What the fuck happened to Jason White?

Invention Convention

Sooo, the 4th member of Green Day? Thought he was official as of trilogy? He's no longer in the Facebook page "members" or any new promo photos, Bang Bang lyric video etc.

Wtf happened? 

#SaveJasonWhite

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed that it says on their Wikipedia page that he's gone back to being a touring member but it isn't verified

I don't think Billie, Mike, or Tre have any beef with him. Maybe in pursuit of his own music career and what not, he declined to go into the studio with Green Day this time around.

Really though, did anyone actually consider him a part of Green Day? I love the dude but I never could think of him as 1/4 of Green Day along with Billie, Mike, and Tre.

most likely he will continue what he has done for longer than you've been alive. Playing guitar with Green Day on live shows. 

Nothing happened. He's been a member of the band since 99, as a touring member and then also playing as an equal member with the others on the trilogy and being credited for it accordingly. No promise was made that just because he played on an album he'd take on the same role as the other band members or that he'd play on the next album. 

Jason or the rest of the band never made a big announcement that he was now "official" (this term was made up by fans), seems like instead they deliberately kept things low key and not black and white so that he's in the band but his role within it can be flexible and be bigger/smaller according to what they want at a given time. Playing on the album must have not suited them/him this time - no problem, he's still in the band. Any drama about this is solely created by fans insisting on sticking labels on him.

I think it's a process more fluid than many believe. He's been more involved in the Trilogy production but then probably he didn't like too much the media attention on him, the promotion craziness etc.. Maybe this time he also had other stuff to take care about. I mean, they're all friends, I don't think anyone kicked him out from the creative process. He just made a step back from the spotlight, just enjoying the fact of being the motherfucker second guitarist of the greatest rock band in town. 

When did we ever get an official announcement of him being the 4th member? This was all fan speculation bull shit, even though it's true they did a lot of things that confused us about his status but with no official announcements I never assumed he was in the band.

From Rolling Stone article from yesterday:

"Not long after, touring guitarist Jason White...."
"We're probably going to be announcing dates pretty soon. We've been in the garage hammering them out, and it sounds great. Jason White, Jason Freese and Jeff Matika are back with us, and we've got the gang back together."

Can't help but feeling like Jason White got screwed over at some point between the Trilogy and now. He went from an official core member to touring guitarist.

As far as im concerned he was an official member of the band for the trilogy. If he is not an official member anymore my guess would be that he prefers being away from the limelight and it would have been his own choice to step back to his original touring role.  All just my own thoughts of course.

9 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Can't help but feeling like Jason White got screwed over at some point between the Trilogy and now. He went from an official core member to touring guitarist.

he has been the guitarist on tour for 16 years, I doubt he feels screwed at all tbh

Remeber when people got mad when you said Jason White is not an official member.

Pepperidge farm remembers

I thnik that Jason doent really care if he is in the band as member or just a touring member, i guess billie is the one that wants him and forcing it.

On Cuatro Billie said that Jason is the fourth member so I'd say that's sort of official in a way since it came from a band member. I have nothing against Jason but I've always considered Green Day a trio and I like it that way.

I really think it's funny when someone stated that "Jason prefers not to be on the spot light... he is a private person"... bullshit.. if you are an official member of one of the biggest bands that ever existed there is no choice of being more private on official commitments...

Don't know what was the real deal on put in on member status during the trilogy era, but it was a mistake that is now corrected

38 minutes ago, Alf said:

I really think it's funny when someone stated that "Jason prefers not to be on the spot light... he is a private person"... bullshit.. if you are an official member of one of the biggest bands that ever existed there is no choice of being more private on official commitments...

Don't know what was the real deal on put in on member status during the trilogy era, but it was a mistake that is now corrected

It wasn't a mistake, he played on the albums equally with the other members so he was credited for playing on the albums equally with the other members. That's all that happened, they never said anything about his "status". They do have a choice, to do whatever they want and for Jason to play whatever role in the band that suits him/them :P 

It's probably his own decision to be honest, staying out of the whole limelight stuff, he seems like a pretty conservative guy

2 hours ago, Steven Seagull said:

Remeber when people got mad when you said Jason White is not an official member.

Pepperidge farm remembers

hahah i am a jason white fangirl and i agree. i remember that time when everyone got salty. 

In hindsight, I wonder if he was used on the Trilogy because Billie couldn't do it all himself because of his addiction.   

But whatever, they still seem to be great friends. Jason remarried Billie and Adrienne afterall. 

This whole dispute about "official member" is as pointless as the "is Green Day punk" thing or "are they sell-outs" or maybe "I'm a trufan and you aren't!!!".

Who cares, really? It's their business who they take into the studio.

Who is or isn't "official" just isn't important. At all, you know? He recorded with them before and this time he didn't.

Remember when he had throat cancer? It was told later that he went through the treatment successfully and recovered. But maybe we'll see him less touring now. He still may be credited on the LP

20 minutes ago, Demon!Dean said:

hahah i am a jason white fangirl and i agree. i remember that time when everyone got salty. 

Haha but we still love the "Condom man" 

maxresdefault.jpg

Just now, Exorgirl said:

Remember when he had throat cancer? It was told later that he went through the treatment successfully and recovered. But maybe we'll see him less touring now. He still may be credited on the LP

It likely will be the other way. He is going to tour with them but wasn't involved in the recording. 

I always disliked this discussion when it was going on four years ago. I'll say the same thing now as I did then: I really don't fucking care whether he's "in" or "out", it doesn't change anything for anyone really, except people who are looking to make a big deal out of it. It doesn't change the live shows, and it doesn't really change the writing or recording process in any major way either. If Green Day was a boyband, then it would be a huge deal, but they are not. To the vast majority of music consumers today it is only the face and personality of lead singers that matter, that's the "sad" truth of it for the background musicians. Green Day is blessed in the way that Tre and Mike are also strong personalities, and so the hardcore fans have a sense of loyalty with them as well, but Jason White is not outwardly a strong personality because he doesn't say much. That is probably because he know he is the "new guy" and that fact alone is why his status in the band doesn't change anything for any fan really. I honestly think some fans felt the impact of it bigger, back in 2012, than Jason White himself xD

Archived