Billie Joe anti-Trump comment on Instagram

pouty bitch

1 minute ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

Yeah, but a bummer he doesn’t interact nearly as much with people who emit positive energy in the comments. It’s almost like he’s rewarding the idiots. I wouldn’t be too surprised if some fans were crazy enough to purposefully say extreme pro-Trump stuff just to get a reply. 

True 

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think those instagram people were worth getting angry about, but I understand his frustration. He has tried to speak to them sensibly and with respect for a long time. 

I agree it's not the best thing he could do from the marketing point of view, and I don't think it's the best way to get a point across. but I admire him for having the guts to go ahead and say what he wanted to say withought caring about his public image or possible negative media covfefe 

@AlissaGoesRAWR yes, he seems to fall for baits very easily 

I don’t think it’ll make any negative impact at all. “Billie joe Armstrong tells fan to fuck off?! ... oh, wait, fair enough ...” I think more people agree with the statement than care about bringing down Billie joe lol 

I really don't think anyone outside of the Green Day fandom would care about this - like I said he's perfectly entitled to say what he likes and the bands not in the mainstream media's sights anymore for this to cause an issue.

7 hours ago, Billie Joe Armstrong said:

I don't think those instagram people were worth getting angry about, but I understand his frustration. He has tried to speak to them sensibly and with respect for a long time. 

I agree it's not the best thing he could do from the marketing point of view, and I don't think it's the best way to get a point accross. but I admire him for having the guts to go ahead and say what he wanted to say withought caring about his public image, possible negative media covfefe 

@AlissaGoesRAWR yes, he seems to fall for baits very easily 

I think at some point, he just gets so fucking pissed that no one tries to take that fuckwad down. Literally, Twitter should've banned that asshole so long ago! BJ does respond a lot to negative input, but I think it makes him feel like he's at least doing something, ya know?

And @JoeFrusciante, I have to agree that no one, let alone Trump is really going to notice/care outside of the fandom. And he needs to say whatever he needs to say, too.

His responses to many of the comments was extremely uncalled for. Some people he was telling to fuck off were not being disrespectful in any way. In the 15 or so years that I have been a fan this is the first thing he has done that has really rubbed me the wrong way. He went way off the deep end here.

1 minute ago, Q-Man said:

His responses to many of the comments was extremely uncalled for. Some people he was telling to fuck off were not being disrespectful in any way. In the 15 or so years that I have been a fan this is the first thing he has done that has really rubbed me the wrong way. He went way off the deep end here.

But you could argue that Trump has too and he’s trying to get people to wake the fuck up to what’s happening.

My concern is it may feel like an IG rant is accomplishing something but it isn’t and it only shifts the spotlight on the wrong thing (“Billie tells a fan to fuck off!”) More organization on the impeachment front might.  This world has me seriously worried.

7 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

But you could argue that Trump has too and he’s trying to get people to wake the fuck up to what’s happening.

My concern is it may feel like an IG rant is accomplishing something but it isn’t and it only shifts the spotlight on the wrong thing (“Billie tells a fan to fuck off!”) More organization on the impeachment front might.  This world has me seriously worried.

Like Trump or not he has done nothing that he can be impeached for. They tried it before Christmas and on both sides it was a resounding no. And I wouldn't argue that Trump has, Un threatened us saying he had a nuclear button and Trump responded. That is what you do when threatened. Twitter isn't the correct medium to do so but either way Billie is way in the wrong telling people that weren't being disrespectful to fuck off.

2 minutes ago, Q-Man said:

Like Trump or not he has done nothing that he can be impeached for. They tried it before Christmas and on both sides it was a resounding no. And I wouldn't argue that Trump has, Un threatened us saying he had a nuclear button and Trump responded. That is what you do when threatened. Twitter isn't the correct medium to do so but either way Billie is way in the wrong telling people that weren't being disrespectful to fuck off.

Responding with your own nuclear threat on fucking twitter isn't what you do by any means. It shows how inept Trump is. 

1 minute ago, Billie Joe Armstrong said:

Responding with your own nuclear threat on fucking twitter isn't what you do by any means. It shows how inept Trump is. 

It shows how far down the hole we’ve sunk that this passes for leadership. 😕

6 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It shows how far down the hole we’ve sunk that this passes for leadership. 😕

He's a reality TV star and he acts like one. :lol: It's Sad! but I have faith that he doesn't end up making any unrepairable damage and hopefully doesn't get re-elected. 

26 minutes ago, Billie Joe Armstrong said:

He's a reality TV star and he acts like one. :lol: It's Sad! but I have faith that he doesn't end up making any unrepairable damage and hopefully doesn't get re-elected. 

That’s a strong faith you got there. I was hoping he wasn’t going to get elected in the first place and we saw how well that worked out.

