New shows setlist discussion

Metadon

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, dolce_amore93 said:

Every time I go to a Green Day concert I think "God, is this almost over? I'm so bored. Get me outta here." :lol:

That is why I never want to see them, must be boring as hell! 

Spoiler

:cry:

7 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

The problem with the hits is that because they are overplayed they get boring.

LOL, duh! Anyway, I liked it that they played Scattered (with Nuclear Family in between, man I gotta see how it was done), Waiting, Christie Road, Are We The Waiting and to support you, a few songs from Insomniac would have been even better but I'm taking this as more of a warm-up performance after quite a time gap and not to mention we've already seen one more setlist where songs like Armatage Shanks, some more Insomniac/Nimrod songs and even Say Goodbye was present!

I love Holiday and St. Jimmy, but they could swap either out for Say Goodbye and it would work perfectly.

They play the hits for casual fans and randos. Not everyone is psycho into them like we are. Even a fan of the band may only know the hits.

2 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Not everyone is psycho into them like we are.

We need to be reminded of this often, on many levels. 

Last night I told my mom I was tracking their first concert on social media and she was like, "Umm, ok. What?" :lol:

2 minutes ago, dolce_amore93 said:

We need to be reminded of this often, on many levels. 

I'll be talking about Green Day with someone and just automatically assume they know what I'm on about when I cherry pick songs from Kerplunk and 39/smooth hahaha

I feel like they should do three setlists. A RevRad setlist, a 'fast setlist', with songs like Holiday, Letterbomb, AI, Minority, and a ton of 90s stuff. And an a acousting setlist with songs like BoBD, WMUWSE, 21 Guns, The Forgotton, Good Riddance etc. If each set is 12 songs, and they cut out the Hey Ohs and 15 minute long KFAD/Shout, it should come in at about 2 and a half hours. Then do an encore of Jos, Homecoming and DRB. 3 hour show, like they have done for much of their career.

This is all classic "you can please some of the people some of the time" scenario.  I have a friend who will be seeing them live for the,first time this tour and who would be gutted if she didn't get to see the big hitters. So yes, I could cope without KFAD but she wants to see it live.  

Yes can't wait for another boring Green Day concert lol 😂

The reality is. I'm going to see them for the first time in my life in February and when I am actually there I'll be happy with whatever the fuck they do play. The setlist and what song is coming next will be the last thing on my mind.

1 hour ago, Steven Seagull said:

People shouldn't buy a ticket then if they only come to the show to hear the hits. I can listen their hits at home in better quality too. If I go to the show I would like to hear something they don't play very often. 

What kind of argument is that, you could also hear Ha Ha You're Dead or any rarity at home. The point of going to a show is to see them play (any song) live and breath the same air as them.

41 minutes ago, Platypus2000 said:

The reality is. I'm going to see them for the first time in my life in February and when I am actually there I'll be happy with whatever the fuck they do play. The setlist and what song is coming next will be the last thing on my mind.

See you there, buddy.

I have to agree with those who find the setlist a bit old/boring.  KFAD/shout has played its role I think..  They have tons of good songs to choose from, and they should change the setlist... I was at a Bruce Springsteen show this summer, he was playing almost nonstop for over 3 hours. 

I hope this was just a warm-up show and they'll bring more deep cuts later along the tour, as well as longer shows and they should ditch kfad. (I might end all my posts with KFAD must be ditched from now)

They really didn't do anything surprising except for the Scattered/NF mashup. 

I'm not too happy about the small amount of 21CB/Trilogy material they played. 

God they really need to get rid of king for a day, it's been done to death by this stage. They could play 2 or 3 more songs in that time. Bang Bang sounds brilliant live though! Good to see them on the road again even if the setlist is a bit samey :P

I'm surprised at the lack of new songs on the setlist. I guess they'll play more of them after the album comes out.

I'm also surprised at the omission of BOBD and WMUWSE, but pleased to see AWTW

2 hours ago, cabot_girl said:

I was at a Bruce Springsteen show this summer, he was playing almost nonstop for over 3 hours. 

I'm pretty sure the arena shows or open-air-shows (if there will be some) will be longer. At least that's my experience. When they play at festivals, the shows are shorter, too. Might be the same with club shows. I really think they are some kind of warm-up period. They haven't toured in years and have to get used to it again. Plus, probably they weren't 100% healthy yesterday.

And I'm fine with the setlist, I don't get the hate for KFAD. It's my highlight, I just love it :D And it's no surprise that they didn't play too many new songs, it was the same at the shows I went to in 2012 before the trilogy came out. Just because you have listened to the leak doesn't mean we all (and especially the not-so-hardcore-fans out there) have. ;-)

Still hoping for some trilogy songs though!

4 hours ago, Greywind said:

but KFAD is the best song ever for shows, it was epic

Exactly :lol: As much as they play the song live, it has such a high energy and gets everyone to mosh. Just watching the footage from Bullet in a Bible, everyone was up, dancing with strangers, and if that isn't epic I dunno what is haha 

5 hours ago, Steven Seagull said:

They should just replace JOS after 12 years with three better songs. Insomniac gets no love at all. 86, Westbound Sign, Armatage Shanks...

We... actually agree on something? :lol: 

3 hours ago, Siddharth_471 said:

LOL, duh! Anyway, I liked it that they played Scattered (with Nuclear Family in between, man I gotta see how it was done) ... 

Honestly, it was really quick and not very memorable. Billie just sang and strummed like two lines during the bridge and seemed sort of amused that nobody knew what the fuck was going on. 

I really don't get why Green Day explicitly forgot 21 Guns exists after the 21stCB tour. They seem to hate their own hits: 21 Guns, WMUWSE, BOBD... grrr

Also that setlist structure has been around for lilterally more than a decade. Time for a change huh?

I'm not even saying that old "stop the 10 minutes KFAD" but the whole thing is getting outdated

There's a lot of entitlement going around. This band doesn't owe it to you to play deep cuts, they don't owe you anything at all. Be happy that they play for 2+ hours almost every show, there are bands out there that play 1 hour headlining shows, playing the exact same songs they always do. Green Day still changes it up each tour, adding in different songs, like Scattered. If you're bored with it, don't go.

I mentioned to hubby that the set list was pretty similar to when we've seen them. He said that that was disappointing and then asked me if I loved every minute anyway (thanks, jim)?  My answer was, of course, yes. I'm just so happy to have them back touring and in fine form.  I really don't care what they play. I'm happy with it all.

Anyone bummed about how short the set list was? Not that it was short, but for a Green Day show it kind of is. I don't think it even hit 2 full hours. Glad they are back but the set list itself could seriously use something fresh. Throw in some more rare songs. I'd like to see more Breakdown and Trilogy songs on there to be honest 

Archived