New shows setlist discussion

Metadon

2 minutes ago, Dakke said:

Oh yes. I'm gonna bring an old stained sheet and write 'Outlaws' on it as huge as it can fucking be :D

I might also bring one for Longview, just for the unlikely chance to be brought onstage ;)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I usually refrain from posting setlist wishes because if I had my way Green Day would be on stage for over 5 hours.  I love too many songs from every album and every time I try to create my own setlist I just get carried away.  However, RevRad has made me more excited for a live show than I have been for many years, so here is my semi realistic setlist (trying to keep the show a crowd pleaser and not having an excessive amount of songs):

Bang Bang

Revolution Radio

Say Goodbye

East Jesus Nowhere

Holiday

Let Yourself Go

Welcome To Paradise

Hitchin a Ride

Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Castaway

Worry Rock

Know Your Enemy

Geek Stink Breath

Burnout

Longview

Letterbomb

Wake Me Up When September Ends

Christie Road

Stuck With Me

Troubled Times

Stray Heart

Basket Case

She

Minority

Still Breathing

21 Guns

When I Come Around

Forever Now

Encore:

99 Revolutions

American Idiot

Jesus of Suburbia

Ordinary World

Good Riddance

I've seen Green Day 11 times now from American Idiot to the Trilogy, and have already seen most of my favourite songs so I'm not greedy 😁

I've already been treated to quite a few rarities, my main wish now is to see more of Warning.  It's such an underrated album and was my favourite for a long time but I've seen less songs from this album than any of their other albums. Any of Castaway, Deadbeat Holiday, Misery.  And obviously as much as RevRad as they can 😛

I know that a lot of people here are a bit disappointed with this new setlist. In fact we've said several times that Bang Bang would be a better opener compared to Know Your Enemy, because it's new, fast and involving. Actually, I found Know Your Enemy perfect too: it immediatly started a fire inside me, I was so hyped. Also, it was followed by Bang Bang, so after just two song you could feel in the middle of the concert. Youngblood felt just so fresh (and it's one of my least favorite songs on RevRad). Scattered/Minority and Basket Case/She were fantastic, perfectly put in the setlist. But, according to my musical taste, the best decision GD took is the ending: Still Breathing/Forever Now. High level of emotions and epic closing with pyro and bangs, followed by the usual encores.

What I really want to say it's no matter which songs they play, in which order they do it. They're Green Day, and it will be always perfect. :)

On 1/16/2017 at 1:34 PM, M0n3y said:

Italy got Nice Guys Finish Last and 2000 Lightyears Away. Here goes hoping! :dance:

I'm hoping on Private Ale, but it's a lottery at this point regarding the Kerplunk/Insomniac/Nimrod.

47 minutes ago, Dakke said:

I'm hoping on Private Ale, but it's a lottery at this point regarding the Kerplunk/Insomniac/Nimrod.

I still hope they play Paper Lanterns again and make it a standard song again, like Basket Case now is. They played it so much years ago...

3 hours ago, Dakke said:

Insomniac is getting left out a lot.  They are doing amazing shows as always, but that album, along with 1039 and Trilogy get NO love.  They've been playing 1 or 2 Kerplunk tracks at most shows, so there's that.   And the poor Trilogy.  I feel like they could at least play "Oh Love" once in a while.   

I think what a lot of people have to remember is that the average fan at a concert will most likely only know 'the hits', will not have seen them dozens of times, or be a member of a forum devoted to the band :P I know we all want a set list filled with the deepest cuts but it's just not feasible. 

I'm taking my mum to her first GD concert (she's been a fan since Dookie) in the summer and I know as long as they play Basket Case she won't give a shit about any of the other songs!

I on the other hand won't mind a few rarities, of course who wouldn't. I would die if I got to hear Stuart and the Ave or Deadbeat holiday! I also like the traditions in a way though? I dunno. One thing I will say is I miss when they personalised the KFAD covers to each city they played in sometimes. 

Eveb though the set lists look samey on paper I think it'll be like seeing them all over again for the first time. I've seen them in 09 and again in 13, seeing them in London and Glasgow this summer.

Personally I'm just happy that they're still out there and touring after the train wreck of the trilogy era tbh.

I totally agree with bouncingoffthewall, they should do Welcome To Paradise as an opener. Then Bang Bang. That would be pretty great.

Kerplunk  25th setlist

Bang bang

Revolution Radio 

Holiday

Know your enemy 

Letterbomb

Boulevard of Broken Dreams 

Kerplunk album

Youngblood 

Hitchin a Ride 

When I Come Around 

Are we the waiting 

St jimmy 

Longview 

Basket Case 

She

King for a day  

Still breathing 

Forever now 

Encore

American idiot

Jesus of suburbia 

Minority 

Ordinary world

Good Riddance 

Would be cool if they did just a couple new songs, then Kerplunk, and then a few more essentials at the end! Totally doable, but probably just a cream dream! :dry:

17 hours ago, Backyard Skulls said:

I think what a lot of people have to remember is that the average fan at a concert will most likely only know 'the hits', will not have seen them dozens of times, or be a member of a forum devoted to the band :P I know we all want a set list filled with the deepest cuts but it's just not feasible. 

I'm taking my mum to her first GD concert (she's been a fan since Dookie) in the summer and I know as long as they play Basket Case she won't give a shit about any of the other songs!

