Photos/videos you've taken at Green Day shows and the stories behind them

solongfromthestars

It's nice to have professional photos and videos from the shows you were at, but there's something really cool about having your own, even if they're blurry and far away. I was looking through mine yesterday and though I don't take that many and none of them are technically great, they all have a story behind them - I remember the moments they were taken at, what was going on, how I was feeling, etc.

So I thought it'd be cool to have a thread to share and discuss our pics and videos and the stories behind them. Share yours! Doesn't matter if they're blurry or far away, they're still representative of your experience.

I'll start. This was during the Minority solo at the Philadelphia show in 2013. I put my phone in a chest pocket (do not recommend, ended up with a huge bruise there) so I could take a few pics. I didn't want to whip it out every time Billie was in front of me, but I'm glad I did once because this photo reminds me so much of that show. Looking at it takes me back to how exhausted I was, because I got knocked out at the previous show and then waited in line all day in the cold, but how it was totally worth it and I somehow had boundless energy again once the band came on (and when it was time to run for the barrier, hehe). My mum and I went without heating all year to do this trip and man, that paid off. They were at their best and this picture brings all of that back.

90LLnM5.jpg

Another two that aren't so good but I like them, Mike and Billie in Phoenix 2010. I was totally overwhelmed by the reality of seeing my favourite band in the US and being this close to them for the first time. I was unwell back then and rarely left the house so travelling that far was huge for me, but it was so worth it and I guess these are representative to me of both recovery and the awesome experience of seeing GD there. I still get super excited when I look at them!

b8TMo4I.jpg   Soujeq4.jpg

One more. This is a really bad photo but it has a good story. I took it from first aid in Pittsburgh after getting knocked out and telling the paramedic "I'm just disappointed I lost my front row spot" when she asked if I was OK, and she said "that's what the last one said, too!". :lol: A lot of GDC already knows this, but still, shortly afterwards the band's security guy came to me with Mike's vest saying "Mike wants me to give you this", I responded "REALLY?" and he laughed and said "yes, really!". I can still see it all replaying in my head when I look at this photo.

LOc7Y4D.jpg

RC9IQgJ.jpg

So get sharing! It really doesn't matter if the photos/videos are "good" or not, or if you have a long story or just "I took this and really like it". Hopefully we'll also have more or first pics to share from the Revolution Radio tour very soon! :D 

(I was going to put this in Green Day Pictures but I feel it's more appropriate here because it's more personal and will have text posts - anyway, mods can move if they feel it's necessary.)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My pictures aren't very good either, and they all have the same story.  They are from the Geezer premier.

Right before the premier, my mother-in-law got sick.  She was very old, 91, and was really just failing.  She died the Wednesday before the premier and the funeral was scheduled for the day of the premier, about a 2 hour drive away.  I was really disappointed, but there wasn't much that I can do.  Then hubby told me that we will not miss the premier, life is for living.  So we left when the funeral was over, drove directly into the city and got on line in time to get a decent seat.  The movie was over and Billie was going to the stage for the performance.  Everyone started to storm the stage.  The guy sitting next to me shoved me so hard I went flying across the chairs.  Hubby elbowed the guy in the chest and told him to stay away from me, in a much more forceful way.  I ended up getting really close and no one came closer than 5 feet to me.  It was the most comfortable pit experience ever!  Hubby is a keeper

http://Tribeca 1.jpg

That's so cool but I'm so sorry to hear about your Mother in Law :(

This is a pic I took at the Phoenix show in 2010 (well in truth I took a 2 second video by accident and this is a screen shot from it!! D'oh!). We almost didn't make it to Phoenix. When we arrived in Washington for the connecting flight we got taken off into the immigration office/our bags taken from us and missed our flight to Phoenix! It was actually really scary. When I voiced my concerns about missing the connecting flight I was told "Your concern isn't a connecting flight its whether you will be admitted to the United States!". It did take forever. When they finally let us go we had to go to the airline desk who said “OK, here’s your new tickets. You’re going through Denver. You need to get outta here – all the flights are booked and you haven’t got much time, so when I give you these boarding passes you’re gonna run”. Happily we made it! On our way to the gate incredibly we actually bumped into Cone, the bassist from Sum 41, on his way to Switzerland and just had time to have a very quick chat to him before we all missed our flights! It was an absolutely amazing show and a random factoid is that it's the version of "Cigarettes & Valentines" that's on "Awesome as Fuck"! Billie did an amazing headstand/dance and said "I'd do anything for Arizona". It's on YouTube here: 

