New shows setlist discussion

Metadon

I can totally see why Insomniac and the trilogy were left off the setlist this time around. I'm in a band myself and I've been recording vocals lately for a CD and there's some songs that I just have a hard time with, I can't put the effort into them and make them sound good. They're only 2 years old but they're songs about how I used to be a depressed alcoholic, and that's not me anymore. This year I pretty much stopped drinking and I have a way better outlook on life. I've been listening to Insomniac a lot lately though and I love it but it's dark, and I understand Billie not wanting to sing those lyrics night after night. I'll always love angsty bratty green day but I do really enjoy enlightened billie too, I'm glad to see him in a better place!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm, but then again they still play Hitchin A Ride every night, so maybe I'm wrong lol

That's true of the album as a whole, but this applies to songs from other albums too. I mean, would Billie consider himself a proper Basket Case still? Does he still hang around with nothing other to do but smoke pot and masturbate? I guess they're fun songs in a way, but I also think he doesn't sing the songs in the same way as he did then, as in: ''this is who I am and what I do right now''. Also, there's songs on the album that would work perfectly in today's age, with the subject being everything around us or Billie, songs like: no Pride or Walking Contradiction. Also, no reason to not play Westbound Sign...

At first when I saw the tracklist for GFB I thought, oh that’s why they’re sticking so strictly to a setlist of hits — they were kind of pre-promoting the album they knew was coming. May still be true but then doesn’t explain why they didn’t play Brain Stew or Oh Love. 

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:50 PM, AmyxLongview said:

Is anyone else a little tired of Holiday and BOBD? I know they're huge hits and will never get taken off, but I'd love to see them replaced with Somewhere Now and Say Goodbye.

I'm really attached to those two songs because they got me into Green Day, but if I had to do a swap I'd swap Holiday for EJN just so we can have more 21CB in the setlist.

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 4:35 PM, imXieli said:

should be lighters up not phone lights...

I'll take the safer and more convenient option thanks :P 

On 6/28/2017 at 6:49 PM, WhiteTim said:

So basically you only want 1039 to Warning played? 

i would nothing more to have them play through all of 1039 and kerplunk including no one knows

20 hours ago, MillenniumFan said:

That's true of the album as a whole, but this applies to songs from other albums too. I mean, would Billie consider himself a proper Basket Case still? Does he still hang around with nothing other to do but smoke pot and masturbate? I guess they're fun songs in a way, but I also think he doesn't sing the songs in the same way as he did then, as in: ''this is who I am and what I do right now''. Also, there's songs on the album that would work perfectly in today's age, with the subject being everything around us or Billie, songs like: no Pride or Walking Contradiction. Also, no reason to not play Westbound Sign...

I would imagine that some of the songs he's played a million times have taken on different meanings for him at this point. Like when he wrote Basket Case it was more about his own confusion with his mental health, but now that he has a better understanding of that side of himself, it's probably more of like a communal thing like all of us (crowd and band) are a little fucked up but we can sing about it together. A song like Hitchin' A Ride has a fun vibe regardless of the subject matter and while at the time it might've been about his drinking being out of control, maybe now it's more or a reminder that that side still exists but he can keep it in check and still have fun. I'm just speculating but, based on what I've heard from other artists and a bit from Billie, it seems like songs that rarely get played sort of stay in their old meanings/feelings, but ones that get played every night for years, can evolve. 

• 3 weeks later...

People should be very happy with tonight’s setlist in Sao Paulo. Loads of bonus songs, the lucky buggers. 

So, what's the over/ under on when KFAD is retired? I guess it's sometime around 2030? I thought they'd be done with it after the Nimrod/ Warning tours and boy was I wrong. I thought it'd go away after AI, and then 21CB, and then Trilogy...you know where this is going. I am willing to start a "survival" pool on when it's finally dropped from the setlist. I just dropped $5 in the bucket. I call the tour after next. If we have to pick a date for a tie breaker it's October of 2023. Anyone else in?

Woah, is that like the most changes between two night of one tour in the past year? I'm so thrilled! Even though I'm not there I'm just relieved to see there's an actual change of multiple songs being changed in the setlist. Also they played 31. That's the most in awhile as well. Maybe they're realizing these are the last shows for at least a bit and might as well play as much as they can. 

7 minutes ago, gaslight13 said:

Woah, is that like the most changes between two night of one tour in the past year? I'm so thrilled! Even though I'm not there I'm just relieved to see there's an actual change of multiple songs being changed in the setlist. Also they played 31. That's the most in awhile as well. Maybe they're realizing these are the last shows for at least a bit and might as well play as much as they can. 

