Green Day PARODY- Sleep With Your Wife [Time of Your Life]

Michael Fernandes

Hey guys, just wanted to get some constructive criticism on this song parody that I made of Green Day's Time of Your Life. I'm not a singer but I tried my best ahaha. I'm always looking to improve on my vids so I'd love to hear what people think. Thanks!

A little too silly for my taste. Even with parody songs I appreciate a decent singing voice, a well thought out concept and some good lyrics in order for me to get into the "story" you're telling

Some harsh honest critique! :lol:

Not bad, the video's funny!

I actually did one of these last spring, this seems like a good place to plop it..

It's worth it to pause the video when he's reading their text conversation.      Hilarious!  

18 hours ago, thatdude03 said:

It's worth it to pause the video when he's reading their text conversation.      Hilarious!  

ahaha I had to reward the patient individuals who were willing to pause and read it !

5 hours ago, crock6000 said:

Ok. honesty. From best to worst.

Video - A-

Instrumental (if Karaoke version B, or doesn't even really need a grade), if you played it yourself A or A+.

Singing - B definitely NOT BAD and above average and with some minor tweaking or multiple takes you could have made this sound pitch perfect so it's why I am giving you the B over the B+ or if you worked it, maybe even A but you spent some time on this and yet didn't either know how, or weren't bothered to fix it.  I think a little tiny drop of reverb like Billie has on the track would have helped a tad.  With some lessons, or some more engineering help, your voice could sound a lot better and if you ca get higher, then your range would be wonderful. Don't get me wrong, you don't need to go alto but I would get some lessons and see what happens. You have a potentially great voice IMO.

Concept - Again, decent concept but with the discography of Green Day, it would be a funnier concept to me just off the cuff "The Tree of Your Life" (Good Riddance) (Tree of Life) and you could have made it about that book "Long Dude" (Longview) (a song about a guy about the problems with his overly large member. "Brain Food" (Brain Stew) A parody of zombie rockers.  "Before the Vasectomy" (Before the Lobotomy) - A song about a guy longing for the days when he had his nuts in tact. "Jesus of Serbia" (as in the country for "Jesus of Subrbia" and the song could be something funny about that Eurpoean communist country.  By the way, I am literally coming up with these as I write them but can hear funny ass lyrics to each one so this is without even trying.  "Boulevard of Broken Bones" (Boulevard of Broken Dreams [from a Dog's POV] - "I have a tasty bone, the only bone that I have ever known, I don't know where it goes, but I think I'll bury it alone.....I walk this empty streeet, on the boulevard of broken treats, don't know where to keep, all of these bones, but I walk alone".  <--- ok, not the best but you get the point as that took 10 seconds.  "Novacaine" (Cocaine).  Writes itself.  "Whatshername" (Cunt'shername) a song about someone you don't like at all.  I could keep going all day.  My point is that off the cuff I came up with these. IMHO, if I sat down for a while and tried to think of something really funny, better could be done than "Sleep With Your Wife (Time of your Life)" which doesn't even actually fit within the confines of the actual name of the song which is "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" but that could be easily forgiven if there was a reason for it.  A better name would have even helped like "Hey Lawrence (Can I sleep with your wife?)". To me it was sung well enough and I think you have good voice actually, it just needs direction, more takes, and maybe some tuning (but not necessarily on the tuning).

OVERALL - B-

I thought it was pretty funny(ish) and the effort was there but it's almost not as good for me because you had the potential and took the time to make it better than it is.  All in all, thanks for contributing something for us to watch and enjoy.  Nothing like being creative.  I would not have criticized it at all if you hadn't asked.  It's not that it needs criticism, you just wanted it.

yeah don't worry I definitely appreciate the constructive criticism! In terms of the singing, it wasn't a matter of doing more takes (trust me I comped multiple takes ) it's simply a matter of not being a singer and having a weak vocal range and some parts of the verse were pretty high for me so I had to strain a bit. In terms of the title, I assumed the majority of my viewers simply know the song as Time of Your Life, unless they happen to be big Green Day fans, so I didn't bother trying to work with the Good Riddance part. But thanks, I'll keep your advice in mind for future videos!

Also, thanks for the constructive criticism to anyone else who contributed towards this thread, I'm always looking to improve!

Archived