Sarcasm

The Gaming Thread

Libertine Angel
58 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

*Googles incels*

Well, I learned a new word today. :lol: 

Sincerest condolences, I strongly recommend you never ever go down that rabbit hole any further because it is an endless mire of horror.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

solongfromthestars

I was just thinking that I don't think I've ever known a girl rage quit when I beat them in a Pokemon battle. Men do all the time though, especially if I'm playing as a girl. They tell themselves women are fake gamers to justify not wanting us in their spaces... and God forbid we're actually better at a game than they are :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Eva
2 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

*Googles incels*

There are a lot of things I didn't anticipate happening as a result of my comments but this is by far the worst :( I'm sorry for your loss.

• Like 1

Beerjeezus
2 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

*Googles incels*

I'm sorry I made you look them up - you weren't missing anything :lol:

AlissaGoesRAWR
1 hour ago, solongfromthestars said:

I was just thinking that I don't think I've ever known a girl rage quit when I beat them in a Pokemon battle. Men do all the time though, especially if I'm playing as a girl. They tell themselves women are fake gamers to justify not wanting us in their spaces... and God forbid we're actually better at a game than they are :rolleyes:

When I go to barcades my female friends are always like "how are you SO good at these games?!" and I'm honestly average at best at most of them, except Pac-Man. :confused:

But I realize it's because I don't know any women who played games as much as I did growing up because their parents didn't buy them gaming consoles. It's just assumed by most that gaming is a boy thing, sort of like how you buy toy cars for boys and dolls for girls. Which is crazy, since when I was growing up there were a ton of "girly" games that I really enjoyed, too, about Barbie and Angelica (from the Rugrats). So when women are good it's still surprising, I guess.

I'm always very grateful that my parents (mostly my dad) bought me a Playstation when I was like 8 or 9 years old. I sort of drifted away from games during high school/college, mostly because I couldn't afford the newer consoles and I was focused on my grades, but I'm picking it up again lately. Though I don't play much, and it takes me forever to get through a game now that I'm an adult (and a completionist), games are becoming a much-needed a happy place for me again!

Eva
3 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

When I go to barcades my female friends are always like "how are you SO good at these games?!" and I'm honestly average at best at most of them, except Pac-Man. :confused:

But I realize it's because I don't know any women who played games as much as I did growing up because their parents didn't buy them gaming consoles. It's just assumed by most that gaming is a boy thing, sort of like how you buy toy cars for boys and dolls for girls. Which is crazy, since when I was growing up there were a ton of "girly" games that I really enjoyed, too, about Barbie and Angelica (from the Rugrats). So when women are good it's still surprising, I guess.

I'm always very grateful that my parents (mostly my dad) bought me a Playstation when I was like 8 or 9 years old. I sort of drifted away from games during high school/college, mostly because I couldn't afford the newer consoles and I was focused on my grades, but I'm picking it up again lately. Though I don't play much, and it takes me forever to get through a game now that I'm an adult (and a completionist), games are becoming a much-needed a happy place for me again!

Honestly, as someone born in the late 1990s who is also queer, I think I know more women who play video games regularly and are invested in keeping up with the industry and news more than I do men. Obviously, my viewpoint is different than yours, but I think a lot of queer people play video games and see it as sort of a safe space for them. Literally I can't think of any queer female friends I have that don't play games and it's not because I'm actively searching for other gamers. It's just that popular in the community. And mostly everyone I know was born after 1995, too, so I'm on the cusp of the millennial/Gen Z stuff, and I think most Gen Z kids (again, from my experience and maybe I'm just lucky to not meet mean kids anymore) are totally fine with and love having girls play games. I think stuff like the Wii and DS really made it more commonplace for girls to play games because those systems were seen as more kid-friendly and family-oriented, which sort of gave girls a bigger gateway into the gaming world and let them get into it without having to beg dad for a "boy's toy" like a PlayStation.

The story completely changes online though, which is bizarre. Online, I feel like I get nothing but sexist comments and "girls don't know anything about games" comments even though I'm super into games (playing them, reading news, looking at industry commentary, etc.) and most of the time, when I'm attacked, it's a matter of opinion but since I disagreed with someone's take on Red Dead Redemption 2 or whatever, even though it's based on opinion, suddenly I'm a stupid girl that doesn't know anything because girls can't play games. Same with multiplayer online games, which is part of the reason I tend to stay away and that sucks because I love stuff like Apex Legends and Fortnite and all the battle royals that my dumb generation can't get enough of, but I can't play online with random people unless I want them to insinuate that the reason I "suck" is because I'm a girl.

tl;dr, people seem fine in real life but online they sure do get mean 

(Again this is all based on personal experience and not hard data so nobody ask me for proof or I will roll my eyes and tell you to spend one minute in a PC gaming subreddit pretending to be a girl with an unpopular opinion and see how it goes for you)

• Like 2

AlissaGoesRAWR
1 hour ago, Eva said:

I'm on the cusp of the millennial/Gen Z stuff, and I think most Gen Z kids (again, from my experience and maybe I'm just lucky to not meet mean kids anymore) are totally fine with and love having girls play games. I think stuff like the Wii and DS really made it more commonplace for girls to play games because those systems were seen as more kid-friendly and family-oriented, which sort of gave girls a bigger gateway into the gaming world and let them get into it without having to beg dad for a "boy's toy" like a PlayStation.

I do think that even though we're only six or so years apart in age, this is a big factor — especially now that everyone essentially has a gaming system, a smartphone, as a teen.

1 hour ago, Eva said:

tl;dr, people seem fine in real life but online they sure do get mean 

And yeah, I also think this is super relevant because people may not be willing to share their unpopular, sexist thoughts until they're hiding anonymously behind a screen.