tumblr_oc3r0w1F0K1vdqibno1_540.jpg

In August 2013 we suddenly decided that we had to try to get to the Leeds Festival but only had enough money between us for one of us to go. It was decided that I was to be the lucky one. This was at about 3 pm in the afternoon on the day of the show and I had to get to Leeds from Nottingham by bus! It was touch and go and very nerve wracking. I had no idea how far the festival was from the centre of Leeds and whether I'd even make the start of GD's set. When I went to get my wristband one of the staff said "Didn't you know Green Day have cancelled!" and I almost cried! Turns out they were only joking and so I waded through the mud for what seemed like forever until I heard the start of "99 Revolutions" at which point I knew I'd just made it. I was singing along and picked my way down as close as I could get to the front on Mike's side and ended up about second row under the screen. These are some of the pics from my IG (I can't find my originals):

11312168_810535835681832_902652248_n.jpg

11288098_101541550184675_583972096_n.jpg

I got the night bus back to Nottingham with mud almost up to my waist (I've kept the clothes unwashed as a souvenier!) and got back home about 6 in the morning. I'm really proud of this moment (being one of the more senior members of the GD fandom!) 

This is a photo of the mud when I got home! I'd lost my shoes in the mud several times during my quest!

11254414_1598208743787106_1846490978_n.j

The only photos I've taken at a show were from my very first show in 2010, and I took them with my incredibly poor quality dumb-phone. All other shows I was in the pit/front row, so I didn't feel like taking pictures due to being worried about dropping my phone and due to my well-documented snobbery about watching a show through a camera lens haha.

These pictures were taken from the first row behind the pit at their stop in Buffalo New York in August 2010. They're shitty but oh well, they take me back :P spoilered because the quality is really shit hahaha

1383704_10204350395354341_67581493123228

This one was taken during Last Night on Earth, my FAVE!!!

10624564_10204350395274339_5297635523037

This one wasn't inside a show per se but it'll bring back vivid memories of Cleveland for @AlissaGoesRAWR @Khaleesi. @wood @Mar @Eva and @Z J!!!!

11156176_10205650425014270_5019998992253

@Maria Gloria This is a wonderful idea and what you saif about having your own photos is so true! Some people don't seem to understand that which is why they don't like phones at concerts and that's fine. I try to at least take a few pics at every show I go to and they're all filled with great memories. I will be sharing some of my GD ones later. And I love seeing what everyone is sharing. This is so great! And perfect timing when everyone is excited about GD.

Cool idea :) Here's some shots I took during the 99 Revolutions tour in Bologna :) I was so happy during that show, it was my third GD concert, but also the first one after after 4 years of waiting and 2 canceled shows. An amazing performance, and a cool story about this experience is that you can spot me somewhere in the 99 Revolutions official live video :D 

Great idea for a thread!

I took these at Brixton in 2013. I left work an hour early and got to Brixton just as doors opened. The queue was right around the building so I ended up standing about in the middle, but I found a couple of friends I didn't know would be there which was good. 

Brixton_Reading_Leeds_048.jpg

Brixton_Reading_Leeds_057.jpg

These are from Reading festival a couple of days later. I love how Billie is having so much fun covering the camera guy in loo roll and soaking him!

Brixton_Reading_Leeds_106.jpg

Brixton_Reading_Leeds_113.jpg

I ended up seeing Green Day 3 times in 4 days. I went to Brixton after work on the Wednesday, then got a train at 6am Thursday to get back to work, went home, ate and changed then got the train to Reading Thursday evening. Saw them at Reading Friday, drove up to Leeds with a few other GDCers overnight, and got a coach back home on the Saturday. I needed the bank holiday weekend to recover but it was totally worth it!

This is how muddy I was after Leeds, believe it or not the shorts are white again. Brittany also replied to my comment on her instagram after Leeds

Brixton_Reading_Leeds_121.jpg

Brit_reply.jpg

I hadn't looked through my photos for ages so this thread brought back lots of memories for me. I can't wait for tour dates to be announced and to see them again, its been too long.

16 minutes ago, stuart_and_the_ave said:

Great idea for a thread!

