New interview in Q Magazine

Rumpelstiltskin2000

Photos of the new interview in Q Magazine - not perfect but readable. Can post better pics when I get home!

K720sIy.jpg

ZzWphfp.jpg

DsAKbKq.jpg

yy2kHOL.jpg

O9a1Mxp.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm suprised and pleased to hear Billie talking so openly and honestly about both his drug use and the Trilogy. I'm happy he's not tip toeing around the situation.  Thank you for sharing this.

In my opinion this is the best interview they've done so far. I really like how thoughtful and clear-minded Billie is in this piece (and his other interviews in Kerrang and on the RS podcast). If done well, Troubled Times is poised to be the best track of the album and one of their most memorable songs. I personally like that we know so little about the other tracks. They spoiled too much of the Trilogy beforehand in my opinion, so much that the albums upon release didn't feel 'new'. Now we are left in the dark with a trail of crumbs to entice us. 

Cool article.  Still want to know about the tracks though.  One month to go RATZ!!!!

I was a bit afraid after the Trilogy that they'd sort of sweep that whole period under the rug. Because at the time, that's how they were acting—let's not dwell on the bad stuff too much and just keep pushing forward. Billie was really honest in his initial Rolling Stone interview, but that was the tone—I'm not talking about this again and we're moving on. And if that was their choice, so be it, but I didn't want it swept under the rug. I wanted to talk about it, at least a little. I didn't want to just move on and act like nothing happened. So I really, really appreciate how open and honest they're being. I feel like because of what a great place they seem to be in now, I'm able to through-and-through celebrate right alongside them. It feels really good. It feels like I've been missing them—this version of them, the excited, inspired, dorky, friends version of them—for a really long time.

"Those records have absolutely no direction to them. It was about being prolific for the sake of it". (Billie Joe Armstrong) 

:D:lol: Thanks Billie for confirming what so many of us have been saying for years :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

"Those records have absolutely no direction to them. It was about being prolific for the sake of it". (Billie Joe Armstrong) 

:D:lol: Thanks Billie for confirming what so many of us have been saying for years :thumbsup:

I afraid he's been reading gdc way too much :P

7 hours ago, Hero_Of_The_Hour said:

I'm sure Seagull even dissagrees with Billie on that

17 hours ago, dolce_amore93 said:

I was a bit afraid after the Trilogy that they'd sort of sweep that whole period under the rug. Because at the time, that's how they were acting—let's not dwell on the bad stuff too much and just keep pushing forward. Billie was really honest in his initial Rolling Stone interview, but that was the tone—I'm not talking about this again and we're moving on. And if that was their choice, so be it, but I didn't want it swept under the rug. I wanted to talk about it, at least a little. I didn't want to just move on and act like nothing happened. So I really, really appreciate how open and honest they're being. I feel like because of what a great place they seem to be in now, I'm able to through-and-through celebrate right alongside them. It feels really good. It feels like I've been missing them—this version of them, the excited, inspired, dorky, friends version of them—for a really long time.

I feel similarly about it even though I thought I'd be happy if they never brought it up again. However, they made good decision about the way to approach this. They had nothing else to say about it back in the day except for how screwed up things were, that would only make the situation look more miserable. It's much easier to reflect on the trilogy era with the time that has passed since and a new, much better received song out. 

7 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

I afraid he's been reading gdc way too much :P

For once it's not a bad thing :D

6 hours ago, Sixtrix said:

I'm sure Seagull even dissagrees with Billie on that

Doesn't he always need to disagree with everyone on everything so it wouldn't be anything new :lol:

I didn't know Green Day where friends with members of the Eagles of Death Metal. Interesting.

A personal anecdote: I ran in to Billie Joe at Broken Guitars on my way home from work the day of the Paris / EODM attacks. The news was just breaking and I remember Billie and Bill Schneider looking at their phones, and Billie saying to Bill "Look for the hashtag 'PrayForParis'". I didn't know what they were referring to, so when I got back to my car, I checked the news and there were stories about the concert shooting. Technically I heard about it from them.

I don't see Billie "trashing" the Trilogy like a lot of people are interpreting it. He's saying it wasn't fully thought out, not that it was all garbage.

On a similar note, I wonder how Tre and Mike feel about Billie's critical attitude of the Trilogy. They weren't drugged when they made it and they loved it.

7 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I don't see Billie "trashing" the Trilogy like a lot of people are interpreting it. He's saying it wasn't fully thought out, not that it was all garbage.

On a similar note, I wonder how Tre and Mike feel about Billie's critical attitude of the Trilogy. They weren't drugged when they made it and they loved it.

Well Billie was the songwriter and the lyrics were probably the weakest part of the trilogy imo. But what are Mike and Tré supposed to say? "Billie, these lyrics are shit"

5 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

That's been bugging me for 4 years. I'm ready to cut BJ some slack but WTF was wrong with them? There were at least 4 people with fully functioning brains in that studio. 

Just now, MysticManiac said:

Well Billie was the songwriter and the lyrics were probably the weakest part of the trilogy imo. But what are Mike and Tré supposed to say? "Billie, these lyrics are shit"

Yes, exactly. 

2 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

They're best friends and longtime colleagues. They put their name on the music too. Yes, they should say the lyrics are shit if they indeed are.

Archived