Random Green Day News

Hermione

On 3/8/2023 at 1:09 AM, jengd said:

This has popped up everywhere this morning.  

Wow that's pretty random and cool. Tal is one of the best bass players out there, especially in jazz fusion. A true ''real'' musician if you will. I wonder how those two got together

• Like 3

Yusuf/Cat Stevens on his new album, dreams of a Green Day collab, and the Glasto legend’s slot

Green Day part-

How much do you keep up with modern music?

“Not very much. I came from one of pop’s pinnacle eras, when there’d be a new milestone every week, so I tend to listen to that period most. But I love Green Day because of their message. ‘Know Your Enemy’ is an incredible song with a message about the Iraq war that was right on time.”

Would you be interested in working with Green Day?

“Yeah! Wow, that’s a good idea. I think they listened to my song ‘Bitterblue’ before making ‘Know Your Enemy’, as I can hear little titbits of it in the chords and some of the words. I reckon we could definitely get it on.”

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sanity Loan said:

"...‘Know Your Enemy’ is an incredible song with a message about the Iraq war that was right on time."

🤔

I don't get it. The meaning on greenday.fm maybe seems to be more relevant to do think?

The start of the song is mostly a show of Christian’s internal conflict whilst being transported away from home. This action from the government finally affirms Christian’s thoughts and paranoia, and sets them as facts in his head. He feels only hate as he sees the government as his enemy. In his head, he begins to get angrier as he feels his whole life up to this point has been a complete lie and he just feels used. Finally reaching the prison, Christian and his band of rebels are thrown into an execution field covered by walls.

Christian thinks quick and rallies his men to prepare to fight (overthrow the effigy, burning down the foreman of control). He tells everyone to fight for their lives (bringing on the fury, the choir infantry) and make it an effort to at least leave a mark and impression before dying (rally up the demons of your soul). Christian, relying on adrenaline (well…. violent energy), charges on without a second thought. Guns begin to fire as the rebels fall one by one (blood’s been sacrificed) but thanks to the frontline's sacrifice, the men are able to make it to the executioners.

The executioners not expecting the rebels to fight and charge so viciously are taken aback and quickly beaten down (give me, give me revolution). Eventually, the rebels take over the small section with their newly acquired weapons and make their way towards the rest of the prison to see if there are rebels like them to be freed. The rebels search high and low and fight their way to victory and total control over the prison somehow. Jail after jail is unlocked as the rebels gain a huge number of supporters. This is where Christian first meets Gloria.

- song meaning written by u/potlah on r/GreenDay

• Like 1

3 hours ago, solongfromthestars said:

Billie actually explained the meaning himself:

“Know Your Enemy is about empowering yourself, like within yourself. There’s no specific enemy out there. It’s just trying to stay engaged and educated to the world - being able to read between the lines and figure out what the bullshit is, but also trying to find the truth.” (source)

They‘re writing songs with space for your own interpretation very often. But I never thought about the iraq war tbh. He said many times to figure out YOUR enemy like you quoted above. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Edit: lol I’m blind, was posted literally a few messages above mine. 

Stumbled upon this, not sure if someone posted it already: 

Cat Stevens on his new album, dreams of a Green Day collab, and the Glasto legend’s slot

https://www.nme.com/news/music/yusuf-cat-stevens-on-his-new-album-dreams-of-a-green-day-collab-and-the-glasto-legends-slot-3413933

• Like 1

Really good source here in Quebec.  Biggest festival of the year. 

Translate:

It smell like Green Day at FEQ 2023

img%5D

On July 16th. We are waiting for Billy Talent, Foo Fighters and Green Day... in the same night!

Answer tomorrow at noon for the whole lineup. 

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Translate:

img%5D

On July 16th. We are waiting for Billy Talent, Foo Fighters and Green Day... in the same night!

Green Day and Billy Talent on the same Stage 🙏😭😭

My fave Band with one of my Top 5 bands. I mean last year we got a super line up at Rock am Ring but this year? Awful

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Translate:

img%5D

CONFIRMED

Finally Green Day at FEQ 🤟🤟🤟🤟

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

CONFIRMED

Finally Green Day at FEQ 🤟🤟🤟🤟

Glad someone is excited. What a time to be a fan. Endless festivals and greatest hits shows celebrating 1994-2010 🤷

• Like 1

Anyone still looking for a copy of this? 

e55e01a738f8d68dd4cfed219989434f09d841d7

2ffff9de5a0462b0c307ac9728b1ed4a9c981806

Also thought I'd post this from Larry Livermore (can't remember if there's a Lookouts thread) 

d5f44e892a57022b9d778ad710b35c39ce99616615462bc475fda3b43c9ca6a190ae8ddc8a3e53a4

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...