Eva
3 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I do think that even though we're only six or so years apart in age, this is a big factor — especially now that everyone essentially has a gaming system, a smartphone, as a teen.

Yeah, I definitely think so. I was born in 1997 for reference :lol: I started playing games really young by most people's standards (I was three or four and it was with GameBoy/N64/PS2), but my biggest area of expertise and nostalgia is definitely the GameCube era and during the GameCube days, it was weird for me to play games and I got made fun of for it by girls even though all the boys were playing the same stuff. Once the Nintendo DS and Wii came out when I was older in elementary school, it all stopped because suddenly all the other girls had video games too. It still wasn't quite the same because all my male friends and I were playing old Call of Duty games and Zelda and they were all playing Mario Kart and Nintendogs or whatever, but I didn't get made fun for just playing games once that era hit.

Little Boy Named Airplane

Enlarge your N64 Collection.
Far from over. But I'm still pretty proud of my collection.

• Like 1

The Great Saiyaman

So after months of not playing Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, I just started playing it again. I couldn't give two shits about the multiplayer or the battle royale mode (not that they're bad!), but I've always loved the Zombies modes made by Treyarch. After being super disappointed with BO4 Zombies at first, now I absolutely LOVE it. It's so much fun. I've played these games for a long time, and each new Zombies entry seemed to get easier and easier, but it really hit its low in BO3 with overpowered Gobblegums that were fun to use but took the entire point of survival out of the game and it just appealed to a casual audience and there was no challenge to it. I really liked BO3 Zombies and thought it was a lot of fun, but it takes fucking five hours to get your setup and upgrade wonder weapons. Anyways, in Black Ops 4 honestly the only maps I really care about are IX and Classified. Five is my favorite Zombies map and to FINALLY see it as a remastered map in Classified and actually get better was just amazing and gave me a huge nostalgia trip. I seriously have been playing Classified non-stop, and I like IX because it's simple to get your setup and kick ass real quick. Just like in World at War and Black Ops 1. I'm glad that there's no campaign in this game though. They obviously put their resources into better things and the campaign in BO3 was just a mess that had nothing to do with the previous entries (How did World at War relate more to BO1 and 2 than BO3 did???). 

I usually skip or sell my copies of the non-Treyarch games because the Sledgehammer COD games have been disasters to me and Infinity Ward's COD games have gone downhill since MW3, but if the rumors about Modern Warfare 4 are true then I will most likely buy. 👀

The Great Saiyaman

No words needed. This game looks beautiful. Not sure how I feel about the legendaries. They look cool, but also kind of the same? IDK but I'm so excited for this game. 

• Like 1

Wretched & Divine

The new Pokemon looks too much like Breath of the Wild for me to be wooed by it. Not just the open world, but also the landscapes etc. And considering Breath of the Wild is probably the best video game I have ever played, I'm a bit dubious about all the similarities and lack of originality.

Anyway, do any of you guys play Civilization? I bought it for my Switch a couple of weeks ago and haven't played anything else since. It's deceptively addictive :lol:

fukingcounterstrike

I still hate the new starters

• Like 2

AlissaGoesRAWR

[hype intensifies :runaround:]

(even though it'll probably be delayed :lol:)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

[hype intensifies :runaround:]

(even though it'll probably be delayed :lol:)

I saw that this morning too! I'm super hyyyyyyped!!
Can't wait to see how Jénova's going to look like.

AlissaGoesRAWR
3 minutes ago, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

I saw that this morning too! I'm super hyyyyyyped!!
Can't wait to see how Jénova's going to look like.

So far everything and everyone has looked damn near perfect, especially Aerith.

There's so much anticipation for Tifa that if they don't show her at E3 tonight in a full trailer I think the fans are going to riot. :P 

23 minutes ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

So far everything and everyone has looked damn near perfect, especially Aerith.

There's so much anticipation for Tifa that if they don't show her at E3 tonight in a full trailer I think the fans are going to riot. :P 

Tifa need to be perfect ❤️
And I want a badass Vincent Valentine.

The Great Saiyaman

I can't believe this just happened. Wow. 

God I love Smash. Ultimate is seriously one of the best games I've ever played. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Great Saiyaman said:

I can't believe this just happened. Wow.

God I love Smash. Ultimate is seriously one of the best games I've ever played. 

I was so angry at first with Duck Hunt 😂 Thanks God for Banjo & Kazooie !!

Mato

Spyro Reignited Trilogy is finally coming to PC in September :woot:

The Great Saiyaman

So I can't transfer all my Pokemon to Sword and Shield? Bad move, Gamefreak. :mad:

AlissaGoesRAWR
On 6/10/2019 at 11:26 AM, Little Boy Named Airplane said:

Tifa need to be perfect ❤️

She is. :woot:

FFVIIR_E3_CharacterRender_Tifa_16x9.jpg

• Love 1

Libertine Angel

After 130 hours I finished Witcher 3 and both expansions, and god damn do I see why people love this game so much.

Wretched & Divine
8 hours ago, Libertine Angel said:

After 130 hours I finished Witcher 3 and both expansions, and god damn do I see why people love this game so much.

I've never played any of the Witcher games but I live with someone who's obsessed with them, so I'm suuuuper excited about it coming to the Switch. I don't think I've ever seen anything less than very enthusiastic positivity for it.

I bet I'm super late in saying this, but Mario Odyssey is so good?! I'm enjoying it so much.

• Like 1

Sarcasm

Fuck Todd Howard and his smug fucking face. The Bethesta conference made me angry beyond belief. These people are cheering, sounding like Frodo when Gandalf fell, for this dude who only one year prior lied to all their faces, made fake promises, put hundreds of people through crunch to release a piece of shit cash-grab game.

Fuck Fallout 76 and fuck Todd Howard

• Like 3