Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

Random question : When Green Day play songs live like She and Longview are the crowd shouting hey hey hey or tre tre tre ?

Random question : When Green Day play songs live like She and Longview are the crowd shouting hey hey hey or tre tre tre ?

Typically "hey." Although we did all start chanting "Tre" at some point during the House of Blues show... I can't remember what he was playing though. :P

• Like 1

Yeah you might hear "Tre, Tre, Tre" during the intro of Shout to encourage him to do his "I want you to know...." bit (possibly then followed by "Mike, Mike, Mike", and "Jason, Jason, Jason"), or if he was going to sing one of his songs. Otherwise it's "hey" but I kind of wish it was always "Tre" now :lol:

• Like 1

Does anyone know why Insomniac and Warning isn't on Spotify? It isn't in the UK anyway...

I just came here to ask the same thing, haha. :lol: I really wanted listen to Warning in my car, haven't heard it in full for ages. 

Edited by insomniax

Does anyone know something more about this?  Why does Billie hate this guy and at which awards ceremony was it?

From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wattie_Buchan

Feud With Green Day

As a person who hates Green Day, Wattie Buchan was at a music awards ceremony for a music magazine and was invited to present an award. Green Day won an award and Wattie Buchan had to give them an award. During the afterparty, Green Day member Billie Joe Armstrong went up to Wattie Buchan and said “When you die, I’m going to be standing over your grave, laughing at ya.” Wattie then confronted Armstrong back and then other people pulled Armstrong away from Wattie.

Does anyone know something more about this?  Why does Billie hate this guy and at which awards ceremony was it?

From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wattie_Buchan

Feud With Green Day

As a person who hates Green Day, Wattie Buchan was at a music awards ceremony for a music magazine and was invited to present an award. Green Day won an award and Wattie Buchan had to give them an award. During the afterparty, Green Day member Billie Joe Armstrong went up to Wattie Buchan and said “When you die, I’m going to be standing over your grave, laughing at ya.” Wattie then confronted Armstrong back and then other people pulled Armstrong away from Wattie.

Never heard of him but clicking the source links on Wikipedia led me to two interviews with him where he talked about it, the first from this year and the second from 2007, all he says is it was "years ago":

NB: Is that why you are unable to see a lot the bands playing at Rockfest this year as genuine punk rock?

WB: Yeah, well I don’t like how a lot of them are playing just for the money. When I see a band, I can tell by their faces if they’re lovin’ it or fakin’ it. I love to see musicians enjoy playing. They may be a tiny little band but to me, that’s better than being a fucking sellout. I’ll tell you a story. Years ago, I had to go to some music awards ceremony for a music magazine. We were invited to present an award. So one of the bands to get an award was Green Day. And I fucking hate Green Day. I really fucking hate them. So I had to give them the fucking award. Later that night, I was sittin’ at the afterparty, surrounded by a lot of those “big” bands. And then the Green Day lead singer comes over – Billie Joe, isn’t it? He’s like this fucking big (Wattie mimics a really short height). And Billie goes to me: “See, when you die, I’m going to be standing over your grave, laughing at ya.” I looked at him and stand up (Wattie stands up to his full height to demonstrate how much taller he is than Billie Joe). I go “What did you say?” and I went: “I tell you what; you may have a big record company and lots of money, but I’ve got something you’ll never have, and that’s respect from the punks.” And then his buddies grab him and pull him away. The point of that is that I’ve done things with my music that have meant something for other people’s lives, and that’s respect. You can’t buy that. And to me, that’s better than money. When people who’ve been following the Exploited for years tell me what an impact our music has had on their lives, to me, that’s something priceless. That means I’ve done something worthwhile in my life. People make being a musician worthwhile, and to me, that’s the big thing.

The bands that created the “punk movement” like The Exploited, The Sex Pistols, New York Dolls are often compared to early 90’s Green Day… 

Wattie: Green Day are shit! Green Day are fuckin’ shit. I met them once at some awards, and I saw this guy, was Billy Joe his name, with maybe 10 guys around him, so he was like “When you die, I’m gonna be standing on your grave laughing at you.” And was like, I couldn’t even look him in the eyes, he was so short, so I was like “What did you say, you fucking midget fuck?” (hahaha) Green Day are shit man!

He sounds like a dickhead tbh :lol:

• Like 4

Never heard of him but clicking the source links on Wikipedia led me to two interviews with him where he talked about it, the first from this year and the second from 2007, all he says is it was "years ago":

He sounds like a dickhead tbh :lol:

No he sounds justified in his hatred of Green Day in this case and in his harsh choice of words towards Billie after Billie was a total dickhead to his face. Billie sounds like a fucking prick. No way around it. Jesus.

• Like 1

No he sounds justified in his hatred of Green Day in this case and in his harsh choice of words towards Billie after Billie was a total dickhead to his face. Billie sounds like a fucking prick. No way around it. Jesus.

He sounds like a dickhead from the whole interview with or without that part. The story is very vague with no background explaining why Billie had a problem with him though, without hearing the rest of the story I can't judge it based only on the rantings of an extremely bitter sounding individual.

This Wattie Buchan guy seems to have feuds with alot of people.  He seems to think any band that is more successful than him is shite.   t It just seems like his way of getting publicity for himself.  

He sounds like a dickhead from the whole interview with or without that part. The story is very vague with no background explaining why Billie had a problem with him though, without hearing the rest of the story I can't judge it based only on the rantings of an extremely bitter sounding individual.