I took these at Brixton in 2013. I left work an hour early and got to Brixton just as doors opened. The queue was right around the building so I ended up standing about in the middle, but I found a couple of friends I didn't know would be there which was good. 

http://i.imgur.com/tWPi36D.jpg[/img]

http://i.imgur.com/J1hBDxY.jpg[/img]

These are from Reading festival a couple of days later. I love how Billie is having so much fun covering the camera guy in loo roll and soaking him!

http://i.imgur.com/PHiKA5i.jpg[/img]

http://i.imgur.com/59jcJkF.jpg[/img]

I ended up seeing Green Day 3 times in 4 days. I went to Brixton after work on the Wednesday, then got a train at 6am Thursday to get back to work, went home, ate and changed then got the train to Reading Thursday evening. Saw them at Reading Friday, drove up to Leeds with a few other GDCers overnight, and got a coach back home on the Saturday. I needed the bank holiday weekend to recover but it was totally worth it!

This is how muddy I was after Leeds, believe it or not the shorts are white again. Brittany also replied to my comment on her instagram after Leeds

http://i.imgur.com/dgic0T0.jpg[/img]

[url=http://imgur.com/acQAG3I][img]http://i.imgur.com/acQAG3I.jpg[/img][/url]

I hadn't looked through my photos for ages so this thread brought back lots of memories for me. I can't wait for tour dates to be announced and to see them again, its been too long.

None of your links work

4 hours ago, Z J said:

damn it's been a minute

3 hours ago, Brooklyn Baby said:

miss u <3 

miss u guys <3 

4 hours ago, Brooklyn Baby said:

miss u <3 

28 minutes ago, Khaleesi. said:

miss u guys <3 

I'm sure this tour will provide us with more GDC opportunities 

8 hours ago, Z J said:

I'm sure this tour will provide us with more GDC opportunities 

YES PLEASE

18 hours ago, stuart_and_the_ave said:

Great idea for a thread!

I remember meeting you in Leeds Bus Station, both of us covered in mud! Hadn't you missed the last bus back from Bramham Park and had to get a taxi (at great expense) back into town?

4 hours ago, basketcase4933 said:

I remember meeting you in Leeds Bus Station, both of us covered in mud! Hadn't you missed the last bus back from Bramham Park and had to get a taxi (at great expense) back into town?

Yes! I wasn't expecting you to be there so it was a lovely surprise to see you. I had missed the last bus, none of the staff at Leeds knew where the buses were and directed me to the opposite side of the site!! They were pretty useless. The taxi was pretty expensive but luckily I shared it with someone, and at that point I was just happy to be out of the rain and cold

On 18/08/2016 at 2:49 PM, kaylubd said:

@Maria Gloria This is a wonderful idea and what you saif about having your own photos is so true! Some people don't seem to understand that which is why they don't like phones at concerts and that's fine. I try to at least take a few pics at every show I go to and they're all filled with great memories. I will be sharing some of my GD ones later. And I love seeing what everyone is sharing. This is so great! And perfect timing when everyone is excited about GD.

Yeah! I do get not liking it when people film/photograph most of a show (though we all lap it up afterwards haha) but I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a few. I'd love to see your pics!

319940_10151589448154254_815350420_n.jpg

Taken 04/11/13 in Toronto Canada.

I cant wait to add more shows to my list

John Labbatt Centre, London Ont. 05/04/2005  ( sung Mike Happy birthday!)

Molson Amphitheater Toronto Ont. Ca 08/19/10 (walked a hour+ from our hotel)

Air Canada Centre Toronto Ont. Ca  04/11/13 (Finally got in the pit!)

hopefully they come back to London not that i mind visiting toronto.

