New shows setlist discussion

Metadon

3 minutes ago, James11693 said:

Anyone bummed about how short the set list was? Not that it was short, but for a Green Day show it kind of is. I don't think it even hit 2 full hours. Glad they are back but the set list itself could seriously use something fresh. Throw in some more rare songs. I'd like to see more Breakdown and Trilogy songs on there to be honest 

Agree with you about Breakdown and Trlogy songs but I think they're building up to the shows that have longer setlists, Aren't these kinda shows just sort of warm-ups to get back into the swing of things? I also heard that there was a curfew at the venue, and I don' think they were 100% healthy after the illness they had.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Platypus2000 said:

Agree with you about Breakdown and Trlogy songs but I think they're building up to the shows that have longer setlists, Aren't these kinda shows just sort of warm-ups to get back into the swing of things? I also heard that there was a curfew at the venue, and I don' think they were 100% healthy after the illness they had.

I don't think it had anything to do with a curfew. I've been to shows there that went later than 11. 

1 minute ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I don't think it had anything to do with a curfew. I've been to shows there that went later than 11. 

I'm not entirely sure obviously, but maybe it changes on day to day basis due to certain situations or something. I don't know. 

I will love whatever they play, but at this point they should really just swap KYE with Murder City for the token 21CB song.

Part of me is happy that they've kept the setlist pretty much the same, I think I would be a little disappointed if I didn't hear some of their biggest hits when I see them for the first time.. having said that, it would be pretty nice to see a few of the lesser played songs make an appearance (Kill the DJ please)

11 hours ago, J a c said:

Operation erase the Trilogy :lol: And I'm not completely fine with it, there are at least two/three songs I'd love to see live again. Anyways it looks like a funny but still pretty temporary setlist, I guess it will evolve show after show. Is this story that they were still sick real?

They played a snippet of Nuclear Family during Scattered.   This is something a lot of bands have started doing to fit in more songs.  Korn said they were going to start doing it (don't follow them closely to know if they do) and I saw Weezer do it.   A big medley of songs in the middle of the set.    If they aren't going to play anything off the Trilogy they could at least play bits and pieces of them between songs.   That would be better than Hey Ho's.   HA

2 hours ago, Otávio Vidal said:

I really don't get why Green Day explicitly forgot 21 Guns exists after the 21stCB tour. They seem to hate their own hits: 21 Guns, WMUWSE, BOBD... grrr

Also that setlist structure has been around for lilterally more than a decade. Time for a change huh?

I'm not even saying that old "stop the 10 minutes KFAD" but the whole thing is getting outdated

This. I mean I get that they have a lot of hits, but those three songs you mentioned were huge, platinum singles, that also work as great crowd sing-alongs. And I agree about the setlist structure. I do think KFAD should be scrapped, along with KYE, she, and any and all cover songs. Also, I think each night there should be a random song that either has never been played live, or has not been played in at least 10 years. There are plenty to choose from.

OK. I know this is just a warm up for the actual tour and that plenty of songs from Revolution Radio Will be added to the setlist once it's released but damn, this is like the same show they've been doing for ages.

Doesn't it ever get boring for them playing the same show every night?

Nothing against the songs played. They are giant hits for a reason. Everything against the lack of variety on the setlist. I mean, scroll through setlist.fm. It's the same show all the time, kinda.

They are about to have 12 records out. That's almost 200 songs to choose from. It can't be always the same 25 or 30.

They should do what Pearl Jam hás been doing for years and change the setlist a lot from show to show.

I think that keeps it interesting for the Band and for the crowd. Not knowing what comes next is Good. I mean, it hás gotten to the point where you know exactly what they're gonna say and do.

Besides that...glad they're back. Hope they come to South América. Loved Revolution Radio!!!

I'm sick of this predictable setlist, I want something more random. For the last 12 years we know exactly which songs come next except for the "audibles" and the "random songs" in the acoustic encore during 21stCB tour.

I would love:

-more than half new album in the regular setlist

-less american idiot

-alternate opener (Welcome to Paradise, American Idiot, Nice Guys Finish Last, Armatage Shanks, Warning, 21st Century Breakdown, 99 Revolutions, Bang Bang, Revolution Radio, Going to Pasalacqua)

-more rarities (not always the same oldies)

-alternate setlist scheme (not always an acoustic encore as closer)

Green Day shows are awesome, there's no doubt about that. But it'd would even better if they were able to surprise us at least with a couple of songs. I think even not so die hard fans would appreciate it, I mean when I went to my first GD show (Madrid, 2009) I listened for the first time Macy's Day Parade and Christie Road and believe me, it really made me to get more into Green Day. 

18 minutes ago, Digoco said:

Green Day shows are awesome, there's no doubt about that. But it'd would even better if they were able to surprise us at least with a couple of songs. I think even not so die hard fans would appreciate it, I mean when I went to my first GD show (Madrid, 2009) I listened for the first time Macy's Day Parade and Christie Road and believe me, it really made me to get more into Green Day. 

Yeah, totally agree! There is no doubt about that, GD is the best live act in the universe!

