What do you expect for the next Green Day album?

legendary

40 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It may be a bit if a retcon, but I think that’s why Billie prefers to think of Stop Drop and Roll! as the real follow up album to American Idiot and in retrospect he wishes that album was released under Green Day. You can hear him talk about that here:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3rRd81HelfAb9LxZt0Wfrg?si=tQLOki0sRYG39Uv87u8yNg

Its kind of one of those weird things, where I think fans of the band always felt like it was kind of the follow up album and 21cb was more of a new era for them, but of course things are seen differently by the general public because I doubt they were also searching the internet daily for any mention of anything new from the band like I was back then. While they might have been a bit disappointed if SD&R was actually released under the GD name, I think the wait would have payed off massively once 21cb came out, just as it did for me as a fan.

I'll always remember that one time I heard Mother Mary on the radio and when asked by someone I knew what it was I just kept it simple and told them it was a new Green Day album, so there's that I guess 😂

It was an interesting interview but I am a bit sad that Billie didn't go  more into detail and explain why SD&R should have been a Green Day album, as well as even a mention of 21cb and how that could have changed the situation for the better, or something.. I don't know but thanks for sharing that!

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Red said:

I'll always remember that one time I heard Mother Mary on the radio and when asked by someone I knew what it was I just kept it simple and told them it was a new Green Day album, so there's that I guess 😂

That’s it - whenever I’m given an opportunity to explain to someone outside the fandom that GD in fact has a quite diverse discography, I keep it simple and just say that some of their albums came out under an alias or just not mention that they’re side projects at all. Usually people are pleasantly surprised :lol:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Tre's Busted Drumkit said:

The Trilogy was a flop for the band in every way. Aside from occasionally showing up in BJA's solo shows, I would be surprised if songs from it ever turned up again.

Although I admit, I'd crap myself with glee if, at a future Green Day show, I heard Stay the Night.

I think it might have been much more popular if the iHeartRadio incident never happened and Billie didn’t enter rehab. Once he entered rehab, all promotion stopped!!! Oh Love was getting a lot of radio play that summer!!! And then this performance of Let Yourself Go at the 2012 MTV VMA’s!!! Look how the fans stormed the stage!!!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, GDFan2019 said:

And then this performance of Let Yourself Go at the 2012 MTV VMA’s!!! Look how the fans stormed the stage!!!

I think it speaks to how great a performer Billie is that we know what he was dealing with and going though at the time and he still put on a killer performance like this! I also happen to know for a fact that there were some GDC members I’m attendance there (not me!). 

10 hours ago, Tre's Busted Drumkit said:

and while those of us who were at the 21CB shows, especially the stadium tour, would probably tell you that they were some of the most wonderful, amazing, over the top displays of music ever seen, the album wasn't as well received. The songs on 21CB translated to the live setting much better than they did to an album. Awesome as Fuck really shows that well.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I think the 21CB tour was probably the peak (so far?) of Green Day as a touring band. Deep setlists, incredible hours long performances night in and night out, stage presentation was A+, it had an extra leg for godsakes. So glad we got AAF to commemorate.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It may be a bit if a retcon, but I think that’s why Billie prefers to think of Stop Drop and Roll! as the real follow up album to American Idiot and in retrospect he wishes that album was released under Green Day. You can hear him talk about that here:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3rRd81HelfAb9LxZt0Wfrg?si=tQLOki0sRYG39Uv87u8yNg

I hadn't watched that interview before but that's interesting. I like 21CB as a follow up to AI, I think the band spent much more time making that album than Stop Drop & Roll but SD&R is also a really good album and I would really like if more people heard it. Like, the amount of plays it has on spotify is very low & considering what has come out since (trilogy, FOAM), it really just sounds like a Green Day album. At the time, it was a very different sound for them but now it just sounds like Green Day

I wonder what the reaction would've been if they released it as a Green Day album and how it would compare to the reaction to 21CB

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Gwen Stacy said:

I think it speaks to how great a performer Billie is that we know what he was dealing with and going though at the time and he still put on a killer performance like this! I also happen to know for a fact that there were some GDC members I’m attendance there (not me!). 

Were any of them in that crowd on the stage?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gwen Stacy said:

Couldn't have put it better myself. I think the 21CB tour was probably the peak (so far?) of Green Day as a touring band. Deep setlists, incredible hours long performances night in and night out, stage presentation was A+, it had an extra leg for godsakes. So glad we got AAF to commemorate.

I was inspired by this whole conversation (which no longer has anything to do with the next album, sorry guys) to pull out my own recording from the Chula Vista amphitheater show and am listening to it now. It's cringey hearing me from ten years ago lose my shit, but damned if Billie Joe isn't a master of the crowd. And musically, they were 100% on point. I've been lucky enough to see some amazing shows from some amazing artists, and even if I can't say with 100% certainty that this was the best, it was definitely right up there.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/7/2021 at 6:09 PM, That Dude said:

I expect to hear the word "razor blades" at least twice.  

"hearts" at least 6 times. 

Probably some cigarettes.   

Wait, how did we all forget about "piss"?! We obviously need more songs with piss in them. Did anyone ever figure out how many songs mention piss?

29 minutes ago, Lady Mix-A-Lot said:

Wait, how did we all forget about "piss"?! We obviously need more songs with piss in them. Did anyone ever figure out how many songs mention piss?

I never thought about that before but wow there are a lot of songs with the word piss in it. Wtf?! So weird! I can’t believe I never thought about that before. He is so good at adding “piss” to lyrics so eloquently. 

