Revolution Radio Promotion and Commercial Performance

Dakke

The guys have done funny stuff before! I'd love them to do Carpool Karaoke - be interesting to see what they sing along to :D I think Mike would be totally into it.

It's also great publicity - those vids are really popular!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Steven Seagull said:

Ouch, Oh Love was #1 on the rock charts

Let's be honest, rock 'n' roll music is not as much as popular than mainstream music nowadays.

Green Day can't reach the Dookie success or American Idiot (or even 21st Century Breakdown) success anymore.

Bang Bang is pretty "hardcore" for a mainstream audiance, I think.

And Green Day is not anymore that band of young rebels, they are mid-40's that have been away for a long time now.

I think to have a big come back in the charts Green Day has to bring a big single like Boulevard of Broken Dreams that's radio-friendly. The question is : Revolution Radio does have this kind of song to please to a massive audience ?

10 hours ago, Johnny Higher said:

Why not ?

They are funny guys. But not in the way that makes Carpool Karaoke entertaining. I'm trying to imagine what it would be like if they did it, and them rocking out in the car would most likely look really awkward. Not trying to judge them, but Tre could maybe pull it off. Billie and Mike, I don't even think would want to do it.

1 hour ago, Sixtrix said:

Tre would probably be funny in that, but I'm afraid that Billie Joe and Mike would be quite awkward

beat me to it

3 hours ago, Steven Seagull said:

Ouch, Oh Love was #1 on the rock charts

Different charts.  What you posted was Mediabase, which monitors radio airplay.  Oh Love debuted at #1 on the Billboard chart which monitors airplay and sales.

7 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

Different charts.  What you posted was Mediabase, which monitors radio airplay.  Oh Love debuted at #1 on the Billboard chart which monitors airplay and sales.

I still doubt Bang Bang will debut at #1 on the Billboard chart.

Dookie and 21CB have surpassed Revolution Radio on iTunes as best-sell GD albums. I'd suggest that 21CB is profiting from the good reception of Bang Bang.

Revolution Radio is the best-selling pre-order alternative album on iTunes.

25 minutes ago, Sixtrix said:

I still doubt Bang Bang will debut at #1 on the Billboard chart.

I'm not debating that, but he was comparing two separate charts.  It was apples to oranges

3 hours ago, Johnny Higher said:

Green Day can't reach the Dookie success or American Idiot (or even 21st Century Breakdown) success anymore.

Bang Bang is pretty "hardcore" for a mainstream audiance, I think.

Why not? The album isn't even out yet. Most of the promotion starts just before the release and after that (TV appereances, ads etc). Sure I agree that Bang Bang isn't the most (mainstream) radio friendly song, but it's pure Green Day, and that's what people who likes Green Day want. 21 Guns was the second single and it was huge. It was released five days after the album came out. Boulevard of Broken Dreams (2 months after the album release), Holiday (6 months), Wake Me Up When September Ends (9 months) were songs which made American Idiot such a huge success on charts. Revolution Radio is 1,5 months away and Bang Bang hasn't been out even a week yet. I think RevRad is going to kick Trilogy's ass big time. It was a flop marketing-wise, the band and especially Warner knows that. Green Day is one of the biggest active rock bands out there and Warner has to take every penny possible out of this album.

Ordinary World would be a much better choice for a first single. You can promote the movie and the song together. I don't think anyone who is not really a rock & roll fan will like the song that much, it's just too much. Ordinary World sounds really nice and it would work better with casual listeners. I showed my mom Bang Bang and Ordinary World. By the way, she's a Josh Groban fan just so you know what kind of music she likes. She liked Ordinary World but though Bang Bang is too angry.

6 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

Ordinary World would be a much better choice for a first single. You can promote the movie and the song together. I don't think anyone who is not really a rock & roll fan will like the song that much, it's just too much. Ordinary World sounds really nice and it would work better with casual listeners. I showed my mom Bang Bang and Ordinary World. By the way, she's a Josh Groban fan just so you know what kind of music she likes. She liked Ordinary World but though Bang Bang is too angry.

Ordinary World is too slow for a first single. You don't put ballads as the first single, come on! :P Bang Bang is angry and loud and I love that. If you're gonna promote a new album you have to pack a punch with your first single and Bang Bang does just that.

