05 - Outlaws

Lone

9 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

I agree. It's cool that he at least usually gives credit, but it's still a bit meh 

Maybe this belongs in the unpopular opinion thread but examples like this and the fact that the album also has a song from a movie and some older songs that were gathering dust (and still is barely album length) tells me that RevRad was underwritten in the sense that as a whole it seems like they were trying not to overdo it and ended up with something slightly underambitious overall. I get why they did it that way, it was a long break they were rusty, deliberately took it slow and didn’t want to burn out again so it’s understandable. But for the next album I’m hoping for something overall stronger in the songwriting department. Some songs he definitely labored over and others not so much.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I don’t know but I love the Fratellis and that chorus definitely sounds too similar to get away with. Maybe they were told to add a credit. Between this and Still Breathing having a co-credit I think Billie needs to stop ripping off other songs so blatantly. For someone who has written so many catchy original melodies, he doesn’t need to he’s a better writer than that.

i'm a big fratellis fan too and heard it right away, but never listened to them side by side until today and it's staggering how close they are. i never saw the track on jon's writing credits before, and i checked earlier in the year for hints to new song titles so i think it must be a recent thing. i wonder if billie knows he's doing it, or if someone on the legal side of things hears it and gets them to add the credit.

The chorus is the weakest part of the song. I like Outlaws, but I feel disappointed whenever the chorus comes up. It's even more disappointing knowing it's ripped off. 

55 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

The chorus is the weakest part of the song. I like Outlaws, but I feel disappointed whenever the chorus comes up. It's even more disappointing knowing it's ripped off. 

And the Fratellis song is better because it’s more uptempo throughout. 

59 minutes ago, Moriarty said:

i'm a big fratellis fan too and heard it right away, but never listened to them side by side until today and it's staggering how close they are. i never saw the track on jon's writing credits before, and i checked earlier in the year for hints to new song titles so i think it must be a recent thing. i wonder if billie knows he's doing it, or if someone on the legal side of things hears it and gets them to add the credit.

If the credit goes on at the beginning he knows but if it gets added later he may just get a letter from a lawyer and realize it then. If he knows the song he can’t really deny he might have subconsciously plagiarized.

26 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

And the Fratellis song is better because it’s more uptempo throughout. 

If the credit goes on at the beginning he knows but if it gets added later he may just get a letter from a lawyer and realize it then. If he knows the song he can’t really deny he might have subconsciously plagiarized.

yeah the fratellis song sounds a little less disjointed than outlaws does.

i managed to find a post from september last year noticing he had a credit so it must've been taken care of before the release. 

On September 27, 2016 at 3:15 AM, XPursuitOfEpicnessX said:

Also does this song remind anyone else of Weezer? 

Pinkerton? Weezer's so different in other eras you will not recognize them if only instrumentals were released

17 hours ago, Moriarty said:

i wonder if billie knows he's doing it, or if someone on the legal side of things hears it and gets them to add the credit.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I don't really know anything about how that stuff works but being advised to give credit to avoid potential legal problems because of a similarity even when he hadn't realised or even heard the song when he wrote it seems like a possible thing that could happen, when it's so easy to get sued for even the most tenuous "copying" these days.

I believe labels have people whose responsibility is to watch out for potential copyright issues especially when it comes to big artists. Or so I've heard. 

6 hours ago, Hermione said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I don't really know anything about how that stuff works but being advised to give credit to avoid potential legal problems because of a similarity even when he hadn't realised or even heard the song when he wrote it seems like a possible thing that could happen, when it's so easy to get sued for even the most tenuous "copying" these days.

sometimes it must be intentional, like with Brutal Love, he knew what he was doing with that one. but he's admitted to being a fan of the fratellis in the past (2009 i think?), and as @Jaymee!! said to me he could still listen to them. which meant he may have subconsciously ripped it off and someone on the label heard it and got Jon Fratelli added as a writer before anything happened, as you said it's so easy to get sued for it these days.

Archived