New shows setlist discussion

Metadon

+1 everything Melissa said. Add to that even those of us who don't GO to many shows still (can) watch a lot of it online and that adds to the feeling of repetetiveness. And you can look at pretty much any video from recent shows and the last thing you'll see is a band tired of playing the same old ~boring~ hit tracks. I think they're pretty happy with the way things are. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to me it just seems that with every album release comes more staple songs to the set, meaning the songs they keep long after the album is over, and theyre beginning to hit the point where every single song on the set is one of those type of songs, with about half the set being the same few american idiot and dookie songs they've been playing since those albums released. welcome to paradise, burnout, when i come around, she, basket case, 2k light years, American Idiot, Boulevard, Holiday, and St Jimmy. and from other albums Good Riddance (great closer but it's been too long, it's not even a prom song anymore ffs), Know Your Enemy, KFAD (love it but JESUS THE GAG IS GETTIN OLD BOYS), and Hitchin a Ride. It's a good set I just, like most of the people here, think it needs some versatility. Drop KFAD for an Insomniac song. Drop 2k Light Years for One Of My Lies, even if only for a couple shows bc i understand it's basically Adrienne's song. Drop Knowledge for fucking At The Library or Paper Lanterns or 409 in Your Coffeemaker! Drop Waiting (if they're even still playing that, i know they did on the club tour) for fuckin Castaway or Blood, Sex, And Booze or Church on Sunday. And if they ever in their lifetime drop Good Riddance put When It's Time in it's place! Just play something different!! sigh.

10 hours ago, melissi_unicorn said:

I think the reasons why we constantly complain about the setlist are:

- most of us go to multiple shows, so shows start to get boring - I honestly don't get why those fans complain about it. They kinda do it to themselves. When you see them 20 times during one tour cycle, you just can't expect a surprise anymore. 

- most of us know every single song GD ever released to the public and constantly yearn to see those deep cuts live

First of all, I agree with most of what you said.

I am aware that I have no real right to complain, and that's not really what I intended to do anyway (sorry if it sounded that way).

I know I wrote something along the lines of the show almost getting boring, but let's be honest, there's no way anyone can be bored at a gd show. I dance and sing my heart out, whether I've heard a song for the first or for the hundredth time. 

Perhaps, what I should have written instead is that it feels like they're way less spontaneous than they used to be? And that's what I meant as well when I said that they're playing it a bit too safe. There used to be a lot more variation when it came to the setlists. Or at least it feels that way. They tried new things a lot. I remember them playing "Fuck Time" back when we only knew the song from FBHT shows. I remember them playing "I fought the law" and "Maria" and it didn't really seem all that planned, or at least they played it for that show only. 

Songs like "She" and "KFAD", they may not be singles, but green day know exactly how the audiences react to those songs, because they've played them for years. 

I don't want them to create an entirely knew setlist, I don't even want them to change the songs that act as a main structure of the setlist. I simply miss the spontaneity. The feeling that anything could happen. That they might suddenly start playing "Pulling teeth" simply because they feel like it.

I don't want to speculate why they mostly stick to the same setlist, I just wanted to express that I miss that spontaneity and the random songs.

11 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

He said that in Dublin in June 2010 and in a few days they'll be back for the first time since then so...

Don't take anything I say seriously.

5 hours ago, imXieli said:

to me it just seems that with every album release comes more staple songs to the set, meaning the songs they keep long after the album is over, and theyre beginning to hit the point where every single song on the set is one of those type of songs, with about half the set being the same few american idiot and dookie songs they've been playing since those albums released. welcome to paradise, burnout, when i come around, she, basket case, 2k light years, American Idiot, Boulevard, Holiday, and St Jimmy. and from other albums Good Riddance (great closer but it's been too long, it's not even a prom song anymore ffs), Know Your Enemy, KFAD (love it but JESUS THE GAG IS GETTIN OLD BOYS), and Hitchin a Ride. It's a good set I just, like most of the people here, think it needs some versatility. Drop KFAD for an Insomniac song. Drop 2k Light Years for One Of My Lies, even if only for a couple shows bc i understand it's basically Adrienne's song. Drop Knowledge for fucking At The Library or Paper Lanterns or 409 in Your Coffeemaker! Drop Waiting (if they're even still playing that, i know they did on the club tour) for fuckin Castaway or Blood, Sex, And Booze or Church on Sunday. And if they ever in their lifetime drop Good Riddance put When It's Time in it's place! Just play something different!! sigh.

