New shows setlist discussion

Metadon

On the subject of time-killers, does anyone remember Story Time With Green Day? That was a great chill moment that preceded Before The Lobotomy. It was so fun to go to each concert thread and find out which story someone got. And, for the most part, I think they tried to do different ones each time. Mine was...someone getting tattooed maybe? I'd have to go back and look.

You can find a bunch of different ones on YouTube. Some of the stories are crazy embarrassing and gross (like his brother peeing in his mouth when they shared a bath as kids) and some are hilarious (arguing with Adrienne on the phone while he's beating on some guy for saying he sucks) 😂 I'd love a collection of all the stories in one place.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can find a bunch of different ones on YouTube. Some of the stories are crazy embarrassing and gross (like his brother peeing in his mouth when they shared a bath as kids) and some are hilarious (arguing with Adrienne on the phone while he's beating on some guy for saying he sucks) 😂 I'd love a collection of all the stories in one place.

This was mine lol

A collection of them would be awesome <3 Pretty easy to do actually, except who every has the time?

On the subject of time-killers, does anyone remember Story Time With Green Day? That was a great chill moment that preceded Before The Lobotomy. It was so fun to go to each concert thread and find out which story someone got. And, for the most part, I think they tried to do different ones each time. Mine was...someone getting tattooed maybe? I'd have to go back and look.

I liked what Billie did at our KFAD. He was like "This has been one hell of a week" and the way he said it was funny. It was just a nice moment of like...yeah, let's acknowledge that we've been dealing with some madness.

It was great! I loved the one from your show because it was Ricky Wilson from Kaiser Chiefs he tattooed :lol:. The one at my show was only funny because it was so bad, it was about Green Day turning the legal drinking age that day, except he then had to add that it was actually 3 days before and it wasn't even the correct drinking age in this country :P 

I'd love a collection of all the stories in one place.

Found a thread for that! The links don't work any more but could be useful for finding them/reading descriptions of them

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:40 AM, RougeRogue said:

I liked what Billie did at our KFAD. He was like "This has been one hell of a week" and the way he said it was funny. It was just a nice moment of like...yeah, let's acknowledge that we've been dealing with some madness.

Yes! I loved this and it was a blast how it was super spontaneous each night. The best one I saw was in Albany (epic show in a number of aspects). He told a story about getting so drunk one night he went into the closet and pissed all over 80's shoes...and then "flushed" the hanger. Looking back, it was a little sad considering how this was the height of his drinking issues, but at the same time it was such a good original story and a very unscripted and original part of the set. I'm glad he's not getting this fucked up anymore, but that was a great story and a really memorable part of an epic show.

30 minutes ago, TimmyChunks said:

Yes! I loved this and it was a blast how it was super spontaneous each night. The best one I saw was in Albany (epic show in a number of aspects). He told a story about getting so drunk one night he went into the closet and pissed all over 80's shoes...and then "flushed" the hanger. Looking back, it was a little sad considering how this was the height of his drinking issues, but at the same time it was such a good original story and a very unscripted and original part of the set. I'm glad he's not getting this fucked up anymore, but that was a great story and a really memorable part of an epic show.

Oh man, that is funny but also I would have been so pissed at him lol.  I think 80 must have a lot of patience. :)

I checked the list...and apparently the Ricky story wasn't only about tattooing but also about anal sex. :ermm: :lol:

Also I love how majority of the stories is about peeing. He's such a classy guy :wub:

Still no new song's been played from Revolution Radio .................  :dry: 

...and no Insomniac.

Oh well, like I said, they can only ignore that brilliant album for so long...

7 hours ago, TimmyChunks said:

Flushing the hanger was such an embellishment/lie though lmao. Toilets where you reach up and pull a chain to flush basically don't exist any more so why on earth would you instinctively reach there :P 

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

Flushing the hanger was such an embellishment/lie though lmao. Toilets where you reach up and pull a chain to flush basically don't exist any more so why on earth would you instinctively reach there :P 

We had one until about 2004 or 2005 so maybe the Armstrongs did too. :P

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

We had one until about 2004 or 2005 so maybe the Armstrongs did too. :P

Even if they did it's still too perfect :P. Still love all his pee stories though :lol: 

We had a collection of pee stories going for a while in the fangirls thread (don't ask me why). I suppose that's the end of an era, but that's okay. 😄 Unless knowing Billie he'll figure out a way to get high on Tums and Prednisone. 

