Unreleased Nimrod Session Tracks

Todd

I love Nimrod, so it'd be pretty neat if these songs surfaced one day. Thanks for posting! :lol:

• Like 2

Why am I convinced that the other ska-core song is DUI? "punk with some polka horn lines", as it says--that reminds me of DUI/

Sorry for double posting but I just realized something--Ha Ha You're Dead is a Nimrod outtake, and so is DUI (confirmed by this list). That means that DUI and Ha Ha You're Dead could have both been advertised as both "previously unreleased songs", and if DUI's liner notes weren't sprayed out, it would've likely gave us information about it being recorded around the time of Nimrod.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Castaway2000 said:

Why am I convinced that the other ska-core song is DUI? "punk with some polka horn lines", as it says--that reminds me of DUI/

Sorry for double posting but I just realized something--Ha Ha You're Dead is a Nimrod outtake, and so is DUI (confirmed by this list). That means that DUI and Ha Ha You're Dead could have both been advertised as both "previously unreleased songs", and if DUI's liner notes weren't sprayed out, it would've likely gave us information about it being recorded around the time of Nimrod.

Ha Ha You're Dead I believe is NOT a Nimrod outtake. It was recorded at Catbox Studios, which is where Green Day recorded Maria in 2000, where the 2000 Pinhead Gunpowder songs were recorded, and where Billie recorded the 2001 Common Rider songs. They never used Catbox prior to 2000 as far as I'm aware. Also, I'm pretty sure the song is about Tim Yohannan, as is Platypus, and he died in 1998, after Nimrod.

• Like 1

Lol, I thought it was because of Wikipedia. Oops, ha ha ha. Well, the point is this: they could advertise Shenanigans for having two previously-unreleased tracks, right?

50 minutes ago, Todd said:

So that's what I've found so far, and I wanted to share this with everyone. There's still nothing known about Alfred E. Normal, You Irritate Me, Idiot, Ugly Day, Slow, Hairy Guy, or Laughing Stock. However, Sick of Me, Espionage, and Rotting aren't seen on the list of 29 songs. Perhaps one of the mystery songs could just be an early title for those? 

first off, great research! I love this shit, especially since nimrod is one of my favorite albums. I wanna point a couple things out though. Espionage wouldn't have been on that list, it's an instrumental and that's a vocal overdub list. but then again, Last Ride in is on it, weird, maybe it originally had vocals! Also, look at the credits from Shenanigans. The nimrod session was recorded by Ken Allardyce and mixed by Chris Lord-Alge. Suffocate, Desensitized, and Espionage all list Ken and Chris in the credits. Rotting and You Lied list Kevin Army and Jerry Finn for the recording and mixing credits, so I think it's a safe assumption that those were part of the insomniac sessions. I forget which, but one of the Green Day books I have said that there were 20 or more songs recorded for insomniac, so when you count the 14 on the album plus Rotting, You Lied, Do Da Da, I Wanna Be On TV, and Don't Wanna Fall In Love then that gets you close to filling in that session (maybe the demo of Good Riddance counts for that session too). Now we have Sick of Me left, and I'm not quite sure how this one fits. Sick was recorded by Ken Allardyce, but it was mixed by Neil King, who is the recording (not mix) engineer from Dookie, so that's kinda odd that he would just mix that one song

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Castaway2000 said:

Do we know when Jackass was written? That's what I first thought of.

I knew that Nimrod has a lot songs recorded and released, but now is that lot songs, seems odd that BJ said on "Cuatro" that this record was a "lyrical nightmare". Maybe is because they were trying to hit big with this album. I knew too that Nimrod was planned as a double album, so maybe now this "nightmare" sentence has sense, considering how many songs are inside!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, greendepent said:

I knew that Nimrod has a lot songs recorded and released, but now is that lot songs, seems odd that BJ said on "Cuatro" that this record was a "lyrical nightmare". Maybe is because they were trying to hit big with this album. I knew too that Nimrod was planned as a double album, so maybe now this "nightmare" sentence has sense, considering how many songs are inside!

Could have been a 90's Trilogy!  Nimrod! Dumbo! PLATYPUS!

Aaaaaaaaaaaand they would have flopped, except for the one with "Good Riddance" on it.  

HAHA!    

