American Idiot is 12 years old today!

Private Ale.

This album is very important to a lot of people ,it's a "first" for many great things to come . It's the first album i listened through and changed my life in a better way. "Letterbomb" is a favorite of mine. Anyway,Happy Birthday to American Idiot!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember listening to this album and thinking I'd never heard music that felt so important before. In my world, it was truly groundbreaking, and it was pretty damn special in the music industry as a whole, too. This album was the start of everything for me. It was why and how I became a fan of Green Day, leading me into these last 12 years of good things and bad things and everything in between. 

It's impossible for me to divorce myself from who I am without this band. So much of who I have become is because of them. So happy birthday, American Idiot. And thank you. 

Hello guys!! I Made this tribute medley and guitar cover, to celebrate 12 years of   " American Idiot " . I recorded the guitars in the studio on  backing tracks of the album! I hope that you enjoy it, wtach it! 

3 minutes ago, Jake69 said:

Ignore him.

Ignore everybody you don´t like. And everybody who has another opinion.
Then see, life is passable again

My order of favorites from AI:

1. Jesus Of Suburbia 5/5

2. Holiday 5/5

3. She's A Rebel 4.5/5

4. WMUWSE 4.5/5

5. American Idiot 4.5/5

6. Homecoming 4.25/5

7. Boulevard of Broken Dreams 4.25/5

8. St. Jimmy 4/5

9. Whatshername 3.75/5

10. Letterbomb 3.75/10

11. Extrodinary Girl 3.25/5

12. Give Me Novocaine 3.25/5

13. Are We The Waiting 2.75/5

My American Idiot Rating: 81%

1 minute ago, Justin said:

I still feel they missed a trick not doing an album tour for this for the 10 years

I agree.. I'm sure they will for the 20th anniversary. 

9 minutes ago, Justin1 said:

I agree.. I'm sure they will for the 20th anniversary. 

Jimmy Eat World for every album when it hit its 10 years did shows just playing that specific album.

In fact, so many bands have done album shows or tours. I know it's that "living in the past" mentality but would make so many people happy.

If they did 13 shows playing all 13 albums I would go to every single one. Would be incredible 

I remember coming across Holiday whilst channel surfing before school, in 2005. I had heard BOBD (it was still enjoying heavy airplay whilst Holiday had only just been released) but Holiday is what made me fall in love with the band. Forever grateful for this album.

9 minutes ago, Justin said:

I still feel they missed a trick not doing an album tour for this for the 10 years

I'm afraid they were too busy with other stuff two years ago :ermm: But yeah, for the 20th, they will :D

Oh wow 12 years. I had liked GD before, but it was the release of AI when I started to love them. I remember how everyone at school (I was 17 back then) was so psyched, suddenly the school bands covered GD songs and you could hear the music everywhere, in every car, at every party. I was tutoring younger students in English back then and one of them was a fan, too. I made him translate the lyrics of American Idiot and Holiday, that was so much fun for both of us. And this album has shaped me in so many ways. I started to get involved into local politics around that time, AI taught me: We have to do something to change the world, we can't just sit there and let it happen! Thank you, and happy birthday!

that was the first record I bought... 

I heard Boulevard of broken dreams on the radio when I was like 11 back in 2009 and I loved it.

After I found out the songs name I bought the record.

It may be a bit cheesy to say "this record chanced my life" but I think it is that way.. It really turned me on to music in general and it made me play guitar.

7 years, endless records and thousands of hours of guitarplaying later I realize that it would have been a complete different story without american idiot...

PLAY IT LOUD:D

The fact that 2004 was 12 years ago scares me :P. But wow happy birthday to the album that made me fall in love with Green Day! Epic and beautiful, a total masterpiece. I remember seeing this performance of the songs on TV and being absolutely blown away (also the first footage of Green Day performing live I'd seen), still one of my all time favourites

Can't believe this album is 12 years old! It was my introduction to Green Day and I haven't looked back since. :D

16 minutes ago, Jenn. said:

I remember coming across Holiday whilst channel surfing before school, in 2005. I had heard BOBD (it was still enjoying heavy airplay whilst Holiday had only just been released) but Holiday is what made me fall in love with the band. Forever grateful for this album.

Same for me, I still remember listening to Holiday and Are We the Waiting for the first time and being blown away, thinking I'd never heard anything like this before... 
Glad I found them thanks to American Idiot when I was around 11-12 :happy:

Like a lot of GD fans, I discovered the band when this album came out. I wanted to hear more so I started listening to the rest of their music. And next year I will see them live for the 1st time!

41 minutes ago, Marki. said:

Same for me, I still remember listening to Holiday and Are We the Waiting for the first time and being blown away, thinking I'd never heard anything like this before... 
Glad I found them thanks to American Idiot when I was around 11-12 :happy:

I bought the album in early 2006 and Are We The Waiting was the first non-single I'd heard and I thought it was just fantastic :D i still remember exactly where I was when I heard that song and it has a special place in my heart, even though it seems to be the least favourite on the album for most!

Will probably forever be my favorite album of all time. This album just takes me on a ride from the first second all the way to the last. 

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

The fact that 2004 was 12 years ago scares me :P

I'm in a constant state of thinking it's currently 2010, basically. 

Thanks for that link, I have a nice little live soundtrack for the rest of the work day. 

I feel so emotional right now lol. American Idiot was my first Green Day album, the one that made me a fan, and everything started when I saw the video of Holiday on MTV, then when I saw them at Live 8 that was when I decided that I needed to buy the album. 2005 was the best year of my life thanks to this band and this record. And now this album has the same age that I had when I started to listen to them. I love it so much, forever my favorite one :wub:

Archived