Good Riddance was dropped on the 99revs tour for Brutal Love and it was amazing 

13 hours ago, PerthGDFAN said:

thats promising! 

Yeah but he is full of shit just like me:D

2 hours ago, Justin said:

Good Riddance was dropped on the 99revs tour for Brutal Love and it was amazing 

if there was one trilogy song i'd want in the set besides Let Yourself Go (for moshing reasons), or x-kid it would be this. brutal love is such a beautiful song and it's a shame i didnt realize it until long after the album's cycle was over (like not long before revrad was announced)

thanks for that new footage of Billie's singing the short version Wake me up when Stept end..( wish it was longer)

i wish Tre should sing more..I love that song All by myself and D.love slave (both live).and Billie would play drum.

Ok, it seems the change ups in the Europe Tour/ Leg have finally begun. According to setlist.fm and the specific thread, they played Going to Pasalacqua and more interestingly Paper Lanterns yesterday in Sweden:

There's still 4 normal and 4 festival shows coming up. Let's hope this continues from here. I'm still skeptical when it comes to festivals, but maybe they'll play some interesting stuff at Hyde Park, who knows...

Wow so if the Live Count on GDA is up to date they haven't actually played Paper Lanterns since Gilman in 2015? :o I thought it was at least played at the Rough Trade show in October or something. Excuse me but holy shit :lol::dance: 

I'm hoping EJN or WTP will make an appearance on the setlist in Dublin, I'd give my arm to hear either of those live, along with Stuart 

Maybe this is a bit irrelevant but this is my created setlist :D :

21st CB

Know Your Enemy

Bang bang 

East Jesus Nowhere

Viva La Gloria

We are the champions

Give me novocaine

Longview

Welcome to Paradise

Scattered

When i come around

Brain Stew

Hitchin a ride

Waiting

Basket case

Going to pasalacqua

Christie road

Holiday

Boulevard

Restless heart syndrome

21 guns

Are we the waiting

St jimmy

Forever now

Still Breathing

American idiot

Jesus of Suburbia

Acoustic: 

Whatsername

Wake me up when september ends

When it's time

Good Riddance

Swapping songs is cool,so they didn't do 2000LYA or Burnout and did the other ones which is a nice change but it's lame that these aren't really extending the show and they always gotta remove the best old shit for any other old shit. These songs are so short they should just be adding a couple, replacing sucks. They should alternate Longview with Welcome To Paradise, theres too much crowd interaction as is.

23 minutes ago, St. Jonny said:

Swapping songs is cool,so they didn't do 2000LYA or Burnout and did the other ones which is a nice change but it's lame that these aren't really extending the show and they always gotta remove the best old shit for any other old shit. These songs are so short they should just be adding a couple, replacing sucks. They should alternate Longview with Welcome To Paradise, theres too much crowd interaction as is.

I am glad they cut out 2000ya but Burnout? Too bad

anyways..Which song did the boys swapping to 

3 hours ago, bouncingoffthewallbja said:

I'm hoping EJN or WTP will make an appearance on the setlist in Dublin, I'd give my arm to hear either of those live, along with Stuart 

Heard 'em all, some multiple times, and I'd gladly donate an arm as well to hear them again, too.

GD would never do this, because they're too big/ iconic at this point, but I can't help but think of the Weezer tour a few years back. They played a bunch of cities on back to back nights where one night was the Blue album + an encore and then the following night was Pinkerton + an encore. And as you'd suspect the encores were a sprinkling of hits and rare tracks. 

