05 - Outlaws

Lone

Dicuss the fifth song off the album here.

Lyrics

Life
After youth
Fading in twilight
The dawn of a criminal in bloom
First love
First forgiveness
We were delinquents
Freaks of a faded memory

Outlaws
When we were forever young
When we were outlaws
We’re outlaws of redemption baby

Hooligans
We destroyed suburbia
When we were outlaws
Outlaws are forever

Scars
Broken hearts
Breaking in cars
Running in the light of the light of the moon

Lost souls
Bottle rockets
All that we wanted
It’s for our life beyond the stars

Outlaws
When we were all forever young
When we were outlaws
Hooligans
We destroyed suburbia
When we were outlaws
Where outlaws are forever baby

I’ve got the super vision 
Nothing will change my spirits raised to hell
I plead my innocence
I bleed my innocence
But that’s my first defense when you are young

Outlaws
When we were forever young
When we were outlaws

Hooligans
We destroyed suburbia
When we were outlaws
Where outlaws are forever

I found a knife by the railroad track
You took a train and you can’t go back
Forever now
Forever now you’ll roam

Song page on GDA: http://www.greendayauthority.com/music/song/760/

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This song might grow on me, but so far it's just alright. probably my least favorite on the album.

Most memorable out of all of them. Probably one of my favorites, along with Forever Now, Say Goodbye, and Too Dumb to Die... I have no idea tbh.

I'm sorry to say but this song is kinda dull in my opinion.  The lyrics are good, but I don't like the sound to this.. Reminds me of 21st BD which is my least favorite Green Day album 

reminds me a lot of Wild One but i actually liked Wild One lol. its a tad underwhelming in my opinion. Probably just too slow for my taste

This one took about 2 or 3 listens for me to take to it and now I really enjoy it. It's very nostalgic.

IMO, this is the best track of the record. It has a dark soul, a melancholic memory and both the verses and the chorus melodies are amazing. 

Outlaws and mentions of trains ... can we get the ASCAP data on this song? Because I'm assuming it was written while sitting on GDC circa late 2013 and early 2014.

16 minutes ago, Platypus2000 said:

This song has no place on the record. Slow, boring and just kind of goes nowhere.

I don't agree with this at all.  I hear Bowie, Bowie, Bowie and more Bowie.  I love Billie using a Bowie influence, especially with him dying this year.  What a tribute.  I love this song, I think it is intoxicating 

One of my personal favorites on the record, the verses between choruses really make the actually choruses themselves more impactful. Also, the lyrics are sang so lovingly and sweet, even if they're rather destructive in subject matter :P 

7 minutes ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I don't agree with this at all.  I hear Bowie, Bowie, Bowie and more Bowie.  I love Billie using a Bowie influence, especially with him dying this year.  What a tribute.  I love this song, I think it is intoxicating 

I don't like Bowie though so maybe that has something to do with it? The dreamy, atmospheric stuff just isn't my thing. I think "Wild One" every tine I hear it, it's such a plodder, a minute and a half in and I wanted to skip it. Bit weird that my least favourite song on the record is sandwiched between my two favourites.

After hearing the record 3 times this is my favorite song I guess. I like the sound and the lyrics because it seems like it was written from Billie to Mike about the great things they lived together. Also makes me feel nostalgic because I'm going to university at the end of this month and me and my best friends won't see each other and hang out so often from now on and after hearing this song I feel sad but happy at the same time because I can remember all the crazy things I've done with my friends.

So far I've been in the mood for the fun songs on the record: Bouncing Off the Wall, Forever Now, Youngblood, Too Dumb to Die.
But when I'm in a more sombre mood one of these days, songs like Outlaws, Troubled Times and Say Goodbye might grow on me :)

Outlaws has a beautiful last verse/outro though. That's what I enjoy the most about the song at the moment.
I definitely get the whole "Christie Road pt. 2" concept. It draws on the same feelings, just from a more mature stand point.

On first listen I thought the song is nice but could be cut a bit shorter, but I've already changed my mind. The second part is pretty incredible, not to mention the beautiful ending, I can't get over how Billie sings the last line. "Forever now you’ll roam..." :wub:

I'm not quite sure why this is one of the favourites on the forum so far, for me it's decent but there are far better on the album.

Archived