Maybe a combination of knowing the tour is ending and not having a curfew. Can we look forward to many more shows like these? I hope there’s video.

They really did F.O.D., Nice Guys Finish Last, Scattered, Armatage Shanks and Waiting on top of the reg set? What did they do to deserve that the US and Canada crowd didn't do? Fuck, I'm jealous. 

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Maybe a combination of knowing the tour is ending and not having a curfew. Can we look forward to many more shows like these? I hope there’s video.

Good point. I didn't even consider that so many of the shows on the US tour probably had curfews. Does SA just not do that? They must know how to party down there, haha.

7 minutes ago, St. Jonny said:

They really did F.O.D., Nice Guys Finish Last, Scattered, Armatage Shanks and Waiting on top of the reg set? What did they do to deserve that the US and Canada crowd didn't do? Fuck, I'm jealous. 

Take a look at 2010 South America's setlist lol (specially Argentina and Costa Rica) 

5 minutes ago, gaslight13 said:

Good point. I didn't even consider that so many of the shows on the US tour probably had curfews. Does SA just not do that? They must know how to party down there, haha.

Last time in Argentina they went on stage 21:35 and the show ends 00:50. 22:30 is the curfew in US, right?

7 minutes ago, gd86arg said:

Take a look at 2010 South America's setlist lol (specially Argentina and Costa Rica) 

I refuse to believe those are real. Over 40 songs?!?!?!? I'd give away a kidney for that Costa Rica set list. I'd also probably pass out from exhaustion at a show like that. How many hours must that have been? 

1 minute ago, gaslight13 said:

I refuse to believe those are real. Over 40 songs?!?!?!? I'd give away a kidney for that Costa Rica set list. I'd also probably pass out from exhaustion at a show like that. How many hours must that have been? 

Maybe KFAD wasn’t 20 minutes long :lol:

8 minutes ago, gd86arg said:

Last time in Argentina they went on stage 21:35 and the show ends 00:50. 22:30 is the curfew in US, right?

It's not like an across the country thing. Pretty sure every city is different but curfews tend to make it hard for a band to play even as long as GD does.

1 minute ago, gaslight13 said:

I was lucky enough to be on stage and have some "rarities" (nice guys finish last, give me novacaine, burnout, coming clean, geek stink breath, stuck with me, jason andrew relva, maria, dominated love slave, going to pasalacqua, whatsername, blitzkrieg bop) for my first time :wub:

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Maybe KFAD wasn’t 20 minutes long :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHfk55bbWAY my shoot :P 

Just now, gd86arg said:

I was lucky enough to be on stage and have some "rarities" (nice guys finish last, give me novacaine, burnout, coming clean, geek stink breath, stuck with me, jason andrew relva, maria, dominated love slave, going to pasalacqua, whatsername, blitzkrieg bop) for my first time :wub:

That show was your first show? Yikes, isn't like every show since just disappointing? I would've been ruined for all future shows, haha.

Just now, gaslight13 said:

That show was your first show? Yikes, isn't like every show since just disappointing? I would've been ruined for all future shows, haha.

Yep, I was complaining last night because I saw GD in Hyde Park and Sheffield this year and in Rio they played the same setlist they are playing since march lol 

Thanks to the Green God they changed tonight :runaround::dance:

56 minutes ago, gd86arg said:

Yep, I was complaining last night because I saw GD in Hyde Park and Sheffield this year and in Rio they played the same setlist they are playing since march lol 

Thanks to the Green God they changed tonight :runaround::dance:

Oh yeah :cool:

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

People should be very happy with tonight’s setlist in Sao Paulo. Loads of bonus songs, the lucky buggers. 

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat happened?

Just now, SHART said:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat happened?

Standard setlist + JAR, Armatage Shanks, FOD, Scattered, Nice Guys Finish Last and Waiting

30 songs

Just now, gd86arg said:

Standard setlist + JAR, Armatage Shanks, FOD, Scattered, Nice Guys Finish Last and Waiting

Oh man congrats:) FOD (omfg)

2 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I'm still trying to process everything from tonight's show. I just can't believe I was lucky enough to hear them play Armatage Shanks, J.A.R., F.O.D, Scattered and Waiting all on the same night!

The show was insane from start to finish! I literally have no words to describe it!

Archived