11 - Forever Now

Lone

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Anyone else spotted the references in this? "My name is Bille and I'm freaking out" seems like a reference to We're Not Gonna Take It by The Who, "My name is Tommy and I became aware this year," and "I never learned to read or write so well, but I can play the guitar until it hurts like hell," is a total lift from Johnny B. Goode - "Who never ever learned to read or write so well, but he could play the guitar just like ringing a bell." 

:woot: My name is Tommy and I'm freaking out :runaround: 

I got the Johnny B Goode one but not Tommy, which is probably unsurprising :P

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This song with its three parts basically reflects the thricefold nature of the record.

1. I'm freaking out - This is basically Somewhere Now (trying to find some sanity amongst the madness), Bang Bang (mass shootings), RevRad (the spirit of protests), Say Goodbye (mass protests), Troubled Times (the madness of terror attacks).

2. A better way to die - Outlaws (thoughtful nostalgia), BotW (juvenile carelessness, an appendix to Outlaws), Still Breathing (I'm still alive, but I want a better way to die than the agony and quandary I've been through), Too Dumb Too Die (thoughtful reflection on the past)

3. Somewhere Now - Forever Now (the recap of the whole album, finally having settled) and Ordinary World (being settled and enjoying normal life).

For me, it's also a recap of 2016 and the rollercoaster of emotions throughout.

5 hours ago, Libertine Angel said:

I got the Johnny B Goode one but not Tommy, which is probably unsurprising :P

You shock me to the core. 

I'm currently a bit addicted to this song and have been listening to it every morning on my way to work. The sound of it just wakes me up so easily and leaves a wonderful feeling throughout the day. :happy:

On 10/13/2016 at 11:26 PM, WhiteTim said:

It is tho Billie comes to terms with things at the end of Forever Now when Somewhere Now reprises where at first life was dull and now in Forever Now he finds life full and Ordinary World is him coming to terms and at peace with it least that's the way I see it 

That's a really good way to look at it. I never thought of that. I will when I listen to it now though.

On 10/17/2016 at 0:50 PM, Dakke said:

This song with its three parts basically reflects the thricefold nature of the record.

1. I'm freaking out - This is basically Somewhere Now (trying to find some sanity amongst the madness), Bang Bang (mass shootings), RevRad (the spirit of protests), Say Goodbye (mass protests), Troubled Times (the madness of terror attacks).

2. A better way to die - Outlaws (thoughtful nostalgia), BotW (juvenile carelessness, an appendix to Outlaws), Still Breathing (I'm still alive, but I want a better way to die than the agony and quandary I've been through), Too Dumb Too Die (thoughtful reflection on the past)

3. Somewhere Now - Forever Now (the recap of the whole album, finally having settled) and Ordinary World (being settled and enjoying normal life).

Wow you guys are blowing my mind right now with these deep summaries. :yay:

I'm suddenly really into this song now! I think it's finally clicked for me, somehow. And I love it. 'If this is what you call the good life' is one of my favourite parts of the whole album.

On October 14, 2016 at 0:26 AM, WhiteTim said:

It is tho Billie comes to terms with things at the end of Forever Now when Somewhere Now reprises where at first life was dull and now in Forever Now he finds life full and Ordinary World is him coming to terms and at peace with it least that's the way I see it 

Agreed. The album is incomplete without Ordinary World. Somewhere/Forever are fantastic bookends, but Ordinary World is like the calm after the storm that sums up how he's feeling after everything—after examining his own life and the state of the world, and deciding that things aren't perfect, but they're enough to have meaning and value. There's a feeling of completeness. I found it interesting that when he was asked why more songs from the film didn't end up on RevRad, he said he wanted to put only the most honest songs on the album. Some people read Ordinary World as being taken from a film/fictional perspective, but I don't think that's the case. 

I'm obsessed with how Forever Now mirrors Somewhere Now. "How did life on the wild side ever get so full?" is such an awesome follow-up to Somewhere Now. I love Billie's habit of bringing things full circle in their more recent albums. It's so clever. And Forever Now/Ordinary World are why I look at this album as being the most uplifting album they've made. After 30 years filled with a lot of dissatisfaction in their songs, there's something very settled and positive to the end of RevRad's story. It's dark—riddled with personal issues and political concerns—but despite all that, there's a big silver lining. I love it.

Also @Dakke, wonderful breakdown of how this song blends all the themes of the album together.

1 minute ago, stories and songs said:

Agreed. The album is incomplete without Ordinary World. Somewhere/Forever are fantastic bookends, but Ordinary World is like the calm after the storm that sums up how he's feeling after everything—after examining his own life and the state of the world, and deciding that things aren't perfect, but they're enough to have meaning and value. There's a feeling of completeness. I found it interesting that when he was asked why more songs from the film didn't end up on RevRad, he said he wanted to put only the most honest songs on the album. Some people read Ordinary World as being taken from a film/fictional perspective, but I don't think that's the case. 

