American Idiot is 12 years old today!

Private Ale.

2 hours ago, Justin said:

I still feel they missed a trick not doing an album tour for this for the 10 years

Well they were doing the Dookie thing for its 20 year anniversary around the same time so it wouldn't have felt special if they did both of them at the same time

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Mara Garcia Green Day said:

And now this album has the same age that I had when I started to listen to them.

:o I didn't think of it like that... crazy. 

Wow 12 years... seems like it was yesterday. I remember that me and my cousins used to grab some chairs and a kids microphone and we pretended to copy the Boulevard of Broken Dreams/Holiday musicvideo like if the chairs were the car haha, such great times

I still remember hearing this album for the first time... I was in my late thirties, having ignored Green Day up until this point, but a 12 year old student ( could have been a lot of posters here!) brought it to my music  class and played some of it.  I was letting the kids share their favorite music. And I still remember that feeling of awe..."Wow, this is beautiful!"... I quickly bought it, devoured it, husband devoured it, and raised my kids on it. This album is a masterpiece, right up there with Revolver, Rubber Soul, Rumours, Who's Next, Pet Sounds and all the other great classic albums of rock.

This sounds so lame but I was actually getting quite emotional while listening to the album in it's entirety (for the first time in a while) yesterday. It's the album that introduced me to the band, and was such a huge part of my life at the time. That album specifically will always have a place in my heart. To this day, American Idiot is still mind-blowing to me. The lyrics, the song structures, the story line, and the overall sound were so different and "advanced" compared to what they created previously. That album was definitely their peak of creativity, in my opinion. You know an album is truly a classic when it still gives you goosebumps year after year.

i can't believe it's been 12 years. i've officially been a green day fan for half my life now. hearing jesus of suburbia for the first time was an experience i don't think i'll ever forget. i honestly don't think i can even put into words how much this album meant to me then, or how much it means to me now, except to say that it changed my life in so many ways and shaped me into the person i am today. it means so much to me and i will never, ever stop loving it. 

I was 14, had heard AI and BOBD and had fallen in love particularly with the latter. I convinced my Dad to buy me the album and I remember listening to it in full for the first time. JOS was so good that it actually made me put down my PS2 controller (trust me, an achievement when I was 14), get out the lyric book and listen to the rest of the album in awe. I have been Green Day mad ever since. At the time it defined my music tastes and made me into a huge music fan. As an adult i have come to deeply relate to the lyrics and I continue to find new meaning in them even now. I often listen to the album when I'm having a shit time and it has come to mean a great deal to me. Creatively this is the best music the band have ever made, and for me it will continue to be my favourite record throughout my life. Thanks for bringing us this masterpiece GD, my life really wouldn't be the same without it :happy:

I guess I'm in the minority here. When AI came out I was 18 and a freshman in college and I had already been into green day for 9 years at that point, and this album actually turned me off of Green Day. I had already been playing in bands for 5 years at that point and I was pretty knowledgeable when it came to punk music, and when the AI single came out I thought it was decent but they were just ripping off Dillinger Four, and when I heard the album I thought that part of She's A Rebel was ripped off from a song on the album NOFX released in 03. There were a couple songs I liked, like Holiday, but overall I thought the album was boring and that actually bummed me out. It was a pretty shitty time in my life too, maybe that had something to do with it. As a disenchanted 18 year old this album really should have resonated with me but it didn't.

Oddly enough 21st Century got me back into the band when it came out, but now I actually like AI better than 21st. I like the song AI more than I used to, and I love whatshername, letterbomb, and homecoming. I love tre's part in homecoming and I love billie's part that comes right after it. I still can't get into the big ballads on here though like blvd, but I do feel bad that I'm not a fan of WMUWSE since it's such an emotional song for billie. overall I like the album now, but it's nowhere near my favorite

This album...

I bought it in 2012, and it changed my life. 

When I think of this album, the first memory that comes to mind, is sitting in my old bedroom, by the window, listening to it on this shitty old hand-me-down CD player from my sister, reading through the booklet, absorbing every word. I do think I have to pay thanks to this album for keeping me me. Because at that time, only three months from my thirteenth birthday, and nowhere near wanting to turn thirteen, I really didn't want to grow up. It was inevitable, and I felt like the older I got, the further I got from my favorite memories. I was evolving in a bad way, and I feel like I might have turned out a lot worse and gone down some sort of warpath had I not had this album, and Green day in general to guide me through those odd years.

It was the soundtrack to many moments. When my sister still lived in Wyoming, we constantly had to visit her to help her move or finiancially. She just frustrated me so much, because she ignored me and treated me differently, like a kid, and I guess I wanted to prove to her I wasn't, and listening to music was one way I felt I was achieving that. So when I'd come home from visiting her, plain out pissed off and kind of hurt, I'd just sit and listen to this album on repeat until I had to go to bed, rinse and repeat the next day. 