Well this mentality is exactly why Rock bands will never sell as good as pop artists. 

16 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

I don't follow..

1 minute ago, Sixtrix said:

I don't follow..

I get the feeling nobody does...like ever.

I listened to reviews of some people that are not really GD fans, and the reactions are not good at all. Also you better not read the comments if you liked Bang Bang.

13 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

I listened to reviews of some people that are not really GD fans, and the reactions are not good at all. Also you better not read the comments if you liked Bang Bang.

This is one review form a YouTuber. Can you link others? 

P.s. I suggest you to not search Oh Love reviews from YouTubers that don't like GD at all. 

It's almost as if people have different music tastes and it's impossible for everyone to like one song :rolleyes: 

Edit: lmao the top rated comment on that video is someone saying they actually really like it.

It's not about "poor" single choices if rock bands aren't doing well on mainstream music scene. Over-produced and flat RnB and EDM artists are just so popular that there's no room for rock bands. It's what mainstream is nowadays. Green Day made difference for it with American Idiot. Rock bands did well on mainstream a decade ago. It has changed. I hope that we could see more rock bands on mainstream scene, especially Green Day, but it's not that easy.

2 hours ago, Steven Seagull said:

Why, most of the comments are against Fantano saying Bang Bang is actually good. Contrary to what you said, the reception this song is getting is remarkably positive.

8 hours ago, Sixtrix said:

Tre would probably be funny in that, but I'm afraid that Billie Joe and Mike would be quite awkward

I think they would be hilarious, probably take over the car and drive off without James Corden or something.

Heard Bang Bang on Uk Radio for the first time today and it's record of the week on Kerrang's mid morning show.  Heard talk about it on Absolute radio, they described it as a bruiser!

6 hours ago, Steven Seagull said:

lol at the comments " green day is for 1D fans " it's not a fucking review. it's some cool guy from school shitting on popular things with extreme prejudice and he is gonna be a loser for his life.

and haven't we heard "the last good album was Nimrod" shit enough? it's a trend to say that as well, it's as repetitious and boring as bland haters. It has prejudice involved as well .

this guy is very bad at being objective and so are his followers.

I think GD have been quite savvy with the social media side of promoting this album- which I guess is a sign of the times.

The lyric video has had a lot of exposure on Facebook as it has already had 6m views, and I loved the studio tour live on Facebook. But the album has also been promoted by Billies Instagram posts. Every time interest in the new album began to wane, sure enough Billie would post something new to reignite interest in the album.

2 hours ago, Private Ale. said:

lol at the comments " green day is for 1D fans " it's not a fucking review. it's some cool guy from school shitting on popular things with extreme prejudice and he is gonna be a loser for his life.

and haven't we heard "the last good album was Nimrod" shit enough? it's a trend to say that as well, it's as repetitious and boring as bland haters. It has prejudice involved as well .

this guy is very bad at being objective and so are his followers.

He's actually not even trying to be objective, making this an even worse example for Seagull. In the description of most every review of his he writes something like "y'all know this is just my opinion, right?" making it clear that his content is actually very subjective.

I bet Mike will get an interview in Bass Player Magazine, I always love those, and I'm looking forward to seeing Billie's interviews with the guitar magazines. Bang Bang was a straight forward song guitar tone wise but we did see photos of that Fernandes Les Paul and Mike posted that pic of the Rickenbacker bass, i'd like to hear more about those

I think Green Day certainly has more of a chance of getting rock back into the mainstream than most other rock bands at the moment. I can't think of any others that have the level of commercial appeal they do (I've heard loads about new Blink on social media, but I don't think they've ever had the levels of fame Green Day has experienced, right?). But I agree—generally speaking, there's little room for rock 'n' roll on the Top 40 right now. It was trending 2004–2006 or so, but it hasn't hit those levels again since as far as I know. It'll make it's way back into the mainstream again, but it's just not in the cards right now. Genre popularity ebbs and flows. 

If Revolution Radio is primarily political/socially aware, it'll get more exposure than the average rock album. There is so much insanity going on in America right now (and around the world, really). For the same band who created American Idiot to come back and reflect on how times have changed since then is no small deal. 

Archived