Green Day Mention Violent Video Games

walking_c0ntradicti0n

Still a stupid argument. If I saw some being shot and killed infront of me, my reaction would be the same regardless of, if I had or had not played violent video games. It would be shocking and traumatising. Violence in video games does desensitise violence in reality.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read that part of the interview several times, and I think that, as with many news stories, one quote was taken out of context and blown up into a sensationalistic article, which then spread like wildfire to other news outlets (it's not the first time that that has happened to GD, though, unfortunately). I was glad to see people in some comment sections scolding the writers for not having done their research thoroughly enough, though. It makes me happy that many people won't just take attention-grabbing headlines at face value and will check the source information to verify, so as to avoid jumping to conclusions.

Additionally, I find this hard to admit, but as a teenager, I find that I do almost feel desensitized towards violence now. It's a scary thought to me, but even though I don't even play video games at all, there are just so many horrible tragedies occurring in the world daily that it's hard to be shocked by it anymore. I don't think that there's necessarily a link between committing violence and becoming jaded. I personally would never hurt a fly, and I know that my friends would never commit any violent acts either. I feel that the people who are doing these awful things were already a bit kooky before something set them off.

I'm worried that Green Day is still making music.

-Poopy

Admin's comment to the post. I actually laughed a bit.

Anyways, of course they're wrong but obviously they're right to a little extent.
People tend to lose their shit when they disagree with their idols, so they start to justify their opinions or claim their quotes are taken out of context etc etc. Sure it might be emberassing from time to time, but just laugh it off. I myself have almost nothing in common with their political views. Sometimes, I think things they say are stupid. I still enjoy their music, and Green Day is still one of my favorite bands - if not the THE favorite band.

However, I acutally agree that the quotes are taken out of context to some extend. You guys explained that better than me, so I'm not gonna repeat what's been said (also, it contradicts my argument).

It is really Tre and Mike not Billie complaining about mixed martial arts, violence on the Internet, young people (specifically) becoming desensitised and violent video games and as I read it I could almost hear the groan starting in the pit of my stomach. Mike is concerned about violence. He felt like smashing someone in the face with his guitar for requesting Christie Road. Maybe he glimpsed some mixed martial arts on the TV while surfing the Internet for violent video games that day :lol: In all seriousness though this isn't a modern 2016 young people using the Internet or new fangled contraptions problem and Green Day of all people know it. Maybe that's why Billie didn't say too much 

13 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

It is really Tre and Mike not Billie complaining about mixed martial arts, violence on the Internet, young people (specifically) becoming desensitised and violent video games and as I read it I could almost hear the groan starting in the pit of my stomach. Mike is concerned about violence. He felt like smashing someone in the face with his guitar for requesting Christie Road. Maybe he glimpsed some mixed martial arts on the TV while surfing the Internet for violent video games that day :lol: In all seriousness though this isn't a modern 2016 young people using the Internet or new fangled contraptions problem and Green Day of all people know it. Maybe that's why Billie didn't say too much 

It is kind of fucked up that we entertain ourselves by watching other people kill each other- I understand this is biologically programmed inside of us at some level, but I am not happy about it. Why should any of us receive gratification for shooting others or in MMA's case manually destroying each other? I understand that physical aggression is an imprinted response to a threat from a biological perspective, but it seems so incredibly backward and counterproductive to me. Perhaps this is why we haven't seen any signs of intelligent life outside of our planet- at some point, other civilizations run into the same evolutionary roadblock and never make it outside of their own planet because they are too busy killing each other.

Meh the beginning of when violence started to become a staple mark in the media and folks became desensitized were a few things.

1. Mortal Kombat

2. East and West coast rap in the early 90's.

3. Columbine High School

4. Parental Advisory Sticker.

In my opinion growing up on all of those and now looking back on it as a parent.  These four things really changed the spectrum of people being shocked but no longer after these incidents.  Why?

Mortal Kombat opened the door for ratings on video games and also if it wasn't for this game you wouldn't have doors opened for the games now that are on xbox one and ps4 the language, the graphic violence and the adult themes.  Before Mortal Kombat you didn't have anything that took the generation by storm, I mean doom grabbed some folks. But most kids had a gaming system more so than a computer at the time.

East and West coast rap.  This opened the door to folks in regards to the violence in the cities regardless of where you lived.  What artists before this time period outside of NWA were being explicitly graphic in regards to stuff most people think are just in the movies.  It also helped desensitized kids to the type of behavior and mannerisms.  Back then you heard "Bitches ain't shit" and you would be like dayum.  Now you have folks saying oh is that it, you call that graphic and abrasive.  Its like those artists opened the door and it became more and more abrasive only to really shock folks as opposed to making a point aka some of Eminem's material and hypothetically Slipknot to an extent at least when it comes to mainstream media.

Columbine let the people know especially kids that lights out can come anytime in this country.  Not just across the sea.  Furthermore afterwards the shock value of someone shooting up a school at least in suburbia would be OH my god, whereas in the inner city. especially in killa cali parts its not totally common but it ain't totally surprising when it happens either.  If anything it just made people less worried and more of well if it happens it happens not oh this could never happen.  Last few years have certainly proved that.

For the parental advisory sticker.  Back then when an artist got one of them,  you were oh what's on here.  Now its just okay they curse big deal, big whoop.  Am i supposed to be impressed.  For example these days "mothafucka" has become a person, place or thing as opposed to the actual saying of it.  Just how things change or go through a positive or negative metamorphesis.

Personally I let my kids play video games that may have a good amount of violence however it really depends.  Gears of War yeah, GTA....no because certain behaviors I don't want my kids knowing about yet such as sex and drugs.  Left 4 dead, meh just shooting zombies...but mortal kombat the current one....absolutely not.  It really just depends on what you allow as a parent, you can't censor everything but when you tell them no, at least give them a reason as opposed to just saying "cause I said so".  At least that's my view on it.

Archived