Trilogy Discussion

When i first heard nitelife i thought wtf & would skip it them one day i gave it a go & it grew on me. Now i like it more than heaps of songs - eg LOTAG 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

I do give them a pass.  It did show the potential that was there.  But, the only song I will listen to is 16

I think that it was alright considering it was their first album but I don't care what people say about how John's drumming was supposed to be "punk", doesn't excuse that it's just awful compared with what Tré has done over the years, even when he was just 12 and playing in The Lookouts (listen to it on YouTube if you don't believe me). At least there's some relief that John Kiffmeyer wasn't playing drums on the trilogy. Nothing against John on his production for other bands though.

Edit: Turns out he was 12 when he first stepped behind the drum kit.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SomeNimrod97 said:

I think that it was alright considering it was their first album but I don't care what people say about how John's drumming was supposed to be "punk", doesn't excuse that it's just awful compared with what Tré has done over the years, even when he was just 12 and playing in The Lookouts (listen to it on YouTube if you don't believe me). At least there's some relief that John Kiffmeyer wasn't playing drums on the trilogy. Nothing against John on his production for other bands though.

Edit: Turns out he was 12 when he first stepped behind the drum kit.

I agree with you John was a n awful drummer

• Like 2

I love Dos, but I agree that the universe is greater in pretty much every way.

4 hours ago, Clayish said:

1,039 has a ton of great songs.....

...said no one ever

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Old Face Magenta 1994 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think this observation can quite easily fit here in this thread for trilogy discussion, so I've merged your thread with it :). Carry on discussing Dos/the trilogy here.

Can't win in an argument....... Compares Trilogy with 39/Smooth.

#AverageGDCers

17 hours ago, Jake69 said:

This just shows that the trilogy was over produced.

I don't think the trilogy is overproduced, they just didn't get the best sound out of the production they did.  The issue, I believe, was that they tried to go for a low-production sound with a high production budget, leading to the records sounding over-produced and not genuine.  Plus, those vocal filters were disappointing.  If they'd gone with traditional production techniques like AI or 21CB, most people wouldn't be complaining.  AI was far more produced, but because it was produced more conventionally people don't notice.

On the debate as to whether they should have given us 18 songs or 37, I think 37 was the right choice.  There are songs I love that would never have made an 18 song album because they aren't as popular.  I like a lot more than 18 songs from the trilogy.  If the band has 37 songs ready to go, I'd rather they release them in quick succession than drag out the release over a few years or not release them at all.  Whether this would have worked with their more commercially successful albums (Dookie, AI, 21CB) is moot because they didn't have that volume of material ready to go.

I think most, if not all, of us can agree that the trilogy wasn't as good as it could have been.  But that doesn't necessarily make it bad.  That's an important distinction that needs to be made.

The production on the trilogy is something I just don't seem to like very much. But there were 37 songs to go through while recording and I guess it was also a bit experimental for them because of the huge amount of songs to record and the concept of releasing 3 albums. Taking this into account it is quite logical that they did not approach this recording like they would have with a 14-18 track album. I think they simply did not have the time to go into every detail of each song for fine tuning. That would have been an impossible job to do within the few months they were in the studio. So with the amount of time they spent recording all 37 songs and the quality of the songs (not the recording quality) it's still an amazing concept and they did a pretty good job with that whole thing. Plus they had lots of fun while recording, which gave us a fun Quatro DVD to watch and enjoy.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Steven Seagull said:

They did. They went back to being Green Day.

I think you should stop hating and give the albums a listen. There are actually distored guitars on there :P

Good point!! I never thought of that. And the tone is clean on every song.

14 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

Again the trilogy wasn't overproduced If the trilogy is overproduced then Dookienis beyond produced... People really need to learn what overproduce actually means...

We get it Tim you've got that producer inside info. But the vocals are overproduced. Yes, I understand the filters were on the previous 2 albums, but they matched the guitars and worked well mostly, without those guitar layers the filter is way off balance.

13 hours ago, velvetgrass said:

I can see how some of the lyrics you mentioned may not be the most inspired, but I don't see anything wrong, subpar, or lazy about the verse quoted above...

He's not even talking about anything. The words are vague and hard to follow.

I'm sad because Z J didn't attend the Green Day song contest. Based on his knowledge he would create the best Green Day like song. :(

• Like 1

I still stand by saying more than 24 tracks from a single artist within the span of 1 album is too much. Also, if you don't like a single track from 1039, what are you doing on this forum.

6 hours ago, Ham Pascale said:

I'd take 39/Smooth over the Trilogy every day, though.

I really like 1039, but almost every song is about Billie *not* having sex with someone.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, SomeNimrod97 said:

I still stand by saying more than 24 tracks from a single artist within the span of 1 album is too much. Also, if you don't like a single track from 1039, what are you doing on this forum.

There are people who do not even like Green Day on this forum anymore. What are they doing on this forum.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SomeNimrod97 said:

Why would you not be allowed to be on this forum if you don't like an album?  It doesn't mean you don't like the rest.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JJ1964 said:

Why would you not be allowed to be on this forum if you don't like an album?  It doesn't mean you don't like the rest.

But I'd say that if you don't like 1 track from each album, you're not a proper fan.

8 hours ago, Steven Seagull said:

...said no one ever

At The Library, Pasalaqcua, Paper Lanterns, Only of You, 16 (that bassline), Green Day.

These are all great songs. You're bugging.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, SomeNimrod97 said:

But I'd say that if you don't like 1 track from each album, you're not a proper fan.

LMAO yikes you guys say the most silliest things

5 minutes ago, SomeNimrod97 said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1