Trilogy Discussion

30 minutes ago, Steven Seagull said:

Walk Away is such an underrated Green Day song.

I actually have to agree there. The lyrics were written for Cigarettes and Valentines and it's one of the best tracks from the trilogy. It's in my top 20 favourite GD tracks.

I think my favorite from the whole set is 8th Ave. Serenade. I  just love  the way that during the chorus,  the melody that increases with intensity as the words rise in intensity, until he sings "Before all the flames burn out", where the melody gently falls back at the end of the phrase to match the 'burn out'. Really lovely word painting with the music. 

I love the way Billie Joe sings it, and the counterpoint with the melody of the interesting  background harmonies.  I think the words are just beautiful, just a really great love song for those who have loved and been married to the same person for a long time. It has Beatlesesque/ Nimrod vibe to it. Just wonderful. I would love to hear him sing this live.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, GenXIdiot said:

I think my favorite from the whole set is 8th Ave. Serenade. I  just love  the way that during the chorus,  the melody that increases with intensity as the words rise in intensity, until he sings "Before all the flames burn out", where the melody gently falls back at the end of the phrase to match the 'burn out'. Really lovely word painting with the music. 

I love the way Billie Joe sings it, and the counterpoint with the melody of the interesting  background harmonies.  I think the words are just beautiful, just a really great love song for those who have loved and been married to the same person for a long time. It has Beatlesesque/ Nimrod vibe to it. Just wonderful. I would love to hear him sing this live.

You captured it well. It's such a simple but powerful song. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SomeNimrod97 said:

I actually have to agree there. The lyrics were written for Cigarettes and Valentines and it's one of the best tracks from the trilogy. It's in my top 20 favourite GD tracks.

Wrong 

djrossstar has clear this up

27B38B9B-53BB-47C6-BD99-1B228ABCC035_zps

• Like 2

I guess the disappointment with the trilogy comes from having the biggest expectations for them. I really agree with hating how it is produced, there is no "umph" in it. But we did get some awesome songs; Let Yourself Go, Stray Heart, DRB, Walk Away, 8th Ave, and so on.

While i find a lot of it to be filler songs (especially Amanda, i can't really stand listening to that one, it does nothing for me) I guess i was happy to get these songs than none at all. 

I'll just assume they will be back and ready with the next album and it will be awesome because honestly it feels like the trilogy never happened. With the rehab, no promotion, the era was all a blur! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

Wrong 

djrossstar has clear this up

27B38B9B-53BB-47C6-BD99-1B228ABCC035_zps

So, all we've really heard from C&V is Too Much Too Soon, Shoplifter, Favourite Son and maybe another track or 2 that ended up on AI. Shame more hasn't been heard of it. They should actually recorded a studio version of C&V.

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

Such a great tune but very underrated outside of GDC 

I wish there was audio or footage of the one time they performed this song live, Halloween 2011. :(

2 minutes ago, velvetgrass said:

I wish there was audio or footage of the one time they performed this song live, Halloween 2011. :(

Wait what? They performed this before? :o 

Stay the Night would have been perfect, with Oh Love as the second one. I did love "Oh Love" every time it came on  the radio, I think it's a great song, too.

I really really hope to hear some of the Trilogy live when they tour!!! I'm dying to hear X-kid, 8th Ave Serenade and/or Lazy Bones. The three best songs on the whole set, IMO. DRB would be really cool, too. Let Yourself Go would be a great opener!

If they do 99 Revolutions I'll die. Yuck. It's the only Green Day song I actively dislike.

• Like 3

Idk why everyone hates Oh Love as lead single. To me, it seems the song most likely to be successful as a single

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, MysticManiac said:

Idk why everyone hates Oh Love as lead single. To me, it seems the song most likely to be successful as a single

I agree.  I've posted the numbers before, but Oh Love was actually doing very well as a single.  It debuted at #1 and was maintaining that until iHeart happened.  Then it dropped off the charts.  There were extenuating circumstances

• Like 1

I happened to be in the US for a few weeks when Oh Love dropped and it was actually very successful over there, they played it on the radio every few hours. I don't think it's a bad lead single choice at all, especially when compared with other songs from Uno.

On 7/26/2016 at 9:30 AM, Jake69 said:

Stay The Night should have been the lead single for Uno. 

I was obsessed with that song for about 2 whole months in 8th grade--listened to nothing but it.

1 hour ago, Jake69 said:

Don't you hate the entire trilogy?

I don't hate it, I think it's subpar in the context of Green Day's discography though.

The main problem with the trilogy was the lack of promotion and visibility after iHeart (Warner is to blame here), questionable choice of singles and too many forgettable songs which drowned out the better tracks, something Dos! in particular suffered from. That said, Lazy Bones, Stay the Night, DRB, X-Kid, Walk Away, Brutal Love and the Forgotten are all great songs in their own right, which are alas completely unknown outside the hardcore fanbase.

• Like 1