Fell for You is an amazing song and has all the feels meanwhile the man managed to say “pissed the bed” in it. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

I never thought about that before but wow there are a lot of songs with the word piss in it. Wtf?! So weird! I can’t believe I never thought about that before. He is so good at adding “piss” to lyrics so eloquently. 

Fell for You is an amazing song and has all the feels meanwhile the man managed to say “pissed the bed” in it. 

I mean, we are not allowed to speculate on Billie's private life here so I don't want this to turn into a big discussion and I do not wish to embarrass him, but I think he did admit to having a bedwetting issue into young adulthood at least.

50 minutes ago, Lady Mix-A-Lot said:

I mean, we are not allowed to speculate on Billie's private life here so I don't want this to turn into a big discussion and I do not wish to embarrass him, but I think he did admit to having a bedwetting issue into young adulthood at least.

I’ll be sure to ask him next time I run into him

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

Well, I don't know how to explain it properly, but pissing the bed is a thing that use to happen when boys become men, in a biological sense. Is one of those creppy lines, like Drama Queen has. I understand what he was trying to convey but I cannot stop to feel some rejection. Not because I dislike piss or sexual connotations, but a poor choice of words, haha.

If we consider that BJ is always trying to bring back his younger self on most of his songs right now, probably that song is the result of one of those trips. Not to mention that UNO is a "back to the roots" record, mostly. Btw, "back to the roots" must be understood as pre-dookie days, and it becomes clear, at least to me, what they were trying to do with the Trilogy in regards of the sound. Kerplunk has that kind of "clean" tone as well, or at least not that crunchy compared with later records.

And what to expect to the new album, besides that they do what they want to do is: PLAY THE GODDAMN THING LIVE :lol:

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 1:55 AM, Gwen Stacy said:

I wish some day we can have Awesome as Fxxk II with songs played on that tour that are not in the album

17 minutes ago, Gonzalo17 said:

I wish some day we can have Awesome as Fxxk II with songs played on that tour that are not in the album

That would be awesome!!!

• Like 1

Green Day songs with "piss" in them that I can think of (listed in order of release)
- Armatage Shanks "I'm getting pissed, I'm a worthless pessimist"
- No Pride "No culture's worth a stream of piss or a bullet in my face"
- Sick of Me "Like a dog that just pissed on your barbecue"
- Nice Guys Finish Last "Do you feel washed up, like piss going down the drain"
- Platypus "Under my shoes or the piss on the ground" and "I'll stand above you just to piss on your grave"
- Deadbeat Holiday "Last chance to piss it all away"
- Nuclear Family " Drinking Angel's piss, gonna crash and burn"
- Fell for You "I woke up in a pool of sweat, at first I thought that I pissed the bed"
- Lady Cobra "Drinking piss for cheap guitars"
- Chasing A Ghost "Piss stains and cigarettes" (Technically not Green Day but still Billie wrote it)
- I Was A Teenage Teenager "I was a teenage teenager full of piss and vinegar"

It only really got weird when he started talking about drinking piss & pissing the bed in the trilogy

1 hour ago, greendepent said:

Well, I don't know how to explain it properly, but pissing the bed is a thing that use to happen when boys become men, in a biological sense. Is one of those creppy lines, like Drama Queen has. I understand what he was trying to convey but I cannot stop to feel some rejection. Not because I dislike piss or sexual connotations, but a poor choice of words, haha.

If we consider that BJ is always trying to bring back his younger self on most of his songs right now, probably that song is the result of one of those trips. Not to mention that UNO is a "back to the roots" record, mostly. Btw, "back to the roots" must be understood as pre-dookie days, and it becomes clear, at least to me, what they were trying to do with the Trilogy in regards of the sound. Kerplunk has that kind of "clean" tone as well, or at least not that crunchy compared with later records.

And what to expect to the new album, besides that they do what they want to do is: PLAY THE GODDAMN THING LIVE :lol:

If you are saying that accidentally and involuntarily urinating in one's sleep is the same as having a "wet dream" i.e. having an orgasm in one's sleep, I can assure you that these are two very different things from a biological standpoint. #science

Anyway, yes, I agree that Billie often does try to write from a younger standpoint, and this will likely continue to be a theme in his music going forward. I do also hope and expect that their next material will be played live given that live performances are a thing again. And perhaps piss is just a really good metaphor for lots of situations and thus will continue to be a stylistic element. 🤣

6 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Green Day songs with "piss" in them that I can think of (listed in order of release)
- Armatage Shanks "I'm getting pissed, I'm a worthless pessimist"
- No Pride "No culture's worth a stream of piss or a bullet in my face"
- Sick of Me "Like a dog that just pissed on your barbecue"
- Nice Guys Finish Last "Do you feel washed up, like piss going down the drain"
- Platypus "Under my shoes or the piss on the ground" and "I'll stand above you just to piss on your grave"
- Deadbeat Holiday "Last chance to piss it all away"
- Nuclear Family " Drinking Angel's piss, gonna crash and burn"
- Fell for You "I woke up in a pool of sweat, at first I thought that I pissed the bed"
- Lady Cobra "Drinking piss for cheap guitars"
- I Was A Teenage Teenager "I was a teenage teenager full of piss and vinegar"

It only really got weird when he started talking about drinking piss & pissing the bed in the trilogy

Good lord what have I started. 🤣 I can't think of any others off the top of my head either but I feel like there are more and will keep thinking about this LOL.

3 hours ago, Lady Mix-A-Lot said:

I think it was Anna, Billie's sister, that said that?