10 - Troubled Times

Lone

Wow...how is there not more discussion on this song?? :shok: I agree that they could've put more effort into the chorus >.>  But otherwise, love the lyrics and LOVE the vocal melody, especially on the bridge!! Will listen many times. Def sign me up for the fan club :toocool:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit of discussion here about the chorus, myself personally I don't even feel like this song has a chorus and have remained with that thought until reading this thread. What part are people labelling the 'chorus'? Just curious thats all. 

I see it as a similar structure to Brain Stew in a way. A verse followed by instrumental with no chorus. 

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 2:52 PM, Michi1 said:

What the hell is this reminding me of?  It's reminding me of SOMETHING, but I'm not sure what.  Has a very classic feel to it, mixed with punk.  I like it quite a bit, for what it is.

....It reminds me of Bullet with Butterfly Wings by Smashing Pumpkins!

Not "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"? There's definitely more than a subtle nod to the song in my opinion. Halfway through the solo/ bridge I expect to hear George Harrison join in.

I love it, by the way. This and Say Goodbye were the two that grabbed me immediately. For the record, I love the whole album and am now going through the phase where I have a new favorite every day, but this one really caught my attention during the first listen through.

I also think this is the weakest song on RevRad. Aside from the repetitive hook, I don't remember much else about it. It's not horrible, but I'm not really feeling the music, vibe, or the dull chorus. Maybe it's too repetitive or not energetic enough for me. I dunno, but after hearing the album multiple time this is my least fave song.

The other day I replied to the Say Goodbye post while listening to the album for the first time. After hearing Troubled Times hundreds of times since, I felt that I should post on here :happy: I'm putting it on now :D

I absolutely LOVE this song: The muso, the message and the way the lyrics are sung.

Ok, first of all, the opening lyric:

What good is love and peace on earth

if it's exclusive?

This got me hooked at once. And then it turned around with the drums and bass.

Sure, it might be repetitive, but I feel a song with a message needs to be for the message to sink in.

And then there's this lyric:

So don't think twice

We live in troubled times

I feel the don't think twice bit speaks about the people who try to disguise the trouble and try to comfort. I feel it's better to know about the "troubled times".

and then the way biLLIE SINGS IT

Sorry for rambling :ga:

P.S I'm sorry to say this, but it has a hint of fanmade Five Nights at Freddy's songs X3

I don't get all the hype surrounding it it's probably my least favorite honestly. 

We Live in Troubled Times (naaa naa naa naaaaa) isn't that mindblowing to me :lol: and the verses are better but i wanted it to be more reflective and specific to the issues but they're so general and cliche to me.

i feel like this could be a good final single for the album. I could actually hear it on rock radio.

This song has grown on me. Originally, I would have given it a 3, but now it's a good 4.5. 
Can't stop listening to it.

I don't get why people don't like it, I think there are far worse songs on the album (Youngbook, Somewhere Now, Too Dumb To Die) than this. I like the dark atmosphere. It basically sounds like a trilogy song, but done right.

I listened so many times this song and I still believe Mike added two basses at the verse, similar to what Flea did on "Go Robot".

Sometimes it sounds like a guitar to me but strings/chords are too 'heavy'.  What do you think?

Btw, I really like this song!

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/16/2016 at 0:45 PM, Clockwise said:

i feel like this could be a good final single for the album. I could actually hear it on rock radio.

now that we're post-election, I feel like it *needs* to be a single. Insta-freakin' hit.

Like it a lot. It´s got a rolling beat, and has this special "drown with a smile" atmosphere...

Every time I listen to it I love it a little bit more.. Must be the next single for sure with a documentary type feel to the music video of a post election America 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2016 at 10:33 AM, stories and songs said:

Where's the love for this song? I think it's still my favorite from the entire album. I love when they go for a darker sound. Billie's voice sounds really cool, and the verses are fantastically written. "Where's the truth in the written word if no one reads it?" I adore this song. 

The mood and Tre's percussion remind me of how they pounded home their cover of Working Class Hero.  It sticks in your head, man....which is in part, the point.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the song is a bit dark and depressing in a way, but I quite like it. As some one has said before I love the opening lines: "What good is love and peace on earth? When it's exclusive? Where's the truth in the written word? If no one reads it".  Also love the melody when he starts singing: "We run for cover, like a skyscraper's falling down.."

15 minutes ago, crock6000 said:

Blink. Think. Look.

I was just listening to this song and it only just occurred to me at the pre-chorus to each chorus, Billie says

First: "don't BLINK twice, we live in troubled times"

Second: "don't THINK twice, we live in..."

Third: "Don't LOOK twice, we live in..."

Has anyone assigned any reasoning to the different lyrics on the chorus? It's a drop out of the ordinary and I'm wondering if it means something. Blink, think, look. 

Hmmmm, anyone?

I definitely don't hear "Blink" the first time. I hear "think" the first and second time.

But there are other GD songs where one of the choruses is slightly different from the rest e.g Give Me Novacaine (1st/2nd chorus - "Tell me that I won't feel a thing", 3rd chorus - "Tell me Jimmy I won't feel a thing") or Too Dumb To Die (1st chorus - "Looking for a cause well all I got was Santa Clause", 2nd/3rd chorus - "Looking for a cause well all I got was camouflage")

Archived