I'm obsessed with how Forever Now mirrors Somewhere Now. "How did life on the wild side ever get so full?" is such an awesome follow-up to Somewhere Now. I love Billie's habit of bringing things full circle in their more recent albums. It's so clever. And Forever Now/Ordinary World are why I look at this album as being the most uplifting album they've made. After 30 years filled with a lot of dissatisfaction in their songs, there's something very settled and positive to the end of RevRad's story. It's dark—riddled with personal issues and political concerns—but despite all that, there's a big silver lining. I love it.

Also @Dakke, wonderful breakdown of how this song blends all the themes of the album together.

Spot on, as you usually are. Ordinary World is the feeling of being settled again. Some people have criticized Billie for dancing around the storm on RevRad instead of plunging in, but in my opinion he just describes the insanity he has seen from a clearer outside perspective ("I thought before I was well/I can't really figure it out"), yet all too aware of what he's been through ("If this is what you call the good life, I want a better way to die"). While all Green Day records are in a certain way the product of Billie's state of mind, this is by far the most candid album of all 12, with Forever Now being the synopsis of Billie's state of mind.

And honestly, I'm glad he doesn't delve too deeply into political issues in his lyrics. It's not necessary. He tries to personalize it and explain it from his point of view, rather than getting preachy or get poetic or intellectual about it. That's just how he writes, and I appreciate that. And I still remain that this features their most specific political songs to date—hitting on police brutality and mass shootings pinpoints very specific hot topics in America. And in terms of personal issues, I can't remember him ever being so candid about his frame of mind. He has been honest in the past about relationship problems, drugs, etc., but it wasn't vulnerable in the way this is (particularly this song). 

I like how the timing of Revolution Radio with Somewhere Now, Forever Now, and Ordinary World the songs and the movie Ordinary World came out so close together. It all really sums up Billie's life from the past to where he's at now and how he seems to be ok with everything. Hope this makes sense to someone. 

On 10/17/2016 at 1:50 PM, Dakke said:

Like I said, it's a concept album.   

Gotta go.   I'm feeling like a cello.   

Totally agree @crock6000! I think I wrote that after only hearing it once or twice, so my opinions have definitely evolved since and quite match yours. :)

Of all great lyrics on this song, I think I find "I wanna start a revolution/I wanna hear it on my radio/And put it off another day" is the most intriguing. Putting an end to a revolution is not something they've ever displayed so explicitly in their lyrics as here. I think it's very much a reflection on their 'revolutionary' era with AI ("I wanna start a revolution" - Jesus of Suburbia and Saint Jimmy in a very politically rooted album) and 21CB ("I wanna hear it on my radio" - Christian's inferno for all to see in a post-breakdown city)  and their desire to move away from the grand concepts of the 2000s. Combined with "I ain't gonna stand in line nomore", I think that's Billie screaming out that he isn't making the music other people want to or expect to hear, like AI 2.0 or Dookie 2.0, instead toning the grandeur down to let personal candor shine, as he does on Revolution Radio. Sure, there's still the political revolution in the title track, but the personal, introspective aspect definitely gets the upper hand on the outward perspective that dominated the rock opera's. I think this is very much the most explicit attestation of Billie ending the American Idiot era, and what better way to do it than with an epic mini-rock opera of sorts with himself as the protagonist going through hell - 2010 through iHeart ("I'm freaking out"), purgatory - Rehab and personal troubles ("If this what you call the good life, I want a better way to die") and heaven - getting inducted into HoF, making a new record ("How did life on the wild side ever get so full"), only to end up on the other side of the darkness, feeling settled (Ordinary World), whilst looking back on the tumult of the past four years (the preceding tracks on the record)?

This song sounds glorious live, just from the video. I find the album version pretty incredible already, but sung live it becomes a whole new powerful experience.

Paired with Somewhere Now this song is epic perfection :wub:

Think it's been said but it's so satisfying when Billie sings "I wanna start a revolution/I wanna hear it on my radio" :lol:. It's like this  

Same as in Letterbomb when he goes "You're not the Jesus of Suburbia/the Saint Jimmy is a figment of your father's rage and your mother's love/made me the idiot America". Another great coming full circle/summing things up song.

I cannot love this song more. I'm running out of adjectives for it. Conceptual Green Day is my favourite Green Day.

On 10/23/2016 at 2:55 PM, Platypus2000 said:

I cannot love this song more. I'm running out of adjectives for it. Conceptual Green Day is my favourite Green Day.

The best thing about this song is that there's no end of a forced narrative. It's a natural result of Billie's songwriting and an organic creation entirely based on his own experiences. It's not perfect, but it definitely is 1000% the Billie of the mid-2010s.

