Second favourite son

2016/10/23 - Aragon Ballroom, Chicago, IL, USA

shannakett99
8 minutes ago, lizziebix said:

Just sent a message.  Will let you know as soon as I hear.

Here you go:

@sara_gd this is what she sent:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/venue/32771?tm_link=edp_Venue_See_All_Events

Aragon Ballroom

on Ticketmaster

ticketmaster.com

It's on this page at the very bottom underneath Miscellaneous

I dont know how strict they are with the policy cause ive never waited in line at aragon beforeI did have to wait in line there when twenty one pilots played but we got there like an hour before doors opened and the line was like spiraled throughout the parking lot

Hope that helps.

Haha, just logged on to GDC after 5+ years. I was one who gave that info. I saw it when I was looking at my ticket on the TM app. Like I said I don't know their level of strictness but I'd hate for someone to camp out and then get kicked out. 

• Like 2

sara_gd
10 minutes ago, lizziebix said:

Just sent a message.  Will let you know as soon as I hear.

Here you go:

@sara_gd this is what she sent:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/venue/32771?tm_link=edp_Venue_See_All_Events

Aragon Ballroom

on Ticketmaster

ticketmaster.com

It's on this page at the very bottom underneath Miscellaneous

I dont know how strict they are with the policy cause ive never waited in line at aragon beforeI did have to wait in line there when twenty one pilots played but we got there like an hour before doors opened and the line was like spiraled throughout the parking lot

Hope that helps.

Thank you! It says:

"Door times vary, but are usually 60-90 minutes prior to show time. Please check the specific event page day of show, as these times are subject to change. Guests should not arrive at the venue any earlier than 9 AM the day of the show. Should guests choose to ignore this policy, they will be turned around and told to return when doors open".

I do wonder how strict they are... I suppose it's rare to have someone big in the venue, so not many people would camp out for it.

• Like 1

shannakett99

Yeah, thats very true. Like that might be their spelled out policy but when it comes down to it, they might not care as much. 

lizziebix
7 minutes ago, shannakett99 said:

Haha, just logged on to GDC after 5+ years. I was one who gave that info. I saw it when I was looking at my ticket on the TM app. Like I said I don't know their level of strictness but I'd hate for someone to camp out and then get kicked out. 

I was wondering who you were on here.  Hi!  :)

AndrewW91

If you line up before their allowed times, they may be able to charge you for loitering as well.  The Congress Theater in Chicago threatened us with that back in 2010 for a different show, and it wasn't even that early.  I recall it being around noon or so. 

But, like it's been said, they might not follow the actual policy.  If you're willing to risk it, I'd e-mail the Aragon to ask them about it so you don't get there earlier than 9am and get in trouble. 

Dave Eric Mason

I've never been to the Aragon Ballroom. Seems like everyone is crammed in. Is there a little more body space towards the back of the room? I'm an old man (35) LOL and my back can't take hours and hours of standing. I plan on showing up later, showtime, so I figure I will be in the back. Any opinions on this venue. Give me the 411 

PS: Also, how strict are they with snack food? If I put a package of candy in my pocket will they make me throw it out?  FirstMerit Bank Pavilion at Northerly Island lets you bring in a plastic bag of snacks which is sweet

Edited by Dave Eric Mason
  • Like 1

AndrewW91
4 hours ago, Dave Eric Mason said:

I've never been to the Aragon Ballroom. Seems like everyone is crammed in. Is there a little more body space towards the back of the room? I'm an old man (35) LOL and my back can't take hours and hours of standing. I plan on showing up later, showtime, so I figure I will be in the back. Any opinions on this venue. Give me the 411 

PS: Also, how strict are they with snack food? If I put a package of candy in my pocket will they make me throw it out?  FirstMerit Bank Pavilion at Northerly Island lets you bring in a plastic bag of snacks which is sweet

No food.  That's how venues make most of their money is concessions.  Most venues don't allow any kind of outside food or drink. 

pdx2ord
7 hours ago, Dave Eric Mason said:

Been there for a couple of shows.  There is usually breathing / standing room in the back.  A/C is not a luxury they offer.  Sometimes the place can get very hot.  Not sure about the food, but I don't recall any concessions selling anything but alcohol at prior shows.  May then allow you to bring food.  Check the venue's website for policies.

pdx2ord

The Aragon is about 6 blocks from my house.  LizzieBix is correct that it is not the best area of town, particularly around the theater and just South of it on Sheridan and Broadway.  You've heard about the shootings/violence in Chicago?  Well. . .not a small number of them are in and around the area surrounding the theater.  So, I'd recommend not risking staying out overnight.  

