Revolution Radio Promotion and Commercial Performance

Dakke

2 minutes ago, Clockwise said:

Is anyone concerned that the Kerrang headline is 'the only interview'? I know Kerrang likes to sensationalize things but that gives me the impression they're not doing a whole lot of press this time around.

Yeah, I found it a bit weird.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Jenn123 said:

Not that I actually know anything about song charting or anything, but I'm pretty sure it takes longer than a few days - maybe a few weeks - for it to really make an impression on the chart. There isn't even a music video yet!

iTunes numbers are not really "charting" anyway. People normally look to Billboard when they talk about charting, we won't have Billboard numbers until (I think) next week. But you're right, it can take days, weeks, even months for songs to move through charts. For example, we could look at another "Alt" group, like Twenty One Pilots' album release in April of '15. "Stressed Out" was the second single and came out on April 28th. It was not issued to top 40 stations until November of 2015 and then subsequently charted and peaked at the end of February at number 2 on the Hot 100. For context, Green Day has only had one song ever hit the top 5 and it was BOBD peaking at number 2. 

So there's no real way to know if they will do well chart-wise. It really depends on if they issue their singles to Top 40 stations, but I don't know if they'd try to do that with Bang Bang

1 hour ago, Clockwise said:

Is anyone concerned that the Kerrang headline is 'the only interview'? I know Kerrang likes to sensationalize things but that gives me the impression they're not doing a whole lot of press this time around.

But we already know that's false because of Rolling Stone. I think Kerrang is taking the piss.

1 hour ago, Z J said:

iTunes numbers are not really "charting" anyway. People normally look to Billboard when they talk about charting, we won't have Billboard numbers until (I think) next week. But you're right, it can take days, weeks, even months for songs to move through charts. For example, we could look at another "Alt" group, like Twenty One Pilots' album release in April of '15. "Stressed Out" was the second single and came out on April 28th. It was not issued to top 40 stations until November of 2015 and then subsequently charted and peaked at the end of February at number 2 on the Hot 100. For context, Green Day has only had one song ever hit the top 5 and it was BOBD peaking at number 2. 

So there's no real way to know if they will do well chart-wise. It really depends on if they issue their singles to Top 40 stations, but I don't know if they'd try to do that with Bang Bang

Over in the UK, they've had many hits. I think AI peaked at number 3, as did WMUWSE. I think BoBD only ever got as high as number 6 on the charts here, despite making it to number 1 of the rock chart. It's all a case of which chart you're using and where you're using for reference.

Bang Bang got more dislikes in 2 days than Xmas Time Of The Year got since December.

4 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

Bang Bang got more dislikes in 2 days than Xmas Time Of The Year got since December.

It's also getting a lot more exposure and views. Ratio of dislikes matters more than total amount. Are you really arguing that Xmas Time of Year is a better song than Bang Bang?

The Like/Dislike Ratio is fine, obviously there's always some people who will dislike even for no fucking reason.
At least thats whats youtube is now, but give it some time, it will get more likes in a few weeks. And to be honest, i was expecting more dislikes than 1k.
The Reception has been good in social media and over the internet despite the few negative feedback.

What do you guys mean exactly by a softer approach? Kind of like the chili peppers last album which had almost no promotion all? I really hope Warner brothers doesn't screw this up. This song and album has potential to be a big hit. Bang Bangs lyrics are the strongest Billies written it a while. It'd be a shame to see their hard work and talent hardly make an impact on the world. Hopefully Bang Bang wasn't a mistake for the first single, I'm sure a lot of people are probably taking the meaning a different way/not actually looking completely into it's meaning.

3 hours ago, SomeNimrod97 said:

Over in the UK, they've had many hits. I think AI peaked at number 3, as did WMUWSE. I think BoBD only ever got as high as number 6 on the charts here, despite making it to number 1 of the rock chart. It's all a case of which chart you're using and where you're using for reference.

I mean, they're a US based band, and they've had plenty of hits here as well. It's their biggest market and the best litmus for how popular the singles are

55 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

First, divide 38000 by 900. Then, divide 58,000 by 1,000. Tell me which ends up higher.

