Revolution Radio Promotion and Commercial Performance

Dakke

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 6:58 AM, blueshadows said:

I'm pretty sure there was no tickets left the same day the show went on sale. They sold really fast. They did release tickets new partial view seats after. Venues also tend to release new tickets very close to the show. So I really thought the Worcester show would be considered sold out. No idea how they count either.

However counting attendance wouldn't really make sense, since most shows would have scalpels trying to sell tickets and there'd most probably be some that don't get to sell all their tickets resulting in some empty seats. Doesn't make sense to me, but maybe they do that...

I agree- this show sold out immediately and remained sold out except for a few partial obstructed view seats later on, and then these sold out too. Ticketmaster even posted "no tickets left as this show is sold out". So I have no idea how this wasn't officially a sellout- sounds weird.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be interesting to see how many people that go to see GD on the festivals this summer ... 

I hope the alarm bells at Green Day's promotion team are ringing, because it's not looking good at some places! 

Australia stats-

Rank- 8

Artist/Event- Green Day, The Interrupters

Venue- Qudos Bank Arena

City/State- Sydney Australia

Event Dates- May 10-11, 2017

Gross Sales- $1,775,370

Attend/ Capacity- 19,358/20,952

Shows/Sellouts- 2/0

Prices- $111.34, $58.11

Rank- 16

Artist/Event- Green Day, The Interrupters

Venue- Perth Arena

City/State- Perth, Australia

Event Dates- April 30, 2017

Gross Sales- $871,624

Attend/ Capacity- 8,693/9,434

Shows/Sellouts- 1/0

Prices- $115.39, $90.24

People are trying to make excuses here, but as far as I can tell, these shows simply aren't selling out... 

3 minutes ago, MilleniumFan said:

People are trying to make excuses here, but as far as I can tell, these shows simply aren't selling out... 

I cannot speak about all the shows, but I knwo for a fact, that the Worcester show showed sold out.  I went up on ticketmaster the day of the show and I got No tickets available.  The numbers that were posted here showed that the show was not sold out.  

Ok, what is the source for all these shows then? Is it reliable? 

1 hour ago, MilleniumFan said:

Ok, what is the source for all these shows then? Is it reliable? 

It's taken from Billboard.  Can't speak for how reliable it is, but it's the only thing I've found that lists the attendance.  It doesn't seem like they archive it, which is why I've been updating it here, for posterity's sake.

I'm watching footage of the Sydney gigs right now and it appears that the blocks of seats literally right next to the stage are empty - presumably because they're too close to the stage. Are these seats being included in those figures? I don't see any big blocks of empty seats amongst the crowds. Or am I missing something? I've watched about 20 videos from the two shows. Here's the videos I found: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

I don't know how Billboard gets their attendance info. I went to a Paul McCartney show a few years ago and there were a quite a few seats open in the limited view areas and like 2-3 rows in the back of the lower bowl of the arena that didn't fill up for the entire show. All together I'd say there were 100 seats open. The next week Billboard said the show wasn't sold out. There was a Rush show that they released attendance info for at the same venue Green Day is playing in salt lake this summer that fits 20,000 people. The rush show was packed (maybe not sold out) and Billboard said that like 11,000 people were there. The next time Rush came to that venue it for sure wasn't sold out, but Billboard said there was only 8,000 people there and the lawn was like halfway full. There had to at least be 14-15,000 people there. Then the next time time Rush played that venue the same thing happened. It wasn't sold out, but Billboard was definitely way off on their numbers. 2 years ago Rush played a smaller venue in SLC that seats like 11,000 people for a concert. The staff that worked there was telling us to be patient with them because it was a SOLD OUT show. There was not one open seat in the entire arena. The dipshits from Billboard said that there were like 500 seats open. Quite honestly I'm sure the Wrigley and Rosebowl shows will do just fine as far as ticket sales go. Those are venues that literally help bands sell tickets. I'm not so sure about the Oakland show though. There's a reason the Raiders are leaving Oakland. 

