New interview in Q Magazine

Rumpelstiltskin2000

1 minute ago, MysticManiac said:

Well Billie was the songwriter and the lyrics were probably the weakest part of the trilogy imo. But what are Mike and Tré supposed to say? "Billie, these lyrics are shit"

Mike and Tré probably did love it at the time and they surely were involved in picking which songs ended up on the Trilogy and on which album (as shown in Cuatro!). Of course we only have direct evidence in the form of Cuatro and they'll probably back up Billie by saying that it wasn't their creative apex. Still, it is indeed bewildering that no one (Cavallo especially) stepped in to straighten certain kinks out.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe Billie is around 70% of this band in terms of music creation.

4 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I believe Billie is around 70% of this band in terms of music creation.

Especially lyrically and conceptually. I think they just trusted Billie and were really into his vision on the trilogy at the time. They too probably wanted to make a less serious album after the heavy-handedness and gloom of 21CB and presumed that Billie's lyrics would work out. It still mystifies me that no one realized Billie was seriously derailing and needed professional help. Back on-topic, this was another excellent and enticing interview. I'm really looking forward to Troubled Times and how it'll compare to for example WMUWSE.

10 hours ago, Dakke said:

Especially lyrically and conceptually. I think they just trusted Billie and were really into his vision on the trilogy at the time. They too probably wanted to make a less serious album after the heavy-handedness and gloom of 21CB and presumed that Billie's lyrics would work out. It still mystifies me that no one realized Billie was seriously derailing and needed professional help. Back on-topic, this was another excellent and enticing interview. I'm really looking forward to Troubled Times and how it'll compare to for example WMUWSE.

Yeah I think you're right...by the way, could you tell anything was wrong from Cuatro? Like you said, it's the direct evidence but when I watched it I found no answers except for confirming my presumptions. Of course, the movie is meant to show how excited they were, how good the atmosphere was etc. and that's the impression I got from it. It doesn't look forced or anything. The live music in Cuatro sounds good too, I probably would be excited if I were there...I kind of see why they thought it was cool. It actually kind of was  (that live sound, secret shows, another guitarist...it must have been fun). And Billie probably acted normal. He didn't do anything derailed in Cuatro, especially considering this band's standards so I assume they just couldn't tell. 

Archived