As I'm writing this now, I can see all those memories, things that I don't even know how to put into words, so all I can really do now is smile and appreciate this day, and this CD, the one that changed my life, for better or worse. :wub: 

This is my all time favorite album. It changed my life forever. It changed who i was. It taught me not to care about what people thought of me. It taught me so many things that no other album could. It gave me my individuality. I just love it so much. :cry:

11 hours ago, Justin said:

I still feel they missed a trick not doing an album tour for this for the 10 years

Although they've kind of made up for not doing that by playing pretty much half the album at most shows for the last 12 years :lol: 

I'll borrow this thread since Uno was released on the same day as well. It's already been 4 years. Uno was the album that got me back to Green Day after horrible 8 years. I also joined GDC because of it. That album will always be one of my favorites.

I don't have a big story. I bought AI and loved it, so Happy 12th AI! 

8 hours ago, Hermione said:

Although they've kind of made up for not doing that by playing pretty much half the album at most shows for the last 12 years :lol: 

Whatsername and Homecoming or nothing :P 

I remember running up to Best Buy the second they opened, tearing the plastic off in the parking lot and blasting it at volume 10 as I drove home.  That very first listen I was disapointed.  I felt like the songs were drowning in reverb and I barely made it through Jesus of Suburbia.  I listened to the entire album once I got home and fell in love.  It's pretty much been in my car (various cars) ever since.  

On a side note, I was 19 years old at the time.  

Sucks that it kind of began a downward spiral in their personal lives.   Imagine though if after Warning (an album the world gave a bored "meh")  that our favorite band here released Cigarettes and Valentines, which the band described as "not maximum Green Day".      Two "meh" albums in a row.   And without Idiot, Billie would have never been pressured to write Breakdown either.  Perhaps the trilogy or something similar would have came out and their musical career would have all but stalled at that point.   Warning, Valentines, then Uno?    

But.....things happen how they happen.    I'm glad that in our universe, Green Day are releasing what sounds like 2016 Green Day Maximum.    

I've gotta go to work.   

2 hours ago, thatdude03 said:

Sucks that it kind of began a downward spiral in their personal lives.

That's true in a way, but not completely. Bad things happened from the pressures of living up to AI, but that album also gave them so, so much. Even though Billie was struggling at the time, he says making the musical was one of his best life experiences. They were so, so proud to make it into the RnR Hall of Fame so young, and that was in large part due to the influence and impact AI had on the music industry. That album gave them the recognition they deserve for their talent, and for a band that works so damn hard, I'm glad they were rewarded in such a way.

Like most things in life, I don't think AI marked a distinctly a good time or bad time for them. It was a bit of both. But if we want to sum up everything that happened from then to now, the beautiful aspect is that my god, look at where they are now. They're seemingly happier and healthier than they've ever been. Had things not transpired the way they had, who knows if they would've ever personally reached such a peak. 

Quoting Doctor Who here: Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things, or make them unimportant.

I could write a novel about my history with this album. It was my first GD album. I played it constantly. The CD has since been scratched and skips during Homecoming badly. In high school art class I would use the hand heart grenade in my projects so much to the point where my art teacher told me to do something else :lol: never! American Idiot was the turning point in my life at the same time I was transitioning from teen to adult. The perfect timing. Homecoming makes me emotional and the pinnacle line "you taught me how to live" rings true. So fucking much. 

13 hours ago, dolce_amore93 said:

That's true in a way, but not completely. Bad things happened from the pressures of living up to AI, but that album also gave them so, so much. Even though Billie was struggling at the time, he says making the musical was one of his best life experiences. They were so, so proud to make it into the RnR Hall of Fame so young, and that was in large part due to the influence and impact AI had on the music industry. That album gave them the recognition they deserve for their talent, and for a band that works so damn hard, I'm glad they were rewarded in such a way.

Like most things in life, I don't think AI marked a distinctly a good time or bad time for them. It was a bit of both. But if we want to sum up everything that happened from then to now, the beautiful aspect is that my god, look at where they are now. They're seemingly happier and healthier than they've ever been. Had things not transpired the way they had, who knows if they would've ever personally reached such a peak. 

Quoting Doctor Who here: Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things, or make them unimportant.

Agreed.   And great quote by the way, love some Doctor Who!  American Idiot is such a great album.  I remember hearing Billie talk about how excited and proud of it they were but at the same time, a sadness went along with it because they knew it was a once in a lifetime thing. Green Day could make a better album one day but American Idiot was one of a kind.  

Here's another story I have that goes with the album.  My grandfather passed away in September in 2006 or so.  I will never forget going to the funeral and my mother turning to me, saying "this is like Wake Me Up When September Ends".  She passed from cancer a few years later, but man every time I hear that song I relate to it on so many levels.  Billie father passed from cancer.  My mother and so many other relatives died the same way.   

But yeah.  Green Day.  Doctor Who.   Awesome.   

AI was the first song I've ever heard of them when it came out. I was hooked straight away, kept looking for more songs and about 3 years later I had all their albums :lol:

Especially the fact that I was about 11 when I first heard AI, it really changed my life :)

Which means it's half of my age and accordingly I'm in love with this band for half of my life. It still is the best. :wub:

Archived