Revolution Radio Promotion and Commercial Performance

Dakke

To me, Still Breathing is only a success if it cracks the Top 40 in pop radio and Hot 100.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

To me, Still Breathing is only a success if it cracks the Top 40 in pop radio and Hot 100.

I feel the same, however it is unlikely to happen. 

6 hours ago, Jane Lannister said:

I feel the same, however it is unlikely to happen. 

I've lost my hopes.

My pessimistic side says:

"Oh Love was the last GD single ever to enter the Hot 100. Music industry is getting worse and Punk Rock is disappearing from the charts."

My optimistic side says:

*Silence*

I think it's better that GD singles do well on the rock charts. Obviously it'd be nice for them to do well on the Hot 100 but who cares. Half of the songs on those charts are shit anyway. Still Breathing has been the most successful non-lead single since 21 Guns, that is an achievement in itself

Also, Bang Bang reached No. 4 on Bubbling Under he Hot 100 chart so we know it's possible for a GD song to reach the Hot 100. And for a song like BB which is quite controversial, that's not bad. I'm sure SB would've got into the Hot 100 if it was the lead single for the album

3 hours ago, End Of The World said:

I've lost my hopes.

My pessimistic side says:

"Oh Love was the last GD single ever to enter the Hot 100. Music industry is getting worse and Punk Rock is disappearing from the charts."

My optimistic side says:

*Silence*

I don't mind, especially because they aren't likely to appeal to top 100 crowd anyway. BB was chosen as the lead single because they wanted to attract rock audience and with the lack of promotion, SB not making it into mainstream charts is not surprising.

I care only because I love this band and obviously want to see them do well. Outside of that it's not really important. It doesn't take away how I feel about the music. 

YouTube viewings update:

Still Breathing- 8.7million for the lyric video and 4.5 million for the music video

Bang Bang- 11.4m (lyric video), 3.2m (music video)

Rev Rad lyric video 6.2m

Youngblood lyric video 2.5m

Ordinary World lyric video 2m

Say Goodbye lyric video 3m 

The only figure above that I'm disappointed with is the Still Breathing music video.

1 minute ago, Steven Seagull said:

This album is doing so bad.

Yeah. Clearly the trilogy did much better. Especially Dos and Tré

Just now, MysticManiac said:

Yeah. Clearly the trilogy did much better. Especially Dos and Tré

Everyone knew about the Trilogy and the hype lasted a long time and Rev Rad only got some early hype and now it's already forgotten. But that was expected since the difference in music quality is so big. 

Just now, Steven Seagull said:

Everyone knew about the Trilogy and the hype lasted a long time and Rev Rad only got some early hype and now it's already forgotten. But that was expected since the difference in music quality is so big. 

*Biggest facepalm*

First off, of course if one of the biggest bands in the world announces a trilogy of albums, there's going to be massive hype. But it didn't last for long. By the time Dos was released, most people didn't care anymore

Secondly, with the exception of Oh Love, the trilogy singles were complete failures compared to Bang Bang and SB

It's fine if you prefer the trilogy but to suggest that the trilogy was more successful commercially is just false.

2 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

*Biggest facepalm*

First off, of course if one of the biggest bands in the world announces a trilogy of albums, there's going to be massive hype. But it didn't last for long. By the time Dos was released, most people didn't care anymore

Secondly, with the exception of Oh Love, the trilogy singles were complete failures compared to Bang Bang and SB

It's fine if you prefer the trilogy but to suggest that the trilogy was more successful commercially is just false.

Two words: album sales

Two words: album sales

Three words: different music industry

In 2012, people bought more albums than in 2016. Hence why Uno sold 139k albums compared to RR's 90k. This was also because of the hype the trilogy caused.

But as I said before, the hype was lost by the release of Dos which can be seen by the first week sales of Dos and TRÉ which were 69k and 57k respectively.

No one knew about Dos and Tre. Seriously, most people didn't give a fwook. The rushed release of Tre didn't help either. Putting it off and then doing at least something to promote it might have been better.

20 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

In 2012, people bought more albums than in 2016. Hence why Uno sold 139k albums compared to RR's 90k. This was also because of the hype the trilogy caused.

But as I said before, the hype was lost by the release of Dos which can be seen by the first week sales of Dos and TRÉ which were 69k and 57k respectively.

Or maybe RR is shit because it sold less  copies than Uno.

Or maybe RR is shit because it sold less  copies than Uno.

Well then, going by that logic 21CB and AI must be miles better than the trilogy since they sold way more than the trilogy. You can't have it both ways

17 hours ago, MysticManiac said:

And have they sold a single copy SINCE then?   I'm pretty sure Dos and Tre and even Uno could go out of print no one would even notice.  With Rev Rad, we will just have to see.    It's got two number one songs and has sold around 90,000 copies in a world where people don't buy music at all.   

Yep.   

22 minutes ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

And have they sold a single copy SINCE then?   I'm pretty sure Dos and Tre and even Uno could go out of print no one would even notice.  With Rev Rad, we will just have to see.    It's got two number one songs and has sold around 90,000 copies in a world where people don't buy music at all.   

Yep.   

well now it has sold more than 110k and here in greece its a best seller and because of the release of RR every album except the trilogy( which I like though) and the lookout records are best sellers.

I have been a fan of GD since 2012, so we can say I experienced both the Trilogy era (2012/2013) and the RevRad era (2016/2017).

For me there is no doubt that this era is far better than the other. Because RevRad has something that Trilogy doesn't have: a soul.

I love Uno, Dos and Trè. Obviously. They have been the soundtrack of 1/4 of my life and if today I'm here it's mostly because of them. 37 songs divided into 3 albums, representing the metaphor of the party. That's very cool. And brave. Maybe the best idea after American Idiot GD have ever had. Songs are fucking fun and sick. But there's no soul (except for Trè, that is a misunderstood masterpiece).

Also, 2012 wasn't a good year for Billie Joe, because of things we already know and that we don't need to mention for the nth time.

This aside, RevRad is the greatest effort GD could make in a bad 2016. When I listen to it, I literally FEEL a story, an experience a sense behind and between the songs. Besides, GD are physically and psychically at their best even after 30 years of music.

That's what it matters.

Album sales are a good indicator of success, ok. But the only reason Uno has sold more than RevRad is the previous success of AI and 21CB. If GD had released Uno in 2016, it would have sold like 50k in the first week, I'm completely sure. And Bang Bang even if was released 4 years later Oh Love (a huge amount of time for the music industry) reached almost its same positions. And what about SB? As MysticManiac says: the most successful non-lead single after 21 Guns, so since 2009. And chart positions show it.

So guys, think what you want about RevRad. But it's a success anyway. And I'm so fucking happy (I could cry:lol:) to say it.

1 hour ago, Δημήτρης Γκότσης said:

well now it has sold more than 110k and here in greece its a best seller and because of the release of RR every album except the trilogy( which I like though) and the lookout records are best sellers.

Now it's listed as 175,000.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7647545/green-day-revolution-radio-second-rock-airplay-number-1

58 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

That's not bad. It's already sold more than Tré has in 4 years which has sold 155,000 copies as of October 2016

How do you know?

Archived