New shows setlist discussion

Metadon

Alright, my dream show is to hear nimrod or AI in it's entire glory, front to back. But I doubt this will ever happen.

I am going to say this and leave it at this......Never say never (on either of those dreams, replace "or" with "and").

Let your little heads go crazy with that statement.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to say this and leave it at this......Never say never (on either of those dreams, replace "or" with "and").

Let your little heads go crazy with that statement.

I agree with this statement, even though I suspect you know something I don't and I'm just wishful thinking.  But I just saw the U2 Joshua Tree tour in Toronto a month or two ago and it was amazing.  Saw the original Joshua Tree tour 30 years ago as well.  I enjoyed both in their own right.  Lots of artists/bands with classic albums and longevity are jumping on this bandwagon and it's not a bad thing.  Nostalgia is good money these days.  Plus American Idiot is a classic album with staying power, critical approval and is pretty fucking on the money politically again these days.  And now you've got me dying for something I never knew I wanted and never thought I could have - damn you!

I agree with this statement, even though I suspect you know something I don't and I'm just wishful thinking.  But I just saw the U2 Joshua Tree tour in Toronto a month or two ago and it was amazing.  Saw the original Joshua Tree tour 30 years ago as well.  I enjoyed both in their own right.  Lots of artists/bands with classic albums and longevity are jumping on this bandwagon and it's not a bad thing.  Nostalgia is good money these days.  Plus American Idiot is a classic album with staying power, critical approval and is pretty fucking on the money politically again these days.  And now you've got me dying for something I never knew I wanted and never thought I could have - damn you!

I said replace "or" with "AND" :) but yeah, the Joshua Tree Tour was pretty amazing.  I went to two of em.  Pasadena and San Fran.  

I saw them for my third time in March in Green Bay. Awesome show as always, but I was really hoping for "Christie Road", "Troubled Times", and "Scattered" songs that were played this tour, but dropped from the setlist. At least the show I went to had "Waiting" and "Ordinary World", because it looks like those are both dropped now. This tour has been really disappointing in terms of setlists, not changing at all nightly and only changing slightly from leg to leg ( in this case for the worse from spring to summer).

They could change the setlist more, I don't buy that pyro is the reason they aren't changing the setlists. They don't even use pyro on every song. And their backdrops stay up for multiple songs each, they don't change them every song. I don't think they really want to risk it and change the setlists this tour. I don't hold all bands to that standard but compared to when I saw them for my second time on the trilogy tour and in terms of old songs I saw "Letterbomb", "Burnout", "Disappearing Boy",  "2000 Light Years Away", "Going To Pasalacqua", and "When I Come Around" all for the first time, I was slightly disappointed in the amount of old songs I hadn't seen (2: "Waiting" and "Knowledge") for my third Green Day show.

They're still one of the best live bands around, but I would have been happier with a setlist from the club leg of the tour, which for the show near me I was unable to secure tickets for.

One day babe - it's gonna fuckin happen 👹🙃

You got that shit right! 

I saw them for my third time in March in Green Bay. Awesome show as always, but I was really hoping for "Christie Road", "Troubled Times", and "Scattered" songs that were played this tour, but dropped from the setlist. At least the show I went to had "Waiting" and "Ordinary World", because it looks like those are both dropped now. This tour has been really disappointing in terms of setlists, not changing at all nightly and only changing slightly from leg to leg ( in this case for the worse from spring to summer).

They could change the setlist more, I don't buy that pyro is the reason they aren't changing the setlists. They don't even use pyro on every song. And their backdrops stay up for multiple songs each, they don't change them every song. I don't think they really want to risk it and change the setlists this tour. I don't hold all bands to that standard but compared to when I saw them for my second time on the trilogy tour and in terms of old songs I saw "Letterbomb", "Burnout", "Disappearing Boy",  "2000 Light Years Away", "Going To Pasalacqua", and "When I Come Around" all for the first time, I was slightly disappointed in the amount of old songs I hadn't seen (2: "Waiting" and "Knowledge") for my third Green Day show.

They're still one of the best live bands around, but I would have been happier with a setlist from the club leg of the tour, which for the show near me I was unable to secure tickets for.

It is not because of pyro that they don't charge the songs.

