Revolution Radio Promotion and Commercial Performance

Dakke

1 hour ago, Jonas01 said:

The tour wrapped up 2-3 months ago and still STILL this is the first tour i can think of we have had and not got any like professional DVD live album. I mean during the AI tour we had BIAB of course. ANd then the 21st CB tour we had AAF movie + live album as same as the BIAB. And then we had the trilogy area where we had far more live footage AND a DVD showing us the creation behind the albums. ANd now we have just finished one of their biggest tours and greatest in my opnion and its one hell of a shame that we dont have a live DVD or live album ,preferrably both. Shame on you both GD and the GD team. Hugely dissapointed. 

I really wasn't expecting a live album for this tour. This whole era has been much more intimate, not as big as their other recent eras like the AI, 21CB or trilogy eras. I mean the album was their shortest work since Warning (counting all 3 trilogy albums as one work), the album was self produced and done with as little people and in a small studio, the tour wasn't as long as the AI or 21CB tours, there weren't as many shows.

And really, if there was another live album, we'd basically get more of the same songs we already have on the other live albums. All their greatest hits. I mean, only like 6 or 7 of the new songs were played live. I mean, even AAF got some criticism that some of the songs were already on BIAB. That would've been even more of an issue on a 3rd live album. 

I think the entire point of this era is that it wasn't supposed to be a massive project like the rock operas or the trilogy were. The album was described as "not so much a makeover as a make under". I'd assume the tour would be the same. I wouldn't say it was one of their "biggest" tours.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Grubby Poop said:

Just the idea of having to sit through Dave Grohl warbling for 2 hours just to see GD makes my stomach turn

You don’t want to listen to Dave Grohl say “fuck” every other word!!?? No I completely get you. It’s not that I’m saying that they should tour with the Fuck Fighters, they could tour with several other bands to help turn heads and get people to come see them that wouldn’t normally come see them. When I saw Kiss and Def Leppard together I know a few people that didn’t really like kiss before and that would have never gone to kiss show were saying that they would see them whenever they came through again. And Def Leppard was doing fine before that tour but now they are doing amazing. And it’s not that coheadling tours are for washed up bands. Gun N Roses and Metallica toured together in the 90s. 

To be be honest though. Green Day would probably be opening for the Foo Fighters 

13 hours ago, Cunt said:

If they did say a tour with the Foo Fighter or The Killers to prove that they are the best live band again like they did with Blink 182 back in 2002. They gotta do something to turn some heads besides release another political album. 

Green Day have turned many heads with their RevRad tour, even with their relatively small promotion, and touring without co-headlining. At Hyde Park last year the audience in the front ended up booing Rancid near the end of their set (I was seeing them for the 1st time and kinda enjoying, though) and started screaming "Green Day" in repeat... It is true that many people aren't even aware that GD are still around and in such a shape, but this isn't a matter for the band to prove anything... For people who have got to see them live during this tour, it certainly makes no doubt they are (still) the best live band. I've even read it from several reviewers about various gigs of this tour. 

So yeah, I only wish Green Day even more success and to be more known for what they do currently, and I believe they'd do well in some co-headlining (like we've seen at Global Citizen festival in September last year), but I don't believe that's a must for their next album's promoting tour, as to get more audience and show they're the best. I know they are, but I neither don't want to be forced to see another big band, that I may happen not to like, in order to see GD during their next tour. I'd see them with any other artists if I had to, but I only want to see them, and I want them to have all the time they want, as they usually do.

4 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

And really, if there was another live album, we'd basically get more of the same songs we already have on the other live albums. All their greatest hits. I mean, only like 6 or 7 of the new songs were played live. I mean, even AAF got some criticism that some of the songs were already on BIAB. That would've been even more of an issue on a 3rd live album. 

Still Breathing, Forever Now, Bang Bang, Revolution Radio, Youngblood, and even perhaps Too Dumb To Die and Troubled Times on a live album, even along with other hits that are already on previous live DVD, come on! :wub: Their performances of all songs during this era have been outstanding. A live DVD from all that would be much more of a joy then an issue for the fandom in general.

4 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I think the entire point of this era is that it wasn't supposed to be a massive project like the rock operas or the trilogy were. The album was described as "not so much a makeover as a make under". I'd assume the tour would be the same. I wouldn't say it was one of their "biggest" tours.