Who cares why Billie had a problem with him. Look back at old Green Day interviews Billie has had a "problem" with a million musicians ranging from Sum41 to John Lydon but to say what he said to Wattie is just not ok. He may hate the guy but even if you hate someone do you walk up to them and say THAT?! He also looks like a prick because he did it with ten people (a group anyway even if the number isn't exact) around him. For his part Wattie only said he hates the band (that's his personal choice), that Billie was very short (actual fact) and that they may have money but he has respect (there was a lot of swearing and anger) which is significantly different than what Billie said about graves, death and laughing. Billie just looks really bad and I don't see how Wattie is the bad guy here.

Who cares why Billie had a problem with him. Look back at old Green Day interviews Billie has had a "problem" with a million musicians ranging from Sum41 to John Lydon but to say what he said to Wattie is just not ok. He may hate the guy but even if you hate someone do you walk up to them and say THAT?! He also looks like a prick because he did it with ten people (a group anyway even if the number isn't exact) around him. For his part Wattie only said he hates the band (that's his personal choice), that Billie was very short (actual fact) and that they may have money but he has respect (there was a lot of swearing and anger) which is significantly different than what Billie said about graves, death and laughing. Billie just looks really bad and I don't see how Wattie is the bad guy here.

Like I said without knowing what Wattie said previously to inspire Billie to say that to him (and he must've said something) I can't judge.

Like I said without knowing what Wattie said previously to inspire Billie to say that to him (and he must've said something) I can't judge.

Just throwing this out there but what did Steve Jobs say previously to inspire Billie to say something to him?

Just throwing this out there but what did Steve Jobs say previously to inspire Billie to say something to him?

I don't see how the two situations are comparable but just to answer anyway, obviously he didn't say anything but Billie (very rudely and insensitively yes) used his name to symbolize technology in general rather than meaning it as a genuine personal attack. He was inspired by dislike of certain aspects of technology.

How unpleasant Billie might have been to people at other times isn't the point though. The point is you can't judge who was more in the wrong in an argument when you've only heard one person's version of what happened and they didn't even tell the full story. Billie obviously didn't just go up to him and say that at random, without hearing what was said before we don't know who said the worse things, who started it or who was more in the wrong.

• Like 2

You are assuming Wattie Buchan's story is true. 

• Like 2

I don't see how the two situations are comparable but just to answer anyway, obviously he didn't say anything but Billie (very rudely and insensitively yes) used his name to symbolize technology in general rather than meaning it as a genuine personal attack. He was inspired by dislike of certain aspects of technology.

How unpleasant Billie might have been to people at other times isn't the point though. The point is you can't judge who was more in the wrong in an argument when you've only heard one person's version of what happened and they didn't even tell the full story. Billie obviously didn't just go up to him and say that at random, without hearing what was said before we don't know who said the worse things, who started it or who was more in the wrong.

"Used his name to symbolise technology"? Interesting way to describe wishing someone fucking dies from cancer. And actually yes it is relevant to mention Billie's previous history which happens to involve an unprovoked personal attack on someone for no reason whatsoever since this could just as easily have been a repeat. People were quick to point out Wattie's history of feuds with bands. Billie has proven very publicly he is capable of being a total dickhead so why disbelieve this story?

"Used his name to symbolise technology"? Interesting way to describe wishing someone fucking dies from cancer. And actually yes it is relevant to mention Billie's previous history which happens to involve an unprovoked personal attack on someone for no reason whatsoever since this could just as easily have been a repeat. People were quick to point out Wattie's history of feuds with bands. Billie has proven very publicly he is capable of being a total dickhead so why disbelieve this story?

So you don't think he was referring to technology in general? I don't see the need to pretend he meant it personally when he clearly didn't, it doesn't mean it was justified or not still a horrible thing to say.

And are you saying you think Billie might have walked up to him and said that for no reason? Obviously something was said previously to cause Billie to dislike him. I don't disbelieve the story, I just haven't heard all of it. Generally when there's an argument the one telling the story paints themselves as in the right and the other person as in the wrong, having only heard one incomplete side of the story it isn't possible to make much of a judgement about it.

Well, that guy states he already had a profound dislike for Green Day when he went to that award show. Given that, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me to assume that he said something derogatory about them or let his dislike show beforehand. It may even have been what he said when presenting the award, considering how much he said he hated that.

At least, if the story is true, Billie Joe expressed his anger with him to his face instead of taking it to some interview years later. 

It's common knowledge that Billie Joe is a dickhead. Yer man sounds like a right prick too. Neither of them come out of that smelling of roses, there's no need to pick sides.

Well yes, it's not nice to go tell someone that when he dies you're going to laugh over his grave :ermm:Any context that's in you can't justify him. At the same time people get angry and say things, who knows how the guy acted with him before and what the whole situation was.

Just to start, in those interviews the way the guys says that he's enjoying his music and his music means something and fans are grateful to him...... as if that wasn't happening to a big band just for the fact of being a big band. It's so closed minded that I can't even proccess it in my mind. I never liked his band, now I have another reason not to give it another listen (someone recently told me I had to). Now, If someone told me that Green Day are fucking shit, they're there just for the money, they're faking it, they don't enjoy playing, they're fucking sellouts and that's the worst thing you can be on earth, makes fun of Billie's height, says he doesn't have any respect from his scene, plus the previous ..... what I would do mysfelf would be getting angry inside for a moment, taking a deep breath, and thinking he doesn't have a clue so why bother saying anything. That's what I did while reading those interviews. Responding with what Billie responded is not the right thing to do and it's very offensive, but probably he wasn't saying it for no reason as the guy make it look. Sometimes people seem to believe that the most horrible words you say, the more harm you do to someone. It feels different for every person, maybe with his looks and his acting (just assuming this happened, maybe it didn't) plus everything he said in those interviews, Billie would have felt very offended, even if he didn't say "Billie Joe is a fucking whatever I hope whatever". 

• Hermione changed the title to Green Day Q&A Thread
  • lizziebix pinned this topic