Stop the insanity on this notion. I will tell you FOR A FACT that it is not the reason. They barely have a pyro show. Trust me on this one guys.

No fuck that. You are right and right and right.

i would tell any one of them right to their face. They are losing money. They are losing fans. They are losing ticket sales. If they were even mixing it up JUST A LITTLE they would be getting more tix and higher prices and every show stadium or arena would be a quick sell out.

Ive never seen a more self inflicted wound then their fucking setlists. Pyro? Phish has such an amazing light show that their fans know their light techs name. They call him K5 Chris Kadura (as in Kadura the 5th member of the band, their lighting tech!!!) and he knows every bit of every song and they improvise not just the set lists but the songs and he doesn't miss a beat or an explosion and the Phish light show makes Green Day's look like a fucking joke.

Thats fan love and Green Day fans would be more rabid if they were fed the meat like Phish Phans. We are left with the same show ever night on every tour and it's getting worse, not better. I feel like I've been waiting my whole life for them to figure out what is obvious to everyone but there are just a couple stone cold "I know what the fuck I want to do" and hey, they can but so can I and I can tell you for sure, I am not gonna make going to shows like a gig. If they don't mix it up next season, I'm done.  I see different bands all the time and I know there are none better, but being the best will take you far and I've reached the end of that road.  I know the shows are gonna be great and that's the problem. I mean Phish, Special Sauce, Moe, Pearl Jam et al all play different setlists every night and they still rock the fuck out. Are they not capable?

Do this, go look at the setlists for Phish at their 13 sold out "Bakers Dozen" residency happening right now at MSG and tell me how those set lists compare. Every fucking set, every encore is a surprise and they have 35 years to pull from and so does Green Day but I bet they haven't played a show in 30 years in front of more than 1000 people without playing Longview and Basket Case. Play them every time but mix the shit up. 21G, GR, 21G, GR. 21, GR, 21G, GR (the last encores of the last shows they've played here in the US). 

Yeah, I hope management is listening. JD, if your looking at this, I'm saying it. It is time. Put down the boot and make this last. This is a fucking hit album. They are in the god damn HOF. Nobody rocks better or performs better. Don't let the dream of what could be slip away because of neuroses.

Im sorry, I'm just getting pissed. I love them and that's why I feel this way. I should shut up but fuck an A. You want to start a revolution? How about revolving a few songs. Fuck, even play only hits but mix it up.

They could play wholly different shows every night and play nothing but charters but this is fucking bull shit. I need to get stoned. 

Yes. You said what I was feeling. As you can tell, I like to hedge my commentary with "I'm still incredibly grateful for the lifetime of  enjoyment and for enlightening me to unbelievable music and performances" since I can never speak poorly about these guys in a public forum- they've been so good to me in every way- but yes, I agree with you 100%. The frustrating part as you know isn't even us doing the standard entitled fan griping shit (yeah, why don't they play my song ever) but it's more of a brotherly thing:

- I know you can do better, I've even seen it recently (NY in the fall, what a set)

- Yet you take the safe and stale route every single night

- You're still in the prime of your life, at some point this will all end- carpe diem, show us what you can do!

It's like a brotherly/ parental type thing- spread your wings dammit and show the world how fucking good you are. You're one of the best fucking bands on the planet. Some of us have seen it in action, it's sick. And this comes from those of us who know a thing about shows and have seen the best of the best (LaughingClock, for example). Now show the world what you're capable of. You're that good. 

Well they must have a reason. They have to be aware of their options and are choosing to keep the show the same. What do you suppose those reasons are from the band's perspective? What are the arguments in favor of not changing it up?

Well they must have a reason. They have to be aware of their options and are choosing to keep the show the same. What do you suppose those reasons are from the band's perspective? What are the arguments in favor of not changing it up?

Of course they have a reason. They're choosing to cater to the more casual fans for the arena/stadium shows. Billie loves audience reaction and of course the hits get a more raucous audience reaction. I understand playing a lot of hits, but I like a balance too. I had no problems with the setlists of the majority of the club shows. I think it's wrong to just assume to only play a handful of deep cuts at the club shows because that's where the hardcore fans are. The truth is that it was so hard to get tickets to the club show due to scalpers and venue size difference that a lot of hardcore fans didn't even get to attend those shows. I'll see them at least once per album cycle no matter what, but I can't say it would have been incredibly different to see them more than once on this tour.

I think there just tired enough after the 26 they have now per show, and too add any even though it's fun just adds to the workload, which as of late they clearly do not feel the want to do. Lame as that can be. Dropping the couple deep cuts that were in the set was just a slap in the face. Always be ticked I was at the first show to not get Scattered when it was already hard to come to terms with them dropping Christie Road. Chopping it down slowly has been painful for us but by saving the 10-15 minutes on stage it is clearly helping them. utterly painful...Armatage Shanks and Burnout are like 2 mins and a bit.

I think there just tired enough after the 26 they have now per show, and too add any even though it's fun just adds to the workload, which as of late they clearly do not feel the want to do. Lame as that can be. Dropping the couple deep cuts that were in the set was just a slap in the face. Always be ticked I was at the first show to not get Scattered when it was already hard to come to terms with them dropping Christie Road. Chopping it down slowly has been painful for us but by saving the 10-15 minutes on stage it is clearly helping them. utterly painful...Armatage Shanks and Burnout are like 2 mins and a bit.

I agree. I understand not wanting to perform extra songs than they are. But for example, they could drop "Minority" (which they did drop for most of the club tour) and the Shout medley and that would free up approximately 15 minutes that they could utilize for a few deep cuts.

It doesn't seem like them to stick with a formula. 

When it comes to setlists it is like them though :lol:. They've pretty much always stuck to almost the same setlist on a tour since at least Dookie times to some extent even before that. I don't know if it's just that people are much more aware of all the setlists and compare them now but however much people complain it's still always how they've done it :P 

I'm honestly never going to understand the miserable attitude towards KFAD. Imagine, you've paid to be there and the show's only a couple of hours and you'd rather go to get a drink or to the toilet than watch GD being silly and sassy and having fun and joining in with a singalong for a bit - it's unfathomable to me :lol:. Before KFAD show after show they used to make Paper Lanterns (one 2:25 long song) over 10 minutes long just playing the same baseline over and over with Billie doing such amazingly entertaining things as playing random chords, doing hey ohs, splashing some water out of a bottle and standing around. And I can't remember ever hearing anyone criticise it. Now they spend the same amount of time playing two full songs plus multiple snippets of covers with the whole band constantly doing fun/entertaining things and involving the crowd. How exactly is that worse???

When it comes to setlists it is like them though :lol:. They've pretty much always stuck to almost the same setlist on a tour since at least Dookie times to some extent even before that. I don't know if it's just that people are much more aware of all the setlists and compare them now but however much people complain it's still always how they've done it :P 

I'm honestly never going to understand the miserable attitude towards KFAD. Imagine, you've paid to be there and the show's only a couple of hours and you'd rather go to get a drink or to the toilet than watch GD being silly and sassy and having fun and joining in with a singalong for a bit - it's unfathomable to me :lol:. Before KFAD show after show they used to make Paper Lanterns (one 2:25 long song) over 10 minutes long just playing the same baseline over and over with Billie doing such amazingly entertaining things as playing random chords, doing hey ohs, splashing some water out of a bottle and standing around. And I can't remember ever hearing anyone criticise it. Now they spend the same amount of time playing two full songs plus multiple snippets of covers with the whole band constantly doing fun/entertaining things and involving the crowd. How exactly is that worse???

Oh i know about the setlist - trust me :lol: I was more comparing it to their albums and their career in general.

i wouldn't have even thought of going to the loo at any point during a GD show but when I felt lightheaded at Leeds and was stood at the back I did wait for the Shout medley to kick in before I went to get some water :lol: 

Only time I even sit at all is when he starts laying down on his stomach and back, then it's like, ok it's cool to sit for a bit.

It's Billie and what he wants. It's his call and he thinks he is doing what the people want and it's sometimes hard to argue the point as right as we think we all are. It's Billie and that's the reason.

I don't mind the same setlists. I've been going to shows since 93-94 and love them every single time and I love KFAD.  But when you are eating a delicious piece of chicken for 20 years and you know there is a filet in fridge, sometimes you wonder "yo, you know you have a filet in there?".

Im a vegetarian but you get the picture. You're right though.

Yes. You said what I was feeling. As you can tell, I like to hedge my commentary with "I'm still incredibly grateful for the lifetime of  enjoyment and for enlightening me to unbelievable music and performances" since I can never speak poorly about these guys in a public forum- they've been so good to me in every way- but yes, I agree with you 100%. The frustrating part as you know isn't even us doing the standard entitled fan griping shit (yeah, why don't they play my song ever) but it's more of a brotherly thing:

- I know you can do better, I've even seen it recently (NY in the fall, what a set)

- Yet you take the safe and stale route every single night

- You're still in the prime of your life, at some point this will all end- carpe diem, show us what you can do!

It's like a brotherly/ parental type thing- spread your wings dammit and show the world how fucking good you are. You're one of the best fucking bands on the planet. Some of us have seen it in action, it's sick. And this comes from those of us who know a thing about shows and have seen the best of the best (LaughingClock, for example). Now show the world what you're capable of. You're that good. 

Fucking beautiful!

It's Billie and what he wants. It's his call and he thinks he is doing what the people want and it's sometimes hard to argue the point as right as we think we all are. It's Billie and that's the reason.

I don't buy that this is all coming from Billie.  Someone posted in the show thread that they saw him onstage ask Mike if he wanted to play Too Dumb To Die and Mike shook his head no.  I think he defers to Mike and Tre more than you think so this could be a band decision that they don't all agree with. 

I don't buy that this is all coming from Billie.  Someone posted in the show thread that they saw him onstage ask Mike if he wanted to play Too Dumb To Die and Mike shook his head no.  I think he defers to Mike and Tre more than you think so this could be a band decision that they don't all agree with. 

There is definitely an element of the band within the already planned structure (Tre would play everything) but you can "not buy" all you want but if Billie makes the choices. Even in the example you gave even if Mike said no on an audible (which they have at every show) but have not even been playing the audibles lately.

But your example only shows one moment in time for an audible for maybe a song that Mike doesn't like. Anyway, Billie made the decision but still you can just trust me on this. You're point is not lost but at the end of the day the band does as Billie does. 

It always entertaining to me when people think they have any idea about the inner workings of this band. I will say this though, no healthy band is deferring to another member and letting them call all of the shots. Bands don't work like that. 

And in response to whoever said the thing about Green Day stretching out Paper Lanterns back in the day and no one complained about it...

a) They've been doing this shtick with King For A Day for 20 years. Literally 20 years. 

b) Paper Lanterns existed (mostly full time) in the set for less than 10 years. 

c) Paper Lanterns is a better song. 

They've only been doing it similarly to the way they do it now since around 2004. Don't really see how 10/15/20 years makes a difference though, it's still a long time.

And they've changed it up adding stuff and varying things during that time too. Can the same be said for any other song they perform? They play every other song in pretty much the same way every time year after year too (either just playing it through or doing the same traditions/antics). Why is King For A Day singled out as being "the same thing every time for too long", when they've actually changed up the performance quite a lot over the years (different costumes, different things said, different band members singing, different antics, different covers etc) and they've played every other long standing song (eg Basket Case or Knowledge or JOS) exactly the same?

As for it being a better song that's subjective, but my point was about the stretched out part of the performance not the song. How is 10 minutes of the same bassline played over and over and Billie standing around and doing some random chords and hey ohs etc any better than what they do during KFAD now? I personally enjoy both but I don't know why only one is criticised. 

I've seen the band quite a bit over the years. In 1998, King For A Day was stretched out to include Billie Joe stripping down to a thong. They added the Shout / Cover Section bit around 2002. So yeah, it's been literally the same exact thing for a long, long time now. 

I remember specifically throughout the 90's, Paper Lanterns would have a break in the middle and they would do the hokey covers just as they've always done, and are still doing with King  For A Day. 

I assume the biggest complaint here is that they could play more songs in the 15 minutes it takes for them to do the joke bullshit of KFAD. It doesn't matter which song it is really, because it was just as annoying when they would waste time with Paper Lanterns as well. KFAD is being "singled out" because it is literally the song they have been doing this with for so long. Back before everyone was able to complain on the internet about these things, we complained to each other about Paper Lanterns. It's something stupid they do, and they need to retire it.