4 hours ago, Whatsername_123 said:

I'm watching footage of the Sydney gigs right now and it appears that the blocks of seats literally right next to the stage are empty - presumably because they're too close to the stage. Are these seats being included in those figures? I don't see any big blocks of empty seats amongst the crowds. Or am I missing something? I've watched about 20 videos from the two shows. Here's the videos I found: 

Hide contents

Hide contents

I would say they are restricted view. 

6 hours ago, Montclare said:

It's taken from Billboard.  Can't speak for how reliable it is, but it's the only thing I've found that lists the attendance.  It doesn't seem like they archive it, which is why I've been updating it here, for posterity's sake.

Thanks for doing this. 

1 hour ago, amberwhite said:

Thanks for doing this. 

Thanks!  Someone used to do it on the Muse board, and I always liked seeing it.

10 hours ago, Scattered Wreck said:

I cannot speak about all the shows, but I knwo for a fact, that the Worcester show showed sold out.  I went up on ticketmaster the day of the show and I got No tickets available.  The numbers that were posted here showed that the show was not sold out.  

Yeah, no excuses being made about the Worcester show- I followed that one closely and while I had tickets though the IN presale my brother had no luck on general sale and we tried every week for months leading up to the show..and every time Ticketmaster said it was sold out. Consistently, even the day before as you said. And having been at the show I can say that it was packed and no empty seats anywhere. This was clearly a sold out show for a long time before the date and also by the eyeball test at the show. So I have no idea how they could have classified this as not being a sellout- maybe they calculated the total available seats for a different seating configuration or something, or maybe they factored in no-shows, but it was definitely completely sold out per Ticketmaster and appeared totally sold out to the eye during the show as well.

2 hours ago, Montclare said:

Thanks!  Someone used to do it on the Muse board, and I always liked seeing it.

Yes thanks a lot for doing it, I enjoy seeing these numbers for sure!

BELIEVE IT OR NOT - WE GOT PRO FOOTAGE FROM THE REVRAD TOUR haha. As we all know we need so much more live footage from the tour, would be good promotion but no warner bros don't think so. Anyway is it just me who thinks that GDs official social channels lacks a lot? Like they never post a video of something, it's usually just a link they share or something like that. And like last night they didn't post any photo from the show like - ''tonight we're performing at Pinkpop''. A band such as Green Day should have way better people that handles their YOUTUBE CHANNEL - INSTAGRAM - FACEBOOK

Anyway enjoy the footage. that is freakin awesome!!

Yeah, but it's not released by Green Day, it's by camera people and editors working for PinkPop and the dutch TV-channel. But who knows, they took some footage from Red-Bull and MTV, improved it and uploaded it to their official YouTube channel, so they might do the same again! Fingers crossed...

By the way, YES THE HITCHIN A RIDE HUGE FLAME ASSEMBLY IS BACK 

Revolution Radio Chart Positions This Week

Rock Airplay - No. 40 (From 43 last week)
Mainstream Rock - No. 18 (From 21 last week)
Canada Rock - No. 23 (From 25 last week)

Still hasn't charted on Alternative Songs or Hot Rock Songs yet. I think GD should start promoting the single right about now. Maybe releasing the music video, performing it etc.

The album and the band aren't popular enough to sell out all the venues. I know GD is an "established act" and all, but that's not going to make the average concert go-er purchase a ticket. In the end, it's the product that sells. RevRad just did ok; it's generally forgotten about since there was nothing "captivating" or "selling" about it. Hopefully, low sales will be a wakeup call for the band to try harder next time. 

GD still has fuel in the engine, and enough talent to succeed. It's unfortunate that as each album comes out, they decline in their output quality. This results in less concert go-ers each tour. 

26 minutes ago, MikeDirntConfused said:

The album and the band aren't popular enough to sell out all the venues. I know GD is an "established act" and all, but that's not going to make the average concert go-er purchase a ticket. In the end, it's the product that sells. RevRad just did ok; it's generally forgotten about since there was nothing "captivating" or "selling" about it. Hopefully, low sales will be a wakeup call for the band to try harder next time. 