39 minutes ago, Q-Man said:

I agree that Trump has not done anything to be impeached for, unfortunately. I also agree that Billie was wrong. He acted no differently than the people he is arguing about. The one guy said that he won't change the minds of Trump supporters. He may, if he acted properly. The dialogue was started and it could have been productive. The way he behaved won't change any Trump supporters minds.

I am chalking it up to in his anger he posted before he thought about it.   

The thing is its not Billie's responsibility to change minds, or act properly. He's been through the patient phase, now he's just done. He was angry, and wasn't having any kind of defense against Trump, no matter how well meaning. I dunno what else you'd expect to be honest when you go onto Billie Joe Armstrong's instagram and tell him "people have the right to support Trump". That wasn't his fucking point.

His original post was fine. It's exactly what I'd expect from him when Trump does something like that.

I'm sorta divided on his responses. I get that he's angry. I get that he's probably sick of people commenting stupid shit on his posts. I get that he has every right to tell them to fuck off, but I really don't think he went about it the right way. I disagree that the people that commented weren't disrespectful - I think they were, even the one that said he/she was a fan, so his comments can be justified. However, although I am glad that he's standing up to the people that comment shit on his posts, I really think he could've handled it better. Unfortunately, I feel that Billie's comments have taken the attention off Trump, which was the whole point of his post in the first place. Billie is not the problem, Trump is the problem.

So yeah, I'm putting his responses down to anger and maybe not thinking before he posts stuff. Although his comments are totally understandable.

22 minutes ago, ¡Jenn! said:

The thing is its not Billie's responsibility to change minds, or act properly. He's been through the patient phase, now he's just done. He was angry, and wasn't having any kind of defense against Trump, no matter how well meaning. I dunno what else you'd expect to be honest when you go onto Billie Joe Armstrong's instagram and tell him "people have the right to support Trump". That wasn't his fucking point.

YOu are correct, it is not his responsibility to change peoples minds. However, he made the post, that automatically opens the subject up for discussion. The same would be if I made a post like that, it opens it up for anyone to comment as they please. The way he responded shut down the conversation. He clearly wants something to change, so do I, so do most Americans. However, if we continue to shut down discussions by telling people to fuck off when we disagree, nothing is ever going to change. 

6 minutes ago, Grubby Poop said:

YOu are correct, it is not his responsibility to change peoples minds. However, he made the post, that automatically opens the subject up for discussion. The same would be if I made a post like that, it opens it up for anyone to comment as they please. The way he responded shut down the conversation. He clearly wants something to change, so do I, so do most Americans. However, if we continue to shut down discussions by telling people to fuck off when we disagree, nothing is ever going to change. 

I suppose in his opinion if you can't see Trump tweeting to brag about the size of his nuclear power as dangerous and fucking idiotic, then there's no hope for you; there are lots of people out there who take the time to try and change minds. But that doesn't mean Billie has to be one of them. Maybe he's just tired of having to explain. I totally empathize with that.

2 minutes ago, ¡Jenn! said:

I suppose in his opinion if you can't see Trump tweeting to brag about the size of his nuclear power as dangerous and fucking idiotic, then there's no hope for you; there are lots of people out there who take the time to try and change minds. But that doesn't mean Billie has to be one of them. Maybe he's just tired of having to explain. I totally empathize with that.

If we have the opinion that someone can't change then there really is no hope. 

I think the problem was singling out certain people and just telling them to fuck off... He could've just made another post saying that he doesn't care what people are saying and doesn't care if they stop being a fan because of his opinion. I definitely agree with his original post but he went too far with the replies. Some of the comments he replied to weren't that bad and were fairly reasonable.

I think he was just angry and he might end up regretting replying to these comments and taking the bait.

18 minutes ago, Grubby Poop said:

If we have the opinion that someone can't change then there really is no hope. 

I didn't say I had that opinion. I'm saying Billie is probably thinking "if you can't see how psychotic this tweet is then I'm not going to take the time to explain it to you."

4 minutes ago, ¡Jenn! said:

I didn't say I had that opinion. I'm saying Billie is probably thinking "if you can't see how psychotic this tweet is then I'm not going to take the time to explain it to you."

You're right, but then who else than these people needs an explanation? 

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

That’s a strong faith you got there. I was hoping he wasn’t going to get elected in the first place and we saw how well that worked out.

True. And same - I couldn't believe he would get elected, it looked like too much of a joke. But he's not 100% out of control either. It's like a who would win meme. More than 200 years of democracy or one idiot in position of power? It's optimistic, but I don't think the idiot will win. He's not a dictator and I doubt he can become one. So he will be out eventually. Sooner or later the US will have a sensible president again. 

Honestly, I believe this rule on principle: You're entitled to your own opinion, just make sure you can back it up and that it makes sense, and isn't based on fear/hatred. Of course, think whatever you want, but don't go out and say hateful things. His original IG post fit this. And while I understand why he commented what he did, it was wrong. He was angry and defying all logic to get his point out there.

• Hermione locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived