New shows setlist discussion

Metadon

56 minutes ago, Alf said:

It's really that hard to understand that I'm just suggesting some improvement to their set? 90% of the 28 songs they are playing every night are among the my favorites GD songs, it's a spetacular set, but I'm just trying to say that it could be a lot better with the elemento of surprise.

And no, I will not miss the opportunity to see them live, that's not the point in disucssion

Is it so hard for you to understand that not everyone agrees with you?  That is the problem I had with your posts.  IT isn't because you think they can change the setlist, it is because you are assuming thta everyone feels the same way you do. You have made statements such as the above, "Is it really hard to understand that I'm suggesting an improvement to their set?" and something along the lines of "Every fan knows they can change the setlist" and "we all know that they can do it"  No, we don't all know so don't make blanket statements that we can.

Before I saw them in concert I thought it would be hard for them to change the setlist up.  After seeing them in concert I know it will be hard.  A GD show is not just a concert, it is a spectacle.  It is like the super bowl halftime show x 12.  That requires incredible coordination between lighting, sound, effects, etc.  It really isn't easy to improvise.  Could they change a song or two, sure with some rehearsal.  But overall I do not see how they can make vast changes every night and putting on the type of show they are doing.

Plus, the way I look at it is that GD is playing for almost an hour more than most other similar bands.  I'm happy for that.  Plus, the band needs to feel comfortable on stage, particularly Billie.  And if he feels that he needs some standarization to give the performance he does, then that is what they do.  I don't feel anyone else can judge what makes another performer comfortable.  He is one of the best in the business, so what he does works for him.

I would be interested to hear what your feelings are after seeing them live.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I would like one or two songs changing in the setlist to keep things unpredictable BUT at the same time, I feel like I don't know shit about their "job" and should trust their judgement. In addition - I might be a bit emotional about this - I really think it's important they play those songs live that they love playing. I wanna see them passionate about their show and feel the songs they perform. They are artists not some service provider for the paying customer. 

Really we can discuss all we want and have opinions (and that's ok) but they don't owe us anything and they're gonna play whatever the fuck they want anyway, so.

1 hour ago, Scattered Wreck said:

Is it so hard for you to understand that not everyone agrees with you?  That is the problem I had with your posts.  IT isn't because you think they can change the setlist, it is because you are assuming thta everyone feels the same way you do. You have made statements such as the above, "Is it really hard to understand that I'm suggesting an improvement to their set?" and something along the lines of "Every fan knows they can change the setlist" and "we all know that they can do it"  No, we don't all know so don't make blanket statements that we can.

Before I saw them in concert I thought it would be hard for them to change the setlist up.  After seeing them in concert I know it will be hard.  A GD show is not just a concert, it is a spectacle.  It is like the super bowl halftime show x 12.  That requires incredible coordination between lighting, sound, effects, etc.  It really isn't easy to improvise.  Could they change a song or two, sure with some rehearsal.  But overall I do not see how they can make vast changes every night and putting on the type of show they are doing.

Plus, the way I look at it is that GD is playing for almost an hour more than most other similar bands.  I'm happy for that.  Plus, the band needs to feel comfortable on stage, particularly Billie.  And if he feels that he needs some standarization to give the performance he does, then that is what they do.  I don't feel anyone else can judge what makes another performer comfortable.  He is one of the best in the business, so what he does works for him.

I'm just stating my opinion the way you are stating yours.

I've already saw them live and I am following them for sufficient time to know the show they do is unbelievable.

and, forgive me, but take a look on their discography, there are so many great songs being neglected by them, so many great songs not being played, everyone with two ears can tell that they could do more with that awesome catalogue (and saying this I'm not saying that the show is bad, the band is bad, the songs they are playing are bad... just saying that play the same stuff every night is not a challenge... and for a band that on each record try to step new grounds and says that don't want to stay on the confort zone, this is kinda contradiction)

and, if the set they are doing every night was so perfect, shows like the Rough Trade one wouldn't be the one that the fans remember and talk about the most

Okay, but Rough Trade literally holds about 250 people, whereas arenas generally hold between 10K and 20K, not to mention that a good portion of those 250 people arrived before 8am the day of the show. I'm not sure many casual fans would line up overnight (Also, I don't really see many conversations regarding that show?? Sure, we were all excited as it happened and some time after, but it's not always being brought up.)

Here is a quote from someone on reddit that posted under the 'Nuclear Family' video:

I went with a buddy who only knows the Green Day radio hits. When they started into this song, I was so excited that we were getting a Trilogy song, I turned to him and tried to explain over all the noise that we were getting a treat. He shrugged and kept watching the show, lol.

Even the Trilogy, which, whilst not all that popular amongst many, still garnered attention because it was around the time Billie went to rehab (heck, Uno was released before all of that went down), doesn't really resonate with every casual listener. 

I hope the band perceives it as something good, because a small switch up every other show or so (like they did here) already pleases me! 

I also understand a Green Day show is a spectacle, so the songs that require specific lighting and pyros can't just simply be changed (so KYE, Bang Bang, Rev Rad, Hitchin' A Ride, St. Jimmy, Still Breathing, Forever Now and Still Breathing) which in this case, is 8 songs. 

However, the 2009/2010 shows had much more complicated effects (lighting, pyro, video screen, several different kinds of flames etc.), but they also changed the setlist up a bit each night (especially in last legs in 2010). 

The important thing is, they kept the overall structure the same, but changed up the old songs in the middle a bit and sometimes even the encore. This could be done here as well, it doesn't have to be much, it can only be one song or a part of a song.

But, playing the exact same setlist every goddamn show, obviously wouldn't be down coordination problems. 

Again, what they can do, is change it up a tiny bit in the middle part (like they did this time by playing Nuclear Family) and then if they're feeling really good that day, change up the encore a bit as well (by adding one song, such as: Redundant, Whatshername, Wake Me Up When September ends, When It's Time, etc.). 

But anyway, I went and checked the set lists of 2010, the overall structure stayed the same, but they changed it up a tiny bit each night. 

3 hours ago, Scattered Wreck said:

If they're that much of a spectacle live they shouldn't need they pyro etc anyway so changing up the setlist isn't a big deal. No ones criticising the band it's just that most bands vary their setlists and it would be nice for Green Day to 

6 hours ago, JoeFrusciante said:

If they're that much of a spectacle live they shouldn't need they pyro etc anyway so changing up the setlist isn't a big deal. No ones criticising the band it's just that most bands vary their setlists and it would be nice for Green Day to 

Green Day are better live than most bands though. Changing up setlists a lot is one way to approach shows and to be impressive but it isn't the only way or (as seems to be believed by a lot of people here) necessarily the ultimate, best way that should be prioritised over everything else. Seems their chosen approach is to put together what they think is the best/most entertaining setlist, to create a show, and keep putting on that show for each audience. I totally get liking the idea of setlists being changed up and that it's fun to discuss what songs you'd enjoy seeing added etc but it's not the only aspect of a show that they think about or put effort into, I think it's an artistic choice they've made rather than a lack of effort or some kind of failure.

14 hours ago, JoeFrusciante said:

i don't mean change it mid set I mean when writing the setlist to give to the tech crew or whatever you have a different song

I think they have been photocopying the setlist in bulk to save time & money:happy:

Green Day if you are reading this please just a change up second night in Sydney and Melbourne that's all I ask - you can even keep KFAD:ga:

5 hours ago, JoeFrusciante said:

Most bands actually don't vary their setlists at all, even the slight variations that GD setlists have are better than most.  Not saying I wouldn't love more variety (I most definitely would, even if it's only 2 or 3 songs which change), just that Green Day aren't actually bad when compared to most bands.

9 hours ago, herewegoagain said:

Really we can discuss all we want and have opinions (and that's ok) but they don't owe us anything and they're gonna play whatever the fuck they want anyway, so.

Ahh, I like this very much.

Well they played nuclear family...it certainly is new...

Anyway id have expected them to play outlaws at some point...they kept saying how much they loved the song...yet it disappeared... :(

I dont really get it...its okay to keep the new songs from revrad as standards...but i dont see how having like 1 or 2 random songs each show would hurt...

I was screaming my head off during that Trilogy revival last night!! It seemed to be the only song where the floor and most of the crowd stood still though. Having said that, a lot of them didn't know Burnout that well either which is lame.

6 hours ago, St. Jonny said:

I was screaming my head off during that Trilogy revival last night!! It seemed to be the only song where the floor and most of the crowd stood still though. Having said that, a lot of them didn't know Burnout that well either which is lame.

This just says it all to me. Of course every crowd is different but if even Burnout gets a mediocre response they're not going to think that more deep cuts is the way to go to put on the best possible show for the most people. Happy (i.e. jealous) for you that you got NF though!!

Anyway the most pressing matter regarding setlists is who keeps misspelling HitchEn a Ride, can't find a picture atm but it's popped up so many times and it burns my eyessss

Well, Montreal was actually on fire for Burnout but not NF. London, was NOT wild enough for 2000LYA and Burnout, I was like come on, they definitely won't play older shit when they ask who are the "REAL" old school fans and everybody lies and goes wild but then stands still for the one Kerplunk track. I was like, jesus people, it's 2000 Light Years Away!!

I'm glad that they played Nuclear Family! I'd like to believe that this means the setlist will only get better!

It's still weird they randomly play a trilogy song ; what about something from the new album . I love all the staples but at least 2 more from revrad is needed after all it's called the revolution radio world tour not the greatest hits farewell tour haha .

On 3/23/2017 at 9:45 AM, Paola17 said:

Okay, but Rough Trade literally holds about 250 people, whereas arenas generally hold between 10K and 20K, not to mention that a good portion of those 250 people arrived before 8am the day of the show. I'm not sure many casual fans would line up overnight (Also, I don't really see many conversations regarding that show?? Sure, we were all excited as it happened and some time after, but it's not always being brought up.)

Not sure if conversations regarding Rough Trade still come up either, but I was one of the lucky ones to attend that show.  I've seen Green Day live numerous time since '94, and by far Rough Trade was the best Green Day show I ever attended - despite the show being shorter than an hour in length.  I was fortunate enough to hear songs live that they never play in concert, and probably won't again for a long time.

It's all personal preference I guess - I'm on the side that loves to hear old material that rarely gets played - or hearing songs I've never heard live before.  Others are content with the way the setlist is currently arranged.  I personally don't see the issue in playing 1-2 random songs each night that are different from the standard setlist.  They've done it on every single tour in their career except for this one (although we are starting to see slight variation).  Green Day is probably of the mindset that playing the same songs each night and having their material down to a "T" will guarantee the most satisfying show and will please more of the masses, but I don't see how swapping 1-2 songs each night will effect that.  I just don't get the argument of keeping the setlist identical each night, especially for a band like Green Day that are veterans of the industry and have a catalog so rich in material.    

27 minutes ago, NOVAGD said:

I personally don't see the issue in playing 1-2 random songs each night that are different from the standard setlist.  They've done it on every single tour in their career except for this one (although we are starting to see slight variation).   

Yes, but Billie was a heavy drinker and probably on pills on every tour except for this one. We're definitely not the ones to judge his mental health, but if he (maybe) feels a stronger need for stability  regarding the setlist especially on this tour, it would be more than understandable. And I'd rather have them happy and healthy with a static setlist than not having them at all, which could have easily happened if they hadn't slowed things down a bit. Fact is that those guys give 150%+ on stage every night and are SO into it. We can be more than satisfied. 

Personally, I do want them to change up the setlist because if anything could improve their show even further, it would be the surprise element, but it's no big deal, as @MMwhatsername said, if this is what they prefer now, it's ok. They are absolutely fantastic. Maybe repetitiveness is what it costs, maybe they have a different reason. 

2 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

Personally, I do want them to change up the setlist because if anything could improve their show even further, it would be the surprise element, but it's no big deal, as @MMwhatsername said, if this is what they prefer now, it's ok. They are absolutely fantastic. Maybe repetitiveness is what it costs, maybe they have a different reason. 

Just dropped off my favourites list😝😉

5 hours ago, crock6000 said:

I usually barge with you Hermione and I don't disagree with you here. The argument of "they must be doing something right" is a roadblock for any discussion of improvement for any group, artist or anything where success is always at hand.

But by most bands standards the Trill was a successful album. You very well may be right and I was happy during the NA Club leg that they were mixing things up and they do track things to know how many people show up at shows following ones where they dive into rarities but it takes time for super fans to start following (like Phish) to get the super fans to follow to follow and they would if they got different lists at each show.

I was stoked as hell to hear Anatage, Stuart, and Ale and then when they broke it out a coupons more times, I thought we might be in for a different type of tour but I was wrong.

Yes, they always do an amazing show but they would shift the crowed type and get more "followers"' if they switched to non hits but Billie likes to be comfortable and he's a crowd pleaser. 

He could keep doing what he's doing and make it better I think but maybe I'm wrong. I was wrong once, they crucified me.

Seriously though, Billie doesn't like to deviate and if he did, it would be the best traveling band in the world. As it stands, Phish is and that's because every show has its own personaliry, based on the crowd and the band.

Still they could sing Happy Birthday every song and it would be better than most shows.

I love the reference to Phish here- about 15 yeas ago when I started getting into their music I was blown away by the changing setlists. I honestly thought it wasn't possibly because up to that point Green Day was all I knew, and their setlists were pretty much the same every night even back then. And just so I'm giving credit where it's due- Green Day opened me to the amazing world of rock, and is part of the reason why I got into Phish to begin with.

With that said, having spent time with Green Day last week (unbelievable experience), the last complaint I can possibly make is about the setlist. I saw them at Webster, etc. last year when they played a lot of deep cuts (Private Ale, Stuart, Nice Guys, 409, Brat, etc.) . It was sick, one of the best shows I've ever seen. Then I finally had a chance to meet them properly during this stadium tour and the last thing on my mind was potentially bitching about the setlists. Hell, they played KYE and KFAD during soundcheck and I couldn't have been more thrilled. I know how well it translates to an arena crowd, and even seeing it during soundcheck was amazing. For a long time I've complained about the setlist variety, but when we saw soundcheck and then when I was fortunate enough to chat with Billie it was the last thing on my mind. He knows what the band is doing, and I respect that. It would be like me telling my dentist how to do her job when she's filling a cavity.

PS- as previously experienced and as expected Mike is an A+ human being, and Tre is such a caricature, even backstage. I didn't see him leave "character" for a second. Tre being Tre.

Yeah, I want them to play Brain Stew, especially since they've got the flames again this time round. 

18 minutes ago, MilleniumFan said:

Yeah, I want them to play Brain Stew, especially since they've got the flames again this time round. 

I want them to play Brain Stew because I want to hear Jaded and the metal covers :lol:

Also, flames are beautiful.

Archived