GD still has fuel in the engine, and enough talent to succeed. It's unfortunate that as each album comes out, they decline in their output quality. This results in less concert go-ers each tour. 

I still think the best is still yet to come. So we had Dookie - AI - and then i think we'll get something really good. When? No clue. BUT it's so important to promote the album, promote the tour... And sadly the RevRad tour promotion has been awful. GD hasn't released any footage from their arena tour, and that is what fans want. AND of course festivals. Warner Bros is so strict with live footage so we barely can't see anything. The overall promotion isn't good and that is well what i think - the reason for why they are just as popular as in 2005 for example. They are better than ever live without a doubt. Still a killer show! And i don't think they care about what's going on with their commercial success and that kind of things. They just want to play and have fun with their fans you know. And in the end, that is what it's all about right? :) 

On 5.6.2017 at 1:19 PM, MilleniumFan said:

Yeah, but it's not released by Green Day, it's by camera people and editors working for PinkPop and the dutch TV-channel. But who knows, they took some footage from Red-Bull and MTV, improved it and uploaded it to their official YouTube channel, so they might do the same again! Fingers crossed...

By the way, YES THE HITCHIN A RIDE HUGE FLAME ASSEMBLY IS BACK 

haha yes of course fingers crossed! BUT as i have never been impressed by Green Days social channels i highly doubt it... 

On 1.6.2017 at 2:30 PM, MilleniumFan said:

I hope the alarm bells at Green Day's promotion team are ringing, because it's not looking good at some places! 

Do they have a promotion team? ;) If you head over to Metallicas YT, FB and Instagram channel you'll see how a band shall promote themselves. Live footage - pictures - videos - interviews - backstage - info - updates etc..... 

21 hours ago, MikeDirntConfused said:

Yeah finally someone agrees with the shit sales and numbers this thing is doing. :lol: 

2 hours ago, Eric said:

Yeah finally someone agrees with the shit sales and numbers this thing is doing. :lol: 

I don't think the sales are bad. Maybe in the north america tour 2nd leg yes, but i think that was because GD had already played there during the club tour, and they plaed loads of concerts there, and they played loads of shows now so yeh. During the european tour the shows were pretty much all sold out as far as i can tell 

The one concert I'm going to on this tour is in Dublin later this month and it sold out 6 months in advance(tickets were gone about 2 weeks after they went on sale).

Rev Rad also went to number 1 in the album charts here.

2 hours ago, Eric said:

And ''Mikedirntconfused'' i really don't think that for every album GD put out the quality gets worse. I completely disagree. 21st CB was imo one of their best albums. The trilogy had loads of good songs - it just shouldn't have been a trilogy. It should have been a simple 12 track album instead. And RevRad is in my opinion one of the best thing I have heard from GD (worth telling that i'm 15 years old :D ). I have heard a LOT of RevRad. Bang Bang was my most popular song during 2016 on spotify. And it released in august. So i think the band is btetter than ever. As Rolling Stone said: But Revolution Radio isn't just hot nostalgia. It reflects decades of accrued emotional and musical wisdom... And if you have seen them live - their better than ever. In my opinion :) 

4 minutes ago, Jonas01 said:

And ''Mikedirntconfused'' i really don't think that for every album GD put out the quality gets worse. I completely disagree. 21st CB was imo one of their best albums. The trilogy had loads of good songs - it just shouldn't have been a trilogy. It should have been a simple 12 track album instead. And RevRad is in my opinion one of the best thing I have heard from GD (worth telling that i'm 15 years old :D ). I have heard a LOT of RevRad. Bang Bang was my most popular song during 2016 on spotify. And it released in august. So i think the band is btetter than ever. As Rolling Stone said: But Revolution Radio isn't just hot nostalgia. It reflects decades of accrued emotional and musical wisdom... And if you have seen them live - their better than ever. In my opinion :) 

Not talking about quality of the actual music. I loved REVrad. I am talkng about the shitty numbers its doing on the charts and stuff. Green Day need to promote this shit a lot more

Archived