The point is, they do this to kill time. And it's very, very annoying. 

Stripping to a thong isn't literally the same exact thing :P. But if you say you dislike both I can't really argue that point! Other than you not happening to enjoy the song/performance I don't know why they need to retire it though? It's part of their style as performers to do more than just play songs through and include some time for messing around/silliness other antics as well and as they're known as one of the most entertaining live bands around it seems to work for them. I couldn't see it as just killing time as they're totally engaged, laughing with each other and performing for and involving the crowd at all times during it. There's more to their shows than just packing in as many songs as possible and the total number of songs they play is the last thing on my mind when I go to see them. 

KFAD also gives Billie a break, a chance to lie on the floor and rant about whatever's on his mind. Considering how much he runs and jumps around up to that point, it's his one rest period. Some bands do extended drum solos (Tre just does a short one). Having just come from the show last night, my opinion about the setlist has changed. The audience was so into every moment and we had a lot of fun with KFAD even if many of us had seen it before. It's different when you're there.

I think KFAD has to stay in the setlist. Like @pacejunkie punk said, it gives Billie a break - he's getting older and it's good for him to have a chance to just calm down and relax in the middle of the show.

Also, I see it as the part of the show where he can really have fun. It must be hard for him to sing such personal songs (such as Still Breathing) every day, and perform them so well, so when it gets to KFAD he can just enjoy himself and have a laugh - it's just him and his best friends messing about on stage and being silly.

They could maybe shorten the medley though. I'm aware that KFAD + Shout + Medley + Billie's speeches + whatever the hell else they do takes up a lot of time. Even if they just made the whole shenanigans a few minutes shorter, they could squeeze in 1 or 2 extra songs.

I think KFAD has to stay in the setlist. Like @pacejunkie punk said, it gives Billie a break - he's getting older and it's good for him to have a chance to just calm down and relax in the middle of the show.

Forget Billie, it gives me a break too :lol:

And it gives me Freese time :wub:

Forget Billie, it gives me a break too :lol:

And it gives me Freese time :wub:

Exactly :lol:, I'm knackered by that point so a slower pace just watching the antics and doing some singing along for a few minutes is fine by me.

And another good point! Only good bit of Freese I got at my show this year was when he joined Billie on the catwalk during KFAD, the sax/kazoo battle and "da da da-ing" along to Careless Whisper was very amusing and among the highlights of the show.

Lately Billie's been doing great speeches during it too. So much good stuff goes on. And as I've mentioned before just the simple fact that they have a whole arena singing along to a song about cross dressing/celebrating being different is worth playing it for alone. I'll never run out of reasons to praise it :D 

Exactly :lol:, I'm knackered by that point so a slower pace just watching the antics and doing some singing along for a few minutes is fine by me.

And another good point! Only good bit of Freese I got at my show this year was when he joined Billie on the catwalk during KFAD, the sax/kazoo battle and "da da da-ing" along to Careless Whisper was very amusing and among the highlights of the show.

Lately Billie's been doing great speeches during it too. So much good stuff goes on. And as I've mentioned before just the simple fact that they have a whole arena singing along to a song about cross dressing/celebrating being different is worth playing it for alone. I'll never run out of reasons to praise it :D 

Really? I for one doesn't like the part where Billie and Jason F doing catwalk it too long and Jason doing same cover song on his Sax is just too annoying and Billie speech I know( I willl hurt for this) BUT he needed to cut it short again? I get it that he hated Trumps as mush as I do and anyone else in world..It not doing any good to shout and compliant, he need to make it worked!✊

On the subject of time-killers, does anyone remember Story Time With Green Day? That was a great chill moment that preceded Before The Lobotomy. It was so fun to go to each concert thread and find out which story someone got. And, for the most part, I think they tried to do different ones each time. Mine was...someone getting tattooed maybe? I'd have to go back and look.

I liked what Billie did at our KFAD. He was like "This has been one hell of a week" and the way he said it was funny. It was just a nice moment of like...yeah, let's acknowledge that we've been dealing with some madness.

Archived