On the happier news front, you've got a Starbucks, taco/burrito place, etc. across the street and a Target just down the road.  Snack runs fully supported.  There's a cocktail bar next door and a delicious Ethiopian place on the corner.

If anyone is still looking for tix, I will likely have two extra.  Given the fact that I have to get you in with my credit card, we'd have to figure out a way to meet at the door.  I'm not planning to line up a significant amount of time before the show, if that factors into your decision process.

Whatsinaname

I am getting concerned about safety since I will be traveling there alone. I can't drive in the city anymore, so I'm looking into taking the South Shore train and then getting on the redline. I'm looking at a nearby hotel called "Heart of Chicago", and it looks like I would have to get off at the stop nearest to the hotel and walk a block or two (it will be mid-afternoon). Then, I could either take a cab to the Aragon or get back on the redline. After the concert I'd probably catch a cab back to the hotel, then do the reverse in the morning. 

My head is spinning!  

Thank you for the restaurant/bar information. Any other suggestions are very welcome! 

pdx2ord
20 minutes ago, Whatsinaname said:

I am getting concerned about safety since I will be traveling there alone. I can't drive in the city anymore, so I'm looking into taking the South Shore train and then getting on the redline. I'm looking at a nearby hotel called "Heart of Chicago", and it looks like I would have to get off at the stop nearest to the hotel and walk a block or two (it will be mid-afternoon). Then, I could either take a cab to the Aragon or get back on the redline. After the concert I'd probably catch a cab back to the hotel, then do the reverse in the morning. 

My head is spinning!  

Thank you for the restaurant/bar information. Any other suggestions are very welcome! 

I don't know anything about that hotel, but you'll be in the middle of the Edgewater neighborhood.  South Shore train to Red Line, you'll be fine.  There are some colorful characters at times on the Red Line, but not unsafe.  The Red Line is REALLY close to the Aragon, as in right there, so I'd recommend that on your way to the concert.  Cabs/UberX are plentiful in the neighborhood for a ride back after the show.  Please, please direct message me if you have any questions.  I've lived in the neighborhood for almost 10 years, so happy to help anyone with suggestions. 

Looks like you and I are about the same age, so if you want to meet up with me and my friend before the show at one of the nearby bars so you're not just talking to yourself, DM me.  Otherwise, for restaurant/bar info, if you use "Edgewater" as the neighborhood around your hotel and "Uptown" as the neighborhood around The Aragon, you should get some good suggestions from Yelp.  Happy to provide my own reco's if you tell me what type of food/venue you like.  

Whatsinaname
Spoiler

Thank you so much! I feel much better now knowing the Red-Line is actually right there. I have an extra ticket and I'm going to speak to Kaylubd tonight and make plans to meet up with her to get her in. I would love to meet up with you and your friend before the show so I will DM you later! 

I started to get some anxiety about the neighborhood so thanks for letting me know it's not unsafe to ride the L-train there. I think on the way back it would be safer just to get a cab/UberX.  It looks like the hotel is just under two miles north. There's really not a lot of cheap hotels to chose from that are that close. 

The Snark

One of my friends and her husband live a few blocks away from the Aragon, so I'm going to be mooching a parking spot from them instead of paying (or trying to parallel park) around the venue, and then getting a ride from them. Still don't know how I'll be getting back to their house yet though. So far I'm planning on working that day and will either be leaving around 4:30 or earlier depending on how busy we are. I'm going to leave the pit to all you young'uns and stick to the back or sides of the room lol.

That said, I'd love to meet up with you guys! Either in line or at a bar/restaurant before the show.

• Like 1

kaylubd

Wow I've missed so much. Stupid email notifications not working! But yeah thanks to Whatsinaname I'll be going to the show! (Thanks again, seriously, you rock). 

And @pdx2ord I sent you a PM regarding tickets :)

• Like 3

lizziebix
3 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

Wow I've missed so much. Stupid email notifications not working! But yeah thanks to Whatsinaname I'll be going to the show! (Thanks again, seriously, you rock). 

