It's Splash Time

Camping Out For Shows

solongfromthestars
2 hours ago, JoeFrusciante said:

Thank god, I was so scared for the people behind you :lol:

Considering how many backpacks I've had shoved into my space or been whacked with on this tour, the people behind me probably deserved it

• Like 2

wquillen

So I'm camping right now in DC but in my car next to the venue to stay warm for now, and from 10 pm to now (8 am), I've been the only visible person waiting.  It's probably because of the cold but I'm shocked at how few people there are.

Srbsan

Taking my 11 year old die hard to his 1st GD show. Any idea what time Pit lines up?  He wants to be close, but does not have to be on barricade. 

I am hoping it is not an all day affair. 

San Diego show. 

Strychnine.
On 3/23/2017 at 10:33 PM, Srbsan said:

Taking my 11 year old die hard to his 1st GD show. Any idea what time Pit lines up?  He wants to be close, but does not have to be on barricade. 

San Diego show. 

You could probably show up between 12pm-2pm and get close. I'm gonna be camping all day to get barricade and I'm so ready for it. 

AlissaGoesRAWR
On 3/24/2017 at 1:33 AM, Srbsan said:

San Diego show. 

Sometimes it's a multiple-days affair for the ultra-crazies who sleep on the streets. But if you arrive around lunchtime you should be fine. You probably won't be in front row regardless because of the small pit and VIPs, so if you're not 100-percent dedicated to the idea of an all-day affair for the ~experience I wouldn't show up any earlier than that.

Plus at many venues there are multiple entrances that are let in at the same time, and unprepared venues who don't handle the ticket-scanning process well at all, so showing up first doesn't always guarantee the best spot anyway (the camping crazies learned that the hard way in Pittsburgh, the show I most recently went to).

7 hours ago, Armstr0ng. said:

You could probably show up between 12pm-2pm and get close. I'm gonna be camping all day to get barricade and I'm so ready for it. 

There's a good chance it'll be almost entirely full of VIPs, just FYI. I'd say over 3/4 of it was in Pittsburgh. =/  

Paola17

It really depends on the show, but I assume you should be fine arriving mid-afternoon. 
Also, it depends on VIPs. In Champaign, there were only about 17 of them and they didn't even take up all of the barricade around the catwalk... I assume, because it's SD, it may be more than that and that more people may line up earlier (might also have to factor in what day of the week the show is on.)

SaintJimmyvdBlom

I sorta camped out (let's say about 4h prior to opening) at the Lanxess Arena this year. But it wasn't really worth it, I was 3rd row or something and it was crazy being so close. But I also went to Ziggo Dome and Forest National later (having just regular spot more to the back and seats right in front of the stage). The music quality was way better and I enjoyed it way more because I was actually able to listen to the music instead of playing Bear Grylls.

Added to that that I noticed a few guys start a 'pit' right in front of the stage and they ran nearly as close as I came by 'camping'. No use for camping out in my opinion, just rally some guys for the pit and run for the stage.

Yaz.
1 hour ago, SaintJimmyvdBlom said:

I sorta camped out (let's say about 4h prior to opening) at the Lanxess Arena this year. But it wasn't really worth it, I was 3rd row or something and it was crazy being so close. But I also went to Ziggo Dome and Forest National later (having just regular spot more to the back and seats right in front of the stage). The music quality was way better and I enjoyed it way more because I was actually able to listen to the music instead of playing Bear Grylls.

Added to that that I noticed a few guys start a 'pit' right in front of the stage and they ran nearly as close as I came by 'camping'. No use for camping out in my opinion, just rally some guys for the pit and run for the stage.

The very reason you didn't get barrier is because you got there 4 hours before doors. Can't say it's pointless to camp when 99% of the time you'll get barrier if you show up overnight/first thing in the morning

• Like 3

Beathe.
2 hours ago, SaintJimmyvdBlom said:

I got front row for all the shows I went to on the last tour. 5 in total. Two of them were in Amsterdam & Brussels. So queuing definitley is worth it. 4 hours is basically nothing though. You can't except to get a good spot if you show up that late for these kinds of shows.

Strychnine.
On 5/4/2017 at 5:51 AM, SaintJimmyvdBlom said:

4 hours isn't camping man. Try 18-24 hours prior to doors opening. 

• Like 3

Stacie Anne

I've camped out twice. First time I ended up 20 rows back but still in the golden circle, second time I got barrier. Most recently I turned up at 6am, was 70-something in the queue and got barrier. Safe to say, I'm a firm believer than camping out is nearly never necessary, turning up early morning is usually more than enough to get a good spot. Plus, camping out is just a miserable, cold, uncomfortable experience & kind of ruins the day for me.

• Like 2

Strychnine.
On 5/23/2017 at 3:23 AM, Stacie Anne said:

I've camped out twice. First time I ended up 20 rows back but still in the golden circle, second time I got barrier. Most recently I turned up at 6am, was 70-something in the queue and got barrier. Safe to say, I'm a firm believer than camping out is nearly never necessary, turning up early morning is usually more than enough to get a good spot. Plus, camping out is just a miserable, cold, uncomfortable experience & kind of ruins the day for me.

Good for you that you got lucky and were able to get barricade being 70th in line. Of the 8 Green Day shows I had pit tickets for I got barricade at 7 of them. At each show, I was there at least 12 hours prior to doors opening and somewhere between 10th and 14th in line. You can take your chances if you want to, but from my actual experience camping out has always done me good. Also, a few hours in the cold really isn't so bad.

When I saw Green Day in LA last October it was cold and rainy and it sucked. I sat out in the cold and rain for 4 hours until I couldn't take it anymore. So then I went to Denny's and got a hot coffee and waited until like 6am for it to be a bit warmer. It's a few hours of being uncomfortable, like grow some balls and deal with it.

Stacie Anne
10 hours ago, Armstr0ng. said:

Good for you that you got lucky and were able to get barricade being 70th in line. Of the 8 Green Day shows I had pit tickets for I got barricade at 7 of them. At each show, I was there at least 12 hours prior to doors opening and somewhere between 10th and 14th in line. You can take your chances if you want to, but from my actual experience camping out has always done me good. Also, a few hours in the cold really isn't so bad.

When I saw Green Day in LA last October it was cold and rainy and it sucked. I sat out in the cold and rain for 4 hours until I couldn't take it anymore. So then I went to Denny's and got a hot coffee and waited until like 6am for it to be a bit warmer. It's a few hours of being uncomfortable, like grow some balls and deal with it.

Okay uhm agro much? I wrote it from my perspective, writing my views, y'know, seeing as it was my post. 

Great for you that camping has worked out & it doesn't phase you, but for me, it's not worth it. 

I'll stick with my ovaries thanks.

• Like 4

RougeRogue

Omg, the 5th is gonna be my first pit show with them and this venue is 1, a massive area and 2, really fucking obnoxious to deal with. Of course I want to be there early and spend all day or as much as I can waiting around, but I don't know how early is acceptable or at what point it'll be considered loitering :lol: Really, I've never done this with this big of a band. I will have no idea what I'm doing. Should be great.