Revolution Radio Promotion and Commercial Performance

Dakke

I can see them playing at iHeart again. It would be a nice "we're sorry for the mess" kinda thing for their fans there and it'd get a lot of social media buzz -- imagine the headlines "Green Day comes back to iHeart 4 years after meltdown" bla bla bla. Not sure If they would do it though.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Steven Seagull said:

Being mainstream was never what punk rock was about. 

Exactly. I honestly don't believe Green Day cares about how well their songs do on the charts. As Billie said once, he doesn't care if he is playing for 20 or 20,000 people. 

18 minutes ago, Otávio Vidal said:

I can see them playing at iHeart again. It would be a nice "we're sorry for the mess" kinda thing for their fans there and it'd get a lot of social media buzz -- imagine the headlines "Green Day comes back to iHeart 4 years after meltdown" bla bla bla. Not sure If they would do it though.

It would be good press, but Billie even said in that post-rehab interview that he felt so out of place at iHeart and trying to put together a setlist that makes sense when you have limited time with Usher as one of your fellow performers. It was just a weird situation for them all around, I think. Obviously there were bigger issues happening that escalated the situation, but that may have been a concert they committed to without actually wanting to do it.

5 minutes ago, dolce_amore93 said:

It would be good press, but Billie even said in that post-rehab interview that he felt so out of place at iHeart and trying to put together a setlist that makes sense when you have limited time with Usher as one of your fellow performers. It was just a weird situation for them all around, I think. Obviously there were bigger issues happening that escalated the situation, but that may have been a concert they committed to without actually wanting to do it.

I don't mean the same way though! Blink just did iHeart last month which was only them playing with a reporter in between asking them about the songs. Something similar to Storytellers and a MTV show

I can't believe iHeart is touching them with a ten foot pole. I thought that bridge was burned

22 minutes ago, LostCanadianGoose said:

I can't believe iHeart is touching them with a ten foot pole. I thought that bridge was burned

Meh, it did more damage to Green Day than it did to iHeart. They got a lot of publicity from it. :P

I hate that Green Day "needs" iHeartRadio.

Also, I wonder if they will make an appearance on Ellen since they had to scrap that during the trilogy promotion.

This was a few pages back but I really fucking hope they don't do Carpool Karaoke

Bang Bang is #84 in the UK top100. It is #40 in the download chart. 

4 minutes ago, Whatsername_123 said:

Bang Bang is #84 in the UK top100. It is #40 in the download chart. 

And #1 on rock and metal singles.

The Facebook video of Bang Bang has had 6.1m views for a while so I think people have mainly stopped watching that video. The YouTube video currently has 2.4m views. Combined it has 8.5m views, already beating the Oh Love lyric video

1 minute ago, MysticManiac said:

The Facebook video of Bang Bang has had 6.1m views for a while so I think people have mainly stopped watching that video. The YouTube video currently has 2.4m views. Combined it has 8.5m views, already beating the Oh Love lyric video

Those are decent figures for a lyric video. But there's only so many times you can watch a lyric video- I'm hoping they'll bring the music video out soon. 

On 15/8/2016 at 3:42 PM, Steven Seagull said:

Being mainstream was never what punk rock was about. 

Being "punk rock" is basically doing whatever the fuck you want, so...

Just now, StefanoBras said:

Being "punk rock" is basically doing whatever the fuck you want, so...

Your point?

You don't have to be a mainstream band so the fans will like you. Maybe that's good for GD. Stay away from top charts and see who the real fans are. Those who only liked you because you were mainstream or those who stuck with you during hard times.

26 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

Your point?

You don't have to be a mainstream band so the fans will like you. Maybe that's good for GD. Stay away from top charts and see who the real fans are. Those who only liked you because you were mainstream or those who stuck with you during hard times.

The point is they can do whatever the fuck they want and it won't make them less "punk".

And all that "real fans/not real fans" is just stupid, let them do whatever they want and if they are succesfull on the mainstream charts etc, good for them, maybe that will mean that more people get to hear their music.

All that shaming because "you didn't know them before they we're popular" is obnoxious and reminds me of all the non sense hate some twenty one pilots fans get.

3 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

That's not what I said

31 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

Stay away from top charts and see who the real fans are.

The guy said that he's sad because they're not doing great on the charts to which I replied that punk rock was never about being mainstream, so it's nothing wrong if they are not on top of the charts anymore. People who like them will still hear the song and people who don't like them won't. 

What's wrong with that?

3 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

The guy said that he's sad because they're not doing great on the charts to which I replied that punk rock was never about being mainstream, so it's nothing wrong if they are not on top of the charts anymore. People who like them will still hear the song and people who don't like them won't. 

What's wrong with that?

I get what you said now and that's totally fine, I agree with you. But still, all that "let's see who the real fans are" is annoying.

Just now, StefanoBras said:

I get what you said now and that's totally fine, I agree with you. But still, all that "let's see who the real fans are" is annoying.

Yeah, it doesn't matter at all. Just enjoy the music.

Bang Bang: #185 in Top Songs (all) on iTunes, #17 in Alternative Top Songs on iTunes. #16 on Billboard's Alternative Rock Songs chart.

Do you think they'll release a more "commercial" single before the album drops or was Bang Bang supposed to be the one to make it big? Or do they not care about commercial success at all by now?

I don't think Bang Bang has peaked yet. Cheap Thrills by Sia got to number one last week and it's been out since February. Charts are weird and I don't really understand them but I do think a week is a bit too early to call it on how well it did.

Archived