Revolution Radio Promotion and Commercial Performance

Dakke

7 minutes ago, Montclare said:

Sure, it's off of Billboard.  Looks like they update the stats every Tuesday.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/current-boxscore

Great thanks! At first, I thought it was a list of best grosses of 2017 shows, however it seems to also include some 2016 dates, so not sure exactly of the period it covers.

In any case, those are great numbers for GD!! 

GD also seem to charge considerably less than many other artists (and probably sing for longer than most of them too).

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, blueshadows said:

Great thanks! At first, I thought it was a list of best grosses of 2017 shows, however it seems to also include some 2016 dates, so not sure exactly of the period it covers.

In any case, those are great numbers for GD!! 

GD also seem to charge considerably less than many other artists (and probably sing for longer than most of them too).

Yeah, it's weird, some stats are a couple weeks ago, others are from December.  I'm not sure if some venues take longer to report, or what the story is.  But hey- 2 sell outs!

4 hours ago, Caroline Truong said:

in english?..I can't understand this at all.

wait minute Still B is A Rock song?..

Off-topic. Who is Ed Sheeran?..and why he is better then SB..or GD for that matter..

What's wrong with SB? :ermm:

By the way it is considered a Pop/Punk - Alternative Rock song. Check also on Wikipedia.

I don't think you don't know Ed Sheeran, the English singer who has released the most successful song of the year so far: "Shape Of You". I'm sure you heard it somehow.

I'm not saying GD is better than Ed Sheeran. I just wanted to point out that GD earned all their views for SB thanks to fans, due to a lack of promotion. It was mainly a joke. :)

7 hours ago, Montclare said:

Yeah, it's weird, some stats are a couple weeks ago, others are from December.  I'm not sure if some venues take longer to report, or what the story is.  But hey- 2 sell outs!

Ha, this goes out to all the haters who called GD "sell outs" back in the day! :ga:

On 18/03/2017 at 9:44 PM, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

I know it might be a while yet, but I can't wait for the next single to drop!  There's been a lull in all the excitement of the Rev Rad Era, and I know it's due to touring, which means it's not a lull at all, but them raking in the cash.   

I get it.  I'm just bored with the board and tired of checking all the time to see if a video or single has materialized.  I finally got tired of listening to the album after about 6 months of it being the ONLY cd in my car, haha!  

I'm more than satisfied with the album.  How it's sold, all that.  

Right now though, I'm bored.  I couldn't attend the Georgia show, but I'm planning on seeing a September show instead.   Yup.   Bored.  

Are so so damn bored you're going blind... 😂

13 hours ago, blueshadows said:

I am not into stats, most of the time I don't understand them, but I was wondering that when a I was reading something about how much some shows had grossed compared to other artists and I thought but GD charge much less for tickets than a lot of artists, and you are right, play for much longer.  It appears too, the more you read, that sometimes venues class "sold out" differently so it can't be easy to compare, and poprobably doesn't matter anyway.

27 minutes ago, jengd said:

I am not into stats, most of the time I don't understand them, but I was wondering that when a I was reading something about how much some shows had grossed compared to other artists and I thought but GD charge much less for tickets than a lot of artists, and you are right, play for much longer.  It appears too, the more you read, that sometimes venues class "sold out" differently so it can't be easy to compare, and poprobably doesn't matter anyway.

You are correct, the stats show that GD charges much less for tickets than other artists.  That is why they are selling out shows and not at the top of the gross sales.   However, I would think arenas look at sold out in a similar fashion.  If all tickets are sold, they are sold.  However, there could be different types of sold, there could be general population, tickets for employees or the band, corporate boxes, etc.  Also, attendance is much different than sold.  To do a true statistical analysis, you need much more information.  

One of the very recent reviews I read, just this week, said that GD had asked for the upper tier of tickets in the arena to not be sold so it brought the numbers attending down but I think they were still classing as a sold out, so yes, lots to consider.

1 hour ago, jengd said:

That's right it's not very easy to compare, same venue can have different set-up depending on what the artist chooses, how they would like their stage set-up and how much tickets they think they can sell etc...

So for example, the GD concert on the list at #28 is the show at the Bell Centre in Montreal, for GD the capacity is a bit over 14,000 and if you look a bit down the list at #75 you can see Simple Plan at the same venue with a capacity of just over 6,000.

This venue is in my hometown and I remember looking at the event page for Simple Plan, many sections were "closed" and were not for sale at all (the ones furthest from the stage of course), they also had a full floor of standing room only (while GD only had small pit on the floor and seats behind that pit). So in the capacity, they would not account at all for seats that were never available for sale.

This is completely unscientific. But I check GD mentions a lot on Twitter, and I've noticed an increase in mentions about Still Breathing. Specifically radio station accounts tweeting they're currently playing it (not all rock and alt), and people in general tweeting about the song. Some complaining of it being overplayed. Also one tweet mentioned that this week it went from 55 to 42 on Adult Contemporary. I can't tell if it's still catching on or it just has great staying power.