Could you imagine what it would be like if they did this with Dookie and AI/21CB/Insomniac? I'd probably quit my occupation and tour with them the entire time. 

17 minutes ago, TimmyChunks said:

Heard 'em all, some multiple times, and I'd gladly donate an arm as well to hear them again, too.

GD would never do this, because they're too big/ iconic at this point, but I can't help but think of the Weezer tour a few years back. They played a bunch of cities on back to back nights where one night was the Blue album + an encore and then the following night was Pinkerton + an encore. And as you'd suspect the encores were a sprinkling of hits and rare tracks. 

Could you imagine what it would be like if they did this with Dookie and AI/21CB/Insomniac? I'd probably quit my occupation and tour with them the entire time. 

I would travel anywhere in the world to see them play any album front to back. 

I've never really understood why they didn't ever jump on this. It's a popular trend nowadays, so many bands are on the album tours, I guess it's all "past" not present but still. Dookie your for example would sell out in minutes!

Side note; I've had shit luck with album tours in the past so someday it has to change and GreenDay might be the answer. 

20 hours ago, Justin said:

I've never really understood why they didn't ever jump on this. It's a popular trend nowadays, so many bands are on the album tours, I guess it's all "past" not present but still. Dookie your for example would sell out in minutes!

Side note; I've had shit luck with album tours in the past so someday it has to change and GreenDay might be the answer. 

Im still salty I didn't get Dookie in full at least at one Soundwave;):dry:

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:08 PM, Justin said:

No kidding. When they were discussing through interviews the importance of the Dookie anniversary a couple years ago I thought they were hinting at this type of tour...but they played the album at a couple European tours and that was it. I'm kind of surprised (or maybe it's wishful thinking) they didn't do a Dookie + (maybe RevRad) type tour in the time since. They could play Dookie front to back and still have time for another 10-15 songs. But I suppose they haven't since they clearly don't need to do anything aside from what they want to at this point- and their "want to" setlist is still pretty amazing.

Wake Me Up When September Ends made an appearence again last night. Not sure about the rest of the setlist, setlist.fm hasn't been filled in....

...and I'm so mad again for them not playing it at Greenfield arrrggh

6 hours ago, TimmyChunks said:

No kidding. When they were discussing through interviews the importance of the Dookie anniversary a couple years ago I thought they were hinting at this type of tour...but they played the album at a couple European tours and that was it. I'm kind of surprised (or maybe it's wishful thinking) they didn't do a Dookie + (maybe RevRad) type tour in the time since. They could play Dookie front to back and still have time for another 10-15 songs. But I suppose they haven't since they clearly don't need to do anything aside from what they want to at this point- and their "want to" setlist is still pretty amazing.

Yeah the thing is playing Dookie really doesn't take very long. The album isn't long and they already play half of it in the regular setlist (not half the songs, but the songs they do play are the longer ones) and they rip through it, so it only takes like 20 minutes extra. It's basically a regular show with one different thing that happens in the middle and a couple of the regular songs taken out, I saw it at Brixton and it was barely different from seeing a regular show. I mean they could've done it more times, but I think they would have to do two short albums or pick a longer one or make other big changes if they wanted to make it a special thing to sell a whole tour on.

I also think it would look pretty bad to do a whole tour of an old album when they have new music out. They'd run the risk of looking washed up so that could be part of the reason they only did it at a few shows. Still I do hope they find the time to do it again whatever album it is, it's really cool when they do.

2 hours ago, MilleniumFan said:

Wake Me Up When September Ends made an appearence again last night. Not sure about the rest of the setlist, setlist.fm hasn't been filled in....

...and I'm so mad again for them not playing it at Greenfield arrrggh

Aw, that's nice, I'm almost beginning to really like it. I wonder if the seven years (as opposed to 20 the other night) is a coincidence/Billie mixing it up or whether they actually played the whole song this time?

Yeah, I'd be interested to know that too. Unfornately, I couldn't find another video yet...

Read someone's review saying it was just an intro, and then into Ordinary World.

Archived