The Beatles and Green Day

pacejunkie punk

19 minutes ago, Gwen Stacy said:

I disagree. 71, 73, and 74 had some of the strongest material of the group’s collective career. Had it been packaged correctly I think at least one of those years’ album could’ve been the best Beatles album ever.

72 was a rough year but theoretically the material would’ve there to make a decent album at least.

I’d argue Paul especially didn’t start losing his touch until 83/84

Maybe I should clarify then I did not mean to imply that FOAM was not a good album or that five years later the Beatles would have produced crap.  I really meant that Green Day have reached a stage in their evolution where they are reaching back into early influences and vintage styles and experimenting anew.  There isn't a parallel of that for The Beatles because they broke up so early. Five years more and maybe we would have seen that.  In fact, we kind of did.  I would argue five years later John released his Rock and Roll album which was exactly that, but I didn't want to stretch the comparison I was making by reaching into solo years.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

I don’t really know anything about downloading stuff but if I can even find the DVD I'll look into it and let you know. There are some other 21CB interviews and stuff on it too. Could take me a while to find as most of my GD stuff is still in boxes from when we moved 10 years ago :lol:

That would be awesome, we can wait!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Maybe I should clarify then I did not mean to imply that FOAM was not a good album

Oh, well I did. lol

5 hours ago, Joe. said:

As in? 

As in how are they the punk's answer to Beatles? Yeah they're probably the pop-punk Beatles but they're hardly up against much competition. Theres some cool coincidences at the start of the thread, but lets not get too excited by putting the two bands in the same sentence :)

5 minutes ago, Joe. said:

As in how are they the punk's answer to Beatles? Yeah they're probably the pop-punk Beatles but they're hardly up against much competition. Theres some cool coincidences at the start of the thread, but lets not get too excited by putting the two bands in the same sentence :)

I’m not gonna get dragged into the “Green Day aren’t punk” debate. It was Larry Livermore who first made that comparison so take it up with him. I’ve already stated my case

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I’m not gonna get dragged into the “Green Day aren’t punk” debate. It was Larry Livermore who first made that comparison so take it up with him. I’ve already stated my case

I didn’t say that? Just would say The Clash, for example, are a better comparison, as they were more trendsetters like The Beatles rather than promoting a niche genre.

10 hours ago, Gwen Stacy said:

You know what’s very beatlesesque? Not being bound by limitation of genre and drawing in a wide variety of influences to create music that doesn’t fit neatly into boxes.

I agree. I wouldn’t particularly put that tag on Green Day, I would put that on The Clash. That’s not a knock on Green Day, but they’ve stayed in their genre. They’ve completely transformed it and gave it a kick up the arse, but an album like Sandinista or Combat Rock shows how bands can escape genre limitations. Both albums leap from punk, to disco, to reggae, to new wave as each track changes. 

I’m posting on a Green Day forum, I'm not trying to chat shit about them, just entering the conversation. I think whilst there’s some cool coincidences and parallels that doesn’t mean Green Day “are The Beatles of punk”. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Joe. said:

I’m posting on a Green Day forum, I'm not trying to chat shit about them, just entering the conversation. I think whilst there’s some cool coincidences and parallels that doesn’t mean Green Day “are The Beatles of punk”. 

I feel like I’m getting forced to defend this claim of Green Day are the punk Beatles based on where the discussion went but it was not actually my original post or claim. The thread topic was simply “The Beatles and Green Day” and a list of the “cool coincidences and parallels” as you say. Sure, you can compare The Beatles to The Who, The Clash or any other band for any number of other reasons, but that wasn’t the point of my thread or what I set out to do. 

Thread topic aside, I do believe GD has both redefined their genre and transcended it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Joe. said:

I agree. I wouldn’t particularly put that tag on Green Day, I would put that on The Clash. That’s not a knock on Green Day, but they’ve stayed in their genre. They’ve completely transformed it and gave it a kick up the arse, but an album like Sandinista or Combat Rock shows how bands can escape genre limitations. Both albums leap from punk, to disco, to reggae, to new wave as each track changes. 

Have you listened to Nimrod - 21st Century Breakdown? Acoustic singer/songwriter, ska (which partially owes a debt to the Clash), surf rock, country, hardcore punk, waltz, mariachi, electronic new wave, world music, 70’s arena rock, and a spy instrumental all are genres covered in those albums. And if they stayed in their genre so much, why are they constantly being labeled sell-outs and “not really punk”?

I’d argue both the Clash and Green Day are beatlesesque to some extent. It’s not like that’s not an exclusive trait though, the story of the four is so powerful that it created an archetype that people are still living out to this day. Although I will note that only GD has performed live with the surviving Beatles 😛

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gwen Stacy said:

Have you listened to Nimrod - 21st Century Breakdown? Acoustic singer/songwriter, ska (which partially owes a debt to the Clash), surf rock, country, hardcore punk, waltz, mariachi, electronic new wave, world music, 70’s arena rock, and a spy instrumental all are genres covered in those albums. And if they stayed in their genre so much, why are they constantly being labeled sell-outs and “not really punk”?

I’d argue both the Clash and Green Day are beatlesesque to some extent. It’s not like that’s not an exclusive trait though, the story of the four is so powerful that it created an archetype that people are still living out to this day. Although I will note that only GD has performed live with the surviving Beatles 😛

I would note Joe Strummer is dead so would struggle to play with Paul or Ringo, and never really discussed The Beatles other than his love of John.

12 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I feel like I’m getting forced to defend this claim of Green Day are the punk Beatles based on where the discussion went but it was not actually my original post or claim. The thread topic was simply “The Beatles and Green Day” and a list of the “cool coincidences and parallels” as you say. Sure, you can compare The Beatles to The Who, The Clash or any other band for any number of other reasons, but that wasn’t the point of my thread or what I set out to do. 

Thread topic aside, I do believe GD has both redefined their genre and transcended it.

So I can’t discuss the claim you made because you don’t actually back it? It’s a huge thing to say, I disagree with it massively.

I respect your opinion and I don’t deny GD have done a lot for pop-punk, my point is that there’s so many punk bands that have done more for the genre of punk to get the tag of “punk’s Beatles”

23 minutes ago, petros said:

Imagine putting the trilogy next to the masterpiece that the white album is... 

Yeah, how could you compare the genius of Nightlife to that of Wild Honey Pie? 😂

• Haha 1