On 22.10.2016 at 1:40 PM, Dakke said:

Of all great lyrics on this song, I think I find "I wanna start a revolution/I wanna hear it on my radio/And put it off another day" is the most intriguing. Putting an end to a revolution is not something they've ever displayed so explicitly in their lyrics as here. I think it's very much a reflection on their 'revolutionary' era with AI ("I wanna start a revolution" - Jesus of Suburbia and Saint Jimmy in a very politically rooted album) and 21CB ("I wanna hear it on my radio" - Christian's inferno for all to see in a post-breakdown city)  and their desire to move away from the grand concepts of the 2000s. Combined with "I ain't gonna stand in line nomore", I think that's Billie screaming out that he isn't making the music other people want to or expect to hear, like AI 2.0 or Dookie 2.0, instead toning the grandeur down to let personal candor shine, as he does on Revolution Radio. Sure, there's still the political revolution in the title track, but the personal, introspective aspect definitely gets the upper hand on the outward perspective that dominated the rock opera's. I think this is very much the most explicit attestation of Billie ending the American Idiot era, and what better way to do it than with an epic mini-rock opera of sorts with himself as the protagonist going through hell - 2010 through iHeart ("I'm freaking out"), purgatory - Rehab and personal troubles ("If this what you call the good life, I want a better way to die") and heaven - getting inducted into HoF, making a new record ("How did life on the wild side ever get so full"), only to end up on the other side of the darkness, feeling settled (Ordinary World), whilst looking back on the tumult of the past four years (the preceding tracks on the record)?

I love this interpretation! And I feel the same way about it. I would even say the whole album is a reflection of the past, which evolves to become the start of a new era. I wish more people could look at it that way and realize how great RevRad (in general) is.

I can't tell where the bow guitar is in this song.  In "Outlaws" it's the solo, right?   Guess I'll wait for Behind the Scenes DVD to come out, haha.  

Also, the board's kind of slowed down.  Maybe the next single will give us a boost but until then, I hope I see you guys at the Georgia show!   

I never wanted to comprimise or bargain with my soul.  How did a life on the wild side ever get so fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullllllllll

I quickly became addicted to this song and the anthemic and powerful emotion it carries. The way it rounds off the whole theme from Somewhere Now (and the reference in Outlaws) is just so on point for me. It gives me goosebumps every time.

Not only the 'if this is what you call the good life, I want a better way to die', but the climatic 'I want a new conspiracy and the silence of a thousand cries. So hurry up, I want a better way to die'.

It just gets me every time ugh. I really hope they bring this to the setlist in Europe.

1 hour ago, thatdude03 said:

I can't tell where the bow guitar is in this song.  In "Outlaws" it's the solo, right?   Guess I'll wait for Behind the Scenes DVD to come out, haha.  

Definitely not Outlaws. I don't think so anyway? That just sounds like tremolo picked octaves. So I guess if that is the bow solo it's kinda pointless :lol:

As for the Ordinary World issue, it just seems like typical Green Day to have an "encore" at the end of the album, like they did on Warning, American Idiot and Breakdown. Can't say I'm much of a fan of the song when listening to the album, because it seems so underwhelming after Forever Now, but in isolation it's decent.

59 minutes ago, Spike said:

Definitely not Outlaws. I don't think so anyway? That just sounds like tremolo picked octaves. So I guess if that is the bow solo it's kinda pointless :lol:

As for the Ordinary World issue, it just seems like typical Green Day to have an "encore" at the end of the album, like they did on Warning, American Idiot and Breakdown. Can't say I'm much of a fan of the song when listening to the album, because it seems so underwhelming after Forever Now, but in isolation it's decent.

Meh, I disagree. I think it's a perfect epilogue and even on first full listen to the album I felt that intention. In fact, the placement of the two songs like that made me appreciate this one more.

3 minutes ago, RougeRogue said:

Meh, I disagree. I think it's a perfect epilogue and even on first full listen to the album I felt that intention. In fact, the placement of the two songs like that made me appreciate this one more.

Indeed. Ordinary World is much more powerful on the album after Forever Now. 'Baby I don't have much/But what we have is more than enough' is one of those lines that is one of the most striking on the album if you hear it after 'If this is what you call the good life/I want a better way to die'. I don't think Ordinary World is as memorable as Macy's Day Parade was, but it surely feels like a natural epilogue to a record that is very much centered around the madness of the present.

1 minute ago, Dakke said:

Indeed. Ordinary World is much more powerful on the album after Forever Now. 'Baby I don't have much/But what we have is more than enough' is one of those lines that is one of the most striking on the album if you hear it after 'If this is what you call the good life/I want a better way to die'. I don't think Ordinary World is as memorable as Macy's Day Parade was, but it surely feels like a natural epilogue to a record that is very much centered around the madness of the present.

Certainly :happy: But I admit that I don't think I've ever listened to Warning + MDP the same way. Actually, that is probably one of my least favorite songs whereas OW ranks pretty high. But I have been meaning to properly listen to Warning again so maybe I should keep that structural idea in mind.

Archived