Plus

tumblr_n8qq8l1WMJ1ssqxwho1_500.gif

7 hours ago, Clockwise said:

Definitely concerning. The trilogy had a ton of interviews and promotion. I know it's early but I have a bad feeling about the promotion this time around. Hopefully this doesn't just come out with no one knowing about it. Who knows though, promotion may not even matter. Music like this doesn't seem to sell as much anymore. 

I think Bang Bang is doing pretty well as a lead single so far. I've heard that it's gotten quite a few radio plays on bigger channels, which is creating a new batch of click-bait three paragraph articles on the song, which continues to spread across the internet. When people talk about one song a lot, it gets noticed more, even if there's little to no advertisement for it. 

A personal example would be Stressed Out by Twenty One Pilots. I'd never heard of the song before, but a lot of people on Instagram were sharing it, so out of curiosity, I checked it out and ended up loving it and getting into the band. 

Overall, I just hope whatever advertisement GD has planned for this album, it isn't the disaster that was the Trilogy, when the best thing they could create was an exclusive Angry Birds game that no one really played. :lol: 

Trilogy had a good promotion with that music video contest. That Nuclear Family animation is still so great.

Maybe they're letting those articles about the song do the press for them? Or at least some of it. Hence releasing a controversial song as a lead single?

Also maybe the interview in Kerrang was the only one at the time, doesn't mean they can't do more closer to the album's release right?

The Rolling Stone interview was just with Billie Joe. Could be that Kerrang got to talk with the entire band.

They have earned over 500k new listeners on Spotify in three days.

That's pretty good.

6 hours ago, Steven Seagull said:

My gosh. Bang Bang have nearly 1 million views in 2 days, 60892 likes. Xmas times of the year have 1 million views in 7 months, 38453 likes. Your sentence makes no sense. Any comparison with that present-song makes no sense at all. 

YouTube Update: the number of shares is now at more 14,000 in less than two days, whilst Oh Love never achieved more than 3,500 shares.

Amazon update: #15 in paid albums

Amazon Germany: #20 in the Top 100
                           #2 in Alternative & Indie
                           #6 in Rock
                           #5 in Vinyls
                    and #66 in mp3 Top 100

I think it's going pretty well considering these are just pre-sale numbers. There's also a little ad on the Amazon Music page. 

The Bang Bang lyric video will probably be on 1 million views within a few hours- which I think is great considering its a lyric video (I've watched it about 20 times so far). I think this song has been pretty well received by fans and music critics.

I hoped new single Bang Bang was going to be sort of KYE when it comes to popularity. 4 years ago oh love hasn't managed to achive success, though its very catchy, radio song. Oh love is just dull comparing to 21 Guns.

Bang Bang is fast and full of energy and everybody likes it (me too),  but overall it  didn't look hopefull.

Green Day need a knockout single, which  will round whole world to gain new fans

2 hours ago, Whatsername_123 said:

The Bang Bang lyric video will probably be on 1 million views within a few hours- which I think is great considering its a lyric video (I've watched it about 20 times so far). I think this song has been pretty well received by fans and music critics.

Well it has reached 5.4 million views on fb already!

1 hour ago, greenalert997x said:

I hoped new single Bang Bang was going to be sort of KYE when it comes to popularity. 4 years ago oh love hasn't managed to achive success, though its very catchy, radio song. Oh love is just dull comparing to 21 Guns.

Bang Bang is fast and full of energy and everybody likes it (me too),  but overall it  didn't look hopefull.

Green Day need a knockout single, which  will round whole world to gain new fans

Oh love did great though.

7 minutes ago, Joe K said:

Well it has reached 5.4 million views on fb already!

Oh love did great though.

Facebook autoplays videos when you scroll over them and it counts a view if the video plays for just 3 seconds.

Just now, Steven Seagull said:

Facebook autoplays videos when you scroll over it.

Yes that's true but if want to come across the video you most likely have to go to Green Days Facebook page or their website.

1 minute ago, Joe K said:

Yes that's true but if want to come across the video you most likely have to go to Green Days Facebook page or their website.

But it can also appear on your timeline if let's say a friend likes or shares it.

1 minute ago, Steven Seagull said:

But it can also appear on your timeline if let's say a friend likes or shares it.

Yeah I know, that's why I said most likely.

Archived