And @pdx2ord I sent you a PM regarding tickets :)

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm so very happy this worked out for you both!!

• Like 1

kaylubd
Just now, lizziebix said:

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm so very happy this worked out for you both!!

Me too! And thank you for setting things up :) 

Hopefully, we can meet at the next Chi Green day show.

lizziebix
Just now, kaylubd said:

Me too! And thank you for setting things up :) 

Hopefully, we can meet at the next Chi Green day show.

I'm just so happy it worked out.  And definitely at the next show.  We'll be there come hell or high water.  And hubby agrees with me!

• Like 3

Whatsinaname

Thanks to GDC :) 

• Like 1

AndrewW91

For anyone that is curious about how entry will work:

The credit card you used to purchase the tickets does not have to be embossed with your name and other information. It just has to be the same one used to purchase the tickets. The card is swiped at the door and your ID checked to make sure they match the name that is on the account.  It is computerized to recognize any discrepancies.

XxXxXxXxX
On September 10, 2016 at 8:57 PM, sara_gd said:

Thank you! It says:

"Door times vary, but are usually 60-90 minutes prior to show time. Please check the specific event page day of show, as these times are subject to change. Guests should not arrive at the venue any earlier than 9 AM the day of the show. Should guests choose to ignore this policy, they will be turned around and told to return when doors open".

I do wonder how strict they are... I suppose it's rare to have someone big in the venue, so not many people would camp out for it.

I just called them. They don't suggest it because although the area isn't terrible, it has the highest rates of mental instability in the state. There are lots of methadone and drug clinics around so the area attracts a lot of drug users and it's unpredictable as to what their behaviors will be. Basically the security guards start working at 9. 

Edit: heres a link. https://www.reddit.com/r/chicago/wiki/dwelling

If your concern is safety scroll down to safety and there are a bunch of interactive maps that show anything from gang activity to crime. I will personally show up around 9 A.M. I will create reddit post and update you guys on the line as the day goes by. I can post the link here when I create it.

• Like 1

deadair

My mom (who likes Green Day too) and I tried to get tickets when it went on sale last Friday at 10 but to no avail. I doubt anyone has any spare tickets at this point, but if somebody has an 2 extra tickets that they don't want to use PM me.

AndrewW91
On 9/12/2016 at 2:39 PM, pdx2ord said:

The Aragon is about 6 blocks from my house.  LizzieBix is correct that it is not the best area of town, particularly around the theater and just South of it on Sheridan and Broadway.  You've heard about the shootings/violence in Chicago?  Well. . .not a small number of them are in and around the area surrounding the theater.  So, I'd recommend not risking staying out overnight.  

On the happier news front, you've got a Starbucks, taco/burrito place, etc. across the street and a Target just down the road.  Snack runs fully supported.  There's a cocktail bar next door and a delicious Ethiopian place on the corner.

If anyone is still looking for tix, I will likely have two extra.  Given the fact that I have to get you in with my credit card, we'd have to figure out a way to meet at the door.  I'm not planning to line up a significant amount of time before the show, if that factors into your decision process.

So I was at the Riv last October, and found a parking spot literally right around the corner from it on Leland Ave(?).  I was going to try to park around there again since the Riv is right around the corner from the Aragon.  Is this a stupid idea?

Dave Eric Mason

Does the Aragon sell any snack food or soda? If so, what are the prices? Show should have a wide range of ages, right? lol 

Edited by Dave Eric Mason

XxXxXxXxX
2 hours ago, Dave Eric Mason said:

Does the Aragon sell any snack food or soda? If so, what are the prices? Show should have a wide range of ages, right? lol 

never been but I hear its like $10 for a bottle of water. Show is 17+ unless you are with a parent or legal guardian. Most shows at aragon are 18 or 21+ so they don't normally have a lot of kids come through. Not sure about snack food and soda. Its gonna be REALLY packed in there so if your anywhere near middle up its gonna be hard to get out. I just recommend eating and drinking whatever you want in line before you go in.

pdx2ord
23 hours ago, AndrewW91 said:

So I was at the Riv last October, and found a parking spot literally right around the corner from it on Leland Ave(?).  I was going to try to park around there again since the Riv is right around the corner from the Aragon.  Is this a stupid idea?

Great idea actually.  They have just converted several of our local streets to zone/permit parking, so watch for that.  Usually the local spots are full on the night of a show by 5:30ish.