Dunlop Unveils the Dookie Drive

desertrose

I have a V1, and plan on getting V2 and V3. V3 is a bit... meh but itll be cool for the collection nonetheless 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Josh100_3 said:

Can’t wait to play my favourite riffs from ‘Oh Yeah’ on this!

...wait a minute.

Spoiler

source.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I got my V2 pedal yesterday and it sounds great, but I have a question. The light on it should light up, yes? Mine does not light up when I turn it on 😕 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Are there any major technical differences (and more importantly, differences in sound) between v1, v2 and v3?

I also think the v2 and v3 designs suck, but I don't really care as long they sound the same. What I do NOT want is for them to sound any different. I've seen several videos on the v1 now and it really does sound kinda sweet, but I'm still not ready to pay that much for it. So I'm still waiting...

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 9:06 PM, Todd said:

I got my V2 pedal yesterday and it sounds great, but I have a question. The light on it should light up, yes? Mine does not light up when I turn it on 😕 

Yep should do, might just be that the LED is trash, my TS9's light is pretty much invisible

2 hours ago, MillenniumFan said:

Are there any major technical differences (and more importantly, differences in sound) between v1, v2 and v3?

I also think the v2 and v3 designs suck, but I don't really care as long they sound the same. What I do NOT want is for them to sound any different. I've seen several videos on the v1 now and it really does sound kinda sweet, but I'm still not ready to pay that much for it. So I'm still waiting...

Appears the differences are just cosmetic

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can Billie share the pedals he used when he was poor and couldn't afford ones like this?  Those are the pedals I can afford....I mean, the pedals I want.  Because I'm punk rock or something.  

• 10 months later...

So after the huge success of the three limited edition versions of this pedal, MXR have quietly released another one. There's no Dookie branding but the actual pedal is exactly the same, and the only reference to Green Day is that it's called the FOD. Pretty cool that it's been so popular based on his great it sounds and not just the Green Day link. 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

So after the huge success of the three limited edition versions of this pedal, MXR have quietly released another one. There's no Dookie branding but the actual pedal is exactly the same, and the only reference to Green Day is that it's called the FOD. Pretty cool that it's been so popular based on his great it sounds and not just the Green Day link. 

woah cool!! gonna look this up.

Has anybody tried using this pedal with a bass rather than guitar? Does it suck all the low end out like a lot of distortions do? I'm primarily a bass player, but I use a lot of guitar pedals in my rig (namely a RAT that I love for bass distortion). Very curious how it sounds on a bass.

43 minutes ago, Herroon said:

woah cool!! gonna look this up.

Has anybody tried using this pedal with a bass rather than guitar? Does it suck all the low end out like a lot of distortions do? I'm primarily a bass player, but I use a lot of guitar pedals in my rig (namely a RAT that I love for bass distortion). Very curious how it sounds on a bass.

Yeah, it does sound pretty thin but at the same time it's VERY gritty because it's such a high gain pedal. It could definitely have its uses, and putting an EQ pedal with a bass boost after it could make it super usable. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2021 at 12:27 AM, Spike said:

I'm very tempted to buy the FOD pedal myself, but I havn't found a source that confirms that it's indeed the same effect with different branding (I probably wasn't searching well). I wish someone made a comparison, but that would be pointless if they're indeed the same pedal...

17 hours ago, Shtrudel said:

I'm very tempted to buy the FOD pedal myself, but I havn't found a source that confirms that it's indeed the same effect with different branding (I probably wasn't searching well). I wish someone made a comparison, but that would be pointless if they're indeed the same pedal...

Yeah, there's nothing official that states it because they're actively avoiding it being related to Green Day, presumably to open up the target market. So there's no proof of it being the same thing, technically. All I can offer is being a huge Green Day fan, owning the Dookie Drive, and working in the biggest guitar shop in the UK. It'd be cool to hear them side by side for sure. 

The FOD is the same circuit. I dont own the FOD but I have used both side by side. The only real difference is that the FOD has a switch for a Mid Scoop, Flat or Mid Boost. The DD only had Mid scoop and flat options via a button rather than the switch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never owned the dookie drive but I got the FOD a few days ago and used it at band practice yesterday. My amp has been in the repair shop so I've been using my friend's tone block amp, and the FOD sounded pretty good with that, but I'm really excited to try it with my blackstar tube amp next weekend

The Dookie branded pedals have retained value pretty well, the first run are going for stupid money, so makes sense for MXR to get the circuit out there in a non Green Day package. Really need to try one of these properly, liked the sound of the first run when I tried it but couldn't (and still can't) warrant a place on my pedalboard for one.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 8/30/2019 at 9:55 PM, foxborohottub said:

and an amp we call the Idiot which is also similar but different than an Se Lead (Meat) it has slightly less gain and less bottom end and is generally a “tighter” sounding amp

Hi Bill, do you know what model Marshall the Idiot head is? I'm guessing a 1959, JTM45 or some kind of JMP?

• 10 months later...
On 8/30/2019 at 9:55 PM, foxborohottub said:

Cavallo, had versions of both heads already for the Dookie recordings. They were done  by Bob Bradshaw at CAE originally then the later ones were modded by Martin Goulb at CAE.  Both were used on Dookie. Although the SE is featured much more on Insomniac and that is where the classic live sound Billie still uses today started. Billie ordered a set of clones from Bradshaw while they were recording and they were the amps he used on the Dookie tour and the Woodstock performance. These are the two heads that were spray painted Meat and Pete and later painted pink and silver by the Network. These two heads were used on Insomniac and Nimrod along with an Orange OR100 a Bassman and a Jcm 800. Since the Nimrod recording these amps have only been used live. There are different amps used in the studio since. Warning is primarily a Black faced Bassman and a hiwatt. AI and 21CBD are primarily a Park70 that is modded with a Dookie style mod and an amp we call the Idiot which is also similar but different than an Se Lead (Meat) it has slightly less gain and less bottom end and is generally a “tighter” sounding amp. AI also features a lot of tweed Victoria amps primarily a 2x10 and a Twin. The Bassman and the HiWatt are also extensively used.  Foxboro Hottubs is a Divided by 13 FTR 37 Billie, and a Low power tweed Twin Jason. Trilogy was a mix of all the  cleaner amps and a JTM 45. No master volume amps were used. Rev Rad was back to the park 70 and the Divided by 13 primarily. 

Overall thoughts for trying to get Billies tone with the pedal or any amp is to use WAY less gain than you think. Play a guitar with a hot pickup and dig in!

This is so helpful THANK YOU SO MUCH. Means a lot to us, your comment here is like a holy grail for me. What speakers does Billie generally use in his cabs? I know he's used V30s live (has it always been V30s live?), but does he have any speaker/mic preferences for recording? Always thought I heard greenbacks and T75s in some of the songs. When he used other non-Marshall amps like a bassman or hiwatt, was it run through a marshall cab or something else? 

Thank you for being so friendly and engaging with us fans, it's greatly appreciated and I appreciate what you do with the band 😀

• 2 months later...