10 - Troubled Times

Lone

Talk about the tenth song off the album here.

Lyrics

Spoiler

What good is love and peace on earth
When it’s exclusive
Where’s the truth in the written word
If no one reads it

A new day dawning
Comes without warning
So don’t think twice
We live in troubled times

What part of history we’ve learned
When it’s repeated 
Some things we’ll never overcome 
If we don’t seek it

The world stops turning
There it dies burning 
So don’t think twice

We run for cover
Like a skyscraper is falling down
And then I wonder 
Like a troubled mind

What good is love and peace on earth
When it’s exclusive
Where’s the truth in the written word
If no one reads it

A new day dawning
Comes without warning
So don’t look twice

Song page on GDA: http://www.greendayauthority.com/music/song/765/

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The verses are amazing, really. Original and catchy, but I don't like the chorus, they could have done more to make this song PERFECT.
Still a good song, but not their best one.

I wanna like this song cause we live in troubled times part is good, but the verses are boring and the meaning behind the song is a bit exaggerated.

I think this song's greatest strength is its lyrics, lots of clever stuff in that regard. However, musically I just don't feel it. Perhaps it's the lyrics clashing with the slower pace for me, whatever the case may be the song is by no means bad :)

If anyone hasn't noticed yet, I really, really, really, really, really love this song.  My favorite track on the whole album.  I really think it is going to land in my Top 10 GD songs of all time.

I adore this song with my entire being. It's quite a lot like Restless Heart Syndrome, which I think is some of Billie's best writing to date, so this song just nails it. Every lyric is really sharp, and the mood is appropriate considered he was inspired to write it by the Paris attacks. I know they almost left this track off the record, and I'm so glad they chose to include it. 

I hate the "We live in troubled times. We live in troubled times" but love the rest of the song. :/

The chorus is little bit weak but I really like this song. It sounds different from what they've done before & from the other songs on the album. 

9 hours ago, Steven Seagull said:

I wanna like this song cause we live in troubled times part is good, but the verses are boring and the meaning behind the song is a bit exaggerated.

...what? you're kidding right?

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely adore this song. Getting blatant and genuine worry about the world we live in today. "What good is love and peace on earth when it's exclusive?" amazing line. You'd be hard-pressed to find a more honest song.

Hmm this might be my least favorite. Still good though, but this didn't hype me

Decent, reminds me of something off Buzzcocks' last album (or maybe one of the more obscure other ones, I'm not quite sure).

Where's the love for this song? I think it's still my favorite from the entire album. I love when they go for a darker sound. Billie's voice sounds really cool, and the verses are fantastically written. "Where's the truth in the written word if no one reads it?" I adore this song. 

20 minutes ago, stories and songs said:

Where's the love for this song? I think it's still my favorite from the entire album. I love when they go for a darker sound. Billie's voice sounds really cool, and the verses are fantastically written. "Where's the truth in the written word if no one reads it?" I adore this song. 

Me too!!!  I adore this song. 

On 9/26/2016 at 7:54 AM, Scattered Wreck said:

If anyone hasn't noticed yet, I really, really, really, really, really love this song.  My favorite track on the whole album.  I really think it is going to land in my Top 10 GD songs of all time.

Wow, we really are experiencing this album exactly the opposite of each other.   Too funny.   

I'm not crazy about the chorus as much as the verse and lyrics 

25 minutes ago, thatdude03 said:

Wow, we really are experiencing this album exactly the opposite of each other.   Too funny.   

That is because I'm right and your wrong babe

What the hell is this reminding me of?  It's reminding me of SOMETHING, but I'm not sure what.  Has a very classic feel to it, mixed with punk.  I like it quite a bit, for what it is.

....It reminds me of Bullet with Butterfly Wings by Smashing Pumpkins!

Archived