Revolution Radio Promotion and Commercial Performance

Dakke

2 hours ago, WalrusGumboot said:

I sincerely do not understand this crazy desire most of you have for yet another live album/film. They are playing relatively the same exact setlist that they've been playing for years. Why on earth would they release ANOTHER album of the same live songs? That makes no sense. 

You also realize that it's not commercially viable to release a live record now, right? Who are they planning to sell it to? Just their "hardcore fans" or whatever? Your average joe is not going to go out and purchase or stream a live Green Day album.

I disagree. A live DVD doesn't mean they are printing a whole setlist of a tour on a disc. Look at Awesome as Fuck, it has 18 songs from a setlist with an average of 30 songs back then. Bullet in a Bible has 14. So a live DVD is a collection of highlights of a tour. During the RevRad tour we heard at least 6 RevRad songs that have never been on any live footage before. Plus, songs like Letterbomb are neither on AAF nor on BIAB (which is a shame because it's one of the best live songs for me). Same with Knowledge, which is always a highlight for me because taking fans on stage is the heart and soul of a Green Day show. So I think there is a lot of great material from this tour that would be damn worth a live DVD. Plus, the boys are more on fire than ever - way better than during the AI era if you ask me. Considering all of this, a new live DVD after a whole proper world tour six years after the last concert movie IS a pretty good reason imo.

I agree that a DVD probably wouldn't sell that great. But if they're not planning a live DVD, they should give us some footage on Youtube or whatever. It just makes no sense to give us neither the one nor the other option. We deserve more. Green Day deserves more.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, WalrusGumboot said:

Isn't there pro-shot footage of every new song they're playing live now already on YouTube? From television performances and other promotional appearances they made when the album came out? I'm not trying to be a dick, but it just doesn't make sense to me. None of us are entitled to anything. We don't "deserve" anything. 

I have been a fan of this band for over 20 years. In all of that time, I have never seen people make such a big deal out of the smallest things. 

I wish!

I don't think we're entitled to anything at all, I think it's mostly frustration that they're not promoting themselves more by releasing live footage (the live DVD talk is stemming from trying to think of reasons why they're not.) The Bohemian Rhapsody singalong went viral so I guess we're just thinking of the impact a real piece of pro-shot gig footage could make. Of course we don't have to get anything, but we want it because it's our band and, like pacejunkie punk said, we naturally want to see them do well. Especially when other bands of similar stature are playing around with ways of providing gig footage. 

10 minutes ago, WalrusGumboot said:

Isn't there pro-shot footage of every new song they're playing live now already on YouTube? From television performances and other promotional appearances they made when the album came out? I'm not trying to be a dick, but it just doesn't make sense to me. None of us are entitled to anything. We don't "deserve" anything. 

I have been a fan of this band for over 20 years. In all of that time, I have never seen people make such a big deal out of the smallest things. 

For me personally, I have gone to three shows this tour and would STILL love to see them release a live DVD of some sort. There is pro-shot footage of every new song, yes, but I would really love to relive a true concert experience again through video. Like with BIAB and AAF, it was like you were at the show, and it was great. I still find clips from the shows I was at to relive the experiences I had that night. I also can sense some frustration given that many other big bands (Metallica for example) release a lot more live footage than Green Day, so to me, I begin to think "if it is so easy for them to release all that live footage, why can't Green Day?"

I don't think anyone here really thinks we deserve a concert DVD, it is just stems from the frustration that I mentioned earlier. As the tour comes to an end, a concert DVD is the next thing we can hope for in terms of release, because I assume if they were to release a DVD, it would come out before a new album.

I don't expect GD to do a live DVD, but as the Rev Rad era is the 1st era in which I have been a fan of GD it would be a pleasant surprise to have some form of live footage (even footage uploaded onto YouTube) that I can look back on in years to come. This era has meant a lot to me and I'd appreciate something I can watch again and again to relive this exciting era. 