3 hours ago, neverdone2000 said:

This is completely unscientific. But I check GD mentions a lot on Twitter, and I've noticed an increase in mentions about Still Breathing. Specifically radio station accounts tweeting they're currently playing it (not all rock and alt), and people in general tweeting about the song. Some complaining of it being overplayed. Also one tweet mentioned that this week it went from 55 to 42 on Adult Contemporary. I can't tell if it's still catching on or it just has great staying power.

No, it is still catching on.  There is a website I follow called The Next Big Sound.  It tracks a bands status and performance via all kinds of social media.  GD's metric trend is increasing and their greatest gain this week is in twitter followers, they are up 779%.  Also video views are up 75%.  So what you are seeing is accurate. 

1 hour ago, Scattered Wreck said:

No, it is still catching on.  There is a website I follow called The Next Big Sound.  It tracks a bands status and performance via all kinds of social media.  GD's metric trend is increasing and their greatest gain this week is in twitter followers, they are up 779%.  Also video views are up 75%.  So what you are seeing is accurate. 

Wow that is really interesting. Are those numbers in just one week? I wonder what would account for such a big increase lately?

On 4/4/2017 at 7:42 PM, End Of The World said:

From what emerges, we can gather that lyric videos are overall more seen than music videos (except for the SB one, who's having a lot of promotion these days). Just look at the gap between the Lyric and the Music video for BB. The latter, not only is the least liked video of this era, but it looks like it's also the least successful music video of the whole GD career.

The least successful music video of GD's career is actually X-Kid :lol:

Don't know if it matters, but Still Breathing is still rising on the adult contemporary chart and has entered the top 40 on that.

10 minutes ago, neverdone2000 said:

Don't know if it matters, but Still Breathing is still rising on the adult contemporary chart and has entered the top 40 on that.

How do you know that? Billboard only shows the top 30 on that chart. Is there a link that shows that?

On 3/27/2017 at 4:30 PM, Sixtrix said:

On another note, it seems to me there is not going to be another music video for the album. Or maybe they are planning to do 3 instead of 4 and are stretching the release of the 3rd single

At the end of last year, Billie said that they were preparing the music video for Revolution Radio, so that should be out soon.

33 minutes ago, G-L-O-R-I-A said:

At the end of last year, Billie said that they were preparing the music video for Revolution Radio, so that should be out soon.

I still predict they're going to release the Rev Radio single and video in conjunction with the next leg of the tour, the new documentary, or both. According to what I read the documentary is going to be promoted during the summer tour. But who knows for sure.

On 4/4/2017 at 10:40 PM, End Of The World said:

What's wrong with SB? :ermm:

By the way it is considered a Pop/Punk - Alternative Rock song. Check also on Wikipedia.

I don't think you don't know Ed Sheeran, the English singer who has released the most successful song of the year so far: "Shape Of You". I'm sure you heard it somehow.

I'm not saying GD is better than Ed Sheeran. I just wanted to point out that GD earned all their views for SB thanks to fans, due to a lack of promotion. It was mainly a joke. :)

I don't really know the term "Pop/Punk" means..but I know what Al Rock is it like indies music is little more heavy sound but deep song..and I thought Still Breathing is Pop Rock (well it is to me)

and oh..Ed Sheeran I heard of him and I am not fan..I didn't know he sang that song "Shape Of You"

15 hours ago, neverdone2000 said:

I still predict they're going to release the Rev Radio single and video in conjunction with the next leg of the tour, the new documentary, or both. According to what I read the documentary is going to be promoted during the summer tour. But who knows for sure.

So the Aussie leg!!! 

I got these figures on YouTube by clicking on the 'more actions' option for each music video

Still Breathing- 7.6M views, 109,000 shares, about 40,000 views per month

Bang Bang- 3.9M views, 42,000 shares, 20,000 views per month

For the lyric videos

SB- 11.5m views, 168,000 shares, 20,000 views

BB- 13.7M , 142,000, 20,000 views

Rev Rad- 8.1M, 80,000, 20,000 views

Youngblood- 3.1M, 37,000, 10,000 views

Ordinary World- 2.8M, 38,000, 10,000 views

Say Goodbye- 4.4M, 51,000, 10,000 views

Troubled Times- 3.7M, 68,000 shares, 20,000 views 

As you can see the monthly viewing figure for the Bang Bang music video is quite low and it hasn't been shared that many times. As for the lyric videos, with the exception of Bang Bang and Still Breathing, Rev Rad has had the most views and shares. 

Tour stat updates-

Rank- 20

Artist/Event- Green Day, Against Me

Venue- Wells Fargo Arena

City/State- Des Moines, Iowa

Event Dates- April 3, 2017

Gross Sales- $486,588

Attend/ Capacity- 8,441/8,441

Shows/Sellouts- 1/1

Prices- $67.50, $47.50, $27.50

Rank- 21

Artist/Event- Green Day, Against Me

Venue- Resch Center

City/State- Green Bay, Wisconsin

Event Dates- March 30, 2017

Gross Sales- $442,834

Attend/ Capacity- 7,759/7,759

Shows/Sellouts- 1/1

Prices- $66.50, $46.50, $26.50

Update for those interested! US sales 214,6 k (exact amount), UK sales 90,1 k (my estimates).  

If your estimates are correct, I really do wonder wether it will reach 100k copies, which would mean a Gold-certificate in the UK...

Archived