maybe the photographers themselves have come forward to complain. 

Just now, pacejunkie punk said:

It almost sounds like a phishing scam like the accounts were all hacked for your driver’s licenses and personal information. I hope it’s even legit, they’re harvesting a lot of personal info. 

Well that part I'm sure was legit. It wasn't part of the email we got or anything else. I just went directly to Facebook support and opened a request that way for our Instagram account.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

GDA photos are down because we got a letter from a law firm representing a photographer who took some photos of the band demanding payment for us posting the photo they took. I took it down while we talked to them, but it hasn't gone well. So I'm in the process of trying to get them to accept less than what they were demanding ($1800 for a single photo is what they want). This law firm is from California and there are tons of articles on the web about them going after sites, threating law suits unless you settle, and in a lot of cases actually suing people for thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars. Obviously they're asking for more money than GDA even makes from all advertising in a year, so I can't just give them the money. So for now I just removed all photos and waiting for a response from them. It's really shitty.  

Thanks for looking into this. When GDA's account was taken down I reached out to Facebook support to try and explain that we were a fansite, not trying to impersonate anyone,  and all i got was a canned response about needing to send in a copy of my drivers license and something else to prove who i was, but the case was just closed automatically saying the information i provided wasn't sufficient. I assume it was related to the same legal threat we got above but had no information. So it's interesting to see the same thing happening to other fan accounts.

That’s crazy. Are they asking for money for you keep it on the site, or demanding you pay because it’s already been on there? What photo was it? 

1 minute ago, jumpsalty said:

That’s crazy. Are they asking for money for you keep it on the site, or demanding you pay because it’s already been on there? What photo was it? 

Well obviously I can't post the photo now. But it was for a photoshoot from 2009. Yeah they demanded we remove it, which I did the day I got the email, but they want payment because it was on the site at all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

That is so shitty. This person must have nothing better to do than go through websites like this and threaten them to pay up for be sued.

• Like 1

Well, for l the photo thing is also exaggerate, because we are always being tagged in ph’s pics of Green Day and they are always happy if we repost. That one was surely an ****** if I can say it, even because you guys just give popularity to other artist so... just a “give credits please” or “please delete” was ok 

• Like 1

I am not on Instagram so I was not aware of this issue. I follow GDA on Facebook and that page is still up. I also looked for the Green Day Italy and Green Day Brazil pages and those are up. As I was reading through this thread I was getting the vibe that this was an Instagram issue and not a Green Day or Warner issue, and I am glad to see that this has been confirmed. If I had to guess I would think the platform is doing some housecleaning and trying to get rid of trolls and fake accounts. There are lots of people out there pretending to be people they aren't, and maybe Instagram thought these pages were pretending to be officially connected to the band (even though they clearly state that they are fan accounts). Anyway, this seems like a really silly thing to go after given all the awful stuff out there they could be targeting. I really hope this gets fixed.

BTW, I always thought it was an urban legend that people connected to the band hung out this site. I guess they really do. So hi Bill. :) 

8 minutes ago, GreenDayItaly said:

Thank you so much Bill! Our page @greendayitalianrageandlove  (http://instagram.com/greendayitalianrageandlove) got removed yesterday night without any reason. We opened it in 2012 and we were followed by Billie Joe and Warner Music Italy. We lost years of photos and videos, we are really sad right now. Thank you so much for your help and please keep us updated.

I hope your posts can be restored and that they weren’t permanently deleted. Hearing about all these accounts affected I wonder if it wasn’t an algorithm that cast a wide net for any account with “Green Day” in the title. Talk about overreach.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Alf said:

Bill, the ones I've been in touch are:

@greendaybrasiloficial @gda @gdmiarg @greenday_ita @greendaylatam @greendayinc @greenday_esp @greendaymx

and us too: @greendayitalianrageandlove 🙏 

• Like 1

Surely the owners of the fan-pages must have been given some reason as to why they have been taken down ?

Is Instagram the only platform affected ? 

Also very good of @foxborohottub to jump in here and reassure fans.

He didnt have to do that but thank you all the same. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Well obviously I can't post the photo now. But it was for a photoshoot from 2009. Yeah they demanded we remove it, which I did the day I got the email, but they want payment because it was on the site at all.

Oh yeah I know haha just curious now. Wow that’s harsh and surely can be protested I hope. It’s unrealistic in this day and age

1 minute ago, cav9mm said:

Surely the owners of the fan-pages must have been given some reason as to why they have been taken down ?

It's just Instagram.

One of the accounts said the reason was "impersonation."

Bill/Green Day are aware of it and are trying to figure it out.

Just now, cav9mm said:

that's the thing, we were just taken down, no reason has been given