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kyle Serlington said:

first off, great research! I love this shit, especially since nimrod is one of my favorite albums. I wanna point a couple things out though. Espionage wouldn't have been on that list, it's an instrumental and that's a vocal overdub list. but then again, Last Ride in is on it, weird, maybe it originally had vocals! Also, look at the credits from Shenanigans. The nimrod session was recorded by Ken Allardyce and mixed by Chris Lord-Alge. Suffocate, Desensitized, and Espionage all list Ken and Chris in the credits. Rotting and You Lied list Kevin Army and Jerry Finn for the recording and mixing credits, so I think it's a safe assumption that those were part of the insomniac sessions. I forget which, but one of the Green Day books I have said that there were 20 or more songs recorded for insomniac, so when you count the 14 on the album plus Rotting, You Lied, Do Da Da, I Wanna Be On TV, and Don't Wanna Fall In Love then that gets you close to filling in that session (maybe the demo of Good Riddance counts for that session too). Now we have Sick of Me left, and I'm not quite sure how this one fits. Sick was recorded by Ken Allardyce, but it was mixed by Neil King, who is the recording (not mix) engineer from Dookie, so that's kinda odd that he would just mix that one song

Good research on your end too! I checked You Lied on my Good Riddance single to see if the mixing/engineer guys matched up when writing my post, and You Lied lists Ken Allardyce and mixed by Richard Dodd. I didn't think to check Shenanigans. So that's really odd that it's completely different in Shenanigans. I don't know what to think about that! That's weird about Sick of Me too.

As to Don't Wanna Fall In Love that's in the Dookie demos so does that work for the Insomniac count?

8 minutes ago, Libertine Angel said:

As to Don't Wanna Fall In Love that's in the Dookie demos so does that work for the Insomniac count?

Well it was recorded for Insomniac. Scattered was written during the Dookie sessions too, wasn't it? and Haushinka was written in 92. I guess what we're focusing on is what songs they were trying to record for the album, not what songs they wrote for the album. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Todd said:

Well it was recorded for Insomniac. Scattered was written during the Dookie sessions too, wasn't it? and Haushinka was written in 92. I guess what we're focusing on is what songs they were trying to record for the album, not what songs they wrote for the album.

Ah right, I was unaware of that, didn't know about Scattered too.

21 minutes ago, Todd said:

Good research on your end too! I checked You Lied on my Good Riddance single to see if the mixing/engineer guys matched up when writing my post, and You Lied lists Ken Allardyce and mixed by Richard Dodd. I didn't think to check Shenanigans. So that's really odd that it's completely different in Shenanigans. I don't know what to think about that! That's weird about Sick of Me too.

yeah Shenanigans has Jerry Finn for Rotting and You Lied I believe the AUS Nimrod had the same info but i don't have the case for that one anymore so can't check for it 

• Like 1

Just now, WhiteTim said:

yeah Shenanigans has Jerry Finn for Rotting and You Lied I believe the AUS Nimrod had the same info but i don't have the case for that one anymore so can't check for it 

I have it, didn't remember the booklet saying anything about the bonus tracks, but I just checked. You Lied says mixed by Richard Dodd and Engineered by Ken Allardyce, Do Da Da is the only one on there with Jerry Finn and Kevin Army. So it's Nimrod credits and Good Riddance credits vs Shenanigan credits

• Like 1

Just now, Todd said:

I have it, didn't remember the booklet saying anything about the bonus tracks, but I just checked. You Lied says mixed by Richard Dodd and Engineered by Ken Allardyce, Do Da Da is the only one on there with Jerry Finn and Kevin Army. So it's Nimrod credits and Good Riddance credits vs Shenanigan credits

then I'd go with the Nimrod ones which makes sense cause they didn't really sound like Insomniac songs 

• Like 1

Just now, WhiteTim said:

then I'd go with the Nimrod ones which makes sense cause they didn't really sound like Insomniac songs 

The only thing that checks out is Rotting. Both the Good Riddance single and Shenanigans show that it was recorded during the Insomniac sessions, which I never suspected! So that's cool to know now. 

2 minutes ago, Todd said:

The only thing that checks out is Rotting. Both the Good Riddance single and Shenanigans show that it was recorded during the Insomniac sessions, which I never suspected! So that's cool to know now. 

was Shenanigans put together by GD or Warner? 

6 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

was Shenanigans put together by GD or Warner? 

I have no clue. If I had to guess, I'd guess Warner? But then the inclusion then exclusion of DUI makes it hard to guess