The Beatles and Green Day

pacejunkie punk

Wow this is great, I never would've connected the dots myself but there is a lot of similarity. Never realised Beatles broke up so young too. Also Green Day played some 21st CB songs at abbey road at the time so that's perfect. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Welshy said:

Also Green Day played some 21st CB songs at abbey road at the time so that's perfect. 

No way that’s so cool!  I know I’m gonna think of even more I wrote this so fast so if I do or anyone else does just add them to the thread. Here’s another thought:

Lapse in management: both bands had a brief period where they attempted to be their own managers with disastrous results (post-Brian’s death/post-Dookie)

Wow I didn't knew a lot of thing!
At least you don't have a 17th parallel point about a member who has been assassinated.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 3

While I do agree with most of what you said (been a long time fan of both bands) I think GD's career can be better compare to the who's. Also for me the trilogy is their most beatle moment in the sense of sound and lyrical composition

When I say Green Day is the last band that was the heir to what The Beatles achieved, people think I’m crazy but I really do believe it to be true. American Idiot was the last time a rock album reached into the cultural zeitgeist and had a rock/pop crossover appeal that was very beatleseque. And even though there have been great rock albums since, but partly due to technological and social changes, they aren’t as pervasive anymore. That’s why I hold them to such a high standard.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

18 minutes ago, Gwen Stacy said:

When I say Green Day is the last band that was the heir to what The Beatles achieved, people think I’m crazy but I really do believe it to be true. American Idiot was the last time a rock album reached into the cultural zeitgeist and had a rock/pop crossover appeal that was very beatleseque. And even though there have been great rock albums since, but partly due to technological and social changes, they aren’t as pervasive anymore. That’s why I hold them to such a high standard.

Not crazy at all. They are the punk Beatles

• Like 4

Added this interesting note that occurred to me:

(With)Meet the Beatles/Dookie:  The albums that broke each band and sold millions, starting a cultural phenomenon. (British pop/Pop punk). (Edit: Interesting too that neither albums were their band’s firsts, but were in fact their second albums with their second drummers.)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Welshy said:

Also Green Day played some 21st CB songs at abbey road at the time so that's perfect. 

If I remember correctly those performances at Abbey Road were aired on Ch4 TV here in the UK at the time. I have an Italian bootleg dvd of the show (although no idea where that is now!) 

• Like 1

My two favorite bands! Totally agree. Many of the Beatles’s songs are such a cosmic force to me, sometimes I get the same feeling when I pay attention to some of Green Day’s melodies get amazed by the inspiration that must’ve been involved in it. I could say that about any successful band in history, but these two kind of stand out for their catchiness and depth.

Reminds me of when Arica Pelino said something about there being a Paul McCartney vibe to Billie in the way that he came up with melodies so easily.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

If I remember correctly those performances at Abbey Road were aired on Ch4 TV here in the UK at the time. I have an Italian bootleg dvd of the show (although no idea where that is now!) 

I remember it being aired, couldn’t believe it, it was so good, and a large part of it was on YouTube for a short while, then just bits, would love to see that again!

• Like 1

These are really interesting parallels LOL, but I guess this kinda begs the question of what comes next. If we keep the parallel going, then the next thing for Green Day would be to break up LOL, and I don't really see that happening, especially not at their ages and at this stage of their careers.

2 minutes ago, BillieMyLove said:

These are really interesting parallels LOL, but I guess this kinda begs the question of what comes next. If we keep the parallel going, then the next thing for Green Day would be to break up LOL, and I don't really see that happening, especially not at their ages and at this stage of their careers.

It’s not meant to be a predictor of future events. That said, all bands do end one way or another eventually, but I’m looking at parallels in their careers not at their ends.

16 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It’s not meant to be a predictor of future events. That said, all bands do end one way or another eventually, but I’m looking at parallels in their careers not at their ends.

That makes sense! I do love both bands and can definitely see the parallels that have contributed to the greatness of both. 

Yes, everything does end, because people eventually die LOL. This reminds me of what Billie said: "No one leaves this band unless it is in a coffin" (which on one level is really sweet and on another sounds like some kind of veiled threat LOL).

On 1/20/2021 at 7:38 AM, legendary said:

Where's FOAM of The Beatles?

The White Album.  

I guess we need to match each Green Day album to a Beatles album.   Let's do it!

7 minutes ago, That Dude said:

The White Album.  

I guess we need to match each Green Day album to a Beatles album.   Let's do it!

I thought we already paired the White Album with the Trilogy. 🤣

1 hour ago, That Dude said:

The White Album.  

White Album :  Trilogy

See #14 in the OP

On 1/20/2021 at 7:38 AM, legendary said:

Where's FOAM of The Beatles?

If the Beatles had stayed together five more years you would have seen it

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, jengd said:

I remember it being aired, couldn’t believe it, it was so good, and a large part of it was on YouTube for a short while, then just bits, would love to see that again!

I don’t really know anything about downloading stuff but if I can even find the DVD I'll look into it and let you know. There are some other 21CB interviews and stuff on it too. Could take me a while to find as most of my GD stuff is still in boxes from when we moved 10 years ago :lol:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

If the Beatles had stayed together five more years you would have seen it

I disagree. 71, 73, and 74 had some of the strongest material of the group’s collective career. Had it been packaged correctly I think at least one of those years’ album could’ve been the best Beatles album ever.

72 was a rough year but theoretically the material would’ve there to make a decent album at least.

I’d argue Paul especially didn’t start losing his touch until 83/84