Given the setlist shortness and lack of variety, I don't feel as bad about not getting into their club show tour. Hopefully the arena tour has long sets like 21CB tour.

i totally understand that they have to play the hits, every band does, but to me that doesn't mean they have to play the exact same songs in the exact same order on every single tour for seven years. i just don't understand that argument. if someone goes to the shows only knowing their hits anyway then what difference does it make to them if they see new songs that would probably be killer live instead of a ten minute cover of shout? 

no, i'm not being entitled, and i fully realize that they have to cater to the casual fan as well as the die hards, but i also can't imagine that the setlist hasn't gotten at least a little bit stale for the band themselves. even just small things like switching out king for a day or jesus of suburbia for a couple newer songs and a few deep cuts would make a world of difference in my opinion. especially seeing as those two songs alone take up like a third of every single show :P 

i always enjoy seeing them and i'd consider every single green day show i've been to one of the best nights of my life but i really think changing it up and adding a few surprises would be great for the band and the fans both. 

a lot of bands have been doing a couple dates in each city playing only songs from certain albums each night and i think that would be really cool for green day to do at some point.  

6 minutes ago, Teenage Lush said:

a lot of bands have been doing a couple dates in each city playing only songs from certain albums each night and i think that would be really cool for green day to do at some point.  

A full night of Insomniac? I'd die. :shok:

7 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

A full night of Insomniac? I'd die. :shok:

me too. probably literally, can you imagine how insane the pit would be? :lol: 

but really i think it would be so cool! it would give them the chance to play all sorts of old AND new stuf that they don't normally play. plus no one could complain about the hits or casual fans or king for a day because everyone would know what they're buying tickets for ahead of time. 

plus i still just need westbound sign live and i think this is the only way we'll ever get it :P 

Jimmy Eat World about 4 years back asked fans to tweet them songs they've never played live before. That subsequent tour had them play all the songs they never played.

For hardcore fans it was amazing, I got to hear my favourite ballads and acoustic tracks. However, the crowd sucked, every rare song was met with people on their phones, (this guy next to me spoke all the way through chase this light, a slow quiet song which was totally ruined). They would need to heavily advertise a deep cut rare show to stop that from happening.

It was one of the best times I saw JImmy but also one of the worst cause I felt isolated (dramatic word I know) being the only person freaking out over the rare songs.

If someone spoke next to me through Whatsername Id lose my shit

37 minutes ago, Justin said:

Jimmy Eat World about 4 years back asked fans to tweet them songs they've never played live before. That subsequent tour had them play all the songs they never played.

For hardcore fans it was amazing, I got to hear my favourite ballads and acoustic tracks. However, the crowd sucked, every rare song was met with people on their phones, (this guy next to me spoke all the way through chase this light, a slow quiet song which was totally ruined). They would need to heavily advertise a deep cut rare show to stop that from happening.

It was one of the best times I saw JImmy but also one of the worst cause I felt isolated (dramatic word I know) being the only person freaking out over the rare songs.

If someone spoke next to me through Whatsername Id lose my shit

Here in Argentina, Green Day could play Rest, and all the crowd will be moshing.  Every and each of the rarities they played in 2010 were welcome.

Looking at the setlist,  I like that they played songs from so many different albums. It seemed like a good mix of songs. Even though they've been playing some of them for a long time, they are popular so you can't blame them. 

Every new tour since AI has seemed to have the same setlist structure (and yes, our favorite KFAD just cannot, will not, and seemingly won't retire), and every time I complain. Last night was no exception.

However, I need to take the time to reflect that while the setlist could be better or more varied, I am seeing them in a matter of days. I could be not seeing them at all. In fact, I should be not seeing them at all- the fact that they're still around, creating kickass music, and touring is so incredibly rare. There are only a handful left from their vintage worth seeing and following (Pearl Jam being their closest peer, I think). And it just so happens that my favorite band from '94 are basically the last guys standing. That's ridiculously fortunate.

Then I start to feel guilty- me bitching about the setlist is like crawling across the desert dying of thirst, and then complaining that your lifesaving glass of water doesn't have ice in it. Or that you had booked the Ritz and were put up in the Four Seasons instead. High class problems that you feel a little guilty about.

Sure, the setlist could, and I believe should be better...but I need to take a deep breath and a more zen approach about this! Maybe I'm just too amped up since the show's a couple days away.

I'll still say a little prayer tonight with the hopes that Still Breathing, more Lookout stuff, and some Insomniac make it into the rotation- can't hurt to hope.

15 hours ago, Steven Seagull said:

They should just replace JOS after 12 years with three better songs. Insomniac gets no love at all. 86, Westbound Sign, Armatage Shanks...

I'd like this as many times as I've seen JoS live if I could. Which is a lot.

The demand for insomniac on this thread makes me happy .

Well,the old songs and rarities are short anyway so i'm sure casual fans can endure 2 minutes of confusion.

16 hours ago, joeandcambria said:

There's a lot of entitlement going around. This band doesn't owe it to you to play deep cuts, they don't owe you anything at all. Be happy that they play for 2+ hours almost every show, there are bands out there that play 1 hour headlining shows, playing the exact same songs they always do. Green Day still changes it up each tour, adding in different songs, like Scattered. If you're bored with it, don't go.

I don't know what entitlement is there in having an opinion about their setlists. No one said they owe us anything we are just discussing their show.

after seeing most of the show on youtube i think they need more heyoooos and more billie shouting basic rockstar stuff into the mic. it's not enough. also not enough singles. wtf is waiting or scattered, ditch that shit. also i hope for an extended minority outro. i'd like to hear 20 minutes of the same three chords repeated without anything going on, not only 5. and i missed tshirt shooters and toilet  paper guns.

Archived