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

We had a collection of pee stories going for a while in the fangirls thread (don't ask me why). I suppose that's the end of an era, but that's okay. 😄 Unless knowing Billie he'll figure out a way to get high on Tums and Prednisone. 

It's ok as long as he washes his hands afterwards. 

Yeah don't forget he was peeing in a bin and then going on stage without washing his hands while being filmed this year :lol:, I think the dude just likes to pee unconventionally :P 

10 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Yeah don't forget he was peeing in a bin and then going on stage without washing his hands while being filmed this year :lol:, I think the dude just likes to pee unconventionally :P 

Don't get us started 😂

19 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

How many threads can we hijack with pee stories? :ermm:

Sounds like a wager to me :ga:

But not really, maybe we should get back on topic, ahem :P 

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Wow, ok, "my tums intake" wasn't just a way of saying "my tummy's (food) intake"? Thanks for clearing that up. I feel so smart :lol:

45 minutes ago, herewegoagain said:

Wow, ok, "my tums intake" wasn't just a way of saying "my tummy's (food) intake"? Thanks for clearing that up. I feel so smart :lol:

No Tums is a brand of antacid 🙂

9 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

No Tums is a brand of antacid 🙂

Yeah, I realised via google after seeing your capital T.  Doesn't sound like a pleasant high, better stick to prednisone :P

Back on topic is this blog post  Dude makes a pretty solid case for the cliched stadium act and KFAD:

Excerpts:

Now, I follow setlistfm; I know that Green Day features these "spontaneous acts" at every show, but there was no denying the thrills and laughter that those audience-participation stunts generated, a feeling of good will and humor that hummed throughout the park, all the way up into Section 240, where I sat with a dumb grin on my face. I rolled my eyes at the thirtieth "Hey-oh, Hey-oh" call-and-response that Armstrong bellowed from the stage, the one-too-many "HELLO CHICAGO!" arena cliches, and the overly-elongated songs—but this morning, an odd thing happened: I awoke and remembered them fondly. Armstrong knows that those telegraphed, well-worn giant-stage gestures work, and that when they work, accompanied with the fireworks and the flash pots and the light show, the crowd feels involved and spirited, and when the crowd feels involved and spirited, every song sounds better, every solo sounds inspired, every beer tastes better, all of that fun accumulating as the long night goes on. Armstrong is tireless; his and his bandmates' stamina are magnificent, and the band's willingness to play long and hard is tribute to their affection and respect for their fans and the great time that they want, and pay for.

Green Day played not just a great stadium show last night, but a great rock and roll show, with hooks, spectacle, anthemic choruses, grins, a well-paced roar of songs with the proper ebbs and flows. I knew in advance that "King For A Day" was going to blend into the Isley Brothers' "Shout"—the band's been doing that for years—but I was dubious about "Shout" blending into the Stones' "Satisfaction" and then into the Beatles' "Hey Jude," warhorses all. Yet at that point in the song, three quarters of the way through the show, Armstrong, lying on his back, implored the crowd to fuck politics and fuck Neo Nazis and fuck hate speech and by extension fuck Trump, and as he sang "take a sad song and make it better," with his eyes shut, he looked a little embarrassed at the song's shopworn sentimentality, but also probably like looks at home on the floor, alone, singing a song that he digs no matter how "classic" and overplayed it might be, no matter how many strangers love it for different, corny reasons. It was the most intimate moment of the night—a pretty remarkable occasion considering that he's lying on the stage in front of thousands of people. It led warmth and texture to everything that came and everything that followed.

On 8/24/2017 at 9:40 AM, RougeRogue said:

Yes! I was at the show where Billie told the story about Adrienne and his friend "Brando" and how he beat up some guy in the backseat of a car for yelling Green Day sucks. :P 

Archived