I on the other hand won't mind a few rarities, of course who wouldn't. I would die if I got to hear Stuart and the Ave or Deadbeat holiday! I also like the traditions in a way though? I dunno. One thing I will say is I miss when they personalised the KFAD covers to each city they played in sometimes. 

Eveb though the set lists look samey on paper I think it'll be like seeing them all over again for the first time. I've seen them in 09 and again in 13, seeing them in London and Glasgow this summer.

Personally I'm just happy that they're still out there and touring after the train wreck of the trilogy era tbh.

This is true, but I do think they underestimate how many less well known songs they could play and still have everyone into it. It also isn't necessary to play 7 songs from American Idiot (half of which aren't even hits) every night. I think they do it because they value the crowd reaction over everything and probably just like playing songs from that album, but I think they could be a little bit braver and still achieve a great show with great crowd interaction. I love seeing the well known songs that have fun traditions that go with them etc, but there's no reason why they couldn't switch up some of the less well known of the well known ones that don't have traditions attached and aren't integral to the show. 

But saying that I'd still rather see a totally standard setlist with no deviation than them just rip through random songs without all the extra fun stuff and things to look forward to that come with the structured show they've evolved over the years, for the most part I'm a fan of it.

42 minutes ago, Hermione said:

This is true, but I do think they underestimate how many less well known songs they could play and still have everyone into it. It also isn't necessary to play 7 songs from American Idiot (half of which aren't even hits) every night. I think they do it because they value the crowd reaction over everything and probably just like playing songs from that album, but I think they could be a little bit braver and still achieve a great show with great crowd interaction. I love seeing the well known songs that have fun traditions that go with them etc, but there's no reason why they couldn't switch up some of the less well known of the well known ones that don't have traditions attached and aren't integral to the show. 

But saying that I'd still rather see a totally standard setlist with no deviation than them just rip through random songs without all the extra fun stuff and things to look forward to that come with the structured show they've evolved over the years, for the most part I'm a fan of it.

Especially with their first USA and EU tour they could have experimented so much. They play so many small venues, it's the ideal moment to try something new instead of repeating the known formula over and over again. It's one that works, I'll give 'em that, but you can always try and up the performance even more. Or give the die-hard oldskool fans a treat or two.

On 1/18/2017 at 1:15 AM, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

Insomniac is getting left out a lot.  They are doing amazing shows as always, but that album, along with 1039 and Trilogy get NO love.  They've been playing 1 or 2 Kerplunk tracks at most shows, so there's that.   And the poor Trilogy.  I feel like they could at least play "Oh Love" once in a while.   

I miss Armatage Shanks. We really need more Insomniac

Really, really, lame they are not doing one little 2 minute Insomniac track at least. Armatage Shanks was perfect, all they gotta do!

1 hour ago, St. Jonny said:

Really, really, lame they are not doing one little 2 minute Insomniac track at least. Armatage Shanks was perfect, all they gotta do!

Less American Idiot and Dookie tracks is the solution to do that.

I've posted this before but it was in a thread for one of the random shows early on in this tour so not a lot of people saw it

I had a really cool idea for how they could play Say Goodbye. They should play Holiday, and then during the bass riff in the bridge, BJ could sing the Say Goodbye intro like he did on Howard Stern, and then the full band could kick in, and they play that entire song. At the end of the song, they end it by going right back into the bass riff of Holiday, and BJ proceeds to do the "representative has the floor" part and they finish Holiday. It would be a really cool medley, I can picture it perfectly in my head

My dad is going to be so bummed when they don't play Misery when we see them in March. He loves that song.

Know Your Enemy has no business being the set opener. It's got to be Bang Bang or Revolution Radio in my opinion. If you're only going to play one song off 21st Century Breakdown it should be the title track or Murder City.

Glad to see Ordinary World and Good Riddance close out the show. Now just throw in Brutal Love and we have a perfect ending.

Was kind of hoping to see Outlaws, Say Goodbye, Troubled Times or Too Dumb To Die make the set, but hopefully they add those in the spring or summer.

The set's great for a casual fan, but redundant (pun intended, please add to the set) for us crazy fans.

I think Green Day are at a point in their career right now where it gets really tough to make a setlist that pleases all. It's the same problem all bands have that exist for a long time: You have to play the hits, you have to play some older stuff die-hard-fans want and new songs. And I think we can't blame them for playing lots of songs out of their two most famous and successful albums.

And after being at the show yesterday I must say, the setlist they play right now works perfectly with the audience. It's a very well balanced mix of old, new, famous and classic songs that offers something for everyone. And it flows in such a great way without creating weird breaks, the songs flow perfectly into each other.

I would love to hear some trilogy songs, some more RevRad songs and some more 21CB (21 Guns must SO be there again!), too, but please don't worry too much about the setlist. Their energy and joy onstage is top-notch right now and they have so much fun and we have fun with them - it really doesn't matter, as long as there's passion. And I can tell you, there sure as hell is a lot of that!!

1 hour ago, Scattered Wreck said:

Remember who Billie's favorite fan is???

Can't you tell him it's ok if he plays Stuart & The Ave at my show?!

1 hour ago, Jane Lannister said:

Can't you tell him it's ok if he plays Stuart & The Ave at my show?!

Since I love you, I will try.  However, the poor dear is being very difficult lately, I'm still working on that Youngblood issue.

Archived