RevRad chart positions this week

Alternative: No. 22, same as last week
Rock Airplay: No. 31, same as last week
Mainstream: Down to 25 from 22 last week

Not sure if anyone still cares about this, but I came across this post in a forum. It says that Revolution Radio is on fiftieth position on the list of the highest selling records of 2016 with 600,000 pure sales in 2016 only:

https://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=31093&sid=6d38860ae0385c772a4d6eff37c03460&start=225

BB Boxscores

12 Green Day, The Interrupters Rod Laver Arena Melbourne, Australia May 5-6, 2017 $1,924,760 20,044 /
20,044 2 / 2 $110.42,

$85.53 Frontier Touring

@CherryBombs&Gasoline this is taken from your post what does the underline bit mean

2 hours ago, SHART said:

BB Boxscores

12 Green Day, The Interrupters Rod Laver Arena Melbourne, Australia May 5-6, 2017 $1,924,760 20,044 /
20,044 2 / 2 $110.42,

$85.53 Frontier Touring

@CherryBombs&Gasoline this is taken from your post what does the underline bit mean

I've got no idea :D

I just read the last post which says that 600,000 units of RevRad werde sold in 2016. I'm not a member of this forum, I only found it a couple of months ago when I was trying to find out about the sales numbers of RevRad. However, I don't really care anymore because I've come to the point were I think that sales numbers are more or less irrelevant :D

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jonas01 said:

Does anyone know if there are any news on the American Idiot movie? 

Nothing. I'll be very surprised if it happens.

17 minutes ago, Jane Lannister said:

Nothing. I'll be very surprised if it happens.

Then why did Billie say back in November that it's happening and there are a few rewrites and been given a green light by HBO

9 minutes ago, Jonas01 said:

Then why did Billie say back in November that it's happening and there are a few rewrites and been given a green light by HBO

Because he's a notorious liar 

15 minutes ago, Jonas01 said:

That may very well be true, but there are still lots of ways movie projects can get tied up and fall into development hell. Until there is a casting announcement, assume nothing. It could be stuck in endless rewrites and never move forward.

This may be a bit misleading since all the stadium and bigger shows were in the summer so the second half may gross more than the first?  Interesting to see how they stack up against other rock arena acts though.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/articles/features/these_are_15_top_grossing_rock_tours_mid-year_2017-68189

7. Green Day - $38.1 Million

Billie Joe Armstrong fronted band is currently on a tour which kicked off in September last year and will have around 120 shows until its wrapping up in November 2017. With 36 shows in total in the first half of this year and average of 12,656 people in the crowd per show, he climbed up to 7th position on this list with $38.1 million.

Interesting how the leading acts (which lead by a lot) are all "older" bands that generally attract an older crowd. Middle-aged people dish out more money and go to more shows it seems, which makes sense logically. Also, those top bands have ticket prices that average over $100 just for crummy seats. I got right next to the stage for $65 for Green Day. People forget that tour gross isn't necessarily attendance-dependent; higher ticket prices = higher gross. Anyway, so many factors play into these rankings. U2 and GNR are playing football stadiums and Green Day was generally playing mid-level venues during the first leg of their tour. RHCP played 17 more gigs in the first half of 2017 than GD and made $17 million more. I give props to U2 for selling out 60k+ arenas, but boy I've never met someone who likes U2. Of course, I'd see them live if their prices weren't so high.

Actually, that's precisely what prevented me from going to see bands like GnR, Rolling Stones, Kings of Leon (though I don't even really like them) etc. at my local stadium. The ticket prices were just too horrendously high each time. For example: I think a propper standing ticket anywhere near close to the stage for GnR cost something like 600+ Dollars (about equivalent to my local currency: swiss francs). So yeah, going to see Green Day was a bargain each time. And people like to say Green Day are sellouts... :dry:

2 hours ago, MillenniumFan said:

Actually, that's precisely what prevented me from going to see bands like GnR, Rolling Stones, Kings of Leon (though I don't even really like them) etc. at my local stadium. The ticket prices were just too horrendously high each time. For example: I think a propper standing ticket anywhere near close to the stage for GnR cost something like 600+ Dollars (in my local currency: swiss francs). So yeah, going to see Green Day was a bargain each time. And people like to say Green Day are sellouts... :dry:

Yeah I know, it's crazy. I went to see the Rolling Stones because I love them and just wanted to see them, but I went to Austria because the cheapest tickets there were 100€ while the cheapest tickets for all the shows in Germany were at least 200€ :fuckyou: And they have a diamond circle and a golden circle, I don't even want to imagine the prices there, so no chance to come close to them with a standard ticket. So no, we can definitely not complain about ticket prices at GD shows.

Last time I looked, Metallica tickets we’re in the region of £140 so to just compare  income from tickets doesn’t really mean much to me.

Everything is expensive in OZ - I just paid $250 for a PINK ticket in the exact same section as my Killers ticket which was $150.

