Green Day Q&A Thread

Liam

3 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Oh you mean there are four different ones? I didn’t realize there were more

I think the one released in 2007 also reviews the other 4 albums besides Dookie but they are not just that in depth but I find this American Idiot one on yt

If you wondering the one I talk about, it’s here

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Flashback said:

Is there a thread with Green Day multitracks? I thought I saw it one day but I can‘t find it anymore :( 

Most of the links are down, but this is where they belong. I will have to reupload them soon 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Todd said:

Most of the links are down, but this is where they belong. I will have to reupload them soon 

Great, thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Tomcat20 said:

What happened to the Jingletown studio?

It was sold a few years back

Why were there no comments on this until me?   I guess they just now allowed them, so I got the first one!    I'm cool now!  

Anyway, this is for anyone that needs to hear this right now.   Enjoy.   - Chris, the lonely commenter.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jengd said:

Is anyone able to maybe screenshot this for us outwith US, I know it’s not knew but pretty sure I’ve not seen it, what was he angry about?

https://green-day.tumblr.com/post/176108049184/but-armstrong-is-like-a-frisky-puppy-immediately

It’s a review of a show from the RevRad tour.  It’s referring to his usual political anti-hate rant during Letterbomb. Just part of the show. 

• Thanks 1

So Mike's bass jam that he's been playing pre-Knowledge for many many years... I'm finally trying to learn it but the clearest recording I can find is actually just by some guy covering it on YouTube. Apparently it's actually a cover of Billie's Bounce by Charlie Parker? But there's also apparently a version by a band called The Rocket Summer kicking around that no one seems to know the title of. Does anyone have any little known info on this particular bop? 

• Surprised 1

5 hours ago, Spike said:

So Mike's bass jam that he's been playing pre-Knowledge for many many years... I'm finally trying to learn it but the clearest recording I can find is actually just by some guy covering it on YouTube. Apparently it's actually a cover of Billie's Bounce by Charlie Parker? But there's also apparently a version by a band called The Rocket Summer kicking around that no one seems to know the title of. Does anyone have any little known info on this particular bop? 

Inb4 someone adds 500+ instances of “Billie’s Bounce” to setlist.fm :lol: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Todd said:

Inb4 someone adds 500+ instances of “Billie’s Bounce” to setlist.fm :lol: 

It really does sound very similar, as far as I can tell from a 76 year old recording! 

Billie is obviously the primary songwriter for GD, but does he compose the drum and bass parts too or do Mike and Tré write those? Or is it just like, Billie writes the lyrics, comes up with the melody, guitar, and drum parts then brings them to a session and they go from there? He must have an idea of the rhythm, tempo, sound, etc in his head when he's writing songs, right? The boys don't really talk a lot about the technical process when they're making music and it would be interesting to know more. They tend to talk more about the creative process than who's writing which instrument parts and whatnot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Slave To The Network said:

Billie is obviously the primary songwriter for GD, but does he compose the drum and bass parts too or do Mike and Tré write those? Or is it just like, Billie writes the lyrics, comes up with the melody, guitar, and drum parts then brings them to a session and they go from there? He must have an idea of the rhythm, tempo, sound, etc in his head when he's writing songs, right? The boys don't really talk a lot about the technical process when they're making music and it would be interesting to know more. They tend to talk more about the creative process than who's writing which instrument parts and whatnot.

hard to answer specifically without getting into the weeds. overall answer is yes they generally all write their parts though i think on the trilogy billie did a lot of writing/demoing full tracks at home.

• Thanks 1

I think , just going from what they’d said in interviews etc, that it varies.  I know Tre has said that sometimes Billie comes in with the song almost fully formed and his work is largely done for him due to Billie being such a good drummer himself but we also know they have brought things, e.g, famously Longview bass line and Billie has gone from there.  I can hardly believe there could be a hard and fast rule, more like a general trend.

• Like 3

I’m not sure where exactly to post this and don’t know if it was shared on any of the topics before because it was orignally posted in 18th April this year but, I have just come across it through Instagram tonight. So, I still wanted to share it, if someone would want to check out:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10216604349135364&id=1658629774

• Love 2

On 5/28/2021 at 7:41 AM, jengd said:

I think , just going from what they’d said in interviews etc, that it varies.  I know Tre has said that sometimes Billie comes in with the song almost fully formed and his work is largely done for him due to Billie being such a good drummer himself but we also know they have brought things, e.g, famously Longview bass line and Billie has gone from there.  I can hardly believe there could be a hard and fast rule, more like a general trend.

I think this is why they keep it fairly vague in the credits as well, "Lyrics - BJA, Music - Green Day".

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I think this is why they keep it fairly vague in the credits as well, "Lyrics - BJA, Music - Green Day".

Pretty sure there was a time when Mike said something along the lines of it being pretty good of Billie Joe to always credit all three with writing the music when there were different levels of contributions.   Of course, Billie has said a few times that Mike and Tre don’t get enough credit for their parts.

• Like 2

Why is Billie playing Ping Pong on their greatest hits album cover?   

Or 

Who was Billie spanking on said cover?  

5 hours ago, jengd said:

Pretty sure there was a time when Mike said something along the lines of it being pretty good of Billie Joe to always credit all three with writing the music when there were different levels of contributions.   Of course, Billie has said a few times that Mike and Tre don’t get enough credit for their parts.

I recall Mike saying about that "Billie can play everything himself, but we (him and Tre) have stuff that he doesn't"

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

MYYLewh.png 

(I just googled it and according to that it's 'say whatever' but he's so fucking unclear and mumbling that I'm not convinced) 

I don't understand like 3/4 of what he sings ever, especially the earlier stuff. 😅

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slave To The Network said:

I don't understand like 3/4 of what he sings ever, especially the earlier stuff. 😅

Same!

And does he say “my cousin died, I got no pride” at the end of no pride?? 😂