I can see regarding which points you say this (even though I'm not sure to agree), but it was their best tour. :wub:

4 hours ago, Kuromignonne said:

Green Day have turned many heads with their RevRad tour, even with their relatively small promotion, and touring without co-headlining. At Hyde Park last year the audience in the front ended up booing Rancid near the end of their set (I was seeing them for the 1st time and kinda enjoying, though) and started screaming "Green Day" in repeat... It is true that many people aren't even aware that GD are still around and in such a shape, but this isn't a matter for the band to prove anything... For people who have got to see them live during this tour, it certainly makes no doubt they are (still) the best live band. I've even read it from several reviewers about various gigs of this tour. 

So yeah, I only wish Green Day even more success and to be more known for what they do currently, and I believe they'd do well in some co-headlining (like we've seen at Global Citizen festival in September last year), but I don't believe that's a must for their next album's promoting tour, as to get more audience and show they're the best. I know they are, but I neither don't want to be forced to see another big band, that I may happen not to like, in order to see GD during their next tour. I'd see them with any other artists if I had to, but I only want to see them, and I want them to have all the time they want, as they usually do.

I completely agree. I just think that sometime in the next 10 years that would be something to consider for them. They are and always will have amazing numbers in the UK and Europe. The music Indus has changed a lot and rock bands need to tour with other bands headlining acts or intermediate acts to even sell out arenas and amphitheaters. Green Day did pretty good on there own with two bands that are by no means major in the US so props to them. 

5 hours ago, Kuromignonne said:

Still Breathing, Forever Now, Bang Bang, Revolution Radio, Youngblood, and even perhaps Too Dumb To Die and Troubled Times on a live album, even along with other hits that are already on previous live DVD, come on! :wub: Their performances of all songs during this era have been outstanding. A live DVD from all that would be much more of a joy then an issue for the fandom in general.

I can see regarding which points you say this (even though I'm not sure to agree), but it was their best tour. :wub:

Wow, booing Rancid near the end of their set? I know it wasn't you specifically but man...tough crowd. Believe me, my allegiance is with Green Day 100%, but I'm happy to wait through a few Rancid songs first. And I've seen Rancid before- they are a great live band. That's actually disappointing to me as my dream US tour would be Rancid/ Green Day. I hope Rancid wasn't turned off by this.

18 hours ago, Kuromignonne said:

booing rancid?? damn good thing i'm nowhere near hyde park then i love rancid i wouldve been so pissed off. also would like to note welcome to paradise was never actually on a live album! it was on the DVD version of AAF but the audio version of the album had When I Come Around not Paradise.

There’s plenty of songs that they played throughout the last tour that  haven’t made it onto any live album that could be put on a new compilation live album, such as:

during arena tour:

-welcome to paradise 

-paper lanterns (though it was available as a AAF iTunes bonus track)

-2000 Light Years Away (though also available as AAF bonus track)

-Christie Road (partial and also available as AAF bonus track)

-Stuck with me

-Coming Clean

-Scattered 

-Waiting

-F.O.D

-Nice Guys Finish Last

-Jaded

-Nuclear Family 

and just from RevRad:

-Bang Bang

-RevRad

-Too Dumb Too Die

-Youngblood

-Still Breathing

-Forever Now

-Ordinary World

Not to mention the club tour, where they played stuff like:

-Stuart and the Avenue

-Private Ale

-Armatage Shanks 

-409 in Your Coffee Maker

-Brat

-One of My Lies

And there’s also still that 2015 House of Blues show they could release in full. So there’s definitely plenty of stuff that they could release on a (compilation) live album.

On 7/2/2018 at 2:58 PM, Jonas01 said:

The tour wrapped up 2-3 months ago and still STILL this is the first tour i can think of we have had and not got any like professional DVD live album. I mean during the AI tour we had BIAB of course. ANd then the 21st CB tour we had AAF movie + live album as same as the BIAB. And then we had the trilogy area where we had far more live footage AND a DVD showing us the creation behind the albums. ANd now we have just finished one of their biggest tours and greatest in my opnion and its one hell of a shame that we dont have a live DVD or live album ,preferrably both. Shame on you both GD and the GD team. Hugely dissapointed. 

Green Day were around long before AI and have had a lot more tours without a live DVD than they have had with a live DVD. It is more common that there is no official live stuff related to the tour.