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:47 PM, SHART said:

Everything is expensive in OZ - I just paid $250 for a PINK ticket in the exact same section as my Killers ticket which was $150.

Wow, that's going to put concert going way out of lots of folks reach, especially if you need to travel and stay over somewhere, there is no way kids could afford that, shame.

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:45 AM, MillenniumFan said:

And people like to say Green Day are sellouts... :dry:

Exactly!  I really admire that they work to keep their ticket prices reasonable, and it really shows in their crowds I think.  What possible motive do GnR, U2 etc have for charging what they do other than to make as much as possible from each tour, they can't possibly need more money as individuals?  I get a tour is an expensive thing to organise and have no problem with everyone making money but there is a point where these bands are just taking the piss imho.

• 2 weeks later...

According to my estimates, RR UK sales are over 99k (US 240k). It will be eligible for the gold status in a few weeks, let's hope it gets certified soon!

New box office numbers-

Rank- 15

Artist/Event- Green Day, Catfish and the Bottlemen

Venue- Wrigley Field 

City/State- Chicago, IL

Event Dates- August 24, 2017

Gross Sales- $1,901,635

Attend/ Capacity- 32,491/42,442

Shows/Sellouts- 1/0

Prices- $79.50, $39.50

Rank- 68

Venue- BB&T Pavillion

City/State- Camden, NJ

Event Dates- August 31, 2017

Gross Sales- $827,498

Attend/ Capacity- 21,846/25,051

Shows/Sellouts- 1/0

Prices- $69.50, $39.50

Rank- 75

Venue- Xfinity Center

City/State- Mansfield, MA

Event Dates- August 28, 2017

Gross Sales- $778,047

Attend/ Capacity- 11,922/14,265

Shows/Sellouts- 1/0

Prices- $69.50, $39.50

Rank- 81

Venue- Coral Sky Amphitheatre

City/State- West Palm Beach, FL

Event Dates- September 3, 2017

Gross Sales- $718,317

Attend/ Capacity- 18,103/19,503

Shows/Sellouts- 1/0

Prices- $69.50, $39.50

Rank- 98

Venue- Blossom Music Center

City/State- Cuyahoga Falls, OH

Event Dates- August 21, 2017

Gross Sales- $587,305

Attend/ Capacity- 13,428/20,917

Shows/Sellouts- 1/0

Prices- $69.50, $39.50

Rank- 99

Venue- Darien Lake Performing Arts Center

City/State- Darien Center, NY

Event Dates- August 26, 2017

Gross Sales- $580,963

Attend/ Capacity- 14,850/21,752

Shows/Sellouts- 1/0

Prices- $69.50, $39.50

Rank- 13

Venue- MidFlorida Credit Union Amphitheatre

City/State- Tampa, FL

Event Dates- September 5, 2017

Gross Sales- $571,188

Attend/ Capacity- 12,316/18,848

Shows/Sellouts- 1/0

Prices- $69.50, $39.50

Rank- 104

Venue- CenturyLink Center

City/State- Omaha, NE

Event Dates- August 12, 2017

Gross Sales- $554,002

Attend/ Capacity- 9,204/15,006

Shows/Sellouts- 1/0

Prices- $69.50, $39.50

Rank- 110

Venue- Klipsch Music Center

City/State- Noblesville, IN

Event Dates- August 16, 2017

Gross Sales- $517,847

Attend/ Capacity- 13,191/24,373

Shows/Sellouts- 1/0

Prices- $69.50, $39.50

Rank- 111

Venue- Coastal Credit Union Music Park at Walnut Creek

City/State- Raleigh, NC

Event Dates- September 1, 2017

Gross Sales- $511,658

Attend/ Capacity- 13,291/19,930

Shows/Sellouts- 1/0

Prices- $69.50, $39.50

I’m almost certain after doing this tour, even though they did profit from it, they’ll probably sit down with management and talk about refreshing their live act, because these numbers are still depressing. You can rationalise it all you want, but this is Green Day and they should be able to sell out an arena / small-medium amphitheatre!

2 hours ago, MillenniumFan said:

I’m almost certain after doing this tour, even though they did profit from it, they’ll probably sit down with management and talk about refreshing their live act, because these numbers are still depressing. You can rationalise it all you want, but this is Green Day and they should be able to sell out an arena / small-medium amphitheatre!

Let us pray💩👑👑👑👑👑

Archived