I was so incredibly excited because it was my first time everything. First time in England, first time travelling by plane and first time seeing my favorite band. I met up with this girl, Emily I think, that I chatted up on Tumblr and we went together, although we lost each other during the show. I had no idea where the stage was, but I hoped it would be somewhere near my entrance but nope. It was at the other end of the stadium. So I basically had to run all the way from the back to the front. They didn't even control our bags because everybody just stormed through the door. The security everywhere were yelling after me: "Stop runnin' or we'll trip ya!" :lol: I wasn't first row or anything, but I was close enough to be in the huuuuge circle pit. I basically cheated my way further and further to the front by participating in every moshpit that I saw :D 

And it was an absolutely amazing experience. It was my first rock concert ever so I was absolutely amazed by the energy everywhere, my feet hurt like hell (the floor was evil) but I didn't feel them at all when Green Day played their show, I was so full of adrenaline and happiness that I didn't feel any pain. The day was absolutely perfect, the sun was shining and a little bit of rain came down every now and then, and cooled your face. At the end of the day my throat was sore from all the singing and shouting and I had lost my voice. I looked like an absolute mess and I felt like it but I was so incredibly happy. Every now and then during the show I had to just stop and take a moment to realize that I was in the middle of a Green Day concert, that they were real actual people and not just celebrities you admire from afar through youtube videos or magazines, and that I wasn't dreaming. Everything about that day was so perfect.

I've taken a lot of pictures that day but these are the prettiest / least blurry ones :) 

Spoiler

tumblr_oc7wpiCLJd1r5w7ofo1_540.jpgtumblr_oc7wpiCLJd1r5w7ofo2_540.jpgtumblr_oc7wpiCLJd1r5w7ofo3_540.jpgtumblr_oc7wpiCLJd1r5w7ofo5_540.jpgtumblr_oc7wpiCLJd1r5w7ofo6_540.jpgtumblr_oc7wpiCLJd1r5w7ofo7_540.jpgtumblr_oc7wpiCLJd1r5w7ofo4_540.jpg

IMG_20130328_203710_412_zpsn74pam7g.jpg

IMG_20130328_220535_297_zpslrjhujkm.jpg

IMG_20130328_220512_399_zpsors9p3j9.jpg

IMG_20130328_214626_904_zpspbpmhcyc.jpg

IMG_20130328_214609_022_zpsrhw1dbcy.jpg

IMG_20130328_212501_058%20-%20Copy_zpsjl

So here are some of my pictures. I took A LOT but these are probably the best. This concert was and will remain special to me for several different reasons, the biggest being it was the first time I saw Green Day live. I also thought it was special because it was the start of the tour and Billie made an impassioned speech about how happy he was that everyone was together in the room, all the love that was flowing through, and how he wouldn't want it any other way. It wasn't a perfect show, but I could just tell he was so happy to be doing well again and getting back on stage. I loved every minute of the show. Every song was perfect, the band was so playful, and they sounded amazing. I always look at these pics and just think I finally did it. I finally saw one of my favorite bands and I hope I get to do so again. Honestly, most of the concert is a blur, that's how excited I was. My gf had to make sure I didn't fall over! But it was a night I'll never forget. I can't wait to relive the magic whenever they announce their next tour.

Actually, here is my favorite moment of the show (i didn't film this)

This moment is special because he was so impassioned and it was after he finished rehab so it just felt like a very special, emotional time and we were all there to share it with him. It was amazing.

2 hours ago, lizziebix said:

@kaylubd Next time their in Chicago we have to meet up (along with everyone else) like before.  Promise?!!

Yes please! I want to go to the last meet up but I don't think I could make it out there. But I would love to meet everyone! :D

Such a nice idea for a thread! :)

I'll start with some of my favorite pictures from Mainz in 2010. I just started to live out my dedication for this band and to get to know other fans out of the Green Day family. This was the first time I managed to get the barrier and it was an overall wonderful experience. I still remember this show as one of the best ones I've ever been to. The band felt so close and so much into it and the connection was amazing. I was completely blown away by it.

180376_164565173593665_1805911_n.jpg?oh=

182037_164565243593658_5951497_n.jpg?oh=

180978_164565043593678_7420157_n.jpg?oh=

579594_4607048500830_631356220_n.jpg?oh=

@AlissaGoesRAWR, @Laura! and our friends waited 9 hours in the rain for barrier in Pittsburgh on Easter 2013. Laura had won this little yellow guy, christened BJ, of course, in a skill crane the day before and decided to throw him onstage, and Billie sang with him and said "this thing smells good" and threw it back. I can't say I've met any of the guys, but I guess I've touched BIllie's sweat :lol: 

You can see it at 5:00 in this video:

And then this is one I took during the Sweet Children show. I did OK in the pit during their set, but then I got way too warm in the break between Sweet Children and GD, so I bailed during BOBD :lol: but I love the smile on Billie's face.

12902_10203955589876699_8071328871240166

Archived