52 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

There’s plenty of songs that they played throughout the last tour that  haven’t made it onto any live album that could be put on a new compilation live album, such as:

during arena tour:

-welcome to paradise 

-paper lanterns (though it was available as a AAF iTunes bonus track)

-2000 Light Years Away (though also available as AAF bonus track)

-Christie Road (partial and also available as AAF bonus track)

-Stuck with me

-Coming Clean

-Scattered 

-Waiting

-F.O.D

-Nice Guys Finish Last

-Jaded

-Nuclear Family 

and just from RevRad:

-Bang Bang

-RevRad

-Too Dumb Too Die

-Youngblood

-Still Breathing

-Forever Now

-Ordinary World

Not to mention the club tour, where they played stuff like:

-Stuart and the Avenue

-Private Ale

-Armatage Shanks 

-409 in Your Coffee Maker

-Brat

-One of My Lies

And there’s also still that 2015 House of Blues show they could release in full. So there’s definitely plenty of stuff that they could release on a (compilation) live album.

Yeah but most of those songs wouldn't be put on a live album because they're not greatest hits or live staples. If another live album were to be released, I'm sure it'd just be more of the same songs on BIAB and AAF.

Out of all those songs, I could see maybe 5 or 6 of the RevRad songs being on it, Welcome to Paradise and Waiting. The rest would just be what we've already heard on the other live albums.

From a business point of view, is there a huge demand for another live album? I could see a DVD of a special show such as Hyde Park, although none of the shows on this tour were properly filmed in full 

17 hours ago, TimmyChunks said:

Wow, booing Rancid near the end of their set? I know it wasn't you specifically but man...tough crowd. Believe me, my allegiance is with Green Day 100%, but I'm happy to wait through a few Rancid songs first. And I've seen Rancid before- they are a great live band. That's actually disappointing to me as my dream US tour would be Rancid/ Green Day. I hope Rancid wasn't turned off by this.

4 hours ago, imXieli said:

booing rancid?? damn good thing i'm nowhere near hyde park then i love rancid i wouldve been so pissed off. 

Indeed it wasn't me at all booing, I just happened to be quite close to the stage and part of the audience in the first rows, very near the end of Rancid's set, started screaming "Green Day" and booing, probably not so loud at the scale of the audience, but loud enough that Tim Armstrong briefly stopped and said something about it (I don't remember what exactly, it was not aggressive but annoyed) and then he said they would still play one last song; and they gave themselves in it. I was surprised as well because it was my first time seeing that band, it wasn't exactly the type of music I would love at first listen but still I was enjoying, for the very least they were definitely entertaining to watch perform live. I remember to have applauded several times to them (while until some point I was thinking, I need to save my energy for Green Day, but with Rancid I really wanted to applause so I said fuck it and clapped my hands as strong as I could :D)  

Finally, Billie too said a word about this near the end of the concert (without naming Rancid but I had no doubt, after witnessing it, that the crowd's attitude was for something in it): 

• 2 weeks later...

Still today a big shame that we finished one of Gd's best tours ever without a movie. Shame.

On 8.2.2018 at 8:34 PM, Alan86 said:

Green Day were around long before AI and have had a lot more tours without a live DVD than they have had with a live DVD. It is more common that there is no official live stuff related to the tour.

Still a bad thing. Look at Metallica's FB and YT channel. Now that is how you do it. 

On 08/02/2018 at 10:05 PM, Kuromignonne said:

Indeed it wasn't me at all booing, I just happened to be quite close to the stage and part of the audience in the first rows, very near the end of Rancid's set, started screaming "Green Day" and booing, probably not so loud at the scale of the audience, but loud enough that Tim Armstrong briefly stopped and said something about it (I don't remember what exactly, it was not aggressive but annoyed) and then he said they would still play one last song; and they gave themselves in it. I was surprised as well because it was my first time seeing that band, it wasn't exactly the type of music I would love at first listen but still I was enjoying, for the very least they were definitely entertaining to watch perform live. I remember to have applauded several times to them (while until some point I was thinking, I need to save my energy for Green Day, but with Rancid I really wanted to applause so I said fuck it and clapped my hands as strong as I could :D)  

Finally, Billie too said a word about this near the end of the concert (without naming Rancid but I had no doubt, after witnessing it, that the crowd's attitude was for something in it): 

I was at the front and totally didn’t hear this !! My freind next to me loved rancid !! 

4 hours ago, Jonas01 said:

Still today a big shame that we finished one of Gd's best tours ever without a movie. Shame.

Still a bad thing. Look at Metallica's FB and YT channel. Now that is how you do it

Well that’s a different point, and Metallica choose to do it that way. That’s the freedom that comes with having no label to answer to. Metallica is a unique case though and they really do give everything to the fans(at a price). 

On 8.2.2018 at 8:34 PM, Alan86 said:

But the times are different today than in the 90s. The moving image is much more important now in times of Youtube etc. Bands don't earn money by selling CDs anymore, and videos become more and more important to stay relevant. If they didn't plan a live DVD and if a live DVD wouldn't sell well enough - fine. But then they could have easily given permission to the festivals to broadcast their show online. The Southside and Hurricane festivals in Germany (and I'm sure many more) wanted to stream their shows, but their management didn't allow it. Highlights of their Hyde Park show could have been at least featured on TV in the UK. But they didn't give permission to anything, we didn't get anything (apart from very few exceptions like Pink Pop, which were also only a bunch of songs).

They deserve to be seen because they are better than ever live, and I just want people to see that they are the best live band around at the moment. I just don't get their policy because I'm sure they could win new fans if they released more pro-shot footage and if they had a working marketing system. And as much as I love the idea of God's Favorite Band, it should have been a live DVD or at least a live album instead.

2 hours ago, Thatsername said:

But the times are different today than in the 90s. The moving image is much more important now in times of Youtube etc. Bands don't earn money by selling CDs anymore, and videos become more and more important to stay relevant. If they didn't plan a live DVD and if a live DVD wouldn't sell well enough - fine. But then they could have easily given permission to the festivals to broadcast their show online. The Southside and Hurricane festivals in Germany (and I'm sure many more) wanted to stream their shows, but their management didn't allow it. Highlights of their Hyde Park show could have been at least featured on TV in the UK. But they didn't give permission to anything, we didn't get anything (apart from very few exceptions like Pink Pop, which were also only a bunch of songs).

They deserve to be seen because they are better than ever live, and I just want people to see that they are the best live band around at the moment. I just don't get their policy because I'm sure they could win new fans if they released more pro-shot footage and if they had a working marketing system. And as much as I love the idea of God's Favorite Band, it should have been a live DVD or at least a live album instead.

That’s all personal opinion and a completely different point to what I made. I’m not saying you are wrong because I agree with a lot of what you said, it’s just a different point.

My point was that Green Day have been around since before AI and it is more common for Green Day to not release a tour DVD than it is for them to release a tour DVD.

Look at the post I responded to.

17 hours ago, luketrebilliemike said:

I was at the front and totally didn’t hear this !! My freind next to me loved rancid !! 

It came from part of the audience in the front rows, on the left; it was quite small at the scale of the audience (possibly very small, I heard it because I was just next to it) but enough for the band to notice it (briefly). I don't know what happened all the front row long, but all the better if it wasn't like this everywhere, I enjoyed Rancid as well! 

• 3 months later...

So it's been a while since anyone's posted on this thread but I was curious so I just thought I'd update how the RR songs have done at this point, over 18 months since their release, just in case anyone is interested.

Somewhere Now at 7.66m spotify streams
Bang Bang at 40.91m spotify streams and 24.74m YouTube views (Music + lyric videos)
Revolution Radio at 22.69m spotify streams and 19.32m YouTube views (Music + lyric videos)
Say Goodbye at 8.98m spotify streams and 6.83m YouTube views (lyric)
Outlaws at 7.3m spotify streams
Bouncing off the Walls at 6.4m spotify streams
Still Breathing at 42.69m spotify streams and 31.36m YouTube views (Music + lyric videos)
Youngblood at 9.1m spotify streams and 4.57m YouTube views (lyric)
Too Dumb To Die at 7.06m spotify streams and 5.02m YouTube views (lyric)
Troubled Times at 7.94m spotify streams and 6.48m YouTube views (lyric)
Forever Now at 6.96m spotify streams
Ordinary World at 10.27m spotify streams and 4.75m YouTube views (lyric)

So Still Breathing is the most successful song of the album at this stage with the most streams and views on Spotify and YouTube, followed by Bang Bang. That might come as a surprise to some people who may have thought Bang Bang was the bigger hit

The Spotify streams for every song are significantly better now than they were months ago. In fact, they're over double what they were in March of 2017 as you can see here.

https://chartmasters.org/2017/03/cspc-green-day-popularity-analysis/26/

I don't really find Spotify plays that helpful - especially now the album hype has died. The vast majority of those plays and views are fans returning to those albums rather than the album growing

About dvd and promotional stuff, you have to understand that Green Day likes the DIY approach a lot and they don't have a team for videos and such (as Metallica does, for example)

Filming, recording, mixing, mastering, design is a long and hard, high time consuming task. Don't mention the money involved. That's why we don't see very often a new release. And why reissues for Kerplunk and Nimrod don't have any new stuff. 

