'The Longshot' - Debut self-titled EP

Second favourite son

20 minutes ago, Kyle Serlington said:

I think it's funny that a lot of people don't seem to like Taxi Driver, it might be my favorite one. It's really close with that and Chasing the Ghost. Love is for Losers is my least fav, but it's growing on me

I agree, though in style I feel like Taxi Driver sounds like a really good Green Day B-side and Chasing a Ghost sounds like it could have been on RevRad.

• Like 1

These secret shows are something I'm never going to be a part of, not unless I move to another part of the country. :( South Carolina gets very few concerts, and the ones we do get......eh.  

But seriously, look at any bands concert dates.  It's like they purposely skip us.  They'll hit North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, Virginia, and then go play in Antarctica or something.  But no South Carolina.  :( 

On topic though.   Uuuuuum.  I got nothing.  I'm going to see what other songs have leaked since I was last online.  ;)

I think Chasing a Ghost and Love is for Losers are equally good, and Taxi Driver as well. They are all equally good! I think Chasing a Ghost is the best I think, because it sounds lIKE FUCKING TOM PETTYYYYYYYYY! Rip

And yes I get this has already been mentioned 

• Like 1

Finally available in the UK! :dance:

What’s with all the hate for Taxi Driver? I really like it.

• Like 1

I was wanting to play Chasing a Ghost, Taxi Driver and any other song on guitar this morning but couldn't find any chords for them.  So I played Love is for Losers and went and started learning Goodbye to Romance.  

I haven't actually heard it except for a couple times, so I'm listening and relistening to it.  I like the original but I know I'll like The Longshot version better.  Whereas most covers don't usually live up to the original, I believe that this mysterious lead singer of The Longshot will be like Billie Joe in that he has a way of outdoing the original work.   

Some of my favorite songs of all time are Green Day doing covers:   The Saints are Coming, Working Class Hero, A Quick One, The Kids are Alright, We are the Champions. 

and we haven't gotten a cover song on a Green Day ALBUM in......well, we only got one and it was from Kerplunk 26 years ago!  I fell in love with some many musicians and it all started with Green Day covering a certain tune (or two), it's amazing!   The American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown eras had the band doing amazing studio covers and gosh darn it, what a time it was!  I have never been as excited about music as I was right before the release of those two  epics, man!  

With Ozzy and Sabbath, I've heard most of their work and I don't think I'll get hooked like I did with The Who, The Ramones, The Clash, etc.    But I am looking forward to hearing a Longshot-style version. 

Listening to the words of the song, it could have been written by Green Day or the Longshot.     

At this point my greatest curiosity is who is in the band. In Billie’s latest “artwork” of the 4 of them, I’m sure that’s Jeff on the left. I think it’s a good chance it’s Joey on the far right because it looks like he drew something resembling curls. But I’m definitely not positive on that one. Looks a little tall. How tall is Joey? The fourth one I have no idea.

4 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

At this point my greatest curiosity is who is in the band. In Billie’s latest “artwork” of the 4 of them, I’m sure that’s Jeff on the left. I think it’s a good chance it’s Joey on the far right because it looks like he drew something resembling curls. But I’m definitely not positive on that one. Looks a little tall. How tall is Joey? The fourth one I have no idea.

I don't think Joey is much taller than Billie. If Billie is 5'7", I'd say Joey (from pictures of them next to each other) is probably 5'8" to 5'9".

2 minutes ago, squashie09 said:

I don't think Joey is much taller than Billie. If Billie is 5'7", I'd say Joey (from pictures of them next to each other) is probably 5'8" to 5'9".

Well in that pic the person on the right’s height stands out. Who has been mentioned as a possibility and is also tall?

I’m listening to LIFL and damn if that doesn’t sound like an Exploding Hearts song (listen to Modern Kicks for example). Billie’s great at copying different styles. 

51 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

Well in that pic the person on the right’s height stands out. Who has been mentioned as a possibility and is also tall?

I have no idea who it could be. I've heard so many possibles that I'm just as clueless as everyone else. My only thought is that Matika is involved because he was before the account went private and commented on a photo "F my life" (the one of a dude in a van squished in with drums). Chris Dugan maybe? How tall is Dugan in relation to Billie?

I can't get over the fact that there's at least 6 songs that Billie wrote where he mentions "piss" in them. What is it with this obsession :ga: lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Shahd said:

I can't get over the fact that there's at least 6 songs that Billie wrote where he mentions "piss" in them. What is it with this obsession :ga: lol

I could be wrong but I can only think of one song from before the trilogy where he mentions piss, and that's Sick Of Me "Like a dog that just pissed on your barbecue"

8 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I could be wrong but I can only think of one song from before the trilogy where he mentions piss, and that's Sick Of Me "Like a dog that just pissed on your barbecue"

There's also Platypus (I'll stand above you just to piss on your grave) and Deadbeat Holiday (Last chance to piss it all away) and No Pride (No culture's worth a stream of piss) :ga: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ¡Jenn! said:

There's also Platypus (I'll stand above you just to piss on your grave) and Deadbeat Holiday (Last chance to piss it all away) and No Pride (No culture's worth a stream of piss) :ga: 

Just now, Shahd said:

Nuclear Family, "drinking angel's piss, gonna crash and burn"

No Pride, "no culture's worth a stream of piss or a bullet in my face"

Nice Guys Finish Last, "you feel washed up like piss going down the drain"

Platypus (I Hate You) "'cause you ain't worth the shit under my shoes or the piss on the ground"

Deadbeat Holiday, "last chance to piss it all away"

And now the new song.

Anyways there's no point of this I'm just being insane haha

Oh wow I didn't actually realize there was that many before the trilogy. I always just assumed the trilogy was the beginning of the "Piss Era" :lol:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, neverdone2000 said:

Jason White or Jeff 

6 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Oh wow I didn't actually realize there was that many before the trilogy. I always just assumed the trilogy was the beginning of the "Piss Era" :lol:

This is without even getting into the numerous piss related stories from every GD era :lol:. Have to say I did laugh when I heard that opening line.

57 minutes ago, Shahd said:

Something he and Trump have in common.

• Haha 1

I'm pleasantly surprised by this EP. Based on the previews I thought the vocal filters would be a problem, but they aren't. I rank Chasing A Ghost as the best one because of the lyrics, Taxi Driver is a very close second and last LIFL. I absolutely love the sound of all this, really gives off a 'summer vibe' and as other have already mentioned I immediately dreamed of listening to it while driving. As for the rest of the album I long for The Last Time and Happiness, the previews of those are amazing. I hope we get a vinyl release and that the album cover is in 'longshot artwork style'. 

All in all this is a great release of music and I'm just so happy and thankful to be a fan of Green Day. We really are blessed with all of these exciting side projects! 

Finally listened to the EP. Not bad, but so far it doesn't leave a huge impression on me. I do like the raw quality of it and the vintage garage rock feel, but none of the songs stick out in particular to me. Maybe after a few listens I'll change my mind.

Yeah I've listened to the songs a good few times now... I think it's a light 8/10. Chasing a Ghost is the best of the 3 songs, and I'd probably give that a strong 8 to a light 9 out of 10, the others maybe a 7 or 8. From what I've heard of the other tracks, Happiness and whatever that other one is called (:lol:), I think they'll hopefully be better.

I really want to find out who the rest of the band is soon. We probably have some clues somewhere in all those Longshot posts but I'm too lazy to go through them all :lol:

• Like 1