Sad for us, but also is kind of coo because you appreciate a lot more the things they do when they release something new. If that ever happens :lol:

1 hour ago, greendepent said:

About dvd and promotional stuff, you have to understand that Green Day likes the DIY approach a lot and they don't have a team for videos and such (as Metallica does, for example)

Filming, recording, mixing, mastering, design is a long and hard, high time consuming task. Don't mention the money involved. That's why we don't see very often a new release. And why reissues for Kerplunk and Nimrod don't have any new stuff. 

Sad for us, but also is kind of coo because you appreciate a lot more the things they do when they release something new. If that ever happens :lol:

Metallicas videos aren't ridiculously edited or anything - they're essentially soundboard audio with the video that had been on the screens during the show

GD could also really easily release soundboard audio from shows like RHCP do

I'm really wondering what the next album will be like. I feel like RevRad was a perfect way to follow the trilogy, I liked that it was self produced in a small studio without the label knowing about it, but I don't want them to do that every time. I like that it was a mix of epic green day and classic green day, and I liked that it charted well but wasn't super huge. the tours were great and Billie seems really happy, I'm so glad that he's in a good place now. If every Green Day  album from here on out was like Revrad, I wouldn't be disappointed. It's nowhere near my favorite album, but it's good, most bands that have this long of a career don't have material this good! I still think the greatest hits release back in the fall was uncalled for, especially since they didn't promote it. If they would have used it as a platform to tour more or do more interviews and tv performances then cool, I love seeing them do that stuff, but I would have rather seen them end the revrad era differently. After seeing the Longshot last weekend, I'm definitely making it a goal to see Green Day at a theater show for the next album!

11 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Metallicas videos aren't ridiculously edited or anything - they're essentially soundboard audio with the video that had been on the screens during the show

GD could also really easily release soundboard audio from shows like RHCP do

I agree that are quite simple videos, but you have to think in how much they are. Counting the "Fifth member exclusives", there are over 100 videos from only the last tour. Also, the most videos posted in their social media are recorded with handheld cameras, so editing starts from zero.

Also, the audio mixing is not that "really easy". Their current sdb have its flaws there and there. Even they had for a time the team who mixed their last record to re-do some shows and the results are different.

In short, the amount of money to keep something like that running is not low. Knowing how they like keep the things low, is very unlikely to happen, sadly.

1 hour ago, greendepent said:

I agree that are quite simple videos, but you have to think in how much they are. Counting the "Fifth member exclusives", there are over 100 videos from only the last tour. Also, the most videos posted in their social media are recorded with handheld cameras, so editing starts from zero.

Also, the audio mixing is not that "really easy". Their current sdb have its flaws there and there. Even they had for a time the team who mixed their last record to re-do some shows and the results are different.

In short, the amount of money to keep something like that running is not low. Knowing how they like keep the things low, is very unlikely to happen, sadly.

It doesn't have to be mixed to perfection, RHCP's isn't - but it's a simple way to get live recordings out and charge fans a few pounds/dollars to get it for their show.

On 5/31/2018 at 10:05 AM, Joe. said:

I don't really find Spotify plays that helpful - especially now the album hype has died. The vast majority of those plays and views are fans returning to those albums rather than the album growing

Streaming is the main source of music for most people nowadays. Less and less people buy physical copies, so seeing a large increase in streaming. 1500 streams are now equivalent of an album unit so streaming is vital for an album's success, even if most of it is just fans returning to it.

But still, it's much higher now than the streams of the trilogy albums. The track with the best streams on the trilogy is Oh Love at only 17.5m streams. And while the streaming for the trilogy has also increased, it's not been at the same rate as RR. So I consider this a rebound from the trilogy which was a commercial failure and I think over time, RR will sell more and get more streams than the